Edge Retreat Sundeck

BV0

We are new to Celebrity and are going to be in a Sky Aqua suite for a round trip cruise from Sydney. The cruise has a lot of sea days and we would like to lounge in the shade. The retreat sun deck looks nice but does not appear to have much shade compared to the newer Edge class ships. Is it feasible to get a shaded spot the a deck or two below and hop to the Retreat for a drink or something? We can forgo the retreat during the day if necessary as shade is the top priority.  I'm also considering the solarium as it looks to offer a lot of shade and may not be too crowded. We are open to any pointers. I'm guessing we will lounge from 8 am until 1 pm and then hangout inside somewhere after a quick nap.

As George C mentioned there are some large umbrellas and some areas that are fully or partially shaded depending on time of day and direction the ship is heading. 

There is a large covered area on Deck 15 by the jogging/walking track with loungers. The track goes up to Deck 16 within feet of entrances to the Retreat Sun Deck

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are excited to try the retreat. Our TA said to expect it to be super crowded since there are over 300 suite people. She said Celebrity may sail with open cabins but the retreat is always full with people they select people to move up to keep those cabins full.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BV0 said:

We are excited to try the retreat. Our TA said to expect it to be super crowded since there are over 300 suite people. She said Celebrity may sail with open cabins but the retreat is always full with people they select people to move up to keep those cabins full.

We were on edge second week after covid ship was half full , suites were full . We always were able find a spot in outdoor retreat which we loved.

• Like 1

Retreat is definitely crowded all the time with limited shade. Many people want sun so attendants don’t put umbrellas up unless everyone in the area agrees. There are some completely covered areas but often those are crowded too. Still with checking out in case you get lucky. 

18 minutes ago, techfashion said:

Retreat is definitely crowded all the time with limited shade. Many people want sun so attendants don’t put umbrellas up unless everyone in the area agrees. There are some completely covered areas but often those are crowded too. Still with checking out in case you get lucky. 

I'm hoping to find some shaded area within a deck of the retreat area. Maybe there will be some secluded areas everyone won't go to. We plan on getting a spot after breakfast, about 10:00 and  will stay for a few hours.

There is another shaded area outside the Retreat lounge with tables and chairs.  There are no loungers, but you can normally get a seat there.  Depending on when your Sydney cruise is, the weather may or may not be conducive to lounging out.  The solarium is usually packed early with chair hogs. Your verandah is a much better option 😀.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 81Zoomie said:

There is another shaded area outside the Retreat lounge with tables and chairs.  There are no loungers, but you can normally get a seat there.  Depending on when your Sydney cruise is, the weather may or may not be conducive to lounging out.  The solarium is usually packed early with chair hogs. Your verandah is a much better option 😀.

I wasn't sure of the solarium got a lot of use or not. My plan is to walk the ship the first day and jot down preferred locations and go to each of the in order of preference after breakfast and see if anything is open. I'll adjust the second day and skip breakfast if everything is taken.

8 minutes ago, BV0 said:

I wasn't sure of the solarium got a lot of use or not. My plan is to walk the ship the first day and jot down preferred locations and go to each of the in order of preference after breakfast and see if anything is open. I'll adjust the second day and skip breakfast if everything is taken.

We have been on the Edge five times and our experience has been the Sun Deck is crowded between noon and 3.  I usually go around 9:30 and find spots under an umbrella or with partial shade.  

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Espn said:

There were a number of shaded areas on Beyond, just show up early enough. They will not raise the umbrellas if the bridge says it is too windy.

I've heard all of the Edge class ships after the original one have much more shade than the original.

Edge have a number of shaded area that are rarely used.   They have chairs, tables and some sofa's but limited loungers.  

CelDec-33072-1626640763.webp.6b744ffff51b3c197dd12c8fe7d1e3cb.webp

CelDec-87287-1626640560.webp.192d13786e20b5661e3e55457a040722.webp

They also have some double shaded louners but go quickly.

CelDec-80434-1651788656.webp.0de0c250ee2129e2575710d0caa680a5.webp

CelDec-46067-1543775789.webp.b09fb954530c490aba408237ed586e8e.webp

I'm sure you an find shade   CelDec-46067-1543775789.webp.b09fb954530c490aba408237ed586e8e.webp

CelDec-43013-1651788569.webp.83eccbbcf156e398c0e380094c5e1c1d.webp

They do have some large Unbrellas but on our Sydney to HNL - HNL to YVR they were almost always closed due to the winds.

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Edge have a number of shaded area that are rarely used.   They have chairs, tables and some sofa's but limited loungers.  

CelDec-33072-1626640763.webp.6b744ffff51b3c197dd12c8fe7d1e3cb.webp

CelDec-87287-1626640560.webp.192d13786e20b5661e3e55457a040722.webp

They also have some double shaded louners but go quickly.

CelDec-80434-1651788656.webp.0de0c250ee2129e2575710d0caa680a5.webp

CelDec-46067-1543775789.webp.b09fb954530c490aba408237ed586e8e.webp

I'm sure you an find shade   CelDec-46067-1543775789.webp.b09fb954530c490aba408237ed586e8e.webp

CelDec-43013-1651788569.webp.83eccbbcf156e398c0e380094c5e1c1d.webp

They do have some large Unbrellas but on our Sydney to HNL - HNL to YVR they were almost always closed due to the winds.

Great photos. Thank you.

We also have a problem with direct sun.  My DH has had multiple skin cancer lesions.   When we were on the edge- they did have some shaded areas- around the corner from the bar and in the other hallway entrance- variious times of the day, we did also have some shade at different parts of the deck- but we had to keep moving.  We are early risers and claimed our spots first thing in the morning or we just would have moved to another part of the ship with more shade.  Yes the newer e-clas ships have more shaded areas.

I do not understand that with skin cancer on the rise, how the ships do not accommodate those passengers wanting shade- Celebrity is good about limiting smoking areas-but should also be as diligent with protecting those passengers who do not want direct sun.

Edited by Cruise a holic
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

.....I do not understand that with skin cancer on the rise, how the ships do not accommodate those passengers wanting shade- Celebrity is good about limiting smoking areas-but should also be as diligent with protecting those passengers who do not want direct sun.

It has been reported that the newer E-class ships have increased 'shade area' so it seems to me that Celebrity are being increasingly diligent in accommodating such passengers!

In general, the Solarium on any X ship  starts out peaceful early on..although many leave items to reserve loungers.  It gets crowded as time passes..and the noisy din increases.  Still a nice space!

There are also shady spots under the overhang at the outdoor pool

Edited by hcat

35 minutes ago, hamrag said:

It has been reported that the newer E-class ships have increased 'shade area' so it seems to me that Celebrity are being increasingly diligent in accommodating such passengers!

Great news as we will be on the beyond next year.  The apex this past year also lacked adequate shaded areas.