Warning: Pick pocketing in barcelona

gmabcd

I've followed this discussion closely & believe there have been many excellent suggestions. While it’s helpful to know that there are products available to assist travelers in thwarting thieves, it’s also important to maintain a realistic perspective on the value of these products. No amount of Pac-safe gear or personal safety devices, no matter how strongly reinforced, can replace common sense, appropriate behavior & awareness of your surroundings. I’m not suggesting it’s a case of either-or here. It’s not. Purchasing such products can be used to complement a street-savvy approach. They shouldn't be the main focus. That could create an artificial sense of security for those with the products, as well as an unnecessary sense of insecurity for those reading here who choose not to purchase the products.

With that sort of thinking, I guess we should just leave all our cars and houses unlocked too because if the thief wants to break in, they will?? I'm just sharing additional things I find online that may deter thieves.

Obviously, nothing is full proof. If someone wants to steal the stuff in a money belt, they can pin a person down and cut it off too...especially after they saw where the money belt is because he unbuttoned his shirt in front of the whole store to reach into his pants to pay for something. :rolleyes:

I appreciate your sharing, but taking a portable safe to Europe to avoid the minute incidence of thieves breaking into room safes is just a bit much IMO. And there is no comparison with leaving your home doors unlocked.

Your second example of pinning a person down to cut off his/her moneybelt also is a bad one IMO. Pickpockets are not interested in physical confrontation; they simply will look for an easier mark, such as the man with the zippered fanny pack or the lady with the pocketbook.

Okay, what if you wear two sets of clothing. Put your valuables in the pockets of the inner clothing and rattle snakes in the pockets of the outer clothing. Hopefully if they take your rattle snake, you'll be able to find it by the rattling.

• 2 weeks later...

My husband carried a neck pouch under his shirt with all his valuables. I carried an across the chest strap bag for my things. One afternoon he felt a pull in his rear pocket where he had a folded map. He figures it was a thief thinking it was a wallet.

As in all large cities, being smart and aware is the way to travel.

My husband carried a neck pouch under his shirt with all his valuables. I carried an across the chest strap bag for my things. One afternoon he felt a pull in his rear pocket where he had a folded map. He figures it was a thief thinking it was a wallet.

As in all large cities, being smart and aware is the way to travel.

We were walking through the Barri Gotic a few weeks back when our friend looked down and saw a hand from around her back trying to open the zipper on her across the chest bag. Her arm was througth the strap and the strap was around her neck. The bag lay flat on her stomach. She let out a scream and the guy took off. After that our friend and my DW wore light jackets that they kept zippered over their bags. These guys are very bold. They don't care if they get noticed. They just run and try someone else.

On BBC news bulletin this morning, Barcelona was named as the worst city in the World for Pickpockets, so its not to be ignored.

There are pickpockets in every large city in the world. This had been discussed in many threads. The latest one is still on the front page of this forum:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1034961

I hate these news "stories". I am always interested in how they came up with their findings.

are the hotels safe? do they have safes? are the hotel staff trustworthy when you leave your room for the day?

Too vague to answer. What hotel? If you are wondering about a specific hotel, I suggest you contact them directly, look them up on their webpage or check out reviews on tripadvisor.com.

Anything of real value should go in the hotel's safe, not the one in your room. And of course, you shouldn't leave anything out in your room. If you are worried, leave the expensive items at home.

We were walking through the Barri Gotic a few weeks back when our friend looked down and saw a hand from around her back trying to open the zipper on her across the chest bag. Her arm was througth the strap and the strap was around her neck. The bag lay flat on her stomach. She let out a scream and the guy took off. After that our friend and my DW wore light jackets that they kept zippered over their bags. These guys are very bold. They don't care if they get noticed. They just run and try someone else.

Hmmmm.... I think if a hand came over my back, it would have left with a good set of my teeth imprints!!!!:D

And break the skin & have their blood in contact with you......no way. Now a swift elbow would be well deserved.

Actually the hand came from around her waist, not over her back. Chances are you would have never noticed the hand. They are trained from birth at the art. The trade is past down from father/mother to son/daughter. These pickpockets are generally non-violent. We were happy that the guy took off. We weren’t interested in starting a violent confrontation in a foreign country.

are the hotels safe? do they have safes? are the hotel staff trustworthy when you leave your room for the day?

Just returned from Barcelona. Stayed in two different hotels and had no problems whatsoever with hotel staff in terms of security... Hotels have safes in every room. In one hotel I did notice that everywhere around the lobby there were small signs reminding people be careful with their belongings. Maybe because tourists are so easy to detect that pickpockets don't hesitate to go at them.

My recommendation: try to leave the "tourist" sign at home.

I had a great time in Barcelona and never felt threatened by pickpockets.

My husband wears a "secret pocket" which is a zip pouch big enough to hold a passport and wallet. It has a loop that fits over his belt and then the pocket goes inside his pants. He is pretty good at getting it out, if necessary, without having to drop trou.

I wear a neck bag but tie it to my bra strap and let it hang down my side and long enough so it is past my waist so my belt is tight around the strings and the bag is on my hip. Sometimes it pays to be "hippy" (lol).

I have a "throw down" wallet, one of those canvas ones you get at the dollar store (as does husband) that we carry (he in a zip pocket, me in a cheap thrift store purse that goes across my chest) that has a small amount of money, pictures people have sent us at Christmas of their grandkids, those "your name here" plastic credit cards you get with credit card or other solicitations in the mail. Looks good but is essentially worthless. If we get mugged, we figure we will throw the wallet as far as we can away from us and run the other direction. So far, that has not

been necessary.

One thing you have to really watch for is when you leave the hotel to catch a cab for the port. You are usually distracted loading your luggage in the cab and have multiple pieces to keep track of. Thieves have been known to ride by on a bike or motorcycle and scoop one up or grab a tote bag. Husband takes one or two suitcases at a time from the lobby, watches the driver load it, then comes back for more which I am guarding along with tote bags, carry-on's, etc.

Tucker in Texas

Barcelona is a great city. Walked all over, took bus, metro, walked back to hotel very late at night. People don't eat dinner until at least 9pm. I carried a purse across my body. Used the hotel safe, used ATM machine at bank outside across from our hotel. Never had a problem. Of course I look and act like an American! But I can't tell you the number of tourists I saw walking LaRambla, setting at outdoor cafes, with huge purses, hangin over the backs of their chairs, etc... Just be organized, take very little cash or one credit card whith you when you go out. But most important ,enjoy yourself. Everyone I met in Barcelona were very helpful and friendly.

One waiter did tell the women to set on chairs facing the sidwalk and keep our purses on our laps or body, because there are pickpockets in the area. The men sat with their back to side walk. We had a great tapas meal that night.

I also had the same experience in Italy ... Rome and Florence to be exact. It can definitely put a major damper on your trip. These people are so good at what they do you'll never know you've been hit until you go to buy something. The best thing is to keep all money and cards in a inside pocket of your coat. Carrying a shoulder bag, zip entry purse is the worst. .. they love to see you coming.

My concern is we are going to have our 2 DD's with us which means we are constantly looking out for them. One has poor eyesight even corrected so we have to watch her very closely. She does not pay attention and has wandered away at Disney World and the State Fair. I am going to look like a total distracted "rob me now" person.

I am nervous as I know that I cannot "be aware of my surroundings" all the time.

I saw a Pac Safe thing that goes through your clothes and is hidden in front of your stomach. I might have to go for something like that since my hands will be on the girls and not necessarily protecting their stuff.

Do you think my 13 year old would have a problem wearing one of those toddler leashes?. :D

My concern is we are going to have our 2 DD's with us which means we are constantly looking out for them. One has poor eyesight even corrected so we have to watch her very closely. She does not pay attention and has wandered away at Disney World and the State Fair. I am going to look like a total distracted "rob me now" person.

I am nervous as I know that I cannot "be aware of my surroundings" all the time.

I saw a Pac Safe thing that goes through your clothes and is hidden in front of your stomach. I might have to go for something like that since my hands will be on the girls and not necessarily protecting their stuff.

Do you think my 13 year old would have a problem wearing one of those toddler leashes?. :D

By all means, you must do what you feel comfortable with. That may be the best answer for you. No one knows your situation but you. First talk to DH & then to DD about it and ask them. Trust that your husband will have wisdom. If you want an honest answer, DD will give you one. Together you can come up with something. Some others who see you may have a problem, but it's none of their business, and nothing should stop you from feeling safe and free to enjoy yourselves. This is a wonderful opportunity for all your family! And really, it's not as bad as all that. As another poster said, you can find distracted people everywhere... but there's only a limited number of pickpockets! :D How old is the other DD? Is she more focused? If it's only the one, then all 3 of you can be aware. Get covered in prayer before you go;) And start each day that way. I am thankful that we had no problems.:)

By all means, you must do what you feel comfortable with. That may be the best answer for you. No one knows your situation but you. First talk to DH & then to DD about it and ask them. Trust that your husband will have wisdom. If you want an honest answer, DD will give you one. Together you can come up with something. Some others who see you may have a problem, but it's none of their business, and nothing should stop you from feeling safe and free to enjoy yourselves. This is a wonderful opportunity for all your family! And really, it's not as bad as all that. As another poster said, you can find distracted people everywhere... but there's only a limited number of pickpockets! :D How old is the other DD? Is she more focused? If it's only the one, then all 3 of you can be aware. Get covered in prayer before you go;) And start each day that way. I am thankful that we had no problems.:)

A reasonable answer. Now I've got a list of about 50 more threads I would like you to post on.

Might want to consider something like this.

http://www.desertshieldpersonalsafety.com/servlet/the-207/Child-Safety-Electronic-Leash/Detail

It beeps when the person gets a pre-set distance from you. I think a 13 yr old would be OK wearing it as it is for their safety. You might want have a physical leash (wrist to wrist) connection on hand for really crowded situations that you could just put on for a short while if needed. Do a search on child electronic leash. There are different types. Some worn around the neck, some around the wrist. I like the ones that also have the panic button that the child can hit if they are lost or someone is trying to take them.

Best,

Michelle

Hi,:) I am going to Barcelona next Sept and have read this thread

and a few others about the topic. (my first time visiting there)

I travel solo and have a Kipling crossbody bag I was going to use~

it zips all the way around and has a flap as well (over the zipper).

Maybe I am missing something:confused: but in order for someone to get

inside my bag they would have to take it off my body. If a Pacsafe

style is better I will buy one of those, but my Kipling bag is lighweight

and I love it:D

I have read about the poor experiences and those folks who will

never go back to Barcelona again. I also read the folks who

loved their stay and I hoping to be in that group:):D:)

Hi,:) I am going to Barcelona next Sept and have read this thread

and a few others about the topic. (my first time visiting there)

I travel solo and have a Kipling crossbody bag I was going to use~

it zips all the way around and has a flap as well (over the zipper).

Maybe I am missing something:confused: but in order for someone to get

inside my bag they would have to take it off my body. If a Pacsafe

style is better I will buy one of those, but my Kipling bag is lighweight

and I love it:D

I have read about the poor experiences and those folks who will

never go back to Barcelona again. I also read the folks who

loved their stay and I hoping to be in that group:):D:)

You are going to love Barcelona. The thing with the pick pockets in Barcelona is that they are professionals. Meaning that they come from all over Europe to pickpocket there. So, most likely, they are capable of unzipping your bag. They use diversions. Forget the Pacsafe, and use one of the suggestions that keep your money in your underclothes. jmo

Archived