So, about Pinnacle Grill...

Ka Honu

Such angst over an unspecified quantity!

Does the menu state one whole baked potato?  

If you order fries is the quantity specified?

If you order mashed potato do you get two scoops or three?

The menu states 'baked potato'....there is no quantity mentioned.

Now if it wasn't baked, then that's a problem.  Likewise, if they serve you a baked carrot that is also a problem.  If you get potato that has been baked, then, no matter the quantity, you are getting baked potato. If the quantity served is insufficient, then ask for more. Please!

🙄

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

22 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

The Pinnacle lunch menu on my APP for next week's Koningsdam is very similar to the old menu with a few additions. Anyone have the "new" menu mentioned here, both for lunch and dinner?

Here is the link that was posted on another thread: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

So maybe ask for bread? How hard is that?

Brings back my memory of the Josh White song, "One Meatball."  There is a line in that song which is something like "you gets no bread, with one meatball!"  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I half{sic} to admit it's kind of tacky to be cutting corners on one of the least expensive food items on the ship.... I've never NOT expected a whole potato when ordering a baked potato.  No one has. If half a potato is what will be plated it has always been specified as a 'half potato" in every eatery everywhere at least in my lifetime.  Saying this...I personally wouldn't have batted an eye as I am positive I would be well past having had way more than enough to eat by the end of the meal.

Edited by chill6x6

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

So I just looked at the Pinnacle dinner menu. There is a 15 oz "Boneless Ribeye" and a 16 oz "USDA Prime Dry Aged Delmonico" (Delmonico is often used in place of Ribeye". These 2 steaks while being the same cut and approximate weight will not be anywhere near the same size because of the relative water content. Of course there have been many armchair chefs, masters of the back yard Barbeque, commenting on any number of hack on Pinnacle threads, who comment their steak wasn't the cut advertized. 

I thought I made all that clear in earlier posts but was apparently mistaken. Based on the theory that there is no horse too dead to beat I'll give it another try:

I ordered the "Boneless Ribeye" and two of my tablemates ordered the "Delmonico." The Delmonicos were true ribeyes as advertised. The "Boneless Ribeye" was actually a boneless rib steak which included the ribeye plus cap, tail, & fat. The cap (one of the best parts of the cow) and tail are different muscles adjacent to, but NOT part of the ribeye. The fat is, uhh, fat.

One more time - They were DIFFERENT CUTS of meat and that's the ONLY reason they were so different in terms of length, width, and thickness (when raw). It had nothing to do with preparation and cooking. 

Since dry-aging typically reduces a steak's weight by 10-20%, the Delmonico should probably have been slightly smaller and lighter than the "Boneless Ribeye" when served.

OBTW - not sure if I'm considered an "armchair chef" but I can prep and turn out a decent meal and am better than average at "backyard" barbecue. I do, however, realize that doing that for friends and family is nowhere close to the skills and knowledge required to serve hundreds of people (or more) every day. This has nothing to do with those folks - only the ones who write/allow menus which don't accurately reflect the actual dish they're serving. It's like ordering ahi (tuna) and receiving tilapia.

Hopefully this will clarify the original complaint and finish this seemingly endless rant.

Edited by Ka Honu
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Ka Honu said:

Hopefully this will clarify the original complaint and finish this seemingly endless rant.

Unlikely, since a "Delmonico" is basically whatever the person using the term says it is.

While most often a Delmonico is cut from the rib as you describe, there is no universal definition. It's often used as a fancier name for a standard ribeye (which is not just the "eye").  A Delmonico can also be cut from the chuck (usually the eye of chuck), the shoulder, or even the short loin.

If in doubt, it's always best to clarify what cut the "Delmonico" actually is.

The last time I had dinner in the PG, I was dining by myself. My dinner arrived, but the waiter never came back to ask me how it was or if I needed anything else. I wanted dessert and coffee, but he never reappeared. I fled the PG and never went back. I've had better service in a diner.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Roz said:

The last time I had dinner in the PG, I was dining by myself. My dinner arrived, but the waiter never came back to ask me how it was or if I needed anything else. I wanted dessert and coffee, but he never reappeared. I fled the PG and never went back. I've had better service in a diner.

Indeed.  Now we should flip the conversation over to the subject of women dining alone.  It ain't easy. I have total sympathy here.  The invisible lady, that's me.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, albingirl said:

Indeed.  Now we should flip the conversation over to the subject of women dining alone.  It ain't easy. I have total sympathy here.  The invisible lady, that's me.

I hear ya. That said, I had very good service in PG on Volendam. I chose the banquette side of the table, rather than face the wall. When the waiter removed the other place setting, he rearranged the vase, candle, and salt and pepper to fill some of that space so it didn't look, well for want of a better word, so it didn't look lonely. I thought that was a kind gesture. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Roz said:

You shouldn't have to. (ask for bread.)

Agree.  But I suspect there are a lot of us who don't eat the bread.  If they forget the first night and you don't say anything, how do they know you want bread?  They may assume you are keto people.

And I always wonder what happens to the uneaten bread.  Around here, once it is put on table, it has to go in the trash if not eaten.

I applaud the effort to limit food waste.  If you want more you can order it - at least in the MDR.  Quit whining about portions and ask for what you want.  In our experience, the staff in the mdr was happy to bring it.  Our table mate on Konningsdam this spring was disappointed with the portions of cheese on the dessert plate.  Every night thereafter he got a double portion with the crackers he wanted too.  But that is the beauty of fixed dining with the same wait staff.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, badtwin said:

But that is the beauty of fixed dining with the same wait staff.

I have to agree that the same wait staff is important to my dining experience. They get to know your likes and dislikes and they work hard to ensure that any sensitivities and allergens are addressed. This is why I prefer to have fixed dining. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, badtwin said:

Agree.  But I suspect there are a lot of us who don't eat the bread.  If they forget the first night and you don't say anything, how do they know you want bread?  They may assume you are keto people.

And I always wonder what happens to the uneaten bread.  Around here, once it is put on table, it has to go in the trash if not eaten.

I applaud the effort to limit food waste.  If you want more you can order it - at least in the MDR.  Quit whining about portions and ask for what you want.  In our experience, the staff in the mdr was happy to bring it.  Our table mate on Konningsdam this spring was disappointed with the portions of cheese on the dessert plate.  Every night thereafter he got a double portion with the crackers he wanted too.  But that is the beauty of fixed dining with the same wait staff.

Yes, I think I get the gist of your point.  No silverware until you ask.  No water until you beg.  No napkin until you ask.  Want more than a single french fry you need to ask.  Want a bun on your hamburger or hot dog you need to ask for the bun.  Want salt and pepper?  Just ask. Want more than one pat of butter (for a table of 4) you should ask.  Yep, makes sense.

Lets take this to a different level.  We were recently cruising on the Seabourn Encore where DW and I were having pre-dinner cocktails at their Observation Bar (kind of like the Crows Nest).  The bar tender put a large platter in front of me (at the bar) with a double scoop of caviar and all the fixens.  I said to the bar tender, "I did not order any caviar?"  He answered, "but I know you like it!."  And that is the difference and kind of what I used to expect on HAL (although no caviar).  

Hank

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If anyone cares we had an outstanding dinner at the pinnacle earlier this month on Koningsdam. DH had the filet and I had the scallops, yes, it was 1/2 baked potato but it was massive.  They even offered to make me one of their signature gin and tonics to go. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Yes, I think I get the gist of your point.  No silverware until you ask.  No water until you beg.  No napkin until you ask.  Want more than a single french fry you need to ask.  Want a bun on your hamburger or hot dog you need to ask for the bun.  Want salt and pepper?  Just ask. Want more than one pat of butter (for a table of 4) you should ask.  Yep, makes sense.

Lets take this to a different level.  We were recently cruising on the Seabourn Encore where DW and I were having pre-dinner cocktails at their Observation Bar (kind of like the Crows Nest).  The bar tender put a large platter in front of me (at the bar) with a double scoop of caviar and all the fixens.  I said to the bar tender, "I did not order any caviar?"  He answered, "but I know you like it!."  And that is the difference and kind of what I used to expect on HAL (although no caviar).  

Hank

You didn't get gist.

You ever work service? It's hard. Especially to the seriously entitled.

My experience on HAL is service is not always perfect but if you let them know there is a problem or if you like something a certain way, they will do their best to fix it. 

If you save your whinging for cruise critic, it is too late for them to do any better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

Bur you’re talking about an exclusive experience on another line vs what we are purchasing on the Holland America line.  That’s a big difference. We are purchasing the Holland America experience. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Bur you’re talking about an exclusive experience on another line vs what we are purchasing on the Holland America line.  That’s a big difference. We are purchasing the Holland America experience. 

I agree, "that's a big difference."  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, badtwin said:

On our recent cruise, the 2 bread baskets our table of 6 got each had 4 bread items (not all the same).  So no a lot of waste there.

1 hour ago, *Miss G* said:

But why would you come on the Holland America board to promote another line?

Ahhh, so you think the only folks who should post on this board are HAL cheerleaders?  We cruise many different lines of which HAL is one!  We have over 600 days on HAL with a future 35 day HAL cruise on deposit.  I will plead guilty to wanting to see HAL improve to something akin to what we used to know as HAL.  Meanwhile, we call it like we see it!  

I would also point out that this web site is called Cruise "Critic"...not Cruise Cheerleaders.

• Like 1