mobility scooter/chair overnight

sandancer

I have found a post on another cruise line forum claiming that any and all mobility devices are allowed to stay in hallways during the day and overnight on Princess ships.  If this is true I will considering cancelling the 3 Princess cruises we have booked. This is way too dangerous in an emergency, especially for my other half who uses a wheelchair - which is never left outside the cabin. 

Edited by sandancer
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, sandancer said:

I have found a post on another cruise line forum claiming that any and all mobility devices are allowed to stay in hallways during the day and overnight on Princess ships.  If this is true I will considering cancelling the 3 Princess cruises we have booked. This is way too dangerous in an emergency, especially for my other half who uses a wheelchair - which is never left outside the cabin. 

Never seen one left in the hallway during the day or night. 

I can see someone leaving it during the day, if they are just going quickly in and out, but definitely not at night. I'm almost positive Princess follows the same rules requiring scooters and wheelchairs to be stored in the cabin overnight.

However, there are some cruisers who think the rules don't apply to them.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

I can see someone leaving it during the day, if they are just going quickly in and out, but definitely not at night. I'm almost positive Princess follows the same rules requiring scooters and wheelchairs to be stored in the cabin overnight.

However, there are some cruisers who think the rules don't apply to them.

Cabins can be evacuated any time, day or night, it's never allowed. We had cabins evacuated on our last cruise. 

If there is one left out, I will move it so that my wife's wheelchair can pass.  Same goes for the steward's carts.  Generally if there is an issue with a steward obstructing the hallway after he/she has been asked, a call to a housekeeping supervisor will generally resolve the issue.  I know how to move scooters/wheelchairs even if they are powered off (and I do have keys to the rental scooters.)

This is what the princess.com site says about mobility devices. I’m sure all of it , is subject to change, but I would think that everything would have to be cleared from the hallway and if it’s not ….a call to security or a call to the guest services desk or whoever you need to call to take care of the situation.

I know everything that you read on the Internet or on princess.com isn’t actually what happens once onboard a ship and yes, it can vary from ship to ship, etc.… 

This is from Princess.com under FAQ’s under mobility & it is a portion of what it says.

Your mobility device must be securely stored in your stateroom when not in use. This will ensure that hallways and other public areas are clear for other guests and crew to safely move throughout the ship. We do not offer alternate locations for mobility device storage onboard. For assistance onboard with charging your equipment in your stateroom, please contact your stateroom attendant.

Edited by arizonaperson
  • Thanks 1

We always get an accessible cabin just for this reason. While her scooter may fit through the door of a regular cabin, with the accessible cabin she can even turn it around in it.

3 hours ago, HotRoot said:

On three different ships there have been scooters charging by the elevators during the night.

Yes, we have also seen this even though it's "prohibited".

3 hours ago, HotRoot said:

On three different ships there have been scooters charging by the elevators during the night.

The stewards are good about doing this for passengers who are using mobility scooters.  Then they'll even bring them back in the morning so that they can be used.  They do not expect any type of gratitude for their service and they do understand that those who are impaired may not have the monetary resources to do so, but an expression of thanks, I'm sure, would be an unexpected gift.

7 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

Cabins can be evacuated any time, day or night, it's never allowed. We had cabins evacuated on our last cruise. 

I never said it was allowed, just that I can see someone doing so during the day. 

I am presently on a ship using a mobility scooter.  I have a std cabin meaning not disabled accessibility.  It isn’t easy manipulating in and out of cabin, but I do it.

i did read somewhere that princess might be considering that with scooters and wheelchairs in the future you will have to book accessibility cabins only.  Should be interesting.

Official Princess policy is under "Mobility Equipment Guidance" under "Health & Accessibility" in Pre-Cruise FAQ.

If you will be traveling with a scooter, wheelchair, or other mobility device, you need to submit a Mobility Questionnaire to Princess at least sixty days prior to your departure. The questionnaire asks for the type, weight, and dimensions of the mobility device. If lists a maximum width of 22" in a standard cabin or 31" in an accessible cabin.

If you have a larger mobility device, they may not let you board. However, you can use a collapsible wheelchair in a standard cabin as long as you or a traveling companion can collapse it and take it through the door and you can walk through the door to the chair. There is a major difference between someone who is wheelchair confined and someone who needs a wheelchair or scooter for distances but is able to walk the short distance from the cabin into the hallway.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Knickearth said:

I am presently on a ship using a mobility scooter.  I have a std cabin meaning not disabled accessibility.  It isn’t easy manipulating in and out of cabin, but I do it.

i did read somewhere that princess might be considering that with scooters and wheelchairs in the future you will have to book accessibility cabins only.  Should be interesting.

P&O and Cunard are enforcing this now for motorised scooters and chairs. If it is a manual wheelchair and complies with the sizes specified by the cruise line then you can book a standard cabin. 

2 minutes ago, sandancer said:

P&O and Cunard are enforcing this now for motorised scooters and chairs. If it is a manual wheelchair and complies with the sizes specified by the cruise line then you can book a standard cabin. 

I believe I also read that P&O are concerned with the evacuation procedures for mobility impaired passengers and the number of evacuation chairs needed and staff to assist with them. Some cruisers had their cruise booking cancelled due to this.

I know if I found a mobility scooter left regularly outside a cabin I would be sure to call guest services to get it moved. 

You are right, evacuation chairs are a hot subject on the P&O forum. I think this situation is creating a scenario where booking close to sailing when often prices have dropped, especially after final payment is just not going to be possible for anyone with mobility issues. In order to guarantee an evac chair you need to book as soon as the cruises are on sale which doesn’t suit many people. 

10 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Am 7 days into a 21 day TA.  Have never seen a scooter blocking a hallway at any time.  Have seen overnight in areas near elevators but note they are put in area where it blocks nothing.

Blocks nothing?  The areas near the elevators and stairs -- all of it -- are part of your emergency evacuation route.

7 hours ago, R**T said:

Blocks nothing?  The areas near the elevators and stairs -- all of it -- are part of your emergency evacuation route.

If you look, you'll probably see that the areas where those chairs are placed, they're not blocking anything.  The stewards often place them there and charge them for the passengers during the night.  Then they'll bring the device back to the passenger when they need it for the day.

On 10/10/2024 at 5:43 PM, sandancer said:

We are currently on Sky Princess and have not noticed any mobility devices left outside cabins, I have had a wander along several corridors during our way back to the cabin. There are lots of people with various devices as we are round trip from Southampton. As we are currently having a cuppa on deck five I asked at reception whether they are having any issues with people leaving devices in corridors, they say that this is not allowed and if anyone reported an issue it would be dealt with swiftly (Which is what I would expect the answer to be).

• Like 1

17 hours ago, SiliconCruiser said:

If you look, you'll probably see that the areas where those chairs are placed, they're not blocking anything.  The stewards often place them there and charge them for the passengers during the night.  Then they'll bring the device back to the passenger when they need it for the day.

"not blocking anything" and "not allowed to be stored in those areas per the ship's safety plan" are two different things. They're not allowed to be stored in passageways, including the entirety of the elevator lobbies (yes, even in the corner).

Really the stews should not be placing them there. Honestly, your post is the first mention of such a thing I have ever seen.