Warning: Pick pocketing in barcelona

gmabcd

just a warning if you are going to Barcelona. We just got off the voyager of the seas RCCL cruise that left from Barcelona and before the cruise we were pickpocketed in Barcelona. We live in NY and we are not Naive!! I can not tell you how many people we spoke to in Barcelona and on ship that told us that they were pickpocketed as well. It is not just a few cases but wide spread!!!! We did have a great time but I must tell you that I would never go back to Barcelona because of this!!! We felt violated!! It's not like we are not used to big cities such as NYC!!!! So many people we ran into during this week were also pickpocketed or had some story to tell us. I don't enjoy going on a vacation and have to worry every second that I am going to be ripped off!!! Good bye to Barcelona. Otherwise we had a great time, after we spent many hours trying to stop our credit cards and attempt to find out how we were goling to get money to spend while we were away!! What a worry!!!:mad:

I'm so sorry this happened to you. :( Can you tell us the circumstances in which you were pickpocketed, including where your wallet/money was stored that was lifted? We are going to Barcelona in November and would like to do our best to learn from these stories so we can protect ourselves.

This subject and especially in BCN has been written about many times on this board..it is an artfrom there..they are trained from birth and they are very good at it..it is not like here in the US,and other cities in Europe have the same problem.this is why on all the threads it comes down to carry only what you need for the day or time you are out and about and never keep anything in your pockets and your bags zipped.There are all kinds of PP's there ans different types of scams to get your money.You are by no means the first nor the last.I am sorry it left such a bad taste with you as BCN is a wonderful city to visit.

I am sorry that you were pickpocketed. What a dreadful start to what should have been a wonderful vacation! It is a shame that pickpocketing is such a problem there and I am sorry that Barcelona left a bad taste in your mouth because it truly is a lovely city.

For future visitors, this is a good reminder that you need to be careful while you are touring. I hope that no one is discouraged from visiting such a fantastic place. Instead, I would advise taking precautions, being careful about your possessions and always being aware of your surroundings. We were cautious while touring and had absolutely no problems.

I'm so sorry this happened to you. :( Can you tell us the circumstances in which you were pickpocketed, including where your wallet/money was stored that was lifted? We are going to Barcelona in November and would like to do our best to learn from these stories so we can protect ourselves.

This post gives a lot of good suggestions on protecting yourself from pickpockets:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=973347&page=10

Don't let it scare you into not enjoying Barcelona. It mostly boils down to taking the simple precautions outlined by cberge above. Most of the pickpocketings occur either as a result of people not being aware and/or not taking appropriate precautions to keep their valuables inaccessible.

I too was pickpocketed in Barcelona because I "thought" I was smart and vigilant enough to outwit a pickpocket. I was wrong. Don't try it!

(BTW, Barcelona is a lovely city and I would go back in a second.......with a money belt.)

We were in Barcelona last November, and I had no problems. BUT, I ALWAYS had my wits about me and took the usual precautions that have been discussed on these boards.

• try not to stand out - try to blend in and not look like a target. Do not wear expensive jewellery and try to dress like the locals. My physical appearance is such that I do not look like the rest of the locals, but I did not feel like a target because I dressed rather simply, and what I carried with me were very understated (no flashy bags, watches, or jewellery). If you are flashy, you will be a target.
  • Keep a minimum amount of cash with you. You can carry it in your purse, but keep it in a zippered compartment inside the purse. Also, have a small amount of cash easily accessible - I would advise to just keep it in the front pocket of your jeans so that you can easily reach for it without fumbling through your purse or your money belt. (I would actually advise against the money belt if you are just out sightseeing because it is hard to get to it. Keep your cash in the safe in your room instead, and carry a small amount with you for the day.)
  • Only carry one credit card with you (and one with a low credit limit), and keep it in your purse in a zippered compartment.
  • ALWAYS be aware of your surroundings. Always keep a tight hold of your purse and zip it up and even lock it with a safety pin or just tie the zippers together. You need to be especially vigilant when you are in a crowded area.

These tips may sound extreme, but I do not do these only when I am in Barcelona; I take these precautions wherever I go and I have travelled to many places in the world. Knock on wood, but I have *never* been pick-pocketed.

Enjoy Barcelona, but keep these precautions in mind. It is a very lovely city and one that I would go back to time and again.

I am sorry you were pickpocketed. They are very sly, so don't beat yourself up. Our guide said they are professionals and come from all over the world. I would recommend that anybody going do what we did, wear your money in a money belt under your clothes. So you look like a dope when you are getting your money out, but at least you know where your money is.:) We are from NY also, there are plenty of pick pockets in NY, but they prey on tourists. In Europe we ARE the tourists. As I mentioned in another thread, our guide warned us about gypsies in Rome, Florence and Pisa. They travel in packs and will create a diversion and before you know it they have your money.

We were very careful and kept everything very close to our "person". Stayed in BCN for 3 days after disembarking on July 15th. We had a wonderful time, didn't see, or experience any bad behavior in any of the ports. We had a very positive experience and would love to do it ("every step" and there were many:D) all over again. We all have to be careful no matter where we are these days. I'm sorry that some had negative experiences, I'm sure it does take away alot of joy that could have been had.:(

A few more hints:

1. we bought a slash proof, steel inforced backpack with a lock (REI)- and we only use it to store things we can afford to loose, such as my precious souvenirs, water, umbrellas.

2. We also wear a special hidden wrist pouch that matches our jackets - easy to push up high on your arm, but easy to slip down and access small amounts of cash. DH has a money belt. But NEVER go into a money pouch unless you are are in a private, room or toilet stall. The whole point of the pouch is to have limited access not to fumble for your money in the restaurant or store. Anything around your neck can be cut - use something attached under your pants line attached inside.

3. Our jackets have deep, zippable/velcrowed inside pockets to carry one accessable additional credit card, small camera, copies of passports and drivers license and, of course, cruise cards. DH has one card w/small balance in money belt, I have the other in secure pouch.

4. I never carry a purse, that is asking for trouble. Again, put lipstick, etc in the backpack for DH to carry.

5. We never get into conversation with anyone approaching us on the street, especially when they are smiling and talk very fast - we know we look like tourist and no one would ask us for any information. Talking fast with a big smile is a dead giveaway. Don't look like you have anything, dress conservatively and leave the jewlery in the room safe - even your wedding ring.

6. And at this point if some stranger told me that I had food down my shirt - or spilled it down my shirt - I would probably take a swing at them.

We are southerners from the big city (Atlanta) and we were raised to be polite. And we love to travel. but we aren't rich, and refuse to be victims. Have a good time, but realize that in crowded areas, in train stations, airports, etc. that you are most likely being sized up - make sure that they decide you are not worth the risk.

A few more hints:

1. we bought a slash proof, steel inforced backpack with a lock (REI)- and we only use it to store things we can afford to loose, such as my precious souvenirs, water, umbrellas.

2. We also wear a special hidden wrist pouch that matches our jackets - easy to push up high on your arm, but easy to slip down and access small amounts of cash. DH has a money belt. But NEVER go into a money pouch unless you are are in a private, room or toilet stall. The whole point of the pouch is to have limited access not to fumble for your money in the restaurant or store. Anything around your neck can be cut - use something attached under your pants line attached inside.

3. Our jackets have deep, zippable/velcrowed inside pockets to carry one accessable additional credit card, small camera, copies of passports and drivers license and, of course, cruise cards. DH has one card w/small balance in money belt, I have the other in secure pouch.

4. I never carry a purse, that is asking for trouble. Again, put lipstick, etc in the backpack for DH to carry.

5. We never get into conversation with anyone approaching us on the street, especially when they are smiling and talk very fast - we know we look like tourist and no one would ask us for any information. Talking fast with a big smile is a dead giveaway. Don't look like you have anything, dress conservatively and leave the jewlery in the room safe - even your wedding ring.

6. And at this point if some stranger told me that I had food down my shirt - or spilled it down my shirt - I would probably take a swing at them.

We are southerners from the big city (Atlanta) and we were raised to be polite. And we love to travel. but we aren't rich, and refuse to be victims. Have a good time, but realize that in crowded areas, in train stations, airports, etc. that you are most likely being sized up - make sure that they decide you are not worth the risk.

That's interesting that you chose to bring a backpack and not a purse. I've heard to avoid wearing a backpack because this is a dead giveaway you are tourist.

Thanks for the tips!! This is very helpful!

We also wear a special hidden wrist pouch that matches our jackets - easy to push up high on your arm, but easy to slip down and access small amounts of cash.
Great tips dalgirl. We practice most of them when traveling but the hidden wrist pouch is new to me. Where do you buy it - or is it something you make to match your jacket? Thanks for any info. ;);)

I think it's important to keep pick pocketing in perspective. Although it's dreadful for the people it happens to, there are thousands and thousands of tourists who it never happens to. We've just been to Barcelona and it's no different to any other city in Europe including London - keep a tight hold of your zipped up bag, don't get caught in tight crowds and be aware of people around you. We've travelled with young family for years in European cities and never had any trouble. Of course it happens but you shouldn't stop going places because of it because you miss out on seeing some wonderful things and amazing experiences.

why don't I just wear a steel body suit and this way nobody could get to me! Wow I don't think it is worth going back. Too many people I spoke to when I was there experienced what I did. Pickpocketing in Barcelona is an industry and it doesn't happen in NYC like this!!

Sorry about your experience. Unfortunately, Bcn is in a class of its own as far as pickpocketers are concerned. When there I usually do not carry a purse, I wear pants that have zippered pockets and carry whatever euros I need and one credit card. If I need to carry more, like a map or tissues, I carry them in a small plastic shopping bag. Not very fashionable but who cares!

I think it's important to keep pick pocketing in perspective. Although it's dreadful for the people it happens to, there are thousands and thousands of tourists who it never happens to. We've just been to Barcelona and it's no different to any other city in Europe including London - keep a tight hold of your zipped up bag, don't get caught in tight crowds and be aware of people around you. We've travelled with young family for years in European cities and never had any trouble. Of course it happens but you shouldn't stop going places because of it because you miss out on seeing some wonderful things and amazing experiences.

Sorry, but it is different in Bcn. In how many cities you encounter tourist upon tourist telling you that they were just pickpocketed?? It happens to me invariably every time I go to Bcn (meeting people that have been pickpocketed). And the fact that you have been lucky and it didn't happen to you doesn't mean that it is not rampant there. I have also been lucky in that respect but that doesn't make it less true.

I am going on a cruise next May that begins in Barcelona and plan to spend a few days beforehand. There have been many threads on here addressing this issue. I think doing some planning ahead of time will be a deterrent to pickpockets (PacSafe slashproof purse) and will wear it crossbody. I also have a trifold wallet that came with a long chain that attaches inside the purse. I think it comes down to common street smarts - only go out with the minimum of cash you think you may need and be very aware of your surroundings. I intend to keep the majority of money in safes either in the motel or on the ship while out and about, I think one can safely minimize the chance of being a target and if not, at least they've not gotten everything you own allowing it to ruin your trip.

I am going on a cruise next May that begins in Barcelona and plan to spend a few days beforehand. There have been many threads on here addressing this issue. I think doing some planning ahead of time will be a deterrent to pickpockets (PacSafe slashproof purse) and will wear it crossbody. I also have a trifold wallet that came with a long chain that attaches inside the purse. I think it comes down to common street smarts - only go out with the minimum of cash you think you may need and be very aware of your surroundings. I intend to keep the majority of money in safes either in the motel or on the ship while out and about, I think one can safely minimize the chance of being a target and if not, at least they've not gotten everything you own allowing it to ruin your trip.

I think you've got it! Enjoy Barcelona. It is a truly beautiful, artful city. I'd love to return there some day.

I'm shopping for a PacSafe purse right now. There are so many choices!

just a warning if you are going to Barcelona. We just got off the voyager of the seas RCCL cruise that left from Barcelona and before the cruise we were pickpocketed in Barcelona. We live in NY and we are not Naive!! I can not tell you how many people we spoke to in Barcelona and on ship that told us that they were pickpocketed as well. It is not just a few cases but wide spread!!!! We did have a great time but I must tell you that I would never go back to Barcelona because of this!!! We felt violated!! It's not like we are not used to big cities such as NYC!!!! So many people we ran into during this week were also pickpocketed or had some story to tell us. I don't enjoy going on a vacation and have to worry every second that I am going to be ripped off!!! Good bye to Barcelona. Otherwise we had a great time, after we spent many hours trying to stop our credit cards and attempt to find out how we were goling to get money to spend while we were away!! What a worry!!!:mad:

Sorry to hear of your bad experience and those of other fellow cruisers.

Like others we tried to be smart and carefuly and like many others ( I hope ) enjoyed Barcelona and Las Ramblas with no issues. I think nothing replaces being careful and enviromentally aware. Things like pacsafe etc. are good secondary insurance policies but being vigilent is number 1.

We for one would return as our one and half days wasn't enough to take in all this wonderful city had to offer. Sigh, so many places to go so little vacation time :mad:

The wrist holder comes in several colors and we bought ours in a local travel clothing store, but you can buy them online I am sure. They come in small, med, and large. And the backpack is steal meshed reinforced - all around including the straps. We close it off with a ring or lock - something that can't be opened with just a tug. And as for wearing a backpack to "give away" we are tourists- it is obvious we are tourists - we are smiling, relaxed, looking around in awe at the sites, and having a good time:D. We were spotted as tourists in San Francisco - we were too happy to be there! We are obviously American - we have always been picked out in Europe as American even when we were looking around without the trapments of "tourist" or just having dinner. If you are observant it can be a fun game. In Paris we could even pick out the Brits before they spoke:) - its all in the way you dress, how you move, how you look someone in the eye. Don't want to break anyone's cover, but we Americans have our own body language - for the most part a good thing to be proud of! My favorite story from "60 Minutes" was the American girl of Japanese heritage who thought she would "blend in" while living in Japan. Not even close, they could tell by her body language she was US or A born and raised:) So don't try to blend in - keep yourself aware, be smart and do you homework before you go. We have never been accosted, but you never know.

The wrist holder comes in several colors and we bought ours in a local travel clothing store, but you can buy them online I am sure. They come in small, med, and large. And the backpack is steal meshed reinforced - all around including the straps. We close it off with a ring or lock - something that can't be opened with just a tug. And as for wearing a backpack to "give away" we are tourists- it is obvious we are tourists - we are smiling, relaxed, looking around in awe at the sites, and having a good time:D. We were spotted as tourists in San Francisco - we were too happy to be there! We are obviously American - we have always been picked out in Europe as American even when we were looking around without the trapments of "tourist" or just having dinner. If you are observant it can be a fun game. In Paris we could even pick out the Brits before they spoke:) - its all in the way you dress, how you move, how you look someone in the eye. Don't want to break anyone's cover, but we Americans have our own body language - for the most part a good thing to be proud of! My favorite story from "60 Minutes" was the American girl of Japanese heritage who thought she would "blend in" while living in Japan. Not even close, they could tell by her body language she was US or A born and raised:) So don't try to blend in - keep yourself aware, be smart and do you homework before you go. We have never been accosted, but you never know.

This is true. Our parents are from Hong Kong and I visited Hong Kong in 2000. Everyone started talking to me in English, not Cantonese, because they knew I was not from Hong Kong by looking at me. :D

Sorry to hear of your bad experience and those of other fellow cruisers.

Like others we tried to be smart and carefuly and like many others ( I hope ) enjoyed Barcelona and Las Ramblas with no issues. I think nothing replaces being careful and enviromentally aware. Things like pacsafe etc. are good secondary insurance policies but being vigilent is number 1.

We for one would return as our one and half days wasn't enough to take in all this wonderful city had to offer. Sigh, so many places to go so little vacation time :mad:

ok I went right here and this is what I saw on this purse, does anyone think this is ok? Man I am worried now, but I am going to take my big

Umbrella and they better try nothing!

This is one of two pac-safe bags that we use. This one is for all the things they demonstrated - travel guide, water, umbrella, rain capes, small wallet, slim camera etc. We call it the "man purse" because DH is the one that usually lugs all this stuff. I also have slingsafe 100 which is for essentials like credit card, cash, small camera.

You'll be happy with your purchase.

Archived