Disembarkation: another silly change from Celebrity.

Wiltonian

On the Silhouette: last night our room steward gave us our luggage tags for Rome. No form for us to indicate transport plans and times. Just a tag for a useless 8.30 disembarkation. Swapped it at GR, who told me they're trying a new system. What a silly idea!

they gave us 9:20 despite the fact we had plans booked for 8:30. When you do online checkin before you leave there is a place to indicate flight times coming and going. I think if they see you aren't flying out that day they just give you the last time available...

We just disembarked Reflection. We were given a number but no specific time. Finally, around 8:40, I asked if we should go since our pickup was at 9. We had number 46 and they had only called up to 24. I think they are only giving specific times for walkoff and Celebrity transfers. We were able to get off when we asked.

We just disembarked a few weeks ago from the Reflection and were confused by this system at first. When I read the Disembarkation tips, it became clear:

For Independent Travelers it said "We have assigned numbers to all independent travelers with a departure time - please wait comfortably in any public lounge. If the time doesn't suit your plans, you do not need to change your numbered tags as the number is for recognition purposes only. All luggage will be available at 7:00 AM inside the terminal."

It worked very well for us. When we were ready, we walked off at our leisure, there was no line (7:30 AM) and we easily found our luggage and were out the door. I was concerned that would be a busy time if people could leave whenever they wished, but maybe people didn't read the sheet (the back of the sheet had the suggested times to depart for each number, but didn't say they were suggested). It will be interesting to see if this works overall.

Edited by vtcruising

First time going on Celebrity but not to cruising.

I have done self disembarkment where you walk off with your luggage before the ship transfers and coloured tags. The ship give you a time to exit the ship before the other groups that have a coloured tags.

I think I might do the early disembarkment if I can leave at around 7 so I don't have to carry off my luggage.

From what you said, you got a luggage tag, put your luggage out the door the last night, walked off early before they called the number, picked up your luggage.

Was your luggage grouped in your luggage tag number?

First time going on Celebrity but not to cruising.

I have done self disembarkment where you walk off with your luggage before the ship transfers and coloured tags. The ship give you a time to exit the ship before the other groups that have a coloured tags.

I think I might do the early disembarkment if I can leave at around 7 so I don't have to carry off my luggage.

From what you said, you got a luggage tag, put your luggage out the door the last night, walked off early before they called the number, picked up your luggage.

Was your luggage grouped in your luggage tag number?

Yes, the luggage was sorted by numbers (and people were there to help guide you to the right area).

Celebrity also has Express Walk-Off where you can keep your luggage and gather in an assigned public area at 6:45 and are guided to the gangway.

Enjoy your first Celebrity cruise!

On the Silhouette: last night our room steward gave us our luggage tags for Rome. No form for us to indicate transport plans and times. Just a tag for a useless 8.30 disembarkation. Swapped it at GR, who told me they're trying a new system. What a silly idea!

We have had this happen on our last 2 Summit cruises. July 7-16, 2017 and September 24 - October 8, 2017.

When it happened back in July I went down to Guest Services to ask where the form was and they said they were not doing this any longer.

We have done 4 RCCL cruises and they don't use a disembarkation form either (at least cruises sailing out of Cape Liberty, NJ).

This happened to us on Equinox last month. No disembarkation questionnaire as before every showed up. Then, on the last day, luggage tags with #48 appeared. This was later than we needed to disembark. I went down to Guest Services who said they were "trying a new model." ?!?! All I see this doing is creating needless extra work for guests and employees. They "guess" what time will work for you. If it doesn't you must go down to Guest Services and they will give you new tags. If they don't want to do the disembarkation questionnaire why don't they do what NCL does which is put out luggage tags on a board near Guest Services and you take the ones you want corresponding to your departure time?

This happened to us on Equinox last month. No disembarkation questionnaire as before every showed up. Then, on the last day, luggage tags with #48 appeared. This was later than we needed to disembark. I went down to Guest Services who said they were "trying a new model." ?!?! All I see this doing is creating needless extra work for guests and employees. They "guess" what time will work for you. If it doesn't you must go down to Guest Services and they will give you new tags. If they don't want to do the disembarkation questionnaire why don't they do what NCL does which is put out luggage tags on a board near Guest Services and you take the ones you want corresponding to your departure time?

Our Debarkation sheet said:

"We have assigned numbers to all independent travelers with a departure time - please wait comfortably in any public lounge. If the time doesn't suit your plans, you do not need to change your numbered tags as the number is for recognition purposes only. All luggage will be available at 7:00 AM inside the terminal."

We didn't need to change our tags, just showed up when we wanted to - not sure if some times there will be a traffic jam or not - sounds like maybe it's a trial on some ships.

I like that idea! Either way, the departure time doesn't matter to me for my next scheduled cruises.

We just disembarked a few weeks ago from the Reflection and were confused by this system at first. When I read the Disembarkation tips, it became clear:

For Independent Travelers it said "We have assigned numbers to all independent travelers with a departure time - please wait comfortably in any public lounge. If the time doesn't suit your plans, you do not need to change your numbered tags as the number is for recognition purposes only. All luggage will be available at 7:00 AM inside the terminal."

It worked very well for us. When we were ready, we walked off at our leisure, there was no line (7:30 AM) and we easily found our luggage and were out the door. I was concerned that would be a busy time if people could leave whenever they wished, but maybe people didn't read the sheet (the back of the sheet had the suggested times to depart for each number, but didn't say they were suggested). It will be interesting to see if this works overall.

We had exactly the same on Reflection in May. We met our group who we were sharing a shuttle to the airport with and disembarked when ready and found our bags no problem and it wasn't at the time allocated to our numbered tags. I'm sure those with us who insisted on taking their own bags off didn't think it'd work, but it did.

Thinking more about this. They are saying the terminal has the space for ALL the bags for all departing guests to be on the carousels simultaneously at 7 am?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No carousels in Civitavecchia - they are left on the floor in a large marquee.

Our Debarkation sheet said:

"We have assigned numbers to all independent travelers with a departure time - please wait comfortably in any public lounge. If the time doesn't suit your plans, you do not need to change your numbered tags as the number is for recognition purposes only. All luggage will be available at 7:00 AM inside the terminal."

We didn't need to change our tags, just showed up when we wanted to - not sure if some times there will be a traffic jam or not - sounds like maybe it's a trial on some ships.

Onboard the Silhouette, the sheet doesn't say this. We were definitely assigned a meeting place and a time. When I went to guest services saying our assigned time was too late, they did exchange the tags for me. I would suspect that we could have just walked off before our number was called, but wanted to do it proper... The sheet does tell us to be out of our cabin by 8, so maybe we'll just leave the cabin at 8 and walk off instead of wait in the theater for our number to be called.

Onboard the Silhouette, the sheet doesn't say this. We were definitely assigned a meeting place and a time. When I went to guest services saying our assigned time was too late, they did exchange the tags for me. I would suspect that we could have just walked off before our number was called, but wanted to do it proper... The sheet does tell us to be out of our cabin by 8, so maybe we'll just leave the cabin at 8 and walk off instead of wait in the theater for our number to be called.

I wondered if it was being tried on some ships since some people are reporting no change and others have seen the change, Here are pictures of what was on our sheet.

It was confusing because the front said to leave when you wanted to after 7:00 (first picture) and the back had specific times for the numbers (the second picture).

We were number 44 (8:15), but had a car picking us up at 7:45 so walked off then. It was nice because people were in the terminal asking what number we had and showing us where our luggage would be.

enhance

enhance

I take it that we still can just walk off with our own luggage if we want to keep it in our cabin with us on the last night...Correct?

We've done this a number of times as we usually arrange independent transportation to the airport.