Having second thoughts regarding cruising with Celebrity

Caipi

2 hours ago, Dottymac said:

Good for you Caipi! I think it is a natural thing to compare whether or not it is done consciously or sub-consciously. I see it as a positive thing. Having just come off our 2nd Celebrity Cruise, it would be impossible not to compare the 2 experiences both good things and not so good things. It is a healthy attitude to have in my opinion. Rarely is anything perfect but it is good to be able to appreciate the positive aspects.

Hope you have a fabulous trip.

Totally understand what you are saying, fully agree.

However, I do think there is a fine balance from boarding a ship with an open mind to see both the strengths of the line and its limitations vs boarding a ship with a ‘fixed’ idea of what you want/expect…

The best comparison posts clearly state the facts of what different ships offer plus manage to describe the ‘feeling’, the ambience of the experience…Often it can be the ‘feeling’ or ambience that makes you prefer one experience to another…Hence, I think, the advice of some to just board and give the experience a go…

47 minutes ago, hcat said:

will be reading..

We found QM 2 not to be very open air.. other than at the pools..but felt snug and secure indoors.. esp following after a big storm.. Ride was smooth as silk!

Been on the QM2, 8 times and the Connie and Solstice class, no E class. On Oceania, Azamara, Viking, Holland, Seaborne.

The QM2 is the most open air passenger ship. The 4 tiered decks at the stern are amazing, the promenade deck is a real promenade, not a compromised one like on cruise ships (except Connie class)  AND the best of all, the open air observation segment at the very front underneath the bridge. The wings extend out from the main part of the ship, you can see the entire QM2 other than the stern area. There is no glass, no protection, all open air. Further, while sailing you can go out from the promenade and enter the bow area where the extra propellors are - like WOW.

Oh, and on the bridge level, you can take an elevator and stand by a glass window and see the entire bridge and all the staff and many computers. The staff often smile and wave, it is unlike any other ship I have been on.

QM2 is an ocean liner, not a cruise ship. 

A very different experience from a cruise ship, the QM2 is my preference indeed. 

Go try and see what your preference is, you will not know unless you try.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Caipi said:

Thank you. 🙂 And actually after all I read here I am not worried anymore. However I don't think I will see the Captain... or will I? 🙂

Officers including the Captain are often to be found in the coffee shop (The Al Bacio), also at the long table if you  enter the buffet using the left hand entrance.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Caipi said:

We are in the waitlist for 6 pm, however, I booked directly at the EU site of Celebrity.

But that's not a real problem, we could just use the Buffet, but of course we are curious how the MDR is. 

Not sure how things work in the EU.  Here's what I would do.  When you board, drop your carry on bags in your cabin and then go look for the maitre d' who is dealing with the dining rooms (probably somewhere in the vicinity of the MDR--there are two levels, so check both).  Ask to be switched to select dining.  They can usually make that happen by the next night.  Then you can dine at whatever time suits you.  If you wish to dine at a set time every night, you can arrange that with the maitre d' for select dining.  And obviously the early fixed dining time is a possibility also if that suits you better.  Follow the steps above to get switched to that.  Then relax and enjoy!

I'm glad that it seems as if you have decided to ignore all the bad comments and go and make up your own mind.  You may be pleasantly surprised at how much you enjoy Celebrity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Not sure how things work in the EU.  Here's what I would do.  When you board, drop your carry on bags in your cabin and then go look for the maitre d' who is dealing with the dining rooms (probably somewhere in the vicinity of the MDR--there are two levels, so check both).  Ask to be switched to select dining.  They can usually make that happen by the next night.  Then you can dine at whatever time suits you.  If you wish to dine at a set time every night, you can arrange that with the maitre d' for select dining.  And obviously the early fixed dining time is a possibility also if that suits you better.  Follow the steps above to get switched to that.  Then relax and enjoy!

I'm glad that it seems as if you have decided to ignore all the bad comments and go and make up your own mind.  You may be pleasantly surprised at how much you enjoy Celebrity.

Thank you very much for your kind words, and for the advice, will do that! 

16 minutes ago, chemmo said:

Totally understand what you are saying, fully agree.

However, I do think there is a fine balance from boarding a ship with an open mind to see both the strengths of the line and its limitations vs boarding a ship with a ‘fixed’ idea of what you want/expect…

The best comparison posts clearly state the facts of what different ships offer plus manage to describe the ‘feeling’, the ambience of the experience…Often it can be the ‘feeling’ or ambience that makes you prefer one experience to another…Hence, I think, the advice of some to just board and give the experience a go…

I agree. My point was trying to say that just telling someone not to compare, when they have come to this forum for specific help/advice because they want to compare ships, is not helpful to them. I was trying to say comparison is healthy whether it is performed in a more structured, analytical way (through the use of these forums for example) or just from having an open mind and reviewing aspects of the cruise "in the moment". This is opposed to the approach of "Don't compare". The OP was asking for advice/help because they want to compare specific aspects of the different ships, especially as they had read some reviews which were of concern to them. 

I agree with your description of the best comparison posts. The difficulty comes when the advice on comparison posts does not "state the facts of what different ships offer plus manage to describe the ‘feeling’, the ambience of the experience". From my experience of this forum quite a lot of the advice/opinion is not presented in a balanced and helpful way but rather a negative and abrupt way and that it turn creates more queries for an OP. This in turn creates more responses which appear to be negative to the OP. This may not be intentional but it is how it can come across.

Fortunately there are some constructive and helpful responses too which is good to see and why this forum can be helpful.

• Like 3

Just accept they are all different. QM2 is a much more formal cruise line with strict dress requirements. I've spent more time on Cunard QM2 than any other ship. Sometimes for us that's a turn off if we just want a total chill out holiday. We've been on Silhouette and also Solstice. Our edge experience was Covid cancelled twice. My luggage is always heavier on Cunard. Viking is fabulous, love the beautiful ships. Not so much a fan of Princess.   Our next 3 ocean cruises are on Celebrity but suspect the Cunard loving UK family will try sneak us on a Cunard cruise in the middle somewhere. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Pushka said:

Just accept they are all different. QM2 is a much more formal cruise line with strict dress requirements. I've spent more time on Cunard QM2 than any other ship. Sometimes for us that's a turn off if we just want a total chill out holiday. We've been on Silhouette and also Solstice. Our edge experience was Covid cancelled twice. My luggage is always heavier on Cunard. Viking is fabulous, love the beautiful ships. Not so much a fan of Princess.   Our next 3 ocean cruises are on Celebrity but suspect the Cunard loving UK family will try sneak us on a Cunard cruise in the middle somewhere. 

🙂

Of course I accept they are different that's why I choose Silhouette, to see what / how the difference is. 

Regarding the dress code on QM2, we bought some clothes because of that, (but nothing for the 'themes',) but I don't think next time we will even take those with us. A lot of Germans (we boarded in Hamburg) never went to the MDR and just ran around in jeans and T-shirts and went to the buffet or the pub to eat. They dress much sportier than say, we Hungarians anyway. But we wanted to experience how the MDR is, and the dressing up on a ship itself. But it was enough one time, it's really too much fuss with the luggage. 

25 minutes ago, Dottymac said:

I agree. My point was trying to say that just telling someone not to compare, when they have come to this forum for specific help/advice because they want to compare ships, is not helpful to them. I was trying to say comparison is healthy whether it is performed in a more structured, analytical way (through the use of these forums for example) or just from having an open mind and reviewing aspects of the cruise "in the moment". This is opposed to the approach of "Don't compare". The OP was asking for advice/help because they want to compare specific aspects of the different ships, especially as they had read some reviews which were of concern to them. 

I agree with your description of the best comparison posts. The difficulty comes when the advice on comparison posts does not "state the facts of what different ships offer plus manage to describe the ‘feeling’, the ambience of the experience". From my experience of this forum quite a lot of the advice/opinion is not presented in a balanced and helpful way but rather a negative and abrupt way and that it turn creates more queries for an OP. This in turn creates more responses which appear to be negative to the OP. This may not be intentional but it is how it can come across.

Fortunately there are some constructive and helpful responses too which is good to see and why this forum can be helpful.

I’m not sure what feeling I’m supposed to express when reviewing a cruise ship?  There are plenty of people who gush about this place or that place on board.  Or give in depth biographies of the crew.  I have no interest in that.  

For me, it’s a cruise ship, and it can be exciting but it’s not a life changing event.  So is my opinion not useful unless I make someone feel special?

1 minute ago, Caipi said:

🙂

Of course I accept they are different that's why I choose Silhouette, to see what / how the difference is. 

Regarding the dress code on QM2, we bought some clothes because of that, (but nothing for the 'themes',) but I don't think next time we will even take those with us. A lot of Germans (we boarded in Hamburg) never went to the MDR and just ran around in jeans and T-shirts and went to the buffet or the pub to eat. They dress much sportier than say, we Hungarians anyway. But we wanted to experience how the MDR is, and the dressing up on a ship itself. But it was enough one time, it's really too much fuss with the luggage. 

Different clothes?  I thought there was no class system on Cunard?

8 minutes ago, zitsky said:

On Cunard, the dress code applies to all; it is a bit more formal than cruise ships, but no suits etc are required; sport jacket is fine and generally only on formal nights. Nothing to in your face at all.

There is no class "system" on Cunard, other than there are separate spaces for Princess and Queens grill. There is no Haven, no separate segmented space like on MSC, NCL etc. Cunard is much less class based than on Celebrity and the other lines noted above.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, QuestionEverything said:

Been on the QM2, 8 times and the Connie and Solstice class, no E class. On Oceania, Azamara, Viking, Holland, Seaborne.

The QM2 is the most open air passenger ship. The 4 tiered decks at the stern are amazing, the promenade deck is a real promenade, not a compromised one like on cruise ships (except Connie class)  AND the best of all, the open air observation segment at the very front underneath the bridge. The wings extend out from the main part of the ship, you can see the entire QM2 other than the stern area. There is no glass, no protection, all open air. Further, while sailing you can go out from the promenade and enter the bow area where the extra propellors are - like WOW.

Oh, and on the bridge level, you can take an elevator and stand by a glass window and see the entire bridge and all the staff and many computers. The staff often smile and wave, it is unlike any other ship I have been on.

QM2 is an ocean liner, not a cruise ship. 

A very different experience from a cruise ship, the QM2 is my preference indeed. 

Go try and see what your preference is, you will not know unless you try.

intetesting.. guess we missed all the open air.. we were behind a  big storm so most everything was indoors. We  loved the planetarium library, downstairs club,  lunch pub and theatre

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, zitsky said:

You must have never sailed on Cunard.   It is no more a classed ship than Celebrity.   Different restaurants for different staterooms, a lounge for the Grill passengers that is not policed, and a small outside deck for Grill passengers.   There is no special seating for the Theater or any other venue.    Passengers do dress for dinner and there are Gala “Formal” evenings where dark suits or tuxedos are normally seen.  Cunard does lack the red carpet boarding for Grill passengers that I have experienced on Celebrity.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

When I had my first Celebrity cruise I did notice the class system. It was most apparent for the dining rooms.  Suites eat in Lumina.  Aqua in Blue, and the rest in the MDR.  It can be a bit awkward if you meet a couple that you would like to dine with, and they are in a different cabin class.  Plus, on my first cruise I went to what looked like a dining room and was told it was for a different cabin class.

Nothing like that on my last AMA Waterways cruise, where everyone ate in the same dining room and had access to the Chef's table...  All public areas of the ship everyone had access to.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, hcat said:

intetesting.. guess we missed all the open air.. we were behind a  big storm so most everything was indoors. We  loved the planetarium library, downstairs club,  lunch pub and theatre

hcat, the weather can do that for sure, especially on a crossing.

I have done 8 crossings and mostly good weather (thanks mother nature!).

But in strong wind, cross winds and bad weather, they close most doors with blue bands which preclude exploring the ship.

Next time on QM2 check out the areas that I mentioned - these are not to be found on any other ship I know of - makes QM2 totally unique.

I agree all the spaces you mentioned are amazing.

hcat - did you get to the ocean liner museum venue, deck 3, forward, just past the planetarium? Spectacular. Especially the photograph of a captain on the Queen Mary and guests at a table - one of the guests was reported to say:

"Captain, what time does this place get there?"

Enjoy your travels hcat!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

You must have never sailed on Cunard.   It is no more a classed ship than Celebrity.   Different restaurants for different staterooms, a lounge for the Grill passengers that is not policed, and a small outside deck for Grill passengers.   There is no special seating for the Theater or any other venue.    Passengers do dress for dinner and there are Gala “Formal” evenings where dark suits or tuxedos are normally seen.  Cunard does lack the red carpet boarding for Grill passengers that I have experienced on Celebrity.

Are you saying there are NOT different restaurants for different cabins on Cunard or there ARE different restaurants?

I always wear a tux when I drive my Mercedes so I’d fit right in.

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

Are you saying there are NOT different restaurants for different cabins on Cunard or there ARE different restaurants?

I always wear a tux when I drive my Mercedes so I’d fit right in.

There are different restaurants for Princess Grills and the higher level Grills. Queens? Kings? 😂 Also a different restaurant for Britannia Club. The rest dine in the Britannia. 

2 minutes ago, Pushka said:

There are different restaurants for Princess Grills and the higher level Grills. Queens? Kings? 😂 Also a different restaurant for Britannia Club. The rest dine in the Britannia. 

But that can’t be right?  Everyone keeps telling me how Cunard is the example of a classless cruise line?  😳

Next you’ll tell me that there are different categories of cabins, all at different prices on Cunard???  😭

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, zitsky said:

But that can’t be right?  Everyone keeps telling me how Cunard is the example of a classless cruise line?  😳

I think that they are.  Every time I try to book Southhampton to NY.  They are always in NY 🤣🤣  I can't swim that far ...

I suppose that I will have to settle for mountain climbing instead 🏔️🚠🏔️ 🏔️🚠🏔️  🏔️🚠🏔️  🏔️🚠🏔️  🏔️🚠🏔️  🏔️🚠🏔️  🏔️🚠🏔️  🏔️🚠🏔️  🏔️🚠🏔️  🏔️🚠🏔️ 

Edited by NMTraveller

9 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

I think that they are.  Every time I try to book Southhampton to NY.  They are always in NY 🤣🤣  I can't swim that far ...

I suppose that I will have to settle for mountain climbing instead 🏔️🚠🏔️ 🏔️🚠🏔️  🏔️🚠🏔️  🏔️🚠🏔️  🏔️🚠🏔️  🏔️🚠🏔️  🏔️🚠🏔️  🏔️🚠🏔️  🏔️🚠🏔️  🏔️🚠🏔️ 

Different restaurants?  Different prices for cabins?  Have to wear a jacket to dinner?  No, it sounds pretty much like Celebrity.  Except for the jacket and tuxedo.  I’m guessing Cunard is the same price as Celebrity?  Maybe I should try it.

11 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Different restaurants?  Different prices for cabins?  Have to wear a jacket to dinner?  No, it sounds pretty much like Celebrity.  Except for the jacket and tuxedo.  I’m guessing Cunard is the same price as Celebrity?  Maybe I should try it.

I tried to book them pre cruise and post cruise.  They were always in NY 🤣

12 hours ago, QuestionEverything said:

hcat, the weather can do that for sure, especially on a crossing.

I have done 8 crossings and mostly good weather (thanks mother nature!).

But in strong wind, cross winds and bad weather, they close most doors with blue bands which preclude exploring the ship.

Next time on QM2 check out the areas that I mentioned - these are not to be found on any other ship I know of - makes QM2 totally unique.

I agree all the spaces you mentioned are amazing.

hcat - did you get to the ocean liner museum venue, deck 3, forward, just past the planetarium? Spectacular. Especially the photograph of a captain on the Queen Mary and guests at a table - one of the guests was reported to say:

"Captain, what time does this place get there?"

Enjoy your travels hcat!

it was awhile ago..but not a Crossing..a trip up to Canada.

Loved the ship and hope to cross on it.. esp if they have a special ballet or music offering..

do not recall the museum,  but enjoyed  self guided art tour, the special afternoon tea  and the fabulous spa area, therapy rms and T pool!

X is our go to but would knky do ghe Crossing on  a Cunard Ocean Liner.

My aunt did that many yrs ago.. we all went onboard for a gala white glove  sailaway party... Once back on shore we waved Bon Voyage ..streamers flying.  A Lifelong Memory!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

I tried to book them pre cruise and post cruise.  They were always in NY 🤣

My butler and valet say they prefer the inside cabins on Celebrity.  I keep telling them, I know Cunard is twice as much, but it is a more egalitarian experience.  They’re not convinced.  😂

5 minutes ago, hcat said:

do not recall the museum,  but enjoyed  self guided art tour, the special afternoon tea  and the fabulous spa area, therapy rms and T pool!

That sounds nice.  I wonder if that is why Cunard costs twice as much as Celebrity.  I’ll try to convince my poor relations to try it.

21 hours ago, wwcruisers said:

Boy, as Rodney Dangerfield used to say "This is a tough room"!😆 I recently went to the Oceania boards, looking for some comparisons to X  -- from folks who have cruised both. I'm just glad that I didn't get boo'ed off the stage, there!😉(Actually, they were very gracious and helpful😇).

To the OP: Although I have never sailed on Cunard, I would love to sail the QM2 some day.But, if I were to cruise Cunard, I would go in with a totally different set of expectations than those I have for X or RC. I would expect a more formal experience with emphasis on tradition, on Cunard. Whereas X is more comfortable and casual, in its approach to a cruise vacation. And, if you are looking for a 'Goldilocks' ship -- somewhere between the brand-new Edge Class, and the classic M-class ships -- I can't think of a better option than Silhouette. BTW -- Nigel Smyth (if he is still at the helm) is a great Captain!

Interesting perspective.   We will be taking our first Cunard cruise in about 2 weeks.   I'm going in with no per-conceived expectations.  

I'm noticing little differences like No App, CheckIn and Luggage Tags.   Also their is no Cruise Document.    Differences but really not affecting us at all.

A day on any cruise ship is better than a day at home.