I use a walker & I can't get a disabled cabin

billy10

Has anyone used a walker in a regular balcony cabin on S class ships ? Can I get by the bed with a Walker? Seems all disabled cabins are taken

Sometimes they will move someone from a disabled cabin to accommodate you if they do not need that particular type of cabin ... you can always call and ask. Or, it may just not be showing as available awaiting someone that needs an accessible cabin.

If you still want to go in a non-accessiible cabin, on the S class ships in a balcony room, you may want to make sure your bed is by the balcony vs next to the closet. You would definitely have trouble getting into the closet with your walker between the closet and the bed. And if you need your walker full time, be aware there is a step up into the bathroom.

The showers might also present a problem.

I hope they have one available for you that is just not showing on their website but is currently not booked.

The S-class ship balcony cabins are not all identical. Some have the bed closer to the door and some have the bed by the balcony doors. Personally- I liked it best with the bed by the balcony- otherwise the bed is really in the way. So I would ask someone at Celebrity (not a travel agent) to tell you which cabins have the bed by the balcony doors. I found the zigzag pattern of the cabins to be poor. Didn't like them at all- they seem narrow and there is too much furniture in the room. The coffee table is totally in the way. I'm pessimistic about someone with a walker in this room. A walker is like 26" inches wide right? I'd upgrade to a larger room. Watch the video I've linked.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

As someone who uses mobility devices, I would say it all depends on the type of walker since they vary greatly in size and shape. Do you use a four wheel or three wheel type!

If you need a higher toilet seat the special needs dept will have one put in your regular cabin. Your question will be answered in much more detail by experienced travelers if you post it on the board labeled Disabled Cruise Travel under Special Interest Cruising.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Based on my experience in regular cabins, a walker will definitely pose some problems. You're quite right in questioning the room to get around the bed, and I'd be very surprised if even the narrowest of walkers could get by. Should you have a cabin with the bed by the balcony, you'll have some room to move around in the first part of the cabin, but then you wouldn't be able to get to the balcony. Bear in mind too that the entry to the bathroom as well as the balcony involves a lip to step over. So too does the shower itself, which has no stool to sit on, although you can request one.

I was on a cruise last year and met a couple who said that they always request a handicapped cabin because they are larger . Neither of the couple is disabled in any way.

I am partially disabled.Only 1 cruise line out of 6 that I have been on requested a letter from my physician .I believe this should be mandatory.

Thank you everyone for your replies I went through a travel agent he said one might come available closer to final payment if not I can cancel if I want to can't call celebrity because I booked with an agent

I was on a cruise last year and met a couple who said that they always request a handicapped cabin because they are larger . Neither of the couple is disabled in any way.

I am partially disabled.Only 1 cruise line out of 6 that I have been on requested a letter from my physician .I believe this should be mandatory.

Well, shame on the people who purposly take one for the extra space... on the other hand, one big problem with taking a guarantee cabin in the suite catagory is that there's a good chance you'll end up with an accessible sky suite, & if you get assigned one & there's no regular ones available, that's what you're stuck with, you can't mark your reservation "no accessible cabins" :( We turned down a suite upgrade on our last cruise due to this very problem... they tend not to release the sky suite guarantees on longer cruises until theres ony a handful of cabins left. Wish they would reserve the accessible cabins for those who need them.

Sometimes they will move someone from a disabled cabin to accommodate you if they do not need that particular type of cabin ... you can always call and ask.

Doubtful because if the person booking the cabin said (truthfully or not) that their disability qualifies them for a disabled cabin, the cruise line cannot ask for any more information about the disability and thus would have no way to know if the person can be moved from that cabin.

Celebrity cruises has a 'Special needs' form which can be filled in. I have used it as I am Lactose Intolerant and have seen that there are other sections, e.g. wheel chair use.

So really they should ask for that form to be submitted if someone is booking a disabled cabin.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am in an accrssible suite we now dont need because our disabled daughter wont ne travelling with us. We asked to switch to a regular suite but the extra Celebrity wanted to charge us was exorbitant. Just hope we are not blocking a room for someone who needs it. We have made it clear wr are willing to consider a move.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Forums mobile app

A "walker" will not present a problem in a regular cabin...A walker is usually used for "stabilization" reasons. If it is wider than your cabin door, and you need to balance yourself at all times, you just walk in sideways. One side of the bed is always clear if you need to leave it there. Stop and think everyone. Holy Moly, there are TONS AND TONS of people with walkers on a cruise and only a handful of HC cabins. When I broke my leg a couple of years ago, I had a walker AND a wheelchair in a regular cabin..with no problems at all. I am now disabled and purchased a scooter and have a STANDARD cabin for my next cruise. The OP did not state he needed a lowered toilet or a "roll in" shower.....so I am assuming he does not need one. OP...if your only worried about a walker, you will not have any problems at all. Have a wonderful cruise! :cool:

Doubtful because if the person booking the cabin said (truthfully or not) that their disability qualifies them for a disabled cabin, the cruise line cannot ask for any more information about the disability and thus would have no way to know if the person can be moved from that cabin.

Well, I only mention that because I was placed in a disabled cabin before as it was the last one left in the category I wanted. I was told I would have to move if someone that was actually disabled had requested an accessible ... which was absolutely FINE with me.

It was on another cruise line so not sure if Celebrity subscribes to the same policy but it did happen! Thought it might help the OP to call just to find out if this occurred.

Thanks for all the help I booked the Equinox on Nov 6

We are on that sailing as well along with a pretty large cruise critic contingent. Suggest you post to our roll call. There's always the chance that someone on the board with a handicapped cabin decides to cancel and can give you a heads-up

My very elderly mum has a walker.

We try to have the bed by the closet/ bathroom in a balcony cabin, as when she gets up, she can immediately balance on the wall to get into the bathroom at night. Balcony accessibles are like hens teeth!!

I do have to help her to get on the balcony - but nothing is perfect. We cope pretty well really.

A "walker" will not present a problem in a regular cabin...A walker is usually used for "stabilization" reasons. If it is wider than your cabin door, and you need to balance yourself at all times, you just walk in sideways. One side of the bed is always clear if you need to leave it there. Stop and think everyone. Holy Moly, there are TONS AND TONS of people with walkers on a cruise and only a handful of HC cabins. When I broke my leg a couple of years ago, I had a walker AND a wheelchair in a regular cabin..with no problems at all. I am now disabled and purchased a scooter and have a STANDARD cabin for my next cruise. The OP did not state he needed a lowered toilet or a "roll in" shower.....so I am assuming he does not need one. OP...if your only worried about a walker, you will not have any problems at all. Have a wonderful cruise! :cool:

I was thinking the same thing but was hesitant about responding. I personally don't use a walker but have frequently traveled with relatives who do. They have had absolutely no issue using a standard sized cabin. Yes, a larger cabin or handicapped cabin is easier to fit into, but I would guess 90%+ of people in regular walkers will be just fine in a regular cabin. I do agree that it would be preferable to get a cabin where the bed is not right next to the closet. But worst case - if you are traveling with a partner, have him/her get your closet items for you if need be. Same with overhead storage. I always have my 6'3" husband get my over the bed stuff for me as I don't like crawling up on the bed to reach it either. I honestly cannot imagine a situation where someone using a regular walker could not manage in a regular cabin. I also have traveled on several lengthy cruises lately where there were many, many walkers - a lot more than there were handicapped cabins.

So I would ask someone at Celebrity (not a travel agent) to tell you which cabins have the bed by the balcony doors.]

I'm curious as to why you say not to ask your travel agent this question?

Yes, you will be fine in a normal cabin. The HC cabins are set up for wheelchairs and turning radius that they need. With a walker, you'll be fine.

Sorry, totally disagree, a walker won't fit between the cabin wall and the end of the bed, nor between the bedside closest to the wall and the wall, and some won't pass through the bathroom door.

You mention you can't call Celebrity because you booked with a TA. I'm not sure which part of the world you are from, but I am in the UK, always booked through a TA and have frequently conþacted Celebrity direct with questions and requests. Not a problem.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Forums mobile app