Formal Night Every Night

borg1of2

I know there are lots of threads about formal night, when, how many, jeans allowed, etc. My question is how many people would want to go on a cruise that had Formal Night every night?

I am a traditional cruise, even though I never cruised back in the day this was done, but it is one thing I do like about cruising is the formal nights, so was wondering what others thought.

Scott

I know there are lots of threads about formal night, when, how many, jeans allowed, etc. My question is how many people would want to go on a cruise that had Formal Night every night?

I am a traditional cruise, even though I never cruised back in the day this was done, but it is one thing I do like about cruising is the formal nights, so was wondering what others thought.

Scott

With current luggage restrictions, it would cost me a fortune to take two huge suitcases with formal stuff. For men, it's just a tux and a couple of shirts. For women, it's the dress and the shoes and the lingerie etc etc etc

Viv

I don't think I'd want to, but I could do it if I had to. I'd have to pack clothes for evening, anyway, so the weight substitution would probably be less, since my formal clothes are almost all chiffon or lightweight materials. My husband wouldn't like it, though: 2 - 3 per cruise is enogh for him.

I'd like no formal nights. I think today things are far more casual and we don't go to formal events any more, so, to me, it's a waste of money to buy formal clothes.

I do have a few dressy outfits that I wear, but trying to get DH to get dressed up is not as easy as it used to be. He gets warm very easily, and when he wears a suit and tie, his shirt is usually quite wet, so the jacket and tie come off as quickly as possible.

My husband wouldn't though.

It's the luggage restrictions that are the problem. I certainly wouldn't want to wear the same shoes with each outfit, and I'd love to take some bigger/heavier dresses. Can't, because they'll seriously impact what other clothes I could take.

Same with suits - if you wanted to take 2 or 3 suits, it would impact how many other clothes you could take.

But if I could take all the luggage I wanted, sure. I'd love it.

Never wear a Tuxedo but I normally wear a sport jacket every evening for dinner, have a few I take and switch out different nights thru the length of the cruise, suit and tie on formal nights or at Specialty venue.

We wouldn't. Part of being on vacation for us (not for everyone ok?) is being casual and not worrying about what to wear especially on a warm weather cruise. I dress professionally for work everyday and we attend at least 5 formal events each year, usually more.

I can see where people who do not normally get a chance to dress formally would think it more fun though.

I'd go for semi-formal every night :) I love to wear cocktail dresses, have enough of them for more than a 7 night cruise, so I'm good to go.

My husband wouldn't care for it as much, he'll wear a suit on formal nights (not really formal, more semi-formal) but I think I'd have a hard time convincing him to wear a suit 7 nights in a row.

Not interested. I'd have to pack at least 3 suits. Those suckers take a lot of room! My wife would need 2 suitbags just for that much formal wear. We've got the clothes since we dress up formally very often. Just not interested with so much on a cruise. 1 night is nice on a 7 day.

I like formal just a few times on each cruise, just like it is . I have many “formal type” outfits that take up no more space or weight than a pair of slacks and a top. I have many occasions to dress formal when not sailing so I have a variety of “Formal type” outfits and I like that cruising gives me a few more excuses to wear what I have.

I am a light packer and don’t fret about the perfect pair of shoes/handbag for any night, including formal. Don’t tell anyone, but I have even worn the same dress twice on a cruise, and not even changed the accessories! I wear the same metallic strappy sandals formal night with my dress or evening pants that I wear the other nights with slacks or a sundress.

For women, dressing casual ( or even very casual) takes no less suitcase space or weight than dressing up a bit. You still need some sort of dress or top and bottom. Evening pants take up way less weight and space than jeans. OK – I admit that a suit/tux does take a lot of weight/space and those men’s dress shoes – well forget it!

A few years back, there was a lovely couple at the next dinner table that dressed formally every evening. They did look beautiful.

M

I'd go for semi-formal every night :) I love to wear cocktail dresses, have enough of them for more than a 7 night cruise, so I'm good to go.

My husband wouldn't care for it as much, he'll wear a suit on formal nights (not really formal, more semi-formal) but I think I'd have a hard time convincing him to wear a suit 7 nights in a row.

I totally agree. I love to get dressed up and go to dinner. On formal nights its a little more glitzy, and the rest of the cruise I wear cocktail dresses or dressy pants and tops. Packing has not been a issue.

My husband has even gotten on board. He just bought a dinner jacket to have something other than his black tux for second formal nights on longer cruises.:D

Other than the luggage restrictions that are posed now, I would love a formal/semi-formal night every night. (Love Boat-style) There's something so graceful and civilized about them. When you're being served an elegant, multi-course meal, (other than a 2 for $20 at a chain restaurant) you want to make the most of the experience - out of respect for the staff - if nothing else.

With luggage restrictions etc and other adventures before or after, and renting a tux is not in my vocabulary. I have a hard time finding different dress clothes to wear on formal nights in my mid size suit case. I simply would not cruise if it was mandatory dress for dinner. Having said all that, women have less of a problem finding great looking dress/attire than men, I have looked all over for a light weight and I do mean light weight jacket to take, but none meet my requirement of weight, even the ones from high end shops that are advertised as travel clothes/jackets. LOL, I did find one at Macy's right every thing, but the design was for younger men with a waste size of 28 so it did not fit.

So, I still try and honor the dress code as much as possible, but but but, I probably am looked down upon for dressing just very very nice, and sometimes on longer trips with out a jacket of any type.

I will agree, dressing for dinner although not in my life style, is great fun for others, I think RC should, could, accommodate a dining area just for those who like to cruise in the,say, Titanic era of cruising.

I would love it! It is amazing how many gowns I have collected over the last couple of years from all the weddings I have been in. My husband is so easy going he wouldn't care what he had to wear to dinner. So we would defiantly be able to handle having every night be a formal night. As for the luggage if I can fit 2 formal gowns and clothing for 10 days into a carry-on I should have no problem checking one bag to be able to bring everything.

Amanda

Guest maddycat

Scott

We'd hate it. Neither my husband nor I enjoy dressing up. We prefer casual. If a cruise line required formal dress every night, we wouldn't cruise with that line.

I would love it, in fact it would encourage me to book if one of the mainstream cruise lines offered it. Even on casual nights I like to dress up a bit so I don't think it would make any difference to the luggage. DH always brings both a black and a white jacket and could easily bring another suit.

I don't think its ever going to happen though, all the cruise lines seem to be going the other way.

Julie

Not me.

Not a member of the country club. Never hve been a member of the country club. Have no desire to be a member of the country club. Do not wish to pretend to be a member of the country club.;)

Nope, not me! I'm surprised that this tradition is still in practice. Have always found it interesting that we are paying thousands of $$$'s and being told what is, and is not acceptable apparel on our vacation.

That's why we will never give up our land based vacations in the winter. Capri's and flip flops are about as fancy as I get, hubby never gets out of his shorts and tshirts. I have to dress up for work every day; I don't want to have to do anything on vacation:D

Off to the beach to see the remnants of Earl...

Archived