Summary of Winning Bids on Priceline, Hotwire, etc.

sunlover5

Good one! I'm surprised when people will pay hundreds more for the Sheraton OSJ when it is so easy to identify on Hotwire. Are you on a Carnival sailing? If so they will depart from the old town pier. Celebrity and RCI depart from the Pan Am pier and that definitely requires a taxi.

We had stopped in San Juan on Miracle in 2007 and loved the old town so much that I decided I had to sail from there so booked Victory in 2009 when San Juan was her home port.

I'll be on the Conquest for the one-time sailing from San Juan to Miami that's part of her repositioning from New Orleans. I've seen the hotel and know how close it is to the port. I won't have any problem dragging my bags over there. Last time, we left our bags at Barrachina while we went sight-seeing and then walked all the way to the port from there, which is significantly farther. Except I won't have my DD to load up as my pack mule this time! :p

Now to see if I can find a good post-cruise hotel in Miami for one night via Hotwire!

Dear khm1

It has been a while since I used Priceline but since they changed things, I rather not try my luck.

I followed you advice and went on Hotwire to see. I need 1 night pre-cruise on Dec 21st, 2013, checking out Dec 22nd.

We are 2 adults and one teenager.

I did what you suggest in your post regarding how to see the complete list of amenities and I think it is the Concha Renaissance.

Here is the aminities:

Accessible for deaf (TTY for phone...)

Accessible bathroom (raised toilet....)

handicaped parking (handicaped parking available)

Is it the Concha Renaissance?

The rate per night is $125.85

Tax and recoverycharge and fees: $23.31

Total: $149.16

Is there a resort fee on top of the total?

is it around 14-16%?

How do I get a room for 3 or Hotwire only has room for 2?

I am sorry if I ask all these questions but I have never used Hotwire before and since we need a date during high season, if we can save a few $ it will be great.

Thanks for your help

Stefanny

I looked up your dates and entered Condado as a search criteria. I do not see the listing that you mention. If you want La Concha, Marriott Stellaris, Caribe Hilton, or Conrad, they will all be listed as 4 stars. There was only one 4 star listed that I could see when I did the search just now and it was listing $154/night. The prices shown can vary hour by hour. Here are the amenities (I removed the descriptions) that I saw:

This Hotel features the following amenities:

Resort

Note: A resort fee may be charged.

Near Beach

Smoke Free Rooms

Fitness Center

Pool(s)

Restaurant(s)

Business Center

High-Speed Internet Access

Accessible for the deaf

Accessible bathroom

Handicapped parking

My best guess, and it is ONLY A GUESS, using Better Bidding website is that the above is La Concha.

Good Luck!:)

Edited by khm1

Thanks khm1;

Now just one more question: does the Hotwire total price includes the resort fee and taxes or should I calculate the resort fee and taxes on top of the Hotwire total price (which also has taxes)?

Many thanks

No problem. I am pretty sure that the taxes are already included. I believe that the resort fee will be due upon check-in (or check-out) as a percentage of your purchase price.

Last night I got this deal on Priceline for San Juan:

10/06/13

1 night

2 rooms

4 star

Started bid at $80. That got rejected so I went to $90. That got rejected. So I went to $100 and that was accepted for San Juan Water and Beach Club Hotel.

I love San Juan Water and Beach Hotel! It is wonderful!!!!!

I've never done anything on Price Line. How does it work and is it reliable?

I'm leaving on the Jewel near the end of August.

Thanks,

Cheryl

Thanks,

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl,:) Priceline is a website that has different zones for cities

and you put a bid in for hotels in zones......is it reliable? Many people

save a lot of money using it, yes.

Many folks don't use it too. You don't find out what hotel you get

until after your bid is accepted. So, if a person is in the genre of

"must know which hotel" then Priceline would not be good for that

person.

So, example.....if you know the only hotel you want to stay in is

the you mentioned above? I would not do Priceline......there is never

a guarantee you will get that specific one. But, on the other hand,

if you are happy with the other choices in the same zone....?

Priceline can be a great savings.

Thanks Lois! I appreciate that information.

I've heard people on here talking about Hotwire and better bidding as well. Are they all sites that will give you better rates than going to the hotel's website?

Thanks, Cheryl

Thanks Lois! I appreciate that information.

I've heard people on here talking about Hotwire and better bidding as well. Are they all sites that will give you better rates than going to the hotel's website?

Thanks, Cheryl

Hotwire is a website to buy your hotel too....there is no bidding.

You can see some of the ammenities for the hotels but you also don't

know the exact one until after you make the purchase. Priceline,

you bid.....Hotwire, the price is listed already. And yes, both sites you

will save money.

Better Bidding is a website to help you with the bidding process and

to see what other hotels people have gotten and how much they have

paid.

Edited by Lois R

Would anyone know what hotel this could be on hotwire with the following amenities? We are looking to book for January 30 - February 1 before our cruise on the Summit. Thanks.

4-star Hotel in Condado

This Hotel features the following amenities:

Free Parking

Property offers complimentary parking for passenger vehicles.

Free Breakfast

Rates include continental or full breakfast.

Free Internet

Property offers free internet access in all rooms

It looks like most people try to get the 4* resorts on hotwire, but does anyone know what the 3* hotel offered for $93 in Condado might be?

90% approval and amenities are

free internet

smoke free rooms

pool

in room accessibility

date is 4/5/14 one night

Also, since we just need one night pre-cruise it doesn't really matter what area we stay in. Would priceline be too big of a risk since they have lumped all the areas together? They offer 3.5* that looks like wins often at $75. We would rather not pay the resort fees at the 4* hotels. Any advise?

Help !!!

Never been out of San Juan, only stopped over. I need a decent hotel for the night before.

Any close to the pier?

Any to stay away from ??

Better to stay near the airport and taxi over ?

Can you board the ship early before launch, and then leave again since it doesn't depart until 10pm??

Why is airfare so darn expensive to SJU from the midwest ???

Any info or tips from anyone or let me know where to find some will be much appreciated.

Mr Goalie - You may want to start a new thread since you have so many different questions (not specifically about Priceline or Hotwire).

Your questions are asked often here, so if you do some browsing and reading, you should get some good ideas from others who have already asked (and received comments).

You need to be sure to state which ship you're on, since Carnival sails from the pier in OSJ while other lines sail from Pan Am, which is closer to the airport. You'll need to taxi everywhere, even if you stay close to the airport. There are NO hotels with airport shuttles.

You may also want to ask about airfare over on the Cruise Air board where the flying experts can provide lots of useful info. I got what I felt was an amazing price on SouthWest (1-way RDU-SJU, 1-way FLL-RDU). Total was >$100 less than I paid round-trip SJU in 2009. And no baggage fees! :D

Good luck and enjoy your planning!

Thanks,

Cheryl

You really need to educate yourself or you could get burned. Basically it works like this: You name your own price and find out what hotel you get that match your criteria. You choose the hotel rating, and general location. You don't know the hotel name, amenities, or exact location. You may not even get a room that accommodates more than 2 people. Reservations are non-refundable.

Yup, you can save money (a lot) but it really pays to do your research.

You might find this site helpful: www.hoteldealsrevealed.com

A less risky choice is Hotwire. Reservations are still non-refundable, but at least you know if your hotel has a swimming pool (which is a big deal for me).

Ok I hope someone can answer my ?? When I look at the all the hotels on Priceline they all say for up to 2 people ???? We need 3 rooms one with 4ppl one with 3 ppl and one with 2 .

Try Hotwire you can put in number of people to a room with them.

Ok I hope someone can answer my ?? When I look at the all the hotels on Priceline they all say for up to 2 people ???? We need 3 rooms one with 4ppl one with 3 ppl and one with 2 .

Price line Name your own price only guarantees 1 room with 2 people. I think if you book a hot deal you can pick rooms and people. I know hotwire specifically allows it.

NCSTEELER, does that include the resort fee?

Sorry, No.

This is the breakdown

Room Subtotal: $170.00 (USD)

Taxes and Fees: $29.61 (USD)

Total Charged to Card: $199.61 (USD)

I'm not sure if we will face a resort fee on top of the $29.61 or not. The San Juan resort fee is 16%.

The current going rate for this hotel on this date is $279 at Marriott website. So we are safisfied

I've seen much better deals in San Juan in the past and recently on BBidding, but for some reason I have not seen any rate drops for next spring. We might be too early, but wanted to secure the room

Edited by ncsteeler

Good afternoon, I have a question to all those Hotwire users...I searched for a hotel for Jan 23-26 for San Juan, and was hoping to stay in the Condado area. I originally searched for 2 adults (as there are only 2 of us) and was given a hotel option, which by using better bidding I believe is the Conrad Condado.

But then I search for 2 adults, 1 child and was given a totally different option, which I believe may be La Concha.

My question is....if I were to book option 2 (2a 1c), will I have a problem during check in when they find out there is only 2 of us?

I've stayed at the Conrad, and I really enjoyed my stay, but I really would prefer to stay at La Concha

Thanks

Erin

Good one! I'm surprised when people will pay hundreds more for the Sheraton OSJ when it is so easy to identify on Hotwire. Are you on a Carnival sailing? If so they will depart from the old town pier. Celebrity and RCI depart from the Pan Am pier and that definitely requires a taxi.

I REALLY want Sheraton OSJ. I have read many posts but am bit overwhelmed. Can you give me the tricks that seem to work to secure this hotel? I have seen 3.5* resort anything else I need to know?

I was looking at Hotwire for a post cruise hotel on 10/28 in the Condado area. There is a price of $86/night with a price of $179/night on "other sites". The only amenities listed are free parking, free breakfast, and free internet. It is listed as a 4 star hotel.

Any idea what this could be? Would it basically be any of the resorts are are next to each other? Or something different? Thanks for anybody that can help.

Edited by cincycruisincouple

I was looking at Hotwire for a post cruise hotel on 10/28 in the Condado area. There is a price of $86/night with a price of $179/night on "other sites". The only amenities listed are free parking, free breakfast, and free internet. It is listed as a 4 star hotel.

Any idea what this could be? Would it basically be any of the resorts are are next to each other? Or something different? Thanks for anybody that can help.

Be very cafeful...you may get Sheraton Convention Center. It is not even on a beach and no where near any of the other hotels....

Gone are the days when you could search for a resort and there were only 6 available options all of which were great...

Now those resorts are mixed in and Sheraton Convention Center is an option. Nice looking hotel, but not on the beach and walkable to NOTHING!!!!!