Warning: Pick pocketing in barcelona

gmabcd

So don't try to blend in - keep yourself aware, be smart and do you homework before you go.

I am sorry, but I have to partly disagree with this statement. Yes, one can not totally truly blend in; however, one must truly try not to stand out either, which means one must at least try to blend in.

If I were a pickpocket scanning an area, I would go for the easiest target, and the easiest target would likely be the person that stands out the most. You can help minimize your risk of being a target by trying not to stand out (i.e. by trying to blend in). And one of the ways one blends in is being understated - not just in the way one dresses, but also in one's behaviour (e.g. don't have a docile look, don't be too loud, don't look like you do not know what you are doing, don't open your map in the middle of a square, leave the bling at home, etc)

ok I went right here and this is what I saw on this purse, does anyone think this is ok? Man I am worried now, but I am going to take my big

Umbrella and they better try nothing!

That's a nice bag, the last thing I'd do anywhere is to wear it out back and invite the theft. Maybe it'll stop a knife, maybe the zippers are clipped, but what if some foolish theif is riding a bike and wants to grab the bag and take you with it :eek: ?

My simply rule, carry minimal stuff. If I got a bag all its got are clothes, water bottle or other non-essentials.

My 2000 dollar camera, it hangs around my neck and weighs ~3 lbs so it won't disappear without me knowing. When shopping I always have my hand/arm around it. We ( 11 of us ) walked Las Ramblas twice during afternoon and evening when it was packed. We totally stood out as tourists, but never had any issues. We are likely the majority but like all stories people focus on the worst stories YMMV. Of course them stories are why we all need to be smart and careful.

If someone really wants something I'm carrying, well they can have it. I'm not going to wrestle some theif. Generally the valuable stuff passport isn't with me anyway. Money/CC, the say in a front zippered pocket, or if I'm carry a ton of additional cash/passports, they are in a body belt.

Enjoy Barcelona

I am sorry, but I have to partly disagree with this statement. Yes, one can not totally truly blend in; however, one must truly try not to stand out either, which means one must at least try to blend in.

If I were a pickpocket scanning an area, I would go for the easiest target, and the easiest target would likely be the person that stands out the most. You can help minimize your risk of being a target by trying not to stand out (i.e. by trying to blend in). And one of the ways one blends in is being understated - not just in the way one dresses, but also in one's behaviour (e.g. don't have a docile look, don't be too loud, don't look like you do not know what you are doing, don't open your map in the middle of a square, leave the bling at home, etc)

That is not what I meant about trying not to blend in - it just seems that there are too many people that want to "dress European," so that they don't look like "tourists," but ignore safety issues that won't make them a target. If you are lost, better to take out your map in public, than miss your train back to port. And yes, when I saw the Eiffle Tower for the first time, I didn't go bonkers, but I would hope that the sight moved me. What I meant was: spend less time on trying not to look like a tourist (or a caricature of one) and more time on preparing yourself BEFORE you leave the ship. Everyone knows that any house can be

burglarized, the trick to to make your house less attractive so that they pick on someone else - and we don't want any of those people to be the great folks on CC;)

We have travelled all over the world but have not seen such a vast warning of pickpockets in Barcelona. In deed must be an artform. I plan to carry minimal cash and wear a money belt for our upcoming Gem trip. Thanks OP for keeping the warning alive!

Pickpockets/purse snatchers are not just a problem in Barcelona, but also a problem throughout all the major tourist cites/areas of Western Europe. However, it really is not a big deal if folks just take a few simple "common sense" precautions. Forget trying not to look like a tourist because most tourists stick-out like a sore thumb despite attempts to blend in with the locals. Its your shoes, clothes, the way you walk, and your lack of language skills that are quick give-aways. But, being a tourist (or not) is not an issue if you just take precautions and be aware of your surroundings. We have traveled extensively throughout Europe for over 30 years and never lost anything.

Hank

I think it's important to keep pick pocketing in perspective. Although it's dreadful for the people it happens to, there are thousands and thousands of tourists who it never happens to. We've just been to Barcelona and it's no different to any other city in Europe including London - keep a tight hold of your zipped up bag, don't get caught in tight crowds and be aware of people around you. We've travelled with young family for years in European cities and never had any trouble. Of course it happens but you shouldn't stop going places because of it because you miss out on seeing some wonderful things and amazing experiences.

Totally agree. I just came back from Barcelona( and Rome, the two cities you are most likely to get pocket-picked). I was fine and I did not see anybody got picked in front of me. But the family we shared taxi with did see the whole thing happening to some tourists there. You just have to be careful.

I always carry my old leather Coach over-the-shoulder bag when I travel to the cities that are not safe. Its thick leather plus big flap makes it a hard target. or you can use the moneybelt from Rick Steves for credit cards and large bills and leave only small bills in your front pocket.

We cruised the eastern med last year. After reading CC I bought a pacsafe purse which I wore cross-body and kept my hand on most of the time. Also bought a pacsafe slashproof cord for the camera which I generally kept in the purse. (I know you are supposed to leave valuables on the ship but hard to take pictures when the camera is on the ship:)) However, I am more concerned this year because we are starting in Barcelona and going to Naples and Rome. DH did a lot of research on taking public transportation from the airport to the hotel and hotel to port but after reading about PP in Barcelona I told him that there is no way I am walking through the streets hauling luggage. We need to just take cabs.

Curious to know those that did experience PP, what were the circumstances. Did they take your purse off your shoulder? Did they take a wallet from your back pocket. Did they take something out of your hand? I know they could wrestle the pacsafe purse away from me, etc. but assume they are more subtle than that.

We will be staying in Barcelona (pre-cruise) for two nights. If we can make it from the airport to the hotel without being robbed, what is our best option for storing valuables? We have never had a problem with in room safes. Have any of you? I suppose the hotel safe would be more secure, but it also raises security questions. Maybe the best bet is for each of us to wear our Rick Steves neck pouches and money belts, and stuff them with all our money, tickets, tour vouchers, and jewelery. We can each carry a 5 Euro note safety- pinned to the inside of a sock. I'm getting carried away, my question is "How secure do you feel about in room safes and Hotel safes or lock boxes?" Thank you...

If you have a travel bag with zippered pockets, use a safety pin to lock the zipper in a closed position.

This is the travel bag I use. I don't like it for every day use because it has 4 zippered pockets. But those zippered pockets are exactly what I want when I travel. :) I lock the inside zippers with a safety pin but I leave the outside one unpinned for small change, etc. :p

Safe journeys!

http://www.ebags.com/travelon/shoulder_bag_messenger_style/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=80446

We will be staying in Barcelona (pre-cruise) for two nights. If we can make it from the airport to the hotel without being robbed, what is our best option for storing valuables? We have never had a problem with in room safes. Have any of you? I suppose the hotel safe would be more secure, but it also raises security questions. Maybe the best bet is for each of us to wear our Rick Steves neck pouches and money belts, and stuff them with all our money, tickets, tour vouchers, and jewelery. We can each carry a 5 Euro note safety- pinned to the inside of a sock. I'm getting carried away, my question is "How secure do you feel about in room safes and Hotel safes or lock boxes?" Thank you...

I guess it would be how well-run is the hotel you are staying in. I know at the hotel we stayed at, Hotel Montecarlo, they did not allow you to leave the premises with the room key.:eek: They had you leave it at the desk and pick it up when you returned. One morning, we wanted to run across the street for coffee and the desk attendant told us that "it is best" if we leave the key with him. We felt very safe in this hotel, and the safe was the same sort as on the cruise ship. I want to add that the pickpockets are invisible. They blend in to look like tourists or students, etc. You will never feel threatened. I should add that a couple on our cruise were robbed by two guys posing as cops, saying that they have to search their backpacket for coccaine, and they were robbed $300. This happened four weeks ago. You can read about it on the Voyager of the Sea roll call July 12 sailing. The poor couple were so upset.

However, I am more concerned this year because we are starting in Barcelona and going to Naples and Rome. DH did a lot of research on taking public transportation from the airport to the hotel and hotel to port but after reading about PP in Barcelona I told him that there is no way I am walking through the streets hauling luggage. We need to just take cabs.

Curious to know those that did experience PP, what were the circumstances. Did they take your purse off your shoulder? Did they take a wallet from your back pocket. Did they take something out of your hand? I know they could wrestle the pacsafe purse away from me, etc. but assume they are more subtle than that.

I was not personally pick-pocketed, but the woman who "latched on" to us in Naples was. Long story short, she was on the ship with us, she heard me speaking in my broken Italian to someone at the tourist info kiosk, and asked us if she and her husband could walk with us from the pier to the train station. Honestly, and I am not saying this to be mean, but we really wished that we had not said yes, but at the time, I did not want to be mean so I could not say no in spite of my gut feeling that they would just call attention to themselves, and by extension, to us. And I was right. They stood out like tourists because of the way they were dressed, the way they dawdled, the way they insisted on taking out their map in the middle of the street while my husband and I were trying to just discreetly look at our tiny map, etc.

Anyway, we finally got to the train station and my husband and I went straight to the ticket booth to purchase our tickets. They, on the other hand, decided to stand around and just look around. Then some guy approached them talking to them in Italian with the words "pompeii? Pompeii?" in between sentences while pointing at the board for the train schedules. Next thing you know, she saw her belt bag open, he was gone, and they were out EUR100. Her money was in her belt bag (or "fanny" pack - Brits, don't laugh!:p). I think she was targetted because they were not paying any attention to their surroundings PLUS she really stood out - lots of bling and the LV or Gucci or some kind of fancy-schmancy fanny pack was also a dead give-away.

I may be overly cautious or not too trusting, but I am always leery of attention from strangers especially when they are invading my space so I always keep a tight hold of my purse and just try to ignore them as much as I can.

- I would advise against bringing your jewellery with you on your trip. Period. Do not bring anything with you that you would mind losing. And this comment does not just apply to Barcelona either. This is just something I do whenever I travel anywhere.

- As for carrying your $, tickets, vouchers, and jewellery with you, do you mind me asking why you would want to do this? I personally would feel so paranoid walking with all these - what if I lose them? What if I leave them somewhere and forget? What if I get mugged? What if the strap on the pouch comes off and I do not even realize it had fallen off until it was too late? I could potentially lose them all. If you have a safe in the room, I would leave your valuables there and just carry a small amount of cash with you and a credit card with a low credit limit. If you are still concerned about security, ask the front desk if they have a safety deposit box (some hotels have this in addition to the safe). I've always used either the room safe or a safety deposit box, and have felt secure with it - more secure than having to carry all those valuables around with me, that's for sure!

The original poster has not yet responded to the question as to how the incident happened, but it probably doesn't matter as there are numerous ways it can happen. We were fine in Barcelona, but heard of stories throughout the cruise of different problems at different places. There are millions of tourists annually at some of these major cities, but only a certain number of pickpockets...they can't get to everyone. I saw lots of potential targets who experience no problems at all, not because they're alert, but because they escaped the odds. One thing I noticed is that everyone, almost, is a tourist in the tourist areas. Lots of foreign tourists, and we all look alike in some way. The shorts, backpacks, athletic shoes, cameras, and most weren't speaking English.

The only incident we had that could have been a problem was in Istanbul, in the area outside the Hagia Sophia. A man was on a cell hone in a prominent picture taking area, and my husband noted than when we moved, he moved, & when we stopped, he stopped. His wife, in a dress and dark glasses, asked if we wanted our picture taken. So we walked along, my dh mentioning to keep going. We stopped around a corner, and lo & behold, the man talking in Turkish with the phone to his ear, stopped! So my dh said something about them following us & as they walked further, the woman turned back to look at us. My dh took the camera to take a photo & she tried to hide her face. Then she talked to her husband and they both turned & started walking back toward us. I felt like walking away, but dh, not intimidated, just took a photo as they were approaching! They insisted they were not following us, so my dh said they should just go, & that he took their photo anyway. (The man had an N. Carolina shirt on, sayiing that he was American.) After dh chased them off, another man came up to us! He said he knew the other man & that he wasn't following us. Aha, so there was a third person to help them! These people were nicely dressed, mid-thirties, and the cellphone trick seems good. Pretending to talk to someone while on the phone does not raise as much suspicion. Glad dh noticed them. -( I can't find the picture he took, though...weird).

For me it was a stealth attack. They managed to lift my wallet out of my (zipped) shoulder bag, and I never felt a thing. Most all day I had my arm firmly across the bag, but for a few minutes I was less careful (while eating gelato and walking to the Picasso museum), and that's when they struck.

My ex-Husband was "swarmed" by gypsies in Rome, they had virtually cut the strap of his waist-pack before he could get away from them. (Luckily he is a fairly large and not easily intimidated New Yorker...)

My BIL was also "swarmed" by gypsies on the train from Naples to Pompeii. He was prepared for them, though, and they got nothing.

From most of the stories I've read, I think the "subtle" approach is more likely in Barcelona. There are numerous descriptions on the Internet, if you search, that describe some of the most common tricks -- such as bumping into you, spilling something on you and offering to help clean it up, etc.

Fortunately the pacsafe bags can't be cut and have a clasp to keep them from easily opening the zipper. Note to self not to walk around eating.

Seems like things are a lot worse in the western med than the eastern med where we went last year (mainly Greece).

Of course it's not like I bring "valuables" with me when I travel. The only jewelry I generally wear even at home is wedding ring and engagement ring (1/3 carat) and cheap earrings. However, need to bring money, credit cards, camera, and phone. Leave some money and cc on the ship but since our cruise starts in Barcelona will have all of our luggage with us there.

I am going on a cruise next May that begins in Barcelona and plan to spend a few days beforehand. There have been many threads on here addressing this issue. I think doing some planning ahead of time will be a deterrent to pickpockets (PacSafe slashproof purse) and will wear it crossbody. I also have a trifold wallet that came with a long chain that attaches inside the purse. I think it comes down to common street smarts - only go out with the minimum of cash you think you may need and be very aware of your surroundings. I intend to keep the majority of money in safes either in the motel or on the ship while out and about, I think one can safely minimize the chance of being a target and if not, at least they've not gotten everything you own allowing it to ruin your trip.

Thank you so much for the PacSafe idea! My boyfriend has really been considering backing out of the cruise between swine flu and the pickpocketing problem! I ordered him a waist pack and me a purse through this site, and he's now a happy camper!

I have been to BCN multiple times and have never been pickpocketed, thank goodness. However, I NEVER carry a purse of any kind anywhere in Europe. I have a small satin pouch that clips on to my bra straps and I carry one credit card and enough euros for the day--that's it. We sometimes carry a backpack but it only has water, umbrellas, jackets, chapstick, kleenex, etc. Our hands are free and empty. We are very aware of anyone getting too close and we are on alert while walking or riding the metro--we only used public transportation. It is a beautiful city and it's too bad that it's getting such a bad rap--don't miss it, just travel as smart as you possibly can.

Cathy

Just a warning to those planning to use an over the body bag/purse. In Rome a few years ago while waiting on a corner to cross the street a motorcyclist grabbed the strap of my bag. Unfortunately for him and for me he didn't get it over my head. I ended up in the road being dragged along behind his m/cycle until he gave up and let go. It must have been a strong strap. I say unfortunately as I ended up with a fractured bone in my pelvis - at least it was the last evening of our lovely holiday. The small bag only had a small amount of money, glasses case, lipstick, nothing valuable so he was welcome to it but the instinct is to hang on. The upshot of this is that I try not to carry a purse/bag whenever possible, relying on safe pockets but it is easy to be complacent. These incidents happen so quickly and come out of the blue. We will be in Barcelona in a few months so I will be on my guard. Until it happens to you you don't realise how easily things can happen. Be sensible and be aware of your surroundings.

This has been said before ... but the bottom line is be careful and then don't worry!! Most women (and some men) want to carry a lot of things they really don't really need when walking the streets of Europe. Just be a minimalist with only the things you'll need in a PacSafe type bag or tucked securely into "hidden" spaces. As a guy I carry cash, credit card, drivers license, insurance card and ship card in a small wallet that attached to my belt loop and tucks into my pants. I buy shirts from travel outfitters with the "secret" zippered pocket behind the obvious pocket. I conveniently carry a little "Rick Steves" change purse in there with small amounts of cash and coin So, there's nothing (except maybe a map) in the pockets of my pants. You'll be secure and have a great time.

I think these threads scare people out of experiencing the magnificence of Europe ... and that's too bad. Just be smart and aware and you won't have any problems ... and you'll have a great time!!!!

The original poster has not yet responded to the question as to how the incident happened, but it probably doesn't matter as there are numerous ways it can happen. We were fine in Barcelona, but heard of stories throughout the cruise of different problems at different places. There are millions of tourists annually at some of these major cities, but only a certain number of pickpockets...they can't get to everyone. I saw lots of potential targets who experience no problems at all, not because they're alert, but because they escaped the odds. One thing I noticed is that everyone, almost, is a tourist in the tourist areas. Lots of foreign tourists, and we all look alike in some way. The shorts, backpacks, athletic shoes, cameras, and most weren't speaking English.

The only incident we had that could have been a problem was in Istanbul, in the area outside the Hagia Sophia. A man was on a cell hone in a prominent picture taking area, and my husband noted than when we moved, he moved, & when we stopped, he stopped. His wife, in a dress and dark glasses, asked if we wanted our picture taken. So we walked along, my dh mentioning to keep going. We stopped around a corner, and lo & behold, the man talking in Turkish with the phone to his ear, stopped! So my dh said something about them following us & as they walked further, the woman turned back to look at us. My dh took the camera to take a photo & she tried to hide her face. Then she talked to her husband and they both turned & started walking back toward us. I felt like walking away, but dh, not intimidated, just took a photo as they were approaching! They insisted they were not following us, so my dh said they should just go, & that he took their photo anyway. (The man had an N. Carolina shirt on, sayiing that he was American.) After dh chased them off, another man came up to us! He said he knew the other man & that he wasn't following us. Aha, so there was a third person to help them! These people were nicely dressed, mid-thirties, and the cellphone trick seems good. Pretending to talk to someone while on the phone does not raise as much suspicion. Glad dh noticed them. -( I can't find the picture he took, though...weird).

I was the original poster. I was on the Metro with my family (We are from NYC and travel on the subways all the time!). An innocent teenager rubbed up against my husband who was protecting our teenage daughter and she unbottoned my husbands pockets in his shorts without him even knowing that it happened until the next subway stop and they quickly exited and that's when he felt it was gone. She was with a older gypsy looking weird woman.

I was the original poster. I was on the Metro with my family (We are from NYC and travel on the subways all the time!). An innocent teenager rubbed up against my husband who was protecting our teenage daughter and she unbottoned my husbands pockets in his shorts without him even knowing that it happened until the next subway stop and they quickly exited and that's when he felt it was gone. She was with a older gypsy looking weird woman.

OMGosh, how awful. Yes, it would make me very angry, also, & I don't blame you for your feelings about the city, as that's where it happened. It's like when people have their home robbed, they feel uncomfortable from then on, and don't like staying there. Well, perhaps you can help others learn about this problem. No one is immune from this kind of thing, and although we had no problems there, it does seem that Barcelona & the bigger cities of Western Europe most frequented by tourists are hangouts for these thieves. Too bad. How about writing a letter to the Barcelona government? I know it's one voice, but you represent more than just one person, as many more people who never post here are afraid to go to some of these cities. You don't know that it won't be read and it may be the catalyst for change. Perhaps if the government suspected it could harm the tourist industry, they might take some action to prevent this.

It's never a problem unless it happens to you! Hindsight is always 20/20.

lost in translation "We cruised the eastern med last year. After reading CC I bought a pacsafe purse which I wore cross-body and kept my hand on most of the time. Also bought a pacsafe slashproof cord for the camera which I generally kept in the purse. (I know you are supposed to leave valuables on the ship but hard to take pictures when the camera is on the ship:)) However, I am more concerned this year because we are starting in Barcelona and going to Naples and Rome. DH did a lot of research on taking public transportation from the airport to the hotel and hotel to port but after reading about PP in Barcelona I told him that there is no way I am walking through the streets hauling luggage. We need to just take cabs."

My thoughts exactly.

Can I ask those of you who have been to Barcelona, how are we Americans to dress so as not to stand out? Our normal attire would be jeans, sneakers, jackets and DH probably in a baseball cap. Won't have any bling on.

Archived