first time cruiser - Petrified we won't fit in!

Hi my names Jamie and in October I am going on a 17 night cruise around the med with my parents on board the P&O Arcadia. We haven't been on a cruise before and we don't know what to expect. Can you please assist in the following so we enjoy the cruise without worrying about fitting in. I personally are dreading the cruise! Silly I know. please help with some tips.

How many formal nights will we have in total?

How do you dress for formal nights. I have just turned 19 and my parents are 45 and 44

How should you dress for informal nights?

Will there be others on the ship my age?

All silly questions I know but we want to enjoy the cruise and not arrive on the ship anxious

Thanks everyone

Jamie:)

Go into the thread "First Time Cruisers".

You will get most of your questions answered there. I personally posted a list of cruising tips with basic questions and answers. Hope that helps.

Remember too, that 1/3 to 1/2 of the people on a cruise ship haven't cruised before (according to a Cruise Director I know).

Hi Jamie,

don't worry, I am so sure that when this trip is over you will only have wonderful memories. The first cruise is special for everyone. Remember that none of the experienced cruisers had cruised before their first cruise , just like you so they all understand ! I agree that you should read the recommended boards. You will find lots of info, but remember that just like going to a hotel or restaurant there are different ways for diferent folks, we don't all like the same things or care about the same details. Also, once on the boat the staff has answers to all questions . Make your cruise yours and your parent's. I so wish I had the chance to start cruising at your age ! As for formal, think fancy restaurant, the other days : regular clothes ( I had the same feeling about clothes before I cruised the first time and had this picture of "cruisewear" in my mind from when I was younger and thay had that departement in stores , navy and white stuf with gold embroidery etc. My best clue was to look at pictures on the Cruise critic posts, and many times you see cruisers on excursions or on the ship and on those pictures so see what they are wearing , and I noticed that they are wearing the same "tourist clothes" that the land tourists wear : sneakers, comfortable pants etc., and you can see some of the "formal wear"). My only recommandation in addition to reading the Cruise critic posts, is to read without delay the info your cuise company will give you. On Princess ( the only company I know) you get everynight , delivered to your cabin, a "Patter" wich is a journal that tells you all you need to know and do for the next day ( like all the ship activities, how to get off the ship for excuions, at what time to get back on the ship (very very important), and all the important info especially at the end of the cruise for preparing your luggage the last night etc). If you get something like that read it with attention since it is your first cruise.) There might also be an information channel on the TV in your cabin for the cruise info. The other thing is to get out of your cabin. A lot is happening on the ship that you can miss by sitting in your cabin. Last, I would recommend that you find the cruise director's desk and mention to them that this is your first cruise and you want to learn and make the most of it. I'm sure they will be delighted to meet an open minded and proactive person like you and take good care of you. So, just think of your cruise as going to a floating hotel with very happy people ( we all love cruising, this is why we go back ) and you will have a good time .... and discover why the feeling is sooooo much better that a floating hotel..... welcome Jamie to the cruising family ! You are already in !

On casual nights, wear slacks and a collared shirt (for men), for women, slacks, capris, skirts, sundresses, are fine. Heels make a woman's legs look great. Basically, whatever you'd wear to a decent restaurant will do.

On formal nights, for men--it's a tux or DARK suit. For women, an evening gown or cocktail dress.

For days on the ship, swimsuits, shorts, tees, etc... are all you need.

You will NOT be out of place! There are folks from ALL walks of life on cruises--and everyone is out for a good time. Enjoy!

There is no "right" or "wrong" way to cruise.

There may not be a lot of people your age on the cruise. My son was surprised at how few young people were on our last cruise, but I think that was to be expected. A 14 day cruise during the school year takes out a big chunk of the school & college age crowd.

That said, the few people in his age group really stood out from the crowd and tended to meet easier because of that. It was a bonding experience! Also, most of the crew tends to be young and so he made lots of lots of friends there too.

Because P&O have 3 types of evenings-formal, semi. and casual, I find it is easiest to take lots of separates, with plain bases ie. I have a simple black long dress which can be covered with sparkly tops; a long Indian skirt which can be dressed up or down, and a pair of velvet trousers which covers many events. Try to co-ordinate so that you're not carrying too much luggage, although if you're embarking from S'ton, that doesn't matter too much. Men on P&O do dress formally, so be prepared to go to Marks or Matalan for one of their cut-price DJs, or pack that suit and tie. This line is one of the few which asks for these formal clothes to be worn thru' the whole evening, and there have been reports of people being turned away from the theatre and bars if they've changed into informal. Yes, a 17 nighter can attract an older crowd, but there will be enough young people for you to meet. You'll love it! Enjoy-jocap.

Men on P&O do dress formally, so be prepared to go to Marks or Matalan for one of their cut-price DJs,

or pack that suit and tie.

This line is one of the few which asks for these formal clothes to be worn thru' the whole evening,

and there have been reports of people being turned away from the theatre and bars

if they've changed into informal.

Thanks for the warning! ;)

Hello,

You are reminded that you are an English lass, that is, you are a proud descendant of Nelson and Churchill. Translated, this means that nothing should faze you.

You will be just splendid if..you keep your head while the others are losing theirs. A cruise is an adventure, made much the better if you take the attitude that I shall have a great time.

Please put your "silly" concerns far far away.

Hi my names Jamie and in October I am going on a 17 night cruise around the med with my parents on board the P&O Arcadia. We haven't been on a cruise before and we don't know what to expect. Can you please assist in the following so we enjoy the cruise without worrying about fitting in. I personally are dreading the cruise! Silly I know. please help with some tips.

Thanks everyone

Jamie:)

Hi Jamie, Honestly, I think my daughter who is about your age would be nervous about spending so much time on a ship. I think you are doing the right thing by looking for ideas ahead of time. I would be looking for fun excursions to do in the ports [help your parents do some planning]. Hopefully, there will be some fun things to do onboard also where you can have time to hang out with others your age.

No matter how much you are worried now, I can bet that years from now you'll be thankful for the experience and have wonderful memories.

I hope you'll have a wonderful time, just go with a positive attitide, enjoy the time with your parents and make some really happy memories for all of you.

We usually take 3 dressy outfits, tux or white jacket for a man, at least sparkle tops and slacks for a woman, and smart casual - resort type outfits for other nights. The Mediterranean is really alllllllllll about the ports. Very port intensive cruises generally. We have taken 6+ Mediterranean cruise starting back in the late 1980s, going on our next one on the Celebrity out of Rome in October. So relax, no matter what you wear, the focus is on enjoying the ports and the ship. Have a great time. The ports are wonderful. :)

Okay, I can help with the attire questions...

I am 17 and I have been on 6 cruises.

Formal: I usually wear a dress that I could wear to a Homecoming Dance, usually knee length. Not something meant for prom. Some people do wear floor length gowns, but I never have.

Informal: I usually wear alot of sundresses or dress pants and a nice blouse.

Hope that helps in the fashion department. :)

Relax, enjoy. Nothing to worry about. If anyone stares at you, it's only because they are envious that you are young and have this opportunity to cruise.

Hear,hear! -Jocap.

Hi Jamie,

The first thing I want you to understand is that this is your cruise to enjoy. There is no one on board that can say that you did anything wrong if all you did every day is eat breakfast, sunbath, eat lunch, sunbath some more, eat dinner, and then relax before bed.

On the other hand though, there are always lots of thing to due for entertainment. Karioke (fun to listen even if you don't participate), trivia games, bingo (if you like that), broadway shows, the pools, arcada rooms, gyms. I am only scatching the surface here, but I agree with Sailingpeace, get out of your cabin as much as you can.

Since this is your 1st cruise, I also agree that you should do the formal dinners, or at least some of them. As to dress, all I can say is be careful how you pack, it is easy to overdo. If you have some outfits where you can mix & match, they should help you though a few nights. Also remember that you are probably going to buy clothing while on the trip, and you can mix these into your outfits.

Have fun & enjoy the cruise.:)

Everyone "Fits In" at sea! That's the great part about cruising - you go and have Your Cruise, doing what you like to do, regardless of who else is doing whatever else.

Please put those concerns far behind, you are worrying for nothing. Spend that energy dreaming about what you will see and do.

Jamie-don't worry too much about the formality. You can always go to the buffet if it feels a bit stuffy one night-P&O put on Indian or Italian themes on in the buffet on some nights. And don't worry about the sort of people-there's EVERY type on board. On our last P&O, there was the head town planner on our table, a school dinner lady and a shelf stacker at Sainsburys. We all got on so well that we would miss the meal and go to the theme nights together-the 8 of us who were strangers originally. The head waiter used to say the main restaurant was so quiet without us! You'll probably tie up with the other young people on board and have a whale of a time-Love, jocap.

Jamie, let me also say you will have a marvelous time. Our daughter last cruised with us as a 21 year old college graduate. She like you was not sure she wanted to cruise with "the parents" and a bunch of old folks but she had a great cruise. She spent much of her time in various out of the way spots reviewing chemistry and neuroscience for graduate school (which did make some people marvel -- like me!) but she choose what to do and when to do it. You too will find that you are not the child but more the companion of your parents. It was such a fun time for us all because 2 years later she was married and not in our "family cabin". Now in two weeks, she is taking her 6 month old son on his first cruise! I would guess Philip's first cruise may not be much of a memory BUT yours will be. You are the one to define "fitting in"-- no one else will be judging you because they will be having to much fun doing their own thing. ENJOY

Archived