Bayonne NJ Resident will help with FAQ

hazeleyes

If you buy a ticket from Newark Airport to NY it's $15, but a ticket from Newark Airport to Newark Penn Station is $7.75 and from Newark Penn Station to NY is $4.00. It makes no sense at all. The legs of the trip are cheaper than the full trip. However, you have to buy your ticket ahead from the machine.

Thanks ladies. I'm not doing this until January, so I'll probably ask again(!), but it seems damned odd to me. Give me the London Underground every time!!:D

Simon

welcome to new jersey....high property taxes, high car insurance, stupid fares on the not-so-mass transit and too many people!

you're welcome as usual!

Boy you ladies have been busy. I've spent the last 2 days trying to get caught up on everything you have been saying. Thank you for all the information. Our cruise on Jan 24/10 has a group of motorcycles coming onboard, so we will be bringing our bikes down in a trailer. Do you know what the parking charges will be for us... if there's a premium or do we have to pay double??? I was wondering about doing the Country Inn & Suites and parking there, but we would still have to drive to the pier to unload, drive back to the Hotel, then get transportation back to the pier, sounds like a hassle, but might be worth it???

One more question please. I just talked with the organizers of the motorcycle cruise, they book at the Sheraton Newark (b/c of good parking prices). Are there any places to eat within walking distance of this hotel?

I've stayed at the Sheraton for a park/fly/cruise. It is a nice hotel with a pool in the lobby. The restaurant was OK but nothing special. Folks seem to like the restaurant in the Holiday Inn next door. Otherwise there is nothing there. These two hotels are in an oasis on the north side of the airport surrounded by interstate roads and access ramps. Be sure you have detailed directions and a map. If you miss the exit, you will be lost in the spaghetti roads around the airport. If you are getting off the NJ turnpike at exit 14, you must take I78 LOCAL and get off at the first exit Frontage Road.

For restaurants you can get on the turnpike to exit 13a where there is a diner and a Ruby Tuesday's.

I am actually staying at the Holiday Inn this week on Thursday night and will be reporting back.

One more question please. I just talked with the organizers of the motorcycle cruise, they book at the Sheraton Newark (b/c of good parking prices). Are there any places to eat within walking distance of this hotel?

nope! ok well the holiday inn, and that's supposed to be a decent restaurant...........you could drive someplace if you get good directions or participate in one of my favorite sports (albeit a PITA) which is hotel shuttle transit! :D (hop your shuttle to P4 -the airport shuttle stop, then hop on the country inn OR Elizabeth Courtyard/Residence Inn and go over by Jersey Gardens mall.....)

Yeah Meg - but unlike most cruisers, these folks have both cars and motorcycles with them. It's easier to drive from exit 14 to 13a than to discover the wonderful world of Newark Airport hotel shuttle transit.

Hi Ladies of the Evening --you know the ones I only talk to in the evenings:D because I usually am working during the day. 43 years in Education, retired and now I'm driving a delivery van during the day( 3 days a week). Oh well, have to get cruise money from somewhere !!:p and I have to give the wife a break from me too !!;)

Did you miss my question below ? Are you tired of my questions ?, don't have an opinion ? All three are acceptable to me. You have done more than your share.

Thanks Carol,:)

Liberty Sate Park is where you get the ferry to the Statue of Liberty..right ?!

So my question for this morning(of course I'll have a question for noon-evening and night time too !!)

So in your opinion, would it be "more better" (yes, I taught English !!) to go to the Statue from Liberty Park or from Battery Park. "More better" meaning faster, less complicated, etc.

Thanks,

Frank

Thought for the day: How many calories does chocolate cake have ??

Who Cares !!!:D

Frank

Hi Ladies of the Evening --you know the ones I only talk to in the evenings:D because I usually am working during the day. 43 years in Education, retired and now I'm driving a delivery van during the day( 3 days a week). Oh well, have to get cruise money from somewhere !!:p and I have to give the wife a break from me too !!;)

Did you miss my question below ? Are you tired of my questions ?, don't have an opinion ? All three are acceptable to me. You have done more than your share.

Thought for the day: How many calories does chocolate cake have ??

Who Cares !!!:D

Frank

I LOVE CAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

want some now.....don't have any...

i think you can get to the statue from LSP (heck i would hope so...i really need to go tour my state.....i haven't been since i was little......)

nope, not tired of your????s, i have MANY opinions......and i kinda thought we answered your question....but i have medicine head.

Yeah Meg - but unlike most cruisers, these folks have both cars and motorcycles with them. It's easier to drive from exit 14 to 13a than to discover the wonderful world of Newark Airport hotel shuttle transit.

yah, but i was thinking maybe they didn't wanna get lost.......and i am too cheap to pay to get on the TPKE for an exit......

i would NOT suggest taking the bikes on Routes 1 & 9...YIKES!

maybe cab it someplace else for dinner.....

[there was a method to my madness, i just can't remember what it was....]:o:p:confused:

I can't give you an unprejudiced answer. I like going to the statue from Battery Park, but I've never been from Liberty Park. She faces New York - the view is better. I also like downtown NY - I worked there for 10 years. I'd rather go there and enjoy the ambiance than go to the riverside in NJ.

ok I am sure my getting really stressed out right now after reading the main carnival board. where the guy from canada had problems with his flights and luggage. actually quite scarry. ok so anyways here is our problem. we was planning on flying in to newark the day OF the cruise. our flight would get there in the morning/early afternoon. We have never flown before. so now we are in a rut. I have been searching all these hotels an cant find a good deal. well there are a few good deals but bad reviews :eek: I am not sure how much a taxi is from a hotel to the port. I read that if we would book a hotel in NJ some taxis dont like going into NY & vise versa. :confused: so If someone anyone can help us out on our problem I would truely love ya to pieces. ;) here is a bit of information about our cruise. we are taking the carnival triumph leaving june 7th departs at 5pm. we are looking into staying somewhere just 1 nite there will only be the dh and I for this cruise. if ya need anymore info please let me know at malittlefoot971@hotmail.com or on here. Thanks again for the time.

worried and scared ma. :confused:

ok I am sure my getting really stressed out right now after reading the main carnival board. where the guy from canada had problems with his flights and luggage. actually quite scarry. ok so anyways here is our problem. we was planning on flying in to newark the day OF the cruise. our flight would get there in the morning/early afternoon. We have never flown before. so now we are in a rut. I have been searching all these hotels an cant find a good deal. well there are a few good deals but bad reviews :eek: I am not sure how much a taxi is from a hotel to the port. I read that if we would book a hotel in NJ some taxis dont like going into NY & vise versa. :confused: so If someone anyone can help us out on our problem I would truely love ya to pieces. ;) here is a bit of information about our cruise. we are taking the carnival triumph leaving june 7th departs at 5pm. we are looking into staying somewhere just 1 nite there will only be the dh and I for this cruise. if ya need anymore info please let me know at malittlefoot971@hotmail.com or on here. Thanks again for the time.

worried and scared ma. :confused:

You said above you are flying in the day OF the cruise on June 7th...you won't need a hotel room. Just take a cab directly to the ship.

Jimbo:)

Hi Malittlefoot971,

Williamsport-- Little League World Series !!!!:p

We are cruising out of NYC on NCL in October. My wife and I are staying at the Crowne Plaza near the Newark Airport for 2 nights. Cost of $150.00 for 2 nights including all taxes.( $62.00 per night + taxes of about $13.00 per night) If you go back on these posts, you should find all the info that you wonder about. there is a couple of ladies on these posts who are extremely knowledgeable and have answered all of our questions, except, I did ask as to how close the nearest Hooters "Restaurant" was and they won't answer...they know how old I am..so they say WHAT FOR ??????:eek:

Their names are Meg(megr1125) and Carol(138east). If you click on Megr1125 profile, she has a blog with lots and lots of phone numbers and lists of good resources. But really take a few minutes and read the posts in this thread and I think you will find everything you need...if you can't just ask..they will be there to help you.

I asked them, "what should an old man like me wear..briefs or boxers"?

They said, "DEPENDS !!":)

Knarf(Frank backwards)

frank you are nuts!

malittlefoot...

first, take a breath. second......take a breath.

third....give us a budget as carol (138east) said.....and we will help.

it isn't that cabs from New Jersey don't WANT to go into NY..they can't pick up return fares..thus they basically charge double the meter,plus round trip tolls...and that's a low estimate.

HOWEVER there are several car services......

as knarf said, click the link below to my blog...most of the hotels listed i have either stayed in or visited...or have been used by people who i know personally or from the boards here whose opinions i would trust!

so....let us know what you wish for and we will help!:p

where in the heck is saegertown PA or what ever that is??!!:confused:;)

Hi Meg !!!

Saegertown, PA is the artic circle of PA. :eek:

We had 4 inches of snow today and 3 more due tonight !! And people ask if we cruise to Alaska...I LIVE IN "ALASKA" 5 MONTHS OF THE YEAR. why would I want to cruise there ?????

Saegertown, PA --population 1500. We are in the northwest part of PA. 30 miles directly south of Erie , PA . way up in the corner of the state. We are 100 miles directly north of Pittsburgh.

And now you know the rest ofthe story....

Question for you Meg...what is a zebra ?

scroll down

26 sizes larger than an "A" bra :p

Frank

We are thinking of changing flight times to the day before.

In March of 2008, I traveled alone to Newark, to embark on the Explorer of the Seas for a 9-night cruise. I was meeting my friend, who I was cruising with, at the pier. I flew in the day before, I stayed at the Holiday Inn Newark Airport by myself. I wasn't looking for any shopping centers, or malls. Just looking for a hotel that had a free Airport Shuttle from the airport, a restauarant at the hotel, as I would need dinner and breakfast. I found out that the hotel also had a shuttle for a fee to the pier, but I was going to opt for a taxi, so as not to hassle what looked to be a crowd to the pier. As I was traveling alone, I had no problem staying alone at the hotel. I didn't feel any inking of security problems whatsoever. I slept well, the restaurant was actually better than other hotels I've eaten at. My friend actually had a car service (she lives in NYC) so they stopped and picked me up.

My husband and I are flying into Newark in September, a day before embarkation. We are staying at the Holiday Inn. We'll take the hotel shuttle from the airport. The next morning, we'll take a taxi to the pier. We're figuring $40 or $50 for a taxi, or we may even try out a car service that has been recommended here on this thread.

Good Luck whatever your choice.

first I would like to thank you all for the help as I did read thru the posts earlier today after I posted my help message. We did get a hotel thankfully. we are staying in the holiday inn newark airport. we do have a shuttle service from the airport to the hotel. then in the morning catching another shuttle back to the airport an hopping on the shuttle for carnival. so we got the air an ground and a roof over our head for the nite covered.

as you can tell we did deside on going in a day early an thankfully the airlines aren't gonna charge us extra for the time change. Thank You again everyone for your time and helping me. I appreciate it ALOT. :) happy cruising all

not so worried and scared now Ma. ;)

Archived