Around the Seabourn Water Cooler... Off topic and fun posts here!- Updated

Host Dan

ohhhhhhhhh Jane thanks so much! I'll be in Barcelona in Nov and have been researching food there. So far have planned a foodie tour but these photos make me wish I was there now.

Rebecca

In addition to the suggestions above, can I also recommend 'El Passdis del Pep' in Barcelona.

http://www.passadis.com/RESTAURANT.html

Hmmm, looks very good. I note the web site says it's right by a cash machine. Does this indicate that you need plenty of cash to eat here?!

To be honest .... I don't know. My sister lives in Barcelona and is married to a local guy. They took us there. I thought the place was fantastic but they wouldn't let us pay. :D

The entrance is very discrete. You definitely need to know about the place to go there. The passing tourist would never find it.

Edited by Roxburgh

• 2 weeks later...
Here is a note from her daughter about our Marja. I know many of you have wondered. She was in Ireland at her home, then getting ready for a Seabourn cruise, which she has had to postpone.

>Dear friends,

As some of you might know, my mom Marja was taken to hospital on thursday the 20th suffering inhumane stomach pain and experienced urgent surgical operation three days later. surgery removed a very sick colon. A heavy operation especially because of my moms health at this moment. We are all happy operation went well and know she need time to recover. This again is a very heavy load after the diagnosis end of june for her (and for us.) We all hope to have her home soon."

Here is a recent post from Marja >"Dear English speaking friends. Facebook is getting too much for me. Too much pain and I can't go to my computer any more. And it is too heavy for me. Too many questions and answers... Cruising is not in the cards any more. Please just enjoy your selves!"

Apparently she is comfortable and has plenty of pain control. So many will mourn her passing.

We ate at Passadis del Pep with friends a few years ago -- the food just kept coming and coming. I remember thinking it was a good thing that I am allergic to shellfish so I was able to skip a few courses.I especially remember the wonderful padron peppers and the iberico ham( the best ever save that which we ate when we were in Santiago de Compostela in May).And yes, I was initially quite worried when our friends led us down a dark passageway to an unmarked door. After all, my husband's wallet had already been stolen the day before.

Here is a recent post from Marja >"Dear English speaking friends. Facebook is getting too much for me. Too much pain and I can't go to my computer any more. And it is too heavy for me. Too many questions and answers... Cruising is not in the cards any more. Please just enjoy your selves!"

Apparently she is comfortable and has plenty of pain control. So many will mourn her passing.

I am so sad to read this but thank you Jane for letting us know.

Marja's posts and photos were one of the reasons to give Seabourn a try after a less then stellar cruise with another line a few years ago. This proved to be one of the best decisions we ever made. So thank you Marja and I hope you are kept pain free and comfortable all the time. My thoughts are with you.

Julie

Edited by frantic36

If you ever have an overnight to do in Paris while in route to or from your Seabourn cruise, I have the perfect hotel. As much as I loooove Paris, it can be a bit hectic at times and difficult to get around (strikes, manifestations, road work, accidents or just plain old traffic).

Yesterday I had lunch at the newly opened (September 8th) Auberge du Jeu de Paume in Chantilly. This hotel was renovated by the Prince Aga Khan and is just across from the Chateau of Chantilly (where Eva Longoria married Tony Parker). It was beautifully done and is only 20 minutes from the Charles de Gaulle airport.

another post from Marja today. God Bless Her!

>"Every day more opium/morphine. I'm still bright. Pain in head slightly less now ... For how long I don't know. More and More opium in form of tablets, sprays seem to have a little positive effect …. A little less pain in brain. May it stay like this (Translated by Bing)"

Message from Marja's daughter.

"Hello dear friends of Marja Koenen-NAT. Mama asked me just an update on her page, since they themselves no longer is capable of. She is since Friday connected to the morphine-cq pain pump and this is getting something incremented. It is sad but she remains dapper, she is despite all sedation still very sharp, she is grateful now mostly without pain and they enjoy chocolates and delicious ice cream. What are they well cared for by her doting husband René Koenen, that's what I love! I will now conclude with her words: "I wish everyone the best and don't forget to count your blessings!". Greetings on behalf of Marja, Renate Koenen (Translated by Bing)"

It is so sad about Marja. After watching the video she was given during her last cruise, its hard to believe how quickly she has deteriorated.

I'm so glad she was able to enjoy her last cruise with her family. The video is an awesome tribute to her 550+ days on Seabourn and to her being one of Seabourn's biggest fans. I love watching the video (with tears). You are right seabournaddict, she deteriorated so quick, she had hoped to be able to do the Quest crossing November 24, but it was not in the cards.... :(