Beware: 5 Star Cruise - 1 Star Flights

nigelc

First time poster - very excited to be going on my first ever luxury cruise soon - have only been on a handful of cruises to date and am super amped. Have been reading lots of the posts to get some tips and just continue to get me excited for the trip... and then I came upon this one and after reading it just have to say it makes me sad. #firstworldproblemsarereal

I felt compelled to respond because of the negativity and means of trying to sway people from using Regent around something which in the big scheme of things will likely represent about 2% of a total cruise experience - it is jarring. To see other posters being scared off by this as if it is some huge dastardly deal is disconcerting - as everyone has pointed out there are ways to get the flights you want with deviation so you aren't a hostage to situation and I'm pretty sure what Regent hangs their hat on on the actual cruise part of the trip - not the flights. Also if you don't like the flights being included you aren't forced to book Regent as your cruise line either. If you booked on an assumption you'd get what you want flight wise when it is clearly a deal breaker that isn't on Regent.

The fact you don't have control over the flights from the get go should be an indication if you want something specific you should take the steps (deviation) to get what you want even at a slight cost - the reason they have this is they know folks have very specific flight needs/wants and they are giving a means to accommodate it outside of what they have available to offer based on deals they have in place.

I just don't think it is fair to be bashing them and trying to scare people off when you haven't even been on the cruise yet because your upset about something you have the actual means to change if you like - and overall it is a pretty small gripe.

I'm one of the 95% and my return flight has a stop over and my group didn't even blink when we saw it! We are just ecstatic to be going on what will surely be an amazing trip and don't sweat the small stuff.

Not trying to scare people off - just presenting the facts. Indeed, if you read my first post I rate Regent very highly and completely enjoyed my last cruise with them. Indeed, I would not have booked another if I was not totally happy. However, as I keep saying, its all about choice. Some people may be happy (or have too, given where they are flying to/from) to sit in an airport for hours waiting for their second flight of the day. I am not, especially when there are plenty of seats available from Regents preferred airline partner. Indeed, I was not looking for a specific flight or Airline, just a flight that did not have me sitting in an airport for an extra 5hrs.

As I have said, I have just provided the facts as they have happened to me, both the good and the bad. I have not come on CC and left a post "slating" Regent and then disappeared - I have posted from the start to the end of the issue, including the fact that Regent have listened to my complaint and reacted in a positive way. I am sorry that it has made you "sad", but facts are facts and it has not made me very happy to spend so much time trying to fix the issue.

In relation to not being a "hostage" of Regents, well they were not offering to give me my deposit back. I booked Regent because of my past experience with them, together with what is stated and/or implied in their advertising. Indeed, they actively try to get you to book early, often well over a year in advance with no flight information available. Would I do it again, not a chance.

In relation to Regent just hanging its hat on the cruise part of the trip. As has already been stated, not in the UK when they sell a package holiday, which includes the flights. What I cannot understand is why so many people are happy to be "nickel and dimed" on their flights - while Regent say in their promotional material that they are "free", clearly we are paying for them in our fares. If enough people complain, I am sure this practice would stop.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your first trip with Regent - once you get on the ship, a world of luxury awaits.

First, a warm welcome to the Regent board!

Apparently the people in the U.K. are looking at things differently than we are. They still have non-stop flights to most places. If I were to make a prediction, this will not be the case in the foreseeable future as the U.S. used to have many more non-stop flights. Actually, it may already be happening since some poster indicated that some non-stop flights are not available on flights within Europe. On the other hand, in order to get to the U.S. there are few places to stop so perhaps that is the reason. I do wonder if they have as many flights to the U.S. as we do to Europe?

I do feel that some posters are a bit overly critical of Regent and accuse every little thing as not being "luxury", however, everyone is entitled to their opinion (which is why my signature contains the words "tolerance and patience......".

While I am not upset that the TS had the fee waived, IMO, posting about it on a public board will likely cause expectations from other passengers that would like to do the same thing. As they say, "no good deed goes unpunished".

Anyway, hope to see you more on the Regent board. Your positivity is nice to see!

Sorry, but again I cannot agree with you. While you may feel that "some posters are a bit overly critical", some readers may feel that Regent can do no wrong in your eyes.

In relation to reporting that Regent waved the fee, I thought long and hard about whether to report it or not. However, on balance I felt that it was not only fair on Regent to show that they listened to my concerns, but also important that readers of this thread had the fully story. While I appreciate the waving of the fee, I do not think it is a good deed - more putting a wrong right.

nigelc, unfortunately, I do feel that you are putting people off of Regent. And, I seem to disagree with just about every point that you made (and you likely disagree with my points which is fine).

Due to the consumer laws that I do not understand in the U.K. many things are done differently. We do not lose our deposit. Rather, we pay $200/person to cancel (outside of the penalty phase) that is credited back to us when we book another cruise. Regent is not trying to hold anyone hostage but the laws in the U.K. may be doing so.

It is rare (if ever) that anyone accused Regent of nickel and diming their customers. It simply is not the case. However, if someone wants to pay extra money for special flights, better excursions, etc., it is up to them.

Perhaps some of the posters on this thread should contact Regent and have a discussion with a supervisor in the Air department and see what they have to say about the issue. The Regent Air department regularly exceeds our expectations. After all, they contract with some top of the line airlines such as Emirates, Cathay Pacific and others. They also contract with airlines that I do not care for (United, Delta, KLM, etc.) which is why we deviate. Other people are fine with the flights. After all, if they were sailing on another luxury cruise line, they would be paying thousands of dollars for their Business Class flight.

In any case, all of us have hopefully learned something from this thread - mainly that airlines/policies/attitudes/expectations differ in various parts of the world. There is no right and wrong in terms of our likes and dislikes. However, blaming everything on Regent is becoming a sad theme.

nigelc, unfortunately, I do feel that you are putting people off of Regent. And, I seem to disagree with just about every point that you made (and you likely disagree with my points which is fine).

Due to the consumer laws that I do not understand in the U.K. many things are done differently. We do not lose our deposit. Rather, we pay $200/person to cancel (outside of the penalty phase) that is credited back to us when we book another cruise. Regent is not trying to hold anyone hostage but the laws in the U.K. may be doing so.

It is rare (if ever) that anyone accused Regent of nickel and diming their customers. It simply is not the case. However, if someone wants to pay extra money for special flights, better excursions, etc., it is up to them.

Perhaps some of the posters on this thread should contact Regent and have a discussion with a supervisor in the Air department and see what they have to say about the issue. The Regent Air department regularly exceeds our expectations. After all, they contract with some top of the line airlines such as Emirates, Cathay Pacific and others. They also contract with airlines that I do not care for (United, Delta, KLM, etc.) which is why we deviate. Other people are fine with the flights. After all, if they were sailing on another luxury cruise line, they would be paying thousands of dollars for their Business Class flight.

In any case, all of us have hopefully learned something from this thread - mainly that airlines/policies/attitudes/expectations differ in various parts of the world. There is no right and wrong in terms of our likes and dislikes. However, blaming everything on Regent is becoming a sad theme.

And I am sorry to say that those with a Regent can never do no wrong view is probably how we got here. Companies often push the limits until their customers pull them back. But I agree, we have all learned from this thread.

Edited by nigelc

What I am not happy to pay for, is something that I feel should be included as standard.

And there's where the trouble comes in - Regent says they'll get you from point A to point B - they never specify non-stop. Apparently some people are okay with a stopover whereas others, well, not so much. Perhaps the marketing material should specify "Additional charges may apply for Business Class or non-stop air."

Surely the type of customer that can afford to sail with Regent is not going to be the type of person who is happy sitting around airports for hours - better to put up their prices by a few £/$100s and give them decent flights as standard.

I don't see how this is any less inflammatory than the previous comment about just paying deviation fees. The argument could be made that fares shouldn't have to be higher for some to accommodate others. This perfectly shows that we all have a similar take on these cruises: They're expensive enough as it is, a few hundred $ or £ isn't gonna break the bank.

However, good news :D... I e-mailed them and have been informed that in this instance the charge for the none-stop flight with BA will be waved. While this is appreciated, I still feel that it should never have been charged. That said, I plan to enjoy the holiday and not let this issue spoil it.

Nigel - I'm very glad to hear this, and I agree with you 100% that these kinds of things should never be an issue. I posted earlier that all of my issues with Regent in the past have been resolved, but they never should have taken the time and effort to fix - it should have been taken care of before it ever became an issue. Either way, glad you got your desired flights.

Can I thank all those who have posted and/or read the thread. I have learnt a lot - thank you all.

I think we've all learned a lot - I know I have a better understanding of the pros and cons of booking Regent in the UK, although being a Yank, it's more of a conversation piece than anything practical.... :D

Nigelc pleased to hear your news and that things have been put right re the flights

I don't feel that you have been putting anyone off Regent. This thread has highlighted the issues that can and do happen here in the U.K re travel arrangements that are made by Regent when we book an all inclusive fly/cruise holiday.

There is only a small proportion of guests who know about cruise critic let alone post on the boards.

Therefore all of us here are only reading hearing a snap shot of people's expectations and actual experiences.

Cruise critic by name allows us all to write the good and not so good, and that in the long run I feel is helpful.

Now you can concentrate on looking forward to your cruise. Jean.

OK, I'll hold my hand up to being one of those that are a little upset with the changes to the flights to and from the USA.

NO it isn't a deal breaker, and if it means over doubling our travel times, we will deal with it, BUT the issue is there are non stop/direct [with layovers on route home] available that are cheaper, but Regent appear to be routing us out of the way, even in the wrong direction and then wanting extra money to deviate to the cheaper more direct flight.

I don't know where you live, but it is like someone living in Salt Lake City, being routed via Newark, with a 6 hour layover in Newark to get to LA.

Yes, it might take the shine off travelling. Yes we may need those first 5 sea days to get over travelling. Yes it may impact on returning to work, BUT it won't stop us enjoying every minute of or trip and hopefully it will be a fantastic cruise with great fellow cruisers :D

Having lived in central Colorado, I can definitely relate to this - our gateway city was Denver and we rarely, if ever, got a non-stop flight to pretty much anywhere. And even when we were paying to upgrade to Business Class, we often got stuck in coach for the domesting leg, which could be as much as 3.5-4 hours. No fun. That's probably one of the main reasons we've never ventured down to Aus/NZ yet - still being in the active workforce, we just don't have the time to add that much flying time.

And on that note, a hearty welcome and G'Day to aussieb33. Welcome to the always informative, often contentious, and sometimes even entertaining Regent board. :-)

And I am sorry to say that those with a Regent can never do no wrong view is probably how we got here. Companies often push the limits until their customers pull them back. But I agree, we have all learned from this thread.

I am certainly not one that feels that "Regent can never do no wrong". Quite to the contrary, as explained in an earlier post, I take them to task when I feel it is warranted. I just did not feel that it was warranted in this case. If someone wants specific flights (be they non-stop or on a specific airline), there is a nominal fee to pay. The nominal fee is to compensate them for the time and effort it takes to negotiate not only with TA's and passengers but with the airlines.

If someone wants specific flights (be they non-stop or on a specific airline), there is a nominal fee to pay.

So would you describe £400 pp (£800 total) as a "nominal fee"?

That is the extra that Regent want us to pay for a non-stop BA flight from Miami to London instead of a Lufthansa flight with a layover in Frankfurt.

I'm quite perplexed by some of the posts here.

There are four or five non-stop flights every day between Heathrow and Miami. I don't think it's at all unreasonable to expect one of these flights to be offered by Regent.

This wouldn't put me off Regent, I'm glad that this issue has been discussed and I'm now aware of it.

Anyway, Nigelc I'm glad that you got this sorted out in the end.

That is the extra that Regent want us to pay for a non-stop BA flight from Miami to London instead of a Lufthansa flight with a layover in Frankfurt.

Really flossie? That's not good.

It seems that Regent is currently favouring Star Alliance partners. Interesting, as the marketing material they send me, more frequently than I'd like, doesn't convey that.

Assume that is in addition to the 50 lbs/person for the deviation, in the US $175 pp?? Sounds as if Lufthansa is in more trouble financially thus the cheaper fare compared to BA who has really been cutting prices and services. Kind of strange that there would be so much difference unless the Frankfort route has so much less traffic than Heathrow. Would say it was the significant extra London departure tax to the long haul flights but, that doesn't apply to Heathrow inbound??

Very strange and hope they do something for you like they did for the OP.

Compared to some U.S. passengers deviating to a BA flight - yes (and we have paid more than that). When you deviate, you have a choice - some airlines/routes are extremely expensive when Regent does not have a contact. Keep in mind that Regent contracts are based on flights in addition to contracted airlines.

Flying to London with a stopover in Frankfurt is quite common for those of us in the U.S. However, we would not hesitate to pay for a non-stop flight if that is what we wanted. Since we are used to stops in Frankfurt, Munich and Heathrow, this would be a non-issue. The only layover that I would abhor is a layover that require us to be in Terminal 3 at LHR (IMO, the worst terminal that we have ever been subjected to).

rallydave: your post is a bit confusing but the 50 GBP is not in addition to the U.S. $175/person. Also, I'm very sorry to hear that you support Regent doing what they did in the case of the TS's special circumstance. Perhaps, if you sailed on Regent and were faced with this problem (as most of us are) and could not get someone at Regent headquarters to reverse the charge, you would feel differently. You once posted that you haven't sailed on Regent for a few years...., do you have anything booked currently where you are faced to deviation fees, extra charges, etc.? I believe that things have changed drastically in the last few years (not because of Regent but because of the changes that the airlines have made).

Edited by Travelcat2

. Kind of strange that there would be so much difference unless the Frankfort route has so much less traffic than Heathrow. Would say it was the significant extra London departure tax to the long haul flights but, that doesn't apply to Heathrow inbound??

Very strange and hope they do something for you like they did for the OP.

But we would be departing from Heathrow to Frankfurt anyway, so would still be subject to departure tax.

First we learned that $350 is considered to be "a drop in the bucket" and now we find that an additional charge of £800* ($1035) is a "nominal fee" in the Regent world.

IMO the TS/OP and others are not trying to put customers off Regent. They are just presenting facts so that prospective cruisers (particularly those from the UK) are forewarned about the nature of Regent included flights and the potential additional charges that may be levied by Regent for more convenient non-stop flights (Those charges can be significantly more than the nominal deviation fee quoted in the booking Ts&Cs)

It seems bizarre logic to tell the TS/OP that they should not have reported back with the information that Regent did back down from what was an indefensible position. Surely this shows that Regent does listen to its customers' concerns (eventually), which is the mark of a good company.

* Note: This additional charge introduced by Regent amounts to over 8% of the cruise package price that was agreed at time of booking. There is no Deviation Fee involved as we are Platinum SSS members.

Edited by flossie009

Frankly, it's absurd that Regent would do this to you. Reminds me of when they made us do a 2.5 hour layover changing flights at Laguardia to get from Boston to Miami when there were eight or nine three-hour direct flights daily. Six stars? Don't make me laugh.

It also does not seem very environmentally friendly to route us via Frankfurt rather than non-stop direct from Miami to London. An extra 800 miles plus an additional take-off and landing

But of course it is no longer US Government policy to support global environmental controls, so I suppose US based cruise companies no longer worry about their carbon footprint :(

It also does not seem very environmentally friendly to route us via Frankfurt rather than non-stop direct from Miami to London. An extra 800 miles plus an additional take-off and landing

But of course it is no longer US Government policy to support global environmental controls, so I suppose US based cruise companies no longer worry about their carbon footprint :(

That's a bit of a stretch - those planes are flying anyhow, it doesn't really matter who's in them. If your carbon footprint was that important, shouldn't you holiday in your back yard rather than flying in a wide body jet to a huge oil-burning ship? :rolleyes:

Over 140 posts on an odd flight routing and I don't believe anyone has asked the question: If a non-stop flight is that important, why don't you just take the air credit and book your flights directly?

Is this an issue with other luxury cruise lines? Oh, wait, the others don't include air, do they? Or did Crystal start including air? I don't know. If they do, are they guaranteeing non-stop flights? In business class?

Just seems odd that someone's dissatisfaction with their flight routing somehow managed to morph into a discourse on US foreign policy.

The TS had a problem with his flight, Regent eventually made it right. I think this thread has probably run its course.

flossie009, in reality talking about environmentally friendly or not by the rerouting is a red herring. That flight to Frankfort and the ensuing flight to Heathrow are both going to fly whether or not the OP is on those flights so zero difference in effect to the environment.

First we learned that $350 is considered to be "a drop in the bucket" and now we find that an additional charge of £800* ($1035) is a "nominal fee" in the Regent world.

IMO the TS/OP and others are not trying to put customers off Regent. They are just presenting facts so that prospective cruisers (particularly those from the UK) are forewarned about the nature of Regent included flights and the potential additional charges that may be levied by Regent for more convenient non-stop flights (Those charges can be significantly more than the nominal deviation fee quoted in the booking Ts&Cs)

It seems bizarre logic to tell the TS/OP that they should not have reported back with the information that Regent did back down from what was an indefensible position. Surely this shows that Regent does listen to its customers' concerns (eventually), which is the mark of a good company.

* Note: This additional charge introduced by Regent amounts to over 8% of the cruise package price that was agreed at time of booking. There is no Deviation Fee involved as we are Platinum SSS members.

Thank you, Flossie, for your continuing comments. We had a ridiculous issue come up on our recent Mariner cruise which was finally settled mid cruise with Regent backing down. It does happen but I also remember someone else with an issue on these boards reporting that a problem had been resolved and the OP was advised not to discuss it on this public forum. One would think that kudos would finally go to the corp., but apparently not.

But we would be departing from Heathrow to Frankfurt anyway, so would still be subject to departure tax.

The London Departure Tax is based on distance flown and in Business Class to the US about $350 while for the much shorter flight to Frankfort, would not even be noticed. No arrival tax for London.

It seems bizarre logic to tell the TS/OP that they should not have reported back with the information that Regent did back down from what was an indefensible position. Surely this shows that Regent does listen to its customers' concerns (eventually), which is the mark of a good company..

Let me briefly explain the logic since it was my post that you are referring to. When any company makes an exception to policy and that exception is told to 5% of their customers (who likely shares that information with others), it sets a precedent. It is likely that anyone in the U.K. that read this thread and was in the same situation as the TS, would contact Regent and bring up the fact that they did this for someone else and therefore it should be done for them. For the reason, Regent has good reason not to make the same exception in the future.

Again, Regent has contracted flights that they get at a discount. This allows them to offer it to their passengers without a charge. Should you request something outside of these flights, there will be a charge. Obviously flights with one stop are what is being offered on many routes by the airlines and are likely less money. We are talking about thousands of seats per year and Regent no doubt is good at bargaining with the airlines but the bottom line is that the airlines are in the drivers seat.

Since Regent is being raked over the coals, I would like to know which other luxury line includes air (Business or Coach) that provides non-stop flights to their international destinations.

Let me briefly explain the logic since it was my post that you are referring to. When any company makes an exception to policy and that exception is told to 5% of their customers (who likely shares that information with others), it sets a precedent. It is likely that anyone in the U.K. that read this thread and was in the same situation as the TS, would contact Regent and bring up the fact that they did this for someone else and therefore it should be done for them. For the reason, Regent has good reason not to make the same exception in the future.

Again, Regent has contracted flights that they get at a discount. This allows them to offer it to their passengers without a charge. Should you request something outside of these flights, there will be a charge. Obviously flights with one stop are what is being offered on many routes by the airlines and are likely less money. We are talking about thousands of seats per year and Regent no doubt is good at bargaining with the airlines but the bottom line is that the airlines are in the drivers seat.

Since Regent is being raked over the coals, I would like to know which other luxury line includes air (Business or Coach) that provides non-stop flights to their international destinations.

I have been on numerous cruises with different lines over the past 30 years (some luxury, some not so) and this is the first time I have ever had this issue (even with the not so luxury ones). I have always been willing to travel to such main hubs as Heathrow and do not mind which airline I fly with - maybe I have just been lucky until now or maybe companies are changing their policy on the type of flights they are offering. However, as others have said, the thread only highlights what might be an issue for people using Regents included air - is it not better to beware of such issues or do we just pretend everything is wonderful?

In relation to making the outcome known to CC readers. I believe that it is in the interest of both Regent and CC readers to know the full story and the final outcome. Indeed, it is in Regents own interest for unsatisfied customer's to contact them to give them an opportunity to put things right and maybe change policy where necessary. Surely this is better than customers voting with their feet and not booking with them again.

Just for clarification sake...I believe Travelcat2/Jackie first posted this...Crystal DOES NOT include air. Crystal is running a promotion on selected voyages primarily in 2018 on their river boats for a reduced price on economy and business class based on cabin/suite category.

Nancy