Having second thoughts regarding cruising with Celebrity

Caipi

1 hour ago, budmeister said:

. If you pay for a suite, you get some extra spaces you can be in. If you don't you, you don't know what you are missing.

@Caipi I agree with @budmeister.  I've sailed on celebrity S class ships multiple times, not in a suite, and loved each experience.  Silhouette is my favorite ship.  I love the  layout and the crew is always amazing.

I did not at all feel like there was a class system.  I do think that the crew on the ships tries to make each guest feel  important and enjoy their cruise.

I hope you do proceed, and I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

• Like 2

Been sailing for over 40 years. Have sailed most of the major lines. I have NEVER had a bad cruise with Celebrity! NEVER! Go, enjoy, and make up your own mind.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kaysha2004 said:

Don't worry about your dining time at 8:30. Anytime dining is just as its phrased, anytime. What I've been doing lately is ignoring all preassigned dining times and just show up for Anytime dining. It's not a problem. It's your vacation. You can eat when you want.

You can’t just show up for “anytime dining” on Celebrity (which is called “select dining”) unless you are confirmed for that. The OP is not, as it was already booked. But they should get on the waitlist for it and, if not confirmed before boarding, they should immediately see the Maitre d’ in the MDR upon boarding as others have said. 

It sounds like you’ve successfully been able to ignore your assigned early or late dining times and been seated whenever you decided to arrive, but the OP can’t be sure that will happen to them, as that’s not how dining works on the S-class ships.  

Posted (edited)

Cunard does have several classes and restaurants only for guests booked in certain cabins and also special lounging areas. (Queens, Princess and Britannia Club). 

We've cruised on Cunard multiple times, also Celebrity, Viking and Princess. Celebrity is something we enjoy for fun. But we've loved them all.   We always use Select Dining. Although Cunard didn't offer that when we cruised with them. And there's always the buffet. 

Edited by Pushka
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, kaysha2004 said:

Don't worry about your dining time at 8:30. Anytime dining is just as its phrased, anytime. What I've been doing lately is ignoring all preassigned dining times and just show up for Anytime dining. It's not a problem. It's your vacation. You can eat when you want.

I assume you referring to cruises on E Class as your suggestion won't work on S or M Class - E Class operates with a totally different system.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, hcat said:

they are not comparable..

one is an Ocean Liner, the other is a cruise ship.. 

But they have lots in common. They are ships, take paying passengers and provide food, drink and entertainment, and sail around the world. Why are they not comparable - because one is called a cruise ship and the other an ocean liner? 

• Like 2

We have been multiple times on QM2 - and on S Class Celebrity ships like Silhouette.

We love them both - other posters are correct. They are not comparable and you should not do it - particularly ahead of your cruise

Enjoy your time on Silhouette

On 10/7/2024 at 2:28 AM, Caipi said:

What are your thoughts, and / or could you give me some advice?

Should I just stop reading topics / reviews about Celebrity Silhouette and see for myself?

We would never book or not book a cruise line, ship, itinerary, etc. based on others opinions or  experiences. Positive or negative.  I enjoy reading all posts concerning others cruises.  

• Like 1

Stay tuned.    I will be doing a live post in about 2 weeks comparing Cunard QM2 to Celebrity Silhouette.   It may not answer your questions as I will be traveling in Queen's Grill and in an Upper Suite on Celebrity. 

I've been on Silhouette about a dozen times and really don't find it all that "Class" divided.   Yes they do have a Private Sundeck, a Retreat Lounge and a Suite Dining Room.    I would say that those area's only make up about 5% of the total ship.    I can't see how this would affect anyone's enjoyment of a cruise that is not in a suite.

• Like 6

18 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Ignore the haters...you've gotten lots of great intel and advice in this thread...And by starting the topic, I was prompted to look into Cunard.  So thank you.

Thank you too. 🙂

15 hours ago, toucan49 said:

Have your travel agent put you on a waiting list for the 6 pm dining. That's what we do and we have always gotten early dining.

We are in the waitlist for 6 pm, however, I booked directly at the EU site of Celebrity.

But that's not a real problem, we could just use the Buffet, but of course we are curious how the MDR is. 

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Stay tuned.    I will be doing a live post in about 2 weeks comparing Cunard QM2 to Celebrity Silhouette.   It may not answer your questions as I will be traveling in Queen's Grill and in an Upper Suite on Celebrity. 

I've been on Silhouette about a dozen times and really don't find it all that "Class" divided.   Yes they do have a Private Sundeck, a Retreat Lounge and a Suite Dining Room.    I would say that those area's only make up about 5% of the total ship.    I can't see how this would affect anyone's enjoyment of a cruise that is not in a suite.

Wow that will be great. 🙂

The truth is, I chose Silhouette because it's really different from QM2, first I wanted to book the Infinity but I thought maybe the experience would be too much like on QM2. (Older ship, not so much entertainment etc.) I knew the Edge-class is definitely not for us.  

Although several people wrote I should not compare, I still intend to as well, but I don't want to state this or that ship is better; I just want to know which kind of cruising is BETTER FOR US. The oldfashioned way, on a real ship which looks like a ship 🙂, with lots of open and outdoor spaces, a Titanic-kind of nostalgia, (without the iceberg!), lots of history and tradition or a more modern kind with lots of restaurants and pools, design and eyecatcher furniture and and younger people on board. Normally I am for modern as opposed to traditional, but in that case I just don't know. 

And of course I absolutely do not know for sure, but for me it seems cruises on QM2 are more expensive, but everything on board is cheaper. (Gratuities, Wi.Fi, drinks or drink packages...) 

Edited by Caipi
  • Like 1

Good for you Caipi! I think it is a natural thing to compare whether or not it is done consciously or sub-consciously. I see it as a positive thing. Having just come off our 2nd Celebrity Cruise, it would be impossible not to compare the 2 experiences both good things and not so good things. It is a healthy attitude to have in my opinion. Rarely is anything perfect but it is good to be able to appreciate the positive aspects.

Hope you have a fabulous trip.

28 minutes ago, Dottymac said:

Good for you Caipi! I think it is a natural thing to compare whether or not it is done consciously or sub-consciously. I see it as a positive thing. Having just come off our 2nd Celebrity Cruise, it would be impossible not to compare the 2 experiences both good things and not so good things. It is a healthy attitude to have in my opinion. Rarely is anything perfect but it is good to be able to appreciate the positive aspects.

Hope you have a fabulous trip.

Thank you! 🙂 I wish you fabulous trips as well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

You’re not allowed to compare them Jim - you not read the other posts saying so???? 😂

• Haha 1

What I find confusing (hilarious?) are that most of the posts on this forum are people comparing one ship (or thing or experience) to another and asking for advice/experience from others and get responses. This poster is doing exactly the same and getting told categorically NOT to compare. I don't see that on the other posts. Be kind and be helpful. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Caipi said:

The truth is, I chose Silhouette because it's really different from QM2, first I wanted to book the Infinity but I thought maybe the experience would be too much like on QM2. (Older ship, not so much entertainment etc.) I knew the Edge-class is definitely not for us.  

Although several people wrote I should not compare, I still intend to as well, but I don't want to state this or that ship is better; I just want to know which kind of cruising is BETTER FOR US. The oldfashioned way, on a real ship which looks like a ship 🙂, with lots of open and outdoor spaces, a Titanic-kind of nostalgia, (without the iceberg!), lots of history and tradition or a more modern kind with lots of restaurants and pools, design and eyecatcher furniture and and younger people on board. Normally I am for modern as opposed to traditional, but in that case I just don't know. 

And of course I absolutely do not know for sure, but for me it seems cruises on QM2 are more expensive, but everything on board is cheaper. (Gratuities, Wi.Fi, drinks or drink packages...) 

I've sailed Celebrity exclusively for almost 25 years mostly in upper suites and am looking for other alternatives going forward.  

I'm positive that no two lines will be the same and fully anticipate that Cunard will be a totally different experience than Celebrity.   Much of your enjoyment will be dependent on both expectation and what you like to do while on a cruise.  

We personally don't go to many shows and don't participate on most of the activities put on by the activities staff. 

If you are looking to have forward facing ocean views you can use the Spa Veranda which is accessible by two doors from the Fitness Center.   This area is virtually never used and is open to all.

image.png.4461827c74edfa3cbaad272b38bc3a1c.png

CelRes-73721-1493710760.webp.e69332eae243b782be2450461e3d7cc0.webp

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Caipi said:

will be reading..

We found QM 2 not to be very open air.. other than at the pools..but felt snug and secure indoors.. esp following after a big storm.. Ride was smooth as silk!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I've sailed Celebrity exclusively for almost 25 years mostly in upper suites and am looking for other alternatives going forward.  

I'm positive that no two lines will be the same and fully anticipate that Cunard will be a totally different experience than Celebrity.   Much of your enjoyment will be dependent on both expectation and what you like to do while on a cruise.  

We personally don't go to many shows and don't participate on most of the activities put on by the activities staff. 

If you are looking to have forward facing ocean views you can use the Spa Veranda which is accessible by two doors from the Fitness Center.   This area is virtually never used and is open to all.

image.png.4461827c74edfa3cbaad272b38bc3a1c.png

CelRes-73721-1493710760.webp.e69332eae243b782be2450461e3d7cc0.webp

Thank you very much, somebody already wrote about this. I originally had thought (and even read somewhere) that was only for Spa-guests. I don't know whether it won't be weird when we go through in our normal clothes between people working out, but we will do it anyway. 🙂

We are not interested in shows & entertainment either, we saw one movie on QM2 and one graphic show with U2 music in their Planetarium. (And missed the one show we wanted to see because of our mobile phones showing the wrong time.) But of course we will attend at least one show given that we will have reserved seats. 🙂 I hope they will not freeze us, before reading that 'the coldest ship ever' sentence I forgot how freezing cold every train / bus / subway in the U.S. was. 

23 minutes ago, hcat said:

will be reading..

We found QM 2 not to be very open air.. other than at the pools..but felt snug and secure indoors.. esp following after a big storm.. Ride was smooth as silk!

Besides the pool areas there are several forward facing 'lookouts', and a wraparound promenade deck. And these are on deck 13 and above:

22.jpg

26.jpg

Boy, as Rodney Dangerfield used to say "This is a tough room"!😆 I recently went to the Oceania boards, looking for some comparisons to X  -- from folks who have cruised both. I'm just glad that I didn't get boo'ed off the stage, there!😉(Actually, they were very gracious and helpful😇).

To the OP: Although I have never sailed on Cunard, I would love to sail the QM2 some day.But, if I were to cruise Cunard, I would go in with a totally different set of expectations than those I have for X or RC. I would expect a more formal experience with emphasis on tradition, on Cunard. Whereas X is more comfortable and casual, in its approach to a cruise vacation. And, if you are looking for a 'Goldilocks' ship -- somewhere between the brand-new Edge Class, and the classic M-class ships -- I can't think of a better option than Silhouette. BTW -- Nigel Smyth (if he is still at the helm) is a great Captain!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, wwcruisers said:

Boy, as Rodney Dangerfield used to say "This is a tough room"!😆 I recently went to the Oceania boards, looking for some comparisons to X  -- from folks who have cruised both. I'm just glad that I didn't get boo'ed off the stage, there!😉(Actually, they were very gracious and helpful😇).

To the OP: Although I have never sailed on Cunard, I would love to sail the QM2 some day.But, if I were to cruise Cunard, I would go in with a totally different set of expectations than those I have for X or RC. I would expect a more formal experience with emphasis on tradition, on Cunard. Whereas X is more comfortable and casual, in its approach to a cruise vacation. And, if you are looking for a 'Goldilocks' ship -- somewhere between the brand-new Edge Class, and the classic M-class ships -- I can't think of a better option than Silhouette. BTW -- Nigel Smyth (if he is still at the helm) is a great Captain!

Thank you. 🙂 And actually after all I read here I am not worried anymore. However I don't think I will see the Captain... or will I? 🙂

Just now, Caipi said:

Thank you. 🙂 And actually after all I read here I am not worried anymore. However I don't think I will see the Captain... or will I? 🙂

If you see a picture of him onboard -- you might recognize him, around the ship. Last year, I ran into him (so to speak) at the ice cream station in the buffet (Oceanview Cafe).

• Like 1

OMG!  Please do not cruise on Cunard then lecture me about the “class system” on Celebrity.  That is just hilarious.  I choose to sail on Celebrity because it has all kind of passengers.  They even let former secretaries like me book mini suites and eat in Luminae.  😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1