Oasis of the Seas: From Devastation To Hope

Hey cruisers. On May 14, 2016 my wife, daughter, and I missed embarkation on Oasis of the Seas due to egregious errors and miscalculation by *this guy*. I wrote about our experience here.

The sympathetic and constructive feedback was truly appreciated and typifies what it means to be part of a community.

After stewing for a couple weeks we decided to give it a shot again and booked Harmony of the Seas for Feb'17. It gets better. RCCL issued a letter of credit out of pure compassion and mercy over our misadventures. I won't get into detail about this benevolent act nor how it came to fruition. Just know you want to do all you can to avoid the predicament of being mere steps away from the gangplank only to be sent back from whence you came. Show up early and enjoy the ship.

AND....if something were to happen, be sure you have a standard US passport and not the puny passport cards my daughter and I sported. You never know when you have catch a last-minute bird to the Bahamas for the interception play.

With that, we look forward to being on the Harmony. Hope to see some of you there!

Chris

Hey cruisers. On May 14, 2016 my wife, daughter, and I missed embarkation on Oasis of the Seas due to egregious errors and miscalculation by *this guy*. I wrote about our experience here.

The sympathetic and constructive feedback was truly appreciated and typifies what it means to be part of a community.

After stewing for a couple weeks we decided to give it a shot again and booked Harmony of the Seas for Feb'17. It gets better. RCCL issued a letter of credit out of pure compassion and mercy over our misadventures. I won't get into detail about this benevolent act nor how it came to fruition. Just know you want to do all you can to avoid the predicament of being mere steps away from the gangplank only to be sent back from whence you came. Show up early and enjoy the ship.

AND....if something were to happen, be sure you have a standard US passport and not the puny passport cards my daughter and I sported. You never know when you have catch a last-minute bird to the Bahamas for the interception play.

With that, we look forward to being on the Harmony. Hope to see some of you there!

Chris

You-Rule-You-Rock-600x329.png

Good for you, you have been great about admitting your mistakes and I think most of us were pulling for you because of that. I'm so glad RCCL worked with you. I hope your family has an awesome trip!

Somehow, I don't think bit of good news makes up for the torrent of people wanting some special dispensation from RCI.

Biker, who wonders how long before a thread appears saying that RCI's "customer service" sucks because they didn't get what they asked for.

Edited by Biker19

Now it is time to book your flight, for the day before. Get all your travel documents in order. To pick a hotel, minutes from the port. Plan to arrive at the ship around 11, while the last people are still disembarking. Time to prepare for a cruise that should be all that the last one wasn't. :)

I am glad to read that you are giving it another try. Spend some time on the boards here and you will get some tips to help with your upcoming cruise. Good luck and I look forward to reading a review 100% different than your last one.

Really pleased to hear this. I bet *that* day was totally horrific. I read your previous thread having palpatations!

We are on the Harmony next May, driving down from WDW very early in the morning (5am) as we want a full week in Disney Yacht and Beach club.

I know your experience will play on my mind now :(

Hope you have a fab cruise and spend lots of time on here planning !

Really pleased to hear this. I bet *that* day was totally horrific. I read your previous thread having palpatations!

We are on the Harmony next May, driving down from WDW very early in the morning (5am) as we want a full week in Disney Yacht and Beach club.

I know your experience will play on my mind now :(

Hope you have a fab cruise and spend lots of time on here planning !

Would recommend you drive down day before. At times accidents/construction cause severe traffic delays. You would not want to arrive late and miss your cruise. Last trip north from Ft. Lauderdale we had bumper to bumper traffic for miles departing Ft. Lauderdale and lost about an hour drive time. Please don't arrive late for your curise. WDW will be there when you return.

Thank you for haves shared your dreadful experience and then your good news.

Your sad story enabled people to learn from your story and this post makes us realizes RCCL does have a heart.

It just doesn't show up here often where so many have a sense of entitlement and demand cruise lines "fix" whatever went wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

What a great outcome! I applaud your wonderful and honest attitude and assessment of how the original failures happened. I hope you and your family have a wonderful and memorable (good ones this time!) on Harmony, and please come back and share your experiences with us! Happy sailing!!

Wonderful news and thank you very much for being so open and honest with your story.

Now for the fun part, keep reading on here and learn all you can so you will be well prepared for your Harmony cruise.

I don't think having a great attitude about the situation and taking responsibility for the mishap hurt your cause at all. RCI must get so tired of listening to entitled cruisers that call to complain, threaten and wail about real or perceived slights, and hear demands for freebies and compensation. Somehow they always "gotta make it right" even if the situation is not their fault. Nobody takes personal responsibility anymore.

Kudos to you and RCI. Glad you are happy with the outcome. Have a great cruise .

Thank you for sharing. I'm so happy for you! Your story prompted me to change plans for an upcoming trip. Originally was going to drive to Baltimore on the day of embarking but decided to go the day before after reading your cautionary tale.