Warning: Pick pocketing in barcelona

gmabcd

I visited Barcelona for two weeks just a few years back and was not pick pocketed. In Madrid, two strong attempts, but both failed.

The problem is either than you are completely unaware of what is happening to you, or you are accosted (for example, to ask you a question) and are so surprised at being approached that by the time you realize what is going on it may be too late. Busy, crowded areas are prime locations for thieves.

There are lots of good tips here, but an easy one is to carry the bare minimum of cash and one credit card, that's it. You know your exposure and don't have to worry so much. I don't even wear my watch or take the passport. Everything is back in the safe.

Interesting article and yet, not the Las Rambla we visited in May.

We did not venture out after dark, so I'm sure there is a different story to tell there. We were there the night of the Barca Euro cup win. While every victory has it rabbel-rousers, the majority of celebrators were peaceful, jubilant and non-threatening (as observed from our Las Ramblas balcony).

This article would not stop me from recommending a Las Rambla visit to future tourists, but it would, of course, reinforce the message of taking safety precautions and awareness of one's surroundings.

If this article serves any purpose, I would hope that it prompts Barcelona to work on it's image by tourists. It is a gem of a city!

As a woman traveling alone, I like to put my money in my bra. When it is time to pay, I can go into the rest room and take out what I need. I can't imagine anyone reaching in there... but then again, you never know.. lol...

And one nice thing about taking a shore excursion from your ship... you don't have to exchange any money outside...

http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/298scam.htm

I would suggest not using the bags with or without cut proof straps. If you must carry a bag and someone tries to steal it I suggest just pre-conditioning yourself to let go so you don't get hurt. Nothing you care about should be in a purse or shoulder bag in Europe. Examples of things you can carry in a shoulder bag: umbrella, tour book, map, tissues etc. You get the idea. Nothing you would care about losing.

The best advice has been stated here. Don't carry a bag at all. A money belt is the best. When we pay my husband just unbuckles his shirt, opens the pouch and gets what we need. After all you are a tourist. For smaller amounts I have purchased a few lightweight jackets with pockets over the chest with button holes so tight that I can barely open them. Someone mentioned a vest. That is a good idea. If the pockets are placed right ladies, you will feel it if someone is trying to get in there. If you have pockets over the chest but the buttons aren't tight enough you can sew them closed a bit more so that they are really hard to open. If I need a packet of tissues or something I put it in my regular pocket. However in secure chest pocket I keep ship card, credit card, copy of passport and Euros. Husband keeps same in money belt. I also have a money belt which I can use if I need to carry more, like my passport or tickets.

Attempts to steal we've been subjected to:

Train station in Barcelona, when buying overnight tickets to Paris. Official at counter tells us it is X Euro and only cash accepted, no credit cards. We go to ATM to get X Euro and pay official behind counter. He hands us document which is receipt for Y Euro. We get back in line, point out the difference and get extra Euro refunded. "Oops, so sorry, a mistake". Clearly this works on alot of tourist who don't inspect documents closely or are confused by the documents only being in Spanish.

In Venice when buying water taxi tickets at official booth at pier. We pay Z Euro and expect change. Guy gives us too little change. I point it out. Guy adds additional change to pile but palms some of existing change back. I point this out to him.

In France at hotel, have prepaid vouchers for hotel which includes breakfast. Hotel denies breakfast is in rate. Produce written confirmation. Hotel denies breakfast included. Hotel still tries to charge for breakfast. We refuse to pay. Eventually breakfast included.

The one we've seen the most is the taxi driver who takes a 20E and holds up a 10E saying you didn't give him enough. Whenever giving someone money in Europe say "Here is a _____ Euro". Then you and he both know what you gave him.

In Rome, surrounded by teenage girls asking us for directions. They are clearly casing us to see where we have our money. But they can't tell. We have no purse, no wallet, no target that is visible to them. We invite them to ask at our hotel for directions, which we are a few doors down from but they decline and move on.

In Rome and many other cities things pushed in our hands which we let fall to the ground.

In Lima Peru, while on Princess tour, man on the Princess tour right next to us, inside a church, sprayed with whipped cream and told it was bird poop. Man cleaning it off for him takes all out of his pockets while doing it. Right on the tour and inside the church.

I have been to Barcelona three times. I look like a tourist. Only tourist are standing around gawking at tourist sights. I have wandered the streets of Las Ramblas on my own. I do not try to fit in. I wear white tennis shoes. I have been known to wander around Rome with my Rick Steve's book in hand following a walking tour. I have taken many hop-on hop-off buses. Last time I was in Barcelona I was by myself and took the Metro to 3 different sites and back to the ship. I have asked directions of many people on the street. I love to take pictures. I have my camera attached to my wrist with a velcro strap and cord used for diving. It is long enough I can put my camera in my pocket and walk normally and take it out to take pictures. Sometimes I use a fanny pack that I keep in the front of me with multiple interior pockets where the money is but no wallet that can easily be lifted. I had to add this to my travel gear due to a food allergy where I need to carry my meals with me. But if I could get away with it I would still travel with no bag.

I would never carry a shoulder bag. With a shoulder bag you have to always be clutching and watching it. It changes your body language.

Walk tall, strong, don't look scared. If someone looks like they are casing you give them the evil eye. Let them see that you have seen them. Thieves can also wear white tennis shoes and carry Rick Steve's books. After all they have alot of them from the bags they have stolen so don't let appearances deceive you.

$.02

Michelle

i survived barcelona for 3 days without an incident. however I did see some interesting gypsy women working in 3s. they are either begging outside the church in the barri goti or giving out red carnations. there is a third one lurking around looking innocent. I was very paranoid on the Ramblas. It was very crowded. just be aware.

$.02
Michelle - what a great $.02 contribution you've made! I agree that being street-smart & aware of your surroundings goes a long way to thwarting petty thieves & opportunists. Best to travel hands-free & move confidently. Your advice is good value for $$$. :):)

I have been to BCN multiple times and have never been pickpocketed, thank goodness. However, I NEVER carry a purse of any kind anywhere in Europe. I have a small satin pouch that clips on to my bra straps and I carry one credit card and enough euros for the day--that's it. We sometimes carry a backpack but it only has water, umbrellas, jackets, chapstick, kleenex, etc. Our hands are free and empty. We are very aware of anyone getting too close and we are on alert while walking or riding the metro--we only used public transportation. It is a beautiful city and it's too bad that it's getting such a bad rap--don't miss it, just travel as smart as you possibly can.

Cathy

Where did you buy the satin pouch? I'd like to find one. Thanks

Where did you buy the satin pouch? I'd like to find one. Thanks

I purchased one for $5 at my local AAA office in May when I went there to purchase my International Driving Permit (a bargain insurance policy if you plan to rent a car at any time for $15). I used it everyday on my June Athens to Rome cruise (and five-day stay post-cruise in Rome) in place of my moneybelt, frankly because I get too sweaty around my tummy money belt in the summer heat.:)

I would put my ATM card and some folded-up Euros inside and I was good to go for the day with absolutely no pickpocket worries. Very comfortable and easy to snap on the bra.

I read about it first on these boards, and I highly recommend it.

http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/298scam.htm

I would suggest not using the bags with or without cut proof straps. If you must carry a bag and someone tries to steal it I suggest just pre-conditioning yourself to let go so you don't get hurt. Nothing you care about should be in a purse or shoulder bag in Europe. Examples of things you can carry in a shoulder bag: umbrella, tour book, map, tissues etc. You get the idea. Nothing you would care about losing.

$.02

Michelle

Your 2 cents are tens of dollars of value ;). I too am not a believer in these except a body belt for passports and cash when you must.

I found this on the internet at PackingLight.com - I also saw some socks with a zip pouch. Has anyone tried these? It seems that it would be easy to get to, but not easy for thieves to get to.

We bought the zippered socks. My husband has used them. The pocket is big enough for a credit card and some cash. Your right, they are easy to get into and no one has tried to steal from them.

Best,

Michelle

I think it was earlier in this thread that people reported that some hotel safes were broken into in Barcelona. I found that PacSafe makes a portable safe and I think I'll invest in one. (Not only for this trip but I've been on trips recently where the hotel safe was broken or there wasn't one at all.)

http://www.pacsafe.com/www/index.php?_room=3&_action=detail&id=18

According to the dimensions, it will fit our Netbook as well as other valuables. PacSafe also makes a larger one that will fit a 15.4" laptop.

I think it was earlier in this thread that people reported that some hotel safes were broken into in Barcelona. I found that PacSafe makes a portable safe and I think I'll invest in one. (Not only for this trip but I've been on trips recently where the hotel safe was broken or there wasn't one at all.)

According to the dimensions, it will fit our Netbook as well as other valuables. PacSafe also makes a larger one that will fit a 15.4" laptop.

Rebecca: Didn't you buy the bag that you carry accross your chest? I couldn't find it on "PacSafe". Do you recall the name of it?

Rebecca: Didn't you buy the bag that you carry accross your chest? I couldn't find it on "PacSafe". Do you recall the name of it?

I bought 2 PacSafe bags and haven't decided which to use:

http://www.basegear.com/pacsafe-toursafe-petite-handbag.html

http://www.basegear.com/pacsafe-metrosafe-200.html

Also got my husband a PacSafe wallet with chain:

http://www.basegear.com/pacsafe-walletsafe-bifold-wallet.html

That web site is the cheapest online too. Trust me, I spent an hour checking. :D

OK, maybe I am an idiot, but if it is portable, won't the hotel safe thief just take the whole thing? After all, anyone who really would bother buying and bringing one of those with them must have some really good stuff stashed in it!

I'll take my chances on my room safe or the safe behind the front desk, as I have for the past 30 years. (Of course, I only use a money belt or bra stash on the streets; I never carry a purse in Europe, just weighs my shoulder down after a long day of sightseeing and one more thing to worry about!:))

OK, maybe I am an idiot, but if it is portable, won't the hotel safe thief just take the whole thing?

You use the cable & lock to anchor it to a fixed object like you would a bike to a bike rack. You could anchor it to the bed or something like that. So the thief would have to steal the whole bed to take your safe. ;)

You use the cable & lock to anchor it to a fixed object like you would a bike to a bike rack. You could anchor it to the bed or something like that. So the thief would have to steal the whole bed to take your safe. ;)

If they want to get your stuff, they will. They can cut the cable. They cut the cables of those Unbreakable bike locks in NY all the time.

If they want to get your stuff, they will. They can cut the cable. They cut the cables of those Unbreakable bike locks in NY all the time.

With that sort of thinking, I guess we should just leave all our cars and houses unlocked too because if the thief wants to break in, they will?? I'm just sharing additional things I find online that may deter thieves.

Obviously, nothing is full proof. If someone wants to steal the stuff in a money belt, they can pin a person down and cut it off too...especially after they saw where the money belt is because he unbuttoned his shirt in front of the whole store to reach into his pants to pay for something. :rolleyes:

Obviously, nothing is full proof. If someone wants to steal the stuff in a money belt, they can pin a person down and cut it off ...
While nothing is fool-proof, there are measures that folks can take to limit their exposure to being targets of petty theft. This thread is full of helpful advice that doesn't involve buying a whole bunch of specialty gear. Much has to do with individual behavior & being aware of your surroundings.

Archived