🐾🐾 Sea Dog is Live! Tiki, Tacos and Tequila: Navigator, October 18-25

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"And another from Sea Dog! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic! See your post featured on our: Click: Cruise Reports page. When you return, please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

Sea Dog was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

Prologue

Cruise-aholicscopy.thumb.jpg.01cbbc185c169100c333d6f17e3712cd.jpg\

It’s a darkened room with a circle of chairs. I see silhouetted figures sitting facing each other. A man stands up and faces the group. He says “Hello everyone my name is Sea Dog”… (audience greets in unison “Hi Sea Dog” )… "and I... . am a Cruiseaholic who is addicted to cruising.”

I think to myself ‘hmmmmm. A Cruiseaholic on Royal Caribbean is like an alcoholic who swapped the bar for a buffet: both seek escape, but one does it with all-you-can-eat tacos while the other clings to a cocktail like it’s a life raft. The Cruiseaholic obsessively plans their cruise around deck parties, excursions and sunset views, while the alcoholic plans around happy hour and last call. One’s got a sun hat and a lounge chair, the other’s got a barstool and a frozen drink that has a Kraken floater." In the end, interestedly they both end up in the same place……. a good time.’

……..Suddenly I woke up from my dream and everything becomes clear.

• Like 37
  • Thanks 5

It's that Time!

Hello my friends, It’s that time again. Time for a fun filled review that will be our next cruise. I am sorry you haven’t had a review from me since our last cruise on Adventure last October. If you did not read it and want a good treat here it is.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2969534-%F0%9F%90%BE%C2%A0%F0%9F%90%BE%C2%A0-sea-dog-gets-wet-a-soggy-adventure-live-10-21-23/

We were suppose to go on our first Celebrity cruise on Beyond last March but several things got in the way and we had to cancel. Linda and I have had our share of things going on since our last cruise on Adventure such as:

My second knee replacement

Linda’s shoulder surgery

Sick relatives

My hernia surgery

My skin cancer removal

Basement flooding

Regrading around the foundation

Being an extra in a Hallmark Christmas movie

Just to name a few so we are ready to be back on a ship doing the things we love.

So if you don’t know us I’m Sea Dog (aka Greg) and my wife Linda. 

LindaGregQuaff.jpg.3ddc938ab58d940c8c6a27e294c7d8ae.jpg

We got married in 1997

We always try and cruise every October around our Anniversary October 18.

Hard to believe we met and got married  27 years ago.

Our love of cruising started on our honeymoon on Costa with a cruise to Italy and the Greek Islands.

GregLindaAlberobelloItaly1.thumb.jpg.862a6cd566eba371de13af893a538a4b.jpg

Linda had cruised before but this was my first time. We had a son right away so cruising stopped until our 20 wedding anniversary in 2017 when we went on our first Royal cruise (Adventure) and was hooked ever since. Upon our retirements our goal is to cruise at least 2-3 times year. We are now Diamond members (Thanks Royal double points promotion during the pandemic) and love the perks that go along with it.

So without further ado let’s get this party started. How about some hype?

• Like 37
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Being an extra in a Hallmark Christmas movie

Enjoyed your previous review and am looking forward to this one and hope you have a great trip!
But, as a fellow Kansas Citian, this caught my eye! Lol

• Like 2

Well this is new!

IMG_0119.jpeg.af3c4e1b0604e936d3ec70c2c08eac36.jpeg

This will be our first time going on a cruise out of the west coast. Los Angeles to be exact and cruise the Mexican Riviera. We are also excited to join fellow Cruise Critic member and Bella Cruise alum @Taznremmy. So you might be asking “what’s our itinerary”? Take a look.

As you could see we are staying two days pre cruise in San Pedro. This is because I am a huge Tiki freak and want to visit some great tiki bars there. Unfortunately with staying in San Pedro Some of the more iconic bars such as the Tiki Ti, Tonga Hut are located way north of us and would cost a fortune to cab it or Uber and I don’t want to rent a car when I have been drinking some potent tiki libations. The plan is to do one “suck it up” for the price and Uber to Laguna Beach where the Royal Hawaiian is to experience their great bar. Secret Island and the Bamboo Club are fairly close to San Pedro so we might try and get there also.

• Like 20

Welcome to west coast cruising Sea Dog!  We're joining you next week as well.  We're already in LA visiting in-laws, now we just need Friday to hurry up and get here.

• Like 2

Look what else is new

IMG_0065.thumb.jpeg.be4aee91e41a3aaca4a9092c08025b55.jpeg

I got a new iPhone. Ok first off no Apple or phone bashing. I like and use what I like to use as you do. I normally upgrade every other year so Apple comes out with their phones in September which makes it perfect for our normal October cruise. I hope to utilize the new Ultra Wide lens which now shoots 48mp as opposed to 12mp. I also plan on shooting in Apple Pro Rez which makes for some huge file sizes but I will probably will convert to a smaller file size to upload to this review due to internet speed constrictions. The main thing is the improved battery life. On my last cruise I had to use an external battery just to keep my phone from dying. I can use this phone all day long and never get below 50%.

Also courtesy note:  since I will be posting a lot pictures and some videos please do not quote using the pictures as it adds duplicates and just makes this thread harder to read. If you have a question or comment just highlight the area of text and a quote box should appear. If you do quote the post with all the pictures you can also highlight the picture by clicking on it and press delete. This avoids countless duplicate pictures in the thread. 

Thank you for reading this public service announcement and now back to our regularly scheduled program. 

• Like 25

From one dog to the next, have a great time! I will be following and living vicariously through you. Have not read many West Coast Reports so looking forward for that reason as well! 

Safe Travels!

• Like 1

Royal Up

RoyalUpcopy.thumb.jpg.cdbd2e28974b89c8f6448af6bc0700c5.jpg

We normally don’t participate in Royal Up as if you do get upgraded to say a suite you do not get the extra points associated with it. On this sailing Linda noticed that the aft cabin we were getting was the same size as the aft cabin she had on Liberty where we sailed in separate cabins to get our double points promotion quicker to Diamond level. She remarked that the cabin was fine for one person but small for two. So we decided what the heck and put in for a spacious balcony cabin at the lowest bid possible at $200 each and guess what we got it. So while I will miss that aft cabin view this cabin will have more closet and storage space than the aft. Here is where our new cabin is #1230 on deck 11. It will be interesting being so forward and being able to see the wing stations.

StateroomLocation.thumb.jpg.b0f2341073a32d8ec0a3a929548af7e3.jpg

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Prologue

Cruise-aholicscopy.thumb.jpg.01cbbc185c169100c333d6f17e3712cd.jpg\

It’s a darkened room with a circle of chairs. I see silhouetted figures sitting facing each other. A man stands up and faces the group. He says “Hello everyone my name is Sea Dog”… (audience greets in unison “Hi Sea Dog” )… "and I... . am a Cruiseaholic who is addicted to cruising.”

I think to myself ‘hmmmmm. A Cruiseaholic on Royal Caribbean is like an alcoholic who swapped the bar for a buffet: both seek escape, but one does it with all-you-can-eat tacos while the other clings to a cocktail like it’s a life raft. The Cruiseaholic obsessively plans their cruise around deck parties, excursions and sunset views, while the alcoholic plans around happy hour and last call. One’s got a sun hat and a lounge chair, the other’s got a barstool and a frozen drink that has a Kraken floater." In the end, interestedly they both end up in the same place……. a good time.’

……..Suddenly I woke up from my dream and everything becomes clear.

Brilliant introduction Greg @Sea Dog.

I will be following along.

• Like 2

Packing "Suitcase Overboard: Navigating the Turbulent Waters of Cruise Packing"

CatinaSuitcase.thumb.jpeg.cc846251774e23fff1af36bdcdaf7837.jpeg

Packing for a cruise is like trying to solve a Rubik's Cube blindfolded. You want to be prepared for every scenario—sunny days, formal nights, pirate invasions—but also not look like you’re moving into your cabin permanently. I start with my must have checklists. 

IMG_6284.thumb.jpeg.dac820cfe5e5179ec1174266426d05ee.jpeg

Sea Dog teeshirts…check, 

Sea Dog swim shirts….check, 

IMG_9285.thumb.jpeg.58310051c36cf563f573e2ebee35338e.jpeg

Shorts,….check

Pants gee how many? Four….. check

IMG_9278.thumb.jpg.17b54ac834c1159c8d1ce6f0f0138017.jpg

That and swimsuits and all the other stuff I think I will need. I stand there, staring at my suitcase, debating if I really need five swimsuits, 5 pairs of shoes, and that snorkel mask I’ve never used. Meanwhile, I panic over the sudden realization that I have absolutely no idea what “cruise casual” even means! Every item feels like it’s the key to a perfect vacation—or the start of an over-packed suitcase that leaves me dragging 50 pounds of “just in case” all over the place.

Overpacking.thumb.webp.cccc654fed8d49d9048b4ca9df8bbbb1.webp

Trying to shut an overpacked suitcase is like wrestling an alligator—sweaty, frustrating, and I’m not sure if I will survive. I sit on it, kneel on it, maybe even say a few "encouraging" words, but that zipper? It’s mocking me. It taunts me with that little gap that refuses to close, like it’s daring your favorite shirt to make a break for it at any moment. I’m convinced the suitcase has somehow gained weight while sitting on the bed. In the end, I finally get it closed, only to realize I forgot to pack my swim shoes,. Maybe I will bring 6 pairs.—cue round two of the luggage rodeo!

• Like 6
  • Haha 18

5 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Packing "Suitcase Overboard: Navigating the Turbulent Waters of Cruise Packing"

CatinaSuitcase.thumb.jpeg.cc846251774e23fff1af36bdcdaf7837.jpeg

Packing for a cruise is like trying to solve a Rubik's Cube blindfolded. You want to be prepared for every scenario—sunny days, formal nights, pirate invasions—but also not look like you’re moving into your cabin permanently. I start with my must have checklists. 

IMG_6284.thumb.jpeg.dac820cfe5e5179ec1174266426d05ee.jpeg

Sea Dog teeshirts…check, 

Sea Dog swim shirts….check, 

IMG_9285.thumb.jpeg.58310051c36cf563f573e2ebee35338e.jpeg

Shorts,….check

Pants gee how many? Four….. check

IMG_9278.thumb.jpg.17b54ac834c1159c8d1ce6f0f0138017.jpg

That and swimsuits and all the other stuff I think I will need. I stand there, staring at my suitcase, debating if I really need five swimsuits, 5 pairs of shoes, and that snorkel mask I’ve never used. Meanwhile, I panic over the sudden realization that I have absolutely no idea what “cruise casual” even means! Every item feels like it’s the key to a perfect vacation—or the start of an over-packed suitcase that leaves me dragging 50 pounds of “just in case” all over the place.

Overpacking.thumb.webp.cccc654fed8d49d9048b4ca9df8bbbb1.webp

Trying to shut an overpacked suitcase is like wrestling an alligator—sweaty, frustrating, and I’m not sure if I will survive. I sit on it, kneel on it, maybe even say a few "encouraging" words, but that zipper? It’s mocking me. It taunts me with that little gap that refuses to close, like it’s daring your favorite shirt to make a break for it at any moment. I’m convinced the suitcase has somehow gained weight while sitting on the bed. In the end, I finally get it closed, only to realize I forgot to pack my swim shoes,. Maybe I will bring 6 pairs.—cue round two of the luggage rodeo!

I really hope the cat wasn’t in there!

• Haha 7

33 minutes ago, mil76 said:

Welcome to west coast cruising Sea Dog!  We're joining you next week as well.  We're already in LA visiting in-laws, now we just need Friday to hurry up and get here.

If you see me make sure to come up and introduce yourself to me. Love meeting fellow CC members.