Who has booked Alaska for a 2008 cruise?

brunolvr

To NancyIL,

My husband is returning from a deployment in Iraq and only has leave at that time before going back to his regular job on July 1st. We weren't able to plan ahead until we knew his leave was still on schedule. The travel agent sweetened the deal with onboard credits to pay for the "service fees" they charge up front. We know what to expect this time and we'll be well prepared. This is my review on the NCL Star for Mexican Riviera when we returned in January 07:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=24544

I wasn't planning on doing an Alaskan cruise this year. I did one last year and have one booked for September 09 (am taking 2 friends, my daughter, son-in-law, and 2 grandchildren with me that trip). But I had to cancel a cruise on the new Carnival Splendor in August and a Western Caribbean trip in December and decided it was too long to wait until my next cruise in March 09, so I booked the Carnival Spirit for Sept. 10/08.

The best thing about Alaska trips, for me, is that leaving from Vancouver is so convenient (like Caribbean cruises for people living in Florida). I don't have to worry about flying in the day before, hotels, etc. Just wish Carnival did more round trips out of Vancouver instead of just one in May and a couple in September.

To NancyIL,

My husband is returning from a deployment in Iraq and only has leave at that time before going back to his regular job on July 1st. We weren't able to plan ahead until we knew his leave was still on schedule. The travel agent sweetened the deal with onboard credits to pay for the "service fees" they charge up front. We know what to expect this time and we'll be well prepared. This is my review on the NCL Star for Mexican Riviera when we returned in January 07:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=24544

I understand. What did you decide about Alaska on the Star vs. the Caribbean on Carnival? It sounds like you're sticking with the Star.

Hello NancyIL,

We decided to go with the Norwegian Star. We know what to expect this time, so we won't have surprises. We also are prepared not to be able to see Sawyer Glacier according to some of the reviews due to the weather. I'm concerned about the choppy seas as described by some. Honestly, the cabins are the best we ever had and we'll just have to make our reservations for the restaurants when we board the ship. I was able to rent a Tahoe or Suburban for 7 people for $60 per day out of Enterprise near Port Seattle. They service the Cruise Ships in case anyone is interested in staying in Seattle a few more days and then dropping off at the airport for a $50 fee. I think well worth it, since other agencies near the port were almost double the price for a minivan! It will be difficult to figure out the tours at each port on a budget if you can recommend anything. Thanks.

The 7 Hour Tour with Chilkoot Charters is $174.30 pp (sales tax included). It gets excellent reviews on this board. We're really looking foward to it.

Yes, I found it. Am booking today for the 9 hour trip. Went over it last night with my husband to make sure it appealed to him. It says lunch at the train station. What kind of lunch? Am booking the Fjord with Island Wings in Ketchikan, too. Probably the Mendenhall Glacier and whale watching in Juneau and am not sure about ISP (and beyond), but am looking and still working on it. Never knew this site existed. Am so glad I found it. So many people have been so helpful. Thanks a bunch! Have fun on your cruise.

Hello NancyIL,

We decided to go with the Norwegian Star. We know what to expect this time, so we won't have surprises. We also are prepared not to be able to see Sawyer Glacier according to some of the reviews due to the weather. I'm concerned about the choppy seas as described by some. Honestly, the cabins are the best we ever had and we'll just have to make our reservations for the restaurants when we board the ship. I was able to rent a Tahoe or Suburban for 7 people for $60 per day out of Enterprise near Port Seattle. They service the Cruise Ships in case anyone is interested in staying in Seattle a few more days and then dropping off at the airport for a $50 fee. I think well worth it, since other agencies near the port were almost double the price for a minivan! It will be difficult to figure out the tours at each port on a budget if you can recommend anything. Thanks.

When in June will you be on the Star? Even if you don't get as far as the Sawyer Glaciers, crusing down Tracy Arm Fjord is beautiful!

Have a wonderful cruise!

Third cruise to Alaska - May 30 - June 6th - Radiance of the Seas.

Im new to the site ..alot of great information

We also are going to be on that cruise. This is our first cruise to Alaska ..any tips would be great.

We have booked the Sapphire leaving May 31/08 for a 10 day cruise/land trip. This ship does indeed have self-serve laundry facilities.

Can't wait :D Any others going on this cruise?

Inches

If you have booked the above cruise to Alaska, please go have a look at the Roll Call thread and chime on in!;)

Right now only 10 families are showing up and there just have to be more CC'ers out there who will be on that cruise!

Bon Voyage! :D

Archived