Flying with Prescription Pills

BluesCruise

Not sure where to ask this, but...I take about 12 different pills every day. I keep them in those 7-day plastic pill holders, one for morning and one for evening. Do I need to bring the actual Rx pill bottles, or could I just carry a paper copy of the pharmacy labels for each med? It would be rather bulky to carry all the bottles.

My wife is in the same boat.

She takes her 7 day with her in carry on . Carries copies of the original prescription and packs the original container in checked luggage.

If going on a 7 day travel, you really need at least a 14 day supply in case of emergency and your travel is delayed for any reason.

I believe TSA and customs rules require that meds need to be in their original container with original labels

My mom had all her pills in their original containers when going through security at the airport. The TSA screener took the baggie out of her carry on and checked the bottles. He told her that she was lucky to have her pills in the original bottles because she could have been pulled aside and every pill examined if she had put them in the days of the week container. And, my mom took about 20 pills a day. My dad, being stubborn, kept them in the days of the week container and had a real problem at the airport.

You really need to keep them in their original bottles and make absolutely sure that the name on the bottle exactly matches the name on the passport. My mom's real name was Maryanna, and that's what it said on her passport, but her prescriptions said Maryanne, so we had to go and have the bottles changed to her real name. Those TSA people can get real grouchy.

We've flown both with the RX bottles and the "daily pill holders"--no one has ever paid any attention to either.

If you're traveling with narcotics, it's best to have the Rx bottle for those....if you can bring everything in the bottle, that's the best way to go. You don't need copies of the Rx, tho.

I'm a pharmacist.

Please keep your medication in their original bottles when you travel. You can always transfer them to the days-of-the-week container once you arrive at your destination. As well, it is good advice to carry a copy of your prescriptions to expedite replacing the medication if they get lost. It is also a good idea to carry a few days extra supply, just in case your travel plams are delayed.

I dump all my pills into one prescription container and have never carried copies of prescriptions, the other original bottles, or notes from a doctor.

No one has ever looked at them or said a word and I fly quite a bit.

Good advice to carry a few days extra supply and I always do this as well.

I have never seen anyone else going through security have a problem either.

Of course, now that I posted this, I will be stopped on my next flight!

I always take my original bottles. I pretty much clean out my medicine cabinet when I'm packing. All of the bottles go into a couple gal-sized ziploc bags & I just toss them into my caryon.

Those who say it's okay to carry the pills in baggies or seven day dispensers or whatever method other than in original pharmacy pill bottles approriately labeled are wrong. They have been lucky thus far but their next trip may be the time they run across an inspector who confiscates and disposes of their medications.

You take a risk of losing your medications if you remove them from the proper bottles.

For folks who have many pill bottles, it's a nuisance to take them along but it is the only way to assure you don't lose them.

Good advice above about bringing at least several days extra supply more than you expect to need in case you are delayed during travel.

DH takes 17 medications -- we keep them in their original bottles.

We have our drug store prepare smaller bottles for traveling with the current date, etc.

We also take along the insert that comes with each prescription describing the medication.

All medications are kept in a small medical bag and kept in our carry-on.

Twice DH has had security check the medical bag and look at the various bottles and glance at the inserts.

I'm a pharmacist.

Please keep your medication in their original bottles when you travel. You can always transfer them to the days-of-the-week container once you arrive at your destination....

Thank you, Donna. I consider you a qualified individual and your advice is appreciated. :)

I do this also; I keep my pills in the original containers, but I do remove the "excess" and leave them at home. If I am going on a 9 night cruise, I will take a few extra for emergencies and put those in the origianal bottle. I leave the rest, marked, at home. This way if anything should happen, I haven't lost my entire supply of pills and I don't have to run around the minute I get back home.

TSA regulations state that controlled substances should be in original containers. You probably won't get caught, but is it worth the risk of running into a martinet? Also - most prescription containers are pretty small -honestly, how much space/weight could you save by combining as many as a dozen into one large container? Finally - there is the slight risk of cross-contaminaion: certain meds should not be taken at the same time as certain others.

TSA regulations state that controlled substances should be in original containers. You probably won't get caught, but is it worth the risk of running into a martinet? Also - most prescription containers are pretty small -honestly, how much space/weight could you save by combining as many as a dozen into one large container? Finally - there is the slight risk of cross-contaminaion: certain meds should not be taken at the same time as certain others.

None of my medications are controlled substances. Many people now have prescription plans that allow them to refill three month's worth of meds at a time by mail. Those containers can get pretty big!

Everyone needs to make their own choice. I will continue to combine mine in a smaller container and not lose sleep over it.

While TSA has been mentioned, you also may get the privilege of an inspection by a customs official. If they decide to go through your luggage and find medication in unmarked bottles, it may be more than just their taking it and throwing it away. You could be held until they determine the medicine is not illegal drugs. Highly unlikely but a real possibility. TSA can do the same.

They pick pax at random for more thorough checks as well as anyone suspicious. It could be you.

Ask your pharmacist to give you smaller empty bottles with your presciption info on them. Transfer what you need into the smaller bottles. They won't take up as much room and you will abide by the 'letter of the law.'

I just popped in to lurk but am glad to find this question answered. I had heard -- who knows where -- that the rules had been relaxed. DH takes a bunch of meds a day so now I know to continue to leave them in their original bottles.

Thanks.

Used to cross the Canadian/US border in excess of 50 times a year and never have had a problem with meds being in daily dose containers. Yes they should be in the original labeled containers but it would take a pretty mean spirited customs officer to take them from a person and really not very likely.

My husband has seizures so we carry prescription meds in our carry on (in packets that are sealed). He has a small container on his key chain for pills in case he has a seizure (easy access). I have one in my purse. We fly 4 or 5 times a year. We have not had a problem but I was not aware that we should take copies of the prescription or the original bottles (which are huge). I guess we need to make copies because 3 are controlled.

Could you point to the place where you found the regulation on "controlled substances should be in original containers" I have looked and not found such a regulation.

"Tips for flying with prescription medicine

by Molly Feltner, SmarterTravel.com Staff - January 24, 2008

Editors' Note: This story is from the SmarterTravel.com archives. Check our Features page for the most recent stories.

For air travel within the U.S., the TSA allows you to carry on all medications including liquids, gels, and aerosols, with no limit on the amount you can carry. If you have more than three ounces of "medically necessary" drugs and they are not in a quart sized plastic bag, you are required to declare and allow a security screener to examine it. Medicines must be labeled and those in daily dosage containers will be screened.

Travel overseas is a bit trickier, as each country has its own set of rules. To avoid trouble at customs, the State Department recommends that you keep drugs in their original labeled containers and bring copies of your prescriptions as well as a letter from your doctor if you are carrying any unusual or narcotic drugs. They also suggest contacting the U.S. embassy or consulate of the country you're visiting to find out if it's legal to bring your particular medication into the country.

As a general rule, it's wise to pack medications in your carry-on bag so they won't be lost. It's also helpful to bring a few extra days' worth of drugs in case you get delayed, your doctor's phone number and a copy of your prescriptions so you can get refills on the road if necessary.

Have a great travel tip you'd like to share? Send your insider travel strategies to editor@smartertravel.com."

Donray you are correct. DH & I have traveled to many countries and have never had our pills questioned (we carry them in one container for each of us). However, we did have my dog's food taken away once. :eek: Fortunately, it was the last flight for that leg of the trip, so I just bought her some more.

This really isn't new, on my first trip to England in 1987, my travel agent recommended keeping even aspirin in it's original package. When you fly to foreign countries, they don't necessarily know what is in your pill container.

I don't take prescription meds, but I do have sinus problems, so have Advil Cold & Sinus with me at all times. When travelling, I keep them in the original box.

I also have dry eyes, and have a bottle of "Tears Naturale". Now this little bottle is only 1 FL OZ, but I can't tell you the scrutiny that little bottle goes through. It's the original bottle, clearly labeled, and only 1 oz. I put it in the qt baggie separate from my purse going through the scanner. And still every time it gets picked up and scrutinized. Fortunately they have never confiscated it.

And I have seen those 7 day planner containers emptied into the trash at the airport. Do you really want to risk losing your medications? Even flying from Anchorage to LAX, they confiscated & trashed my husbands psoriasis salve because it was in an 8 oz jar. He forgot to pack it in his checked bag. They can and do discard things all the time. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Archived