Breakfast question

bostonfred

We are experienced cruisers, but only second on Princess, the first being awhile back. We are wondering about breakfast in the main restaurant. Is it only order off the menu ? Or is there also a self serve option with hot and cold options as well. We were on Allure of the Seas in April and they had both options of ordering off the menu or serving yourself salmon, eggs, muffins etc..it gave the family choice and convenience...we will be on Caribbean Princess in January...thanks😉

Breakfast in the mdr is off the menu only, except for the roving waiter with the danish and such tray. He comes by the table, and you can choose from the tray selections.

Edited by Sea Hag
clarification

We are wondering about breakfast in the main restaurant. Is it only order off the menu ? Or is there also a self serve option with hot and cold options as well. We were on Allure of the Seas in April and they had both options of ordering off the menu or serving yourself salmon, eggs, muffins etc..it gave the family choice and convenience...

Sorry but when I was on Vision of the Seas in 2014 the presence of the self-serve station in the MDR at breakfast reduced our choices by giving the wait staff the excuse to decline to take our order for items on the table service menu. Order eggs cooked the way you wish and when they show up as the same mass produced fried-egg patties as on the buffet the waiter would say "takes too long to cook" when you ask why you weren't brought what you ordered. And the one day that Scotch Kippers were on the menu they were served without the potatoes listed as accompanying them; waiter's response was "they didn't make any today". Each day we went to MDR breakfast before surrendering and just hitting the lido we saw waiters just scoop whatever they felt was the equivalent of what was ordered by someone from the main menu, onto a buffet plate and serve that instead.

I remember reading a blog from a Cruise Critic regular who sailed a Transatlantic on an Oasis-class ship. He noted how it was impossible to get both a fresh fruit plate and a cooked to order omelette in the same venue: only omelette station was in one of the specialty areas nowhere near the buffet. And he knew from experience not to try to order fresh eggs in the MDR.

So I pray that Princess never adds self-serve stations in the MDR. If "choice and convenience" is one's preference the Horizon Court awaits. For those of us who actually rank quality of food and service first, we have the MDR for a peaceful breakfast without having to dodge oncomers while carrying a full plate.

Edited by fishywood

If you order the Eggs Benedict in MDR for breakfast (or from the Brunch option at lunch) be sure to ask for extra Hollandaise on the side. Otherwise you will be wondering why there is almost zero on your eggs.

Sorry but when I was on Vision of the Seas in 2014 the presence of the self-serve station in the MDR at breakfast reduced our choices by giving the wait staff the excuse to decline to take our order for items on the table service menu. Order eggs cooked the way you wish and when they show up as the same mass produced fried-egg patties as on the buffet the waiter would say "takes too long to cook" when you ask why you weren't brought what you ordered. And the one day that Scotch Kippers were on the menu they were served without the potatoes listed as accompanying them; waiter's response was "they didn't make any today". Throughout our cruise we saw waiters just scoop whatever they felt was the equivalent of what was ordered by someone from the main menu, onto a buffet plate and serve that instead.

I remember reading a blog from a Cruise Critic regular who sailed a Transatlantic on an Oasis-class ship. He noted how it was impossible to get both a fresh fruit plate and a cooked to order omelette in the same venue: only omelette station was in one of the specialty areas nowhere near the buffet. And he knew from experience not to try to order fresh eggs in the MDR.

So I pray that Princess never adds self-serve stations in the MDR. If "choice and convenience" is one's preference the Horizon Court awaits. For those of us who actually rank qualit of food and service first, we have the MDR for a peaceful breakfast without having to dodge oncomers while carrying a full plate.

Personally, I agree. I was on RCL this summer and I find the combo confusing and frustrating. The MDR and buffet both have positive aspects and serve separate purposes.

Sorry but when I was on Vision of the Seas in 2014 the presence of the self-serve station in the MDR at breakfast reduced our choices by giving the wait staff the excuse to decline to take our order for items on the table service menu. Order eggs cooked the way you wish and when they show up as the same mass produced fried-egg patties as on the buffet the waiter would say "takes too long to cook" when you ask why you weren't brought what you ordered. And the one day that Scotch Kippers were on the menu they were served without the potatoes listed as accompanying them; waiter's response was "they didn't make any today". Each day we went to MDR breakfast before surrendering and just hitting the lido we saw waiters just scoop whatever they felt was the equivalent of what was ordered by someone from the main menu, onto a buffet plate and serve that instead.

So I pray that Princess never adds self-serve stations in the MDR. If "choice and convenience" is one's preference the Horizon Court awaits. For those of us who actually rank quality of food and service first, we have the MDR for a peaceful breakfast without having to dodge oncomers while carrying a full plate.

Exactly what we experienced on the 3 Royal Caribbean ships we have been on. They were really pushy about using the "buffet" area during breakfast and seemed put out by us wanting to order a hot breakfast.

We are experienced cruisers, but only second on Princess, the first being awhile back. We are wondering about breakfast in the main restaurant. Is it only order off the menu ? Or is there also a self serve option with hot and cold options as well. We were on Allure of the Seas in April and they had both options of ordering off the menu or serving yourself salmon, eggs, muffins etc..it gave the family choice and convenience...we will be on Caribbean Princess in January...thanks😉

As others have stated there is no self serve option in the MDR. There is a menu, but you can ask for items that are not on the menu, things like omelettes with certain ingredients, scrambled eggs with whatever, egg sandwiches, etc.

The Horizon Ct. buffet has the serve yourself options. The Horizon Ct. also has a made to order omelette station.

The ala-carte off the menu breakfast in the MDR on our last cruise was SO good.

Hot, and fresh, and exactly as ordered.....

(overall, the MDR on that cruise, the CORAL, was excellent!!! We avoided the Buffet like the plague)

After reading the above post about the other cruise line - NO WAY!!!

Maybe we should stick to Princess.

I actually prefer the buffet breakfast in the Horizon Court. There are lots of choices, and even a "made to order" omelet station. Another good option is the International Cafe in the piazza. In the mornings they serve a yogurt parfait, a hot egg sandwich, and lots of yummy pastries.

My last cruise was on the other cruise line on the Liberty and while i thoroughly enjoyed my cruise and found the food generally positive, the MDR breakfast was really lacking. Food was not served even remotely hot, the eggs benedict was an utter fail between the texture of the english muffin and middling quality of the canadian bacon. The oatmeal was a ton of water and a small packet of instant oatmeal that was about as runny as you could get (room service hot breakfast with the $7.95 fee was on par with MDR). Buffet was great and continental breakfast was just fine. I'm looking forward to breakfast on the Grand in February

(overall, the MDR on that cruise, the CORAL, was excellent!!! We avoided the Buffet like the plague)

This will be our first Princess cruise after many on Norwegian. I am curious about the breakfast too. We never do buffet. I saw one sample menu and noticed there was no Cream of Wheat hot cereal, only oatmeal. It's trivial, I know, but I don't like oatmeal. I wonder if I should take some packets with me and just ask for hot water in the restaurant .

Gee, I thought this thread and blog was about Princess Cruise Lines...not RCI! I was once on a 20 person yacht in the Ionian Islands where everyone could dress as they please....and that is about as relevant here as what happens on the Oasis of the Seas or other non-Princess ships.

So to be blunt and repeat what has been said (many times) there is no self-serve option in the MDRs of Princess ships.

Hank

So how did they dress?

Gee, I thought this thread and blog was about Princess Cruise Lines...not RCI! I was once on a 20 person yacht in the Ionian Islands where everyone could dress as they please....and that is about as relevant here as what happens on the Oasis of the Seas or other non-Princess ships.

So to be blunt and repeat what has been said (many times) there is no self-serve option in the MDRs of Princess ships.

Hank

The main dining room breakfast service is a full service restaurant. All desired items, hot or cold, are served by the wait staff. If you want something that is not on the menu, then ask about it. For instance, one can usually get a 4 oz cranberry juice even when not on the menu.

We tried RCCL this year and did not like the "self serve" for cold items, and their service for hot items was awful. If we wanted to go to a buffet on Princess we would have gone to the Horizon Court.

Hi,we were on the Coral for a month last year and all eggs in the buffet were cooked fresh to order,also English bacon was from the same station.The waiter brought them over within 5 mins every time,brilliant,cheers,Brian.

Hi,we were on the Coral for a month last year and all eggs in the buffet were cooked fresh to order,also English bacon was from the same station.The waiter brought them over within 5 mins every time,brilliant,cheers,Brian.

On the Regal (and many of our other Princess cruises) the Horizon Court Buffet had both pre cooked eggs or eggs made to order. The precooked would often include trays of sunny side up, hard boiled, egg sandwiches, scrambled eggs, and some type of daily omelet which was often ham and cheese. If you wanted made to order eggs it was simply a matter of submitting your order and waiting. I do not recall waiters delivering eggs in the buffet...and given that there could sometimes be over 1000 passengers in the buffet and one could sit where they please....this might have been difficult.

Hank

On the Regal (and many of our other Princess cruises) the Horizon Court Buffet had both pre cooked eggs or eggs made to order. The precooked would often include trays of sunny side up, hard boiled, egg sandwiches, scrambled eggs, and some type of daily omelet which was often ham and cheese. If you wanted made to order eggs it was simply a matter of submitting your order and waiting. I do not recall waiters delivering eggs in the buffet...and given that there could sometimes be over 1000 passengers in the buffet and one could sit where they please....this might have been difficult.

Hank

On the Grand Princess, the person making the omelet in the Horizon Court gives you a piece of paper with a number on it. You pick your table and place the number on the table. When the waiter comes to take your juice order and pour the coffee, he picks up the tag. The waiter takes the tag back to the omelet station and exchanges it for your omelet, which he then brings back to you. I'm sure it probably works that way on most Princess ships.

On the Grand Princess, the person making the omelet in the Horizon Court gives you a piece of paper with a number on it. You pick your table and place the number on the table. When the waiter comes to take your juice order and pour the coffee, he picks up the tag. The waiter takes the tag back to the omelet station and exchanges it for your omelet, which he then brings back to you. I'm sure it probably works that way on most Princess ships.

That's the way it worked for us in January. :)

Thanks for replies.....for those who think having both the menu option and serve yourself is somehow a cut back, that is not how we found it. Those who wanted to ordered off the menu with no restrictions at all, those who wanted to peruse the buffet for salmon, fruit, muffins etc were free to do that...most adults did both...our 4 grandkids enjoyed getting food right away, service on the Allure was great....we have sailed multiple times on NCL, Royal, and Celebrity as well as individual sailings on Carnival, HAL, and Princess...every cruise line was great, people may have their favorites and each line may have their own vibe, but you can have a great time on all of them...I think restricting yourself to one line limits your itinerary options and choice of ships...I enjoyed Ruby Princess a few years back except for rock hard beds, and we are looking forward o Caribbean Princess in January..unless engines fail I am sure we will have a tremendous experience...I would just suggest to others to explore all options, I think you'll find if you're lucky enough to cruise, you're lucky enough😉😉

This will be our first Princess cruise after many on Norwegian. I am curious about the breakfast too. We never do buffet. I saw one sample menu and noticed there was no Cream of Wheat hot cereal, only oatmeal. It's trivial, I know, but I don't like oatmeal. I wonder if I should take some packets with me and just ask for hot water in the restaurant ��.

I think if you ask for Cream of Wheat in the DR, even if not on the menu, you will be able to get it. If they don't have it the first day just ask the head waiter that you would like some the next day. I have seen Cream of Wheat at the buffet almost every morning.

I assume you can also get your own juice from a machine?