Changes with FCC's

bionicbeacher

My husband and I each purchased a FCC on the Crown in Nov 2008. I filled out the forms and dropped them in the box. A week after returning home, two confirmation letters arrived in the mail, one for each of us.

The letters that we received clearly stated that for a 7-9 day cruise a $50.00PP OBC would apply for the first and second passenger in the cabin.

The fine print on the letter :*This offer applies to the first two passenger i. the stateroom only...

The reservation agents didn't seem familiar with this verbiage. One rep told me that the program never provided OBC to both passengers, and that a computer glitch had allowed it until it was fixed recently. That was a good one. ...as they say ...I was born at night but not last night...

I had used my certificate to cruise with a friend this past Nov(09) I had booked directly through Princess and received 100.OBC..$50.00 for each person in the cabin. By the way, it was a great cruise:)

Last week, my DH used his FCC to book a cruise for the two of us, directly through Princess. The phone said that the program had changed, and the second person in the cabin wouldn't get the OBC. We told them that our expectation was that Princess would honor what they had sold us and had explained in writing.

I dug out the letter, and after scanned and emailed it to Princess customer relations. It took a few days, and a couple of calls escalated to supervisors, but i am happy to say that the second credit was applied.

I spent way too much time on the phone on this...probably won't buy another FCC, even though I really like Princess.

Many of the Princess future cruise reps have said for years that each person needed their own FCC. However, until September, 2009, one FCC plus $100 would book two people in a cabin, with each getting the appropriate OBC.

In September, Princess changed the computer program, so that only the holder of a FCC got the benefits.

"One rep told me that the program never provided OBC to both passengers, and that a computer glitch had allowed it until it was fixed recently. That was a good one. ...as they say ...I was born at night but not last night..."

Actually, they did change the way that FCC's can be used, in September 2009. So, they did explain it to you accurately, they were not trying to pull your leg on this one. I wondered what would happen when some of the older FCC's were used and if they would honor the fine print on them that the offer was for the first two passengers in the stateroom. They're 'glitch' was that they had that fine print worded incorrectly, so they can't blame us, the passengers, for taking advantage of what they offered. ;)

Although you won the war, this is when a good travel agent earns their commission, they would have fought that battle for you. Glad you won the war though! :)

Thanks.....I usually book through an online agency with a phone center, but in this case, Princess had the best price.

Many of the Princess future cruise reps have said for years that each person needed their own FCC. However, until September, 2009, one FCC plus $100 would book two people in a cabin, with each getting the appropriate OBC.

In September, Princess changed the computer program, so that only the holder of a FCC got the benefits.

I guess that they figured that the holders of the "old" certificates wouldn't have the fortitude to insist on getting what they paid for.

I booked a cruise this past October and sailed in November. Used my FCC

Got 100.00 obc...$50./pp no problem.

My more recent booking was the one with the problem.

The info from the Princess call center was all over the place...computer glitch, change in the policy, Never was offered in the first place ..."Ok Ma'am, I will ask a supervisor, but they are only going to tell you what I did"

It was actually kind of comical, in an annoying, time wasting kind of way;)

I wondered what would happen when some of the older FCC's were used and if they would honor the fine print on them that the offer was for the first two passengers in the stateroom.

There are two ways to interpret that phrasing.

First is the way we like, namely that one FCC could be used to get two OBCs for the first two passengers in a stateroom.

Second is that the ability to use an FCC to get OBC can only be done by the first two passengers each using an FCC. In other words, two FCCs can get you the two OBCs, but a third one for a third passenger would not.

Thanks.....I usually book through an online agency with a phone center, but in this case, Princess had the best price.

That usually means that the agencies you checked with, did not use your past passenger number to get the best price for you. You probably qualified for a discount based on your captain circle number and if they don't enter that number in - you won't get an accurate quote.

If you are not past final payment, you can still transfer your booking and save money!

There are two ways to interpret that phrasing.

First is the way we like, namely that one FCC could be used to get two OBCs for the first two passengers in a stateroom.

Second is that the ability to use an FCC to get OBC can only be done by the first two passengers each using an FCC. In other words, two FCCs can get you the two OBCs, but a third one for a third passenger would not.

And I think the second interpretation is the one that Princess intended all along.

Just wanted to add our positive experience with Princess and the 'old' program. In late October '09 we (dw and I) booked a 10 day Canal cruise (balcony) for March 2010 using one FCC purchased back in March '07. Princess allowed us to use the one FCC plus additional $100 deposit. We each are rec the $100 obc. In addition, they have allowed us to use the old 'share the wealth' vouchers for two additional cabins. These four folks were also allowed the discounted deposit plus will rec the $100pp obc:). I should mention that we have an awesome TA that has excellent people skills. I always say sugar and spice is better then lemons and vinegar. All we (he) did was ask for what we had already purchased on the old plan. It did take him a couple of calls to move up the chain and get the positive results. Don't want to stir things up, just wanted to share.

Oh, on a side note, we'll also be rec an additional $50obc per cabin from customer relations. This is a result of our 'Thank You' letter to Princess from our '08 Alaska cruise.:D Can't wait to get credit from TA, as he always throws in a little something:).

Just wanted to add our positive experience with Princess and the 'old' program. In late October '09 we (dw and I) booked a 10 day Canal cruise (balcony) for March 2010 using one FCC purchased back in March '07. Princess allowed us to use the one FCC plus additional $100 deposit. We each are rec the $100 obc. In addition, they have allowed us to use the old 'share the wealth' vouchers for two additional cabins. These four folks were also allowed the discounted deposit plus will rec the $100pp obc:). I should mention that we have an awesome TA that has excellent people skills. I always say sugar and spice is better then lemons and vinegar. All we (he) did was ask for what we had already purchased on the old plan. It did take him a couple of calls to move up the chain and get the positive results. Don't want to stir things up, just wanted to share.

Oh, on a side note, we'll also be rec an additional $50obc per cabin from customer relations. This is a result of our 'Thank You' letter to Princess from our '08 Alaska cruise.:D Can't wait to get credit from TA, as he always throws in a little something:).

That used to be a great way to use FCC's and the share the wealth. Too bad they don't offer anything like that anymore. :(

... The consultant said that this would act as our deposit and we would receive $100.00 each OBC and would also be eligible for other promotions. Thanks:([/b]
What type of cabin did you book and for how long of a cruise? The amount of OBC from using an FCC to book depends on the type of cabin and length of cruise. It can be up to $100, but if you booked a balcony room on a week-long cruise, it is just $50. It sounds to me like you were given $50 OBC from booking with your FCC plus $25 OBC for the promotion. Each.

...We decided to book a B2B Alaska for May. Husband and I each had only one FCC available, so we figured we would have to do without the OBC for one of us on each leg. Turned out to be a completely different ending....

We have one booking, booked with FCC, which shows $87.50 shipboard credit for each of us. The other is a cash deposit (or too much, if you ask me) and shows a shipboard credit of $37.50 for each of us....

I'll update when we get word from someone with Princess who should know just what's going on. But as of today we were not allowed to book a cabin with one FCC and $100 for each leg of the cruise.

Wish us luck!

goodie-It is getting stranger by the moment. I have never heard of this before, $87.50 shipboard credit for one cruise and $37.50 for the second? Weird!

You'll have to come back and tell us how this one worked out when your TA finds out.

Is there currently a promotion for $150 per cabin for booking an Alaska cruise going on? It sounds to me that Goodie and DH used their FCCs, one each, to book the first leg of the B2B, and each got $50 OBC for that, AND the mysterious $37.50 OBC (total $87.50 for first leg, each). Sounds like the second leg was booked 'conventionally' with no FCC, higher deposit, but still eligible for the $37.50 promotional OBC. The $37.50 sounds odd until you realize that Goodie and DH are getting 4 x 37.50 = $150, and that is a common per cabin promotion.

Goodie was expecting to use one FCC for each leg (and with a lowered deposit for the second person), with $50 OBC on each leg, instead of all FCC credit on the first leg. I suspect that the lowered cash $100 deposit for the second (without an FCC) person also went away when they started requiring two FCC to get OBC for both persons.

The good news is that she is getting the promotional $150 OBC.

Our UK FCC is clearly addressed to both myself and my wife, and the benefits are that we each pay GBP 75.00 deposit (UK cruisers do not have to pay up front like you do in the US)and then we EACH recieve the level of OBC dependant on cabin grade and length of cruise; USD 25.00pp for an inside cabin on a 7/9 day cruise up to USD 150.00 pp for an outside cabin of 16 nights or more. We could book more than one FCC in the past and we have in fact sometimes done this.

It is very precise leaving no possibility of a different interpretation, it is dated Feb 2008,and I will expect Princess to honour it in full.

I do not know what changes if any were made to UK FCC's in Sept 2009, but would be interested to know from anyone in the UK who has booked one since then.

I booked an aft balcony for 2 passengers for a 7 day Alaskan cruise. Last July, we had each purchased the 100.00 FCC. The agent "applied" our two FCC's meaning that we had now used them to book our cruise and this was the deposit. Our FCC was supposed to get 100.00 EACH OBC. That is why I thought the math was interesting. This agent gave us only 50.00 each plus the 25.00 current promotion. I am working on this.

We contacted Princess by telephone and the individual stated that the conditions of our FCC purchases were in error due to a computer error. We have been purchasing these FCC for many many years now and this "excuse" of error is nonsense and we said so. He then transferred us to Customer Relations. They followed the same line until we read out to them the conditions found on the letter of confirmation clearly stating credits were applicable to both parties in the one cabin booking. They then asked us to FAX them the letters, which we have done, and we are now awaiting their response. We liken their position to the purchase a dozen eggs only to get home and find the package contain but 6. It's not the value of the loss it's the principle that what we were assured of in the original purchase should now be delivered.

We contacted Princess by telephone and the individual stated that the conditions of our FCC purchases were in error due to a computer error. We have been purchasing these FCC for many many years now and this "excuse" of error is nonsense and we said so. He then transferred us to Customer Relations. They followed the same line until we read out to them the conditions found on the letter of confirmation clearly stating credits were applicable to both parties in the one cabin booking. They then asked us to FAX them the letters, which we have done, and we are now awaiting their response. We liken their position to the purchase a dozen eggs only to get home and find the package contain but 6. It's not the value of the loss it's the principle that what we were assured of in the original purchase should now be delivered.

Just for clarification are you booking 1 stateroom with 2 people and both of those 2 people have a FCC in each of their names?

Just for clarification are you booking 1 stateroom with 2 people and both of those 2 people have a FCC in each of their names?

We are booked on a b2b. Each of the two occupants of the cabin has one FCC in their name. One FCC was used to book the first half of the cruise and the other used for the return. This is how the many previous cruises were booked over the years (and we are classified as Elite) and each and every time both of us were afforded the OBC.

...We liken their position to the purchase a dozen eggs only to get home and find the package contain but 6. It's not the value of the loss it's the principle that what we were assured of in the original purchase should now be delivered.

For those of you who may have been following our analogy, we just received the six missing eggs...

For those of you who may have been following our analogy, we just received the six missing eggs...

Happy to hear they honored the wording on the old FCC's you had. But if you happen to purchase more, the wording has been changed, so I wouldn't count on this happening again.

Sometimes you have to fight for your rights, and having them not honor those older Fcc's as they were worded, I agree, just was not right. Enjoy!

I booked an aft balcony for 2 passengers for a 7 day Alaskan cruise. Last July, we had each purchased the 100.00 FCC. The agent "applied" our two FCC's meaning that we had now used them to book our cruise and this was the deposit. Our FCC was supposed to get 100.00 EACH OBC. That is why I thought the math was interesting. This agent gave us only 50.00 each plus the 25.00 current promotion. I am working on this.

Sorry, but $50 is exactly what you are entitled to with the FCC credit for this upcoming cruise. (somehow you misunderstood or are looking at your paperwork/FCC receipt incorrectly).

Here is the break down of shipboard credit when using an FCC

7-9 Days $25 pp in an inside stateoom $50 pp in an outside stateroom

10-15 Days $75 pp inside stateroom $100 pp in an outside stateroom

16+ Days $125 inside stateroom $150 outside stateroom

You would have been entitled to $100 per person if your cruise was 10-15 days, but not for a 7 day cruise. Afraid you don't have a leg to stand on in this fight, as you are incorrect in your assumption that you were to be given $100 each shipboard credit for the cruise.

BTW-Any outside stateroom, balcony, mini suite or full suite are considered an outside stateroom for this credit.

Happy to hear they honored the wording on the old FCC's you had.

We have every intention of purchasing more FCC's (now that we know we are not subjected to a maximum of two), for it remains an outstanding deal even with the new conditions. Nothing is lost in doing so, save for the loss of perhaps the current .025% interest we would have gained with the deposit money. The final return on the FCC deposit can range from 25% to 150% depending on final bookings.

We are booked on a b2b. Each of the two occupants of the cabin has one FCC in their name. One FCC was used to book the first half of the cruise and the other used for the return. This is how the many previous cruises were booked over the years (and we are classified as Elite) and each and every time both of us were afforded the OBC.

Princess changed their reservation system to follow the policy that has existed since the FCC's were introduced. Each person must have a FCC in their name for each cruise to get the benefit. Many people have said that the FCC rep told them this in the past. However, the reservation system did not work this way. They fixed this error in September.

We have every intention of purchasing more FCC's (now that we know we are not subjected to a maximum of two), for it remains an outstanding deal even with the new conditions. Nothing is lost in doing so, save for the loss of perhaps the current .025% interest we would have gained with the deposit money. The final return on the FCC deposit can range from 25% to 150% depending on final bookings.

Yes, it is a great way to plan for deposits on future cruises. I know the Future cruise consultant on our last cruise made sure everyone understood how they could be used, and the purchase of the new FCC's clearly state the change in policy. At least now you are forwarned and know you can purchase as many FCC's as you like on your next sailing. And then you won't have to fight it out with Princess, as the new FCC's totally explain how they are used. Enjoy!

I hate to cause more confusion, but here's what happened to us last week. We decided to book a B2B Alaska for May. Husband and I each had only one FCC available, so we figured we would have to do without the OBC for one of us on each leg. Turned out to be a completely different ending.

When TA called to book on Friday, he was first told we didn't have any FCC avaible. He make the bookings, to be paid the first of the week. I supplied him with the numbers, etc. and the first of the week he went back to work on the cruise.

Princess acknowledged that we had the two FCC, but said we had to use one for each of us on one leg of the cruise, and pay the regular deposit for the other. My TA, who had been very sick, finally gave in and agreed to get the cruise booked.

He is currently trying to find out from Princess just what is going on. We have one booking, booked with FCC, which shows $87.50 shipboard credit for each of us. The other is a cash deposit (or too much, if you ask me) and shows a shipboard credit of $37.50 for each of us.

I'll update when we get word from someone with Princess who should know just what's going on. But as of today we were not allowed to book a cabin with one FCC and $100 for each leg of the cruise. And, the FCC were purchased last August, before the September change.

Wish us luck!

I know on one cruise when I went to check our onboard credit it had the .50 in the numbers and was confusing until I found out that one of our shipboard credit had been per cabin and had been divided evenly on our accounts which made it end in .50.

So if you have a $25 credit ($12.50 pp) $75.00 credit ($37.50 pp)

Ok, I'm not going to read the 3rd page on this thread. I haven't been on here for awhile and now I'm reading this and don't understand. I'm sorry I'm not going to try and find the original thread and read all of that either.

Please you cruisers that are here constantly answering all the important questions help me understand.

I purchased 2 FCC on our last cruise April 2009. If I go to book another cruise for 2011, can I use them for the deposit for our cruise? We purchased 2 so that will count for both of our deposits right?

Do we still both get the 100.00 credit too?

Thanks in advance. I really don't want to go back and search for this thread.

Archived