Warning: Pick pocketing in barcelona

gmabcd

The previous poster stated ... "We were very vigilant but it didn't ruin our mood." I think this is exactly correct. We also took precautions (including the PacSafe purse which my DW had used in Europe before) and then proceeded to have a terrific time in Barcelona. Once you "learn" the technique of precaution, it becomes second nature and just the standard way you behave when you travel. And, you'll hear dozen's of "horror stories" once you board the ship from those who didn't learn how to travel safely and lost all sorts of stuff.

Please forgive me as I get up on my soapbox and let you know that Times Square is one of the safest places in NY these days. After 9/11 NYPD set up a station there, so there are police everywhere. The least safe city in the US now is New Orleans, however I would never let that deter me from re-visiting that wonderful city.

Sorry, for the stereotype of NYC of old. Fill in Time Square with whatever local crime ridden but heavily tourist place you like.

Reality if its a tourist attraction their will be opportunistic theives. Barcelona, New Orleans, damm even my home town can be a risk. Be aware and smart is the answer everywhere.

Could it be that those the cruise could simply be easier targets.. oh no another stereo type.. sorry :D

Sometimes I have to ask myself whether or not I feel sorry for the person who looses their wallet or purse when I see purses sitting open in shopping carts in Walmart, Costco, etc. I do feel sorry for them, but frankly some people just either don't get it or they have to learn the hard way. It is not really that onerous to take simple precautions and to be aware of what is going on about you.

This post seems to be one of the never-ending threads. We have traveled extensively in Europe (and the rest of the world) for over 40 years and have never had our pocket sucessfully picked. My problem with this thread is that the pickpocket problem exists everywhere and focusing on Barcelona is a mistake since you should practice common sense avoidance no matter where you travel. By the way, we have only had 3 attempts made to pick our pocket and they were in Arles, France; Bologna, Italy; and Istanbul, Turkey. We easily foiled all 3 attempts by simply being aware of our surroundings. As to Barcelona, we have been there more than 15 times (on cruises and on land) and have never had a problem although we did see a woman have her purse snatched last year when she had it sitting on the ground as she ate at an outdoor cafe. Another man from a different table saw what was happening and quickly chased the crook and retrieved the purse. When he gave it back to the lady she had not even noticed that it was gone or the commotion as the other man chased the crook.

Hank

While I don't disagree that being careful wherever you are traveling is of the most importance, I do think that Barcelona seems to have the most reports of pickpocketings recently.

I've been the victim of attempted pickpocketings in Rome and Paris. but they were only successful in Barcelona. I'm not a "clueless" tourist, but they still managed to make off with my wallet (from my zipped purse which was under my arm at the time).

There IS a certain amount of skill involved in at least some of these instances.

Sometimes I have to ask myself whether or not I feel sorry for the person who looses their wallet or purse when I see purses sitting open in shopping carts in Walmart, Costco, etc. I do feel sorry for them, but frankly some people just either don't get it or they have to learn the hard way. It is not really that onerous to take simple precautions and to be aware of what is going on about you.

Sorry, but "simple" precautions won't cut it in certain cities in Europe. The pickpockets there are sophisticated and professional and have many ways of getting your money. These professionals work in groups and come from all over Europe to target their victims. Thinking that you can outsmart them is going to make you a victim. jmo.

I would agree that "simple precautions" will not guarantee you not being a victim. In fact, if you are in many US cities you can take lots of simple precautions, but if somebody decided to put a bullet in your head and than take your belongings there is not much you can do! The truth is that even so-called professionals tend to take the easiest target. They are not looking for trouble and do not want to be caught. Simple common sense precautions will help tilt the odds in your favor. For example, a woman who carries her purse cross-shoulders and puts a diaper pin on the zipper (my wife) has a good chance of being ignored by a "pro" who will simply pick an easier target. A man who carries his wallet in a front pocket and puts a few large rubber bands around his wallet (me) is going to often be ignored in favor of the guy who has a wallet sticking part-way out of his back pocket. So, you also take a few other precautions. For example, you should not carry a lot of money or many credit cards. Leave the bulk of your valuables in a safe on your ship or a hotel. I also sometimes will carry a "dummy" cheap wallet in my back pocket while my money is tucked securely in a front pocket. There are also neck wallets (worn under a shirt), money belts, etc. But most victims will tell you that they were simply distracted and really did not take any precautions.

Hank

In fact, if you are in many US cities you can take lots of simple precautions, but if somebody decided to put a bullet in your head and than take your belongings there is not much you can do!

Hank

After someone puts a bullet in your head, I doubt that you are going to care if your belongings are then stolen.

This thread is going waaay out of line since pickpockets don't do bodily harm at all!!

SIMPLE precautions DO work!!

I am over 60 years old and all the normal things I'd do when visiting any big city in the world will prevent pickpockets from bothering you in Barcelona too!!

I walked all over the city--daytime/nighttime and was just fine!!!

IF you go to Trip Advisor on the Barcelona city forum there is a list of common sense ways to prevent probs.

They work!!!!

We have just come back from a trip to Barcelona, Madrid and Lisbon.

We didn't have any problems, but then it isn't peak tourist season so the crowds are less. I carry a leather satchel type bag that sits flat against my body with the strap across my shoulder. I have a small wallet that I keep cash, an ID and a credit card in, that, along with my mobile gets placed in the inside pocket of the bag.

My husband has a wallet that attaches to his belt loop and tucks inside is trousers, in that is the bulk of our money and passports. We have a digital SLR that is in a backpack (although I often tuck a lens in my bag). I wear my wedding rings and so does my husband. We dress as we would at home (London). Of course we carry maps and guide books, but we try and look at them only when needed.

I think that you can be unlucky, but after travelling to about 100 cities, I can say that the biggest advice is to watch each other and avoid where possible large crowds standing still (i.e by buskers).

The only time I have had something taken was my oyster card in London. I put it in my coat pocket (instead of my bag) and was standing on the platform waiting for the train - so broke my own rules.

Everyone posting in this thread has a point; however street crime is everywhere these days, especially in big cities. All these suggestions made by other posters (try not to carry things you can't afford to loose, use a money belt, a bra stash etc) are very useful, but nothing can be more useful, either when travelling or in the city we live in, than common sense. Barcelona is a big and beautiful city. Relax, keep your eyes open and enjoy travelling.

• 3 weeks later...

Some very good advice above but it is advice that all of us as travelers must have heard and must be aware of. I have never had any problems in Barca r any other big city for that matter but I always use common sense and follow the advice and tips that I have found out over the years and that I have researched before i travel.

All this however does not make me or anyone else immune to pickpockets and scams but when I do get outwitted it will only be for the amount of cash that I would have needed for my time on the streets between leaving my cabin or hotel room until I get back a few hours later.

Put any cash that you must have with you in a pair of shorts with button down pockets UNDER your trousers or shorts. Carry a small camera in your hand with strap around your wrist in a pocket. They will spot you are a tourist from miles away so there's no point in trying to hide that fact so don't be afraid of taking photos so long as it's where lots of people can see you.

Remember, they ARE professional and they know you are a tourist, so make sure you look like one who is a difficult target and one not worth bothering with.

After staying three nights pre-cruise and three nights post-cruise on the NCL GEM last July in Barcelona, we felt totally safe in Barcelona. However, our first night post-cruise we decided to see the fountain light show near the Espana metro station. After the show, at 10:00 PM, we decided to take the subway back to the Hotel. We were among the large crowds trying to board the train. While following my wife and son through the swing door turnstile, a young man came at me in the opposite direction. Before I could do something, I realized he grabbed my wallet from my front pocket. I made the mistake of carrying too many things in my wallet. We went across the street to the police station to file a report. The officer was extremely sympathethic and did confirm that this is a major problem in Barcelona. After our long and depressing trip back to the hotel, we were contemplating our next plan of action. Entering the hotel lobby at 11:30 PM, the hotel manager said that he received a phone call from a security guard across the street near the Metro Station. He was at the bull arena presently being renovated. We made our way back to the arena and to make a long story short, I was given back my wallet, less the few Euros and Dollars, with all my credit cards, pictures and drivers license. Since I had the hotel card in my wallet, the guard was able to call. I learned my lesson. Do not carry anything that you will not need on your trip. We are cruising in Europe again this summer and I will be aware of everyone around me.

We were in Barcelona for three days before our cruise, stayed at Hotel 1898 on the la ramblas. We didn't have any problems with pickpockets. We heard the warnings and were careful, but we weren't paranoid about it. If you go to Barcelona, be careful, be watchful be wise, and safe.

We were in Barcelona for three days before our cruise, stayed at Hotel 1898 on the la ramblas. We didn't have any problems with pickpockets. We heard the warnings and were careful, but we weren't paranoid about it. If you go to Barcelona, be careful, be watchful be wise, and safe.

Out of the thousends of people who walk up and down Las Ramblas only a small few are affected.

It's unlikely anything will happen but there is a chance just like there is a chance of winning the Lotto. If it does happen make sure it's for the smallest amount possible (other way around for Lotto of course!:))

I also sometimes will carry a "dummy" cheap wallet in my back pocket while my money is tucked securely in a front pocket.

Hank

My husband complained when I told him he couldn't carry a wallet in Barcelona that he felt "nekkid" without his wallet in his back pocket. I work in a thrift shop doing charity work and we get a great amount of junk unsuitable for resale. Soiled canvas wallets are no exception. So I procured a couple, we put in dummy credit cards, some sheets of paper cut the size of bills, and one penny along with a note "Gotcha Thief."

He put it in his back pocket, buttoned it, and walked around Barcelona, up and down Las Ramblas, and no one stole it. He was soooooo disappointed.

I, also, carry a dummy wallet full of worthless stuff and "bathroom" money (coins to give the lady handing out tp as you go in) which I put in the front pocket of my slacks. I figure if we get mugged, we throw those wallets as far as we can in one direction and run in the other. However, I have heard in Barcelona they are not violent.

Our real money is in one of those hidden pockets inside husband's pants and in a neck bag that I have tied to my bra strap and hangs down my side below my waist which has a belt. Needless to say, we only take what we need for that day, the rest is in the safe.

I read somewhere that people at Hotel Majestic had stuff stolen from their hotel safe.

Tucker in Texas

Archived