Onboard Mariner

flossie009

It is 08:30 on our first day of the TA crossing.

Susan has gone off to the fitness class, while I use some of our free Internet access - exercise being against my religion.

Embarkation yesterday was a nightmare, waiting around for two hours with very poor communication as to why - it turned out to be a computer problem.

Now we are on board everything is excellent.

IMO Regent need to review their on-shore services and 'retrain' some of their on-shore staff. Our airport transfers and embarkation let down the Regent luxury experience.

It was good to meet some fellow CruiseCritic members at sail away yesterday.

Now, what next? Ah yes, breakfast.

David

Sorry to hear about your difficulty boarding. The Mariner had computer issues at a couple of ports back in January. Hope they will attend to it during the upcoming dry dock. Will be really interested in how the Mariner does in an Atlantic crossing as we will be doing the next transatlantic in November.

IMO Regent need to review their on-shore services and 'retrain' some of their on-shore staff. Our airport transfers and embarkation let down the Regent luxury experience.

It is interesting to note that these problems were in Ft Lauderdale -- not some distant port where Regent has few options and little control.

I think this all points to a serious flaw in the evolving Regent model, where there are lots of inclusives and thus lots of people doing the same thing at the same time. I experienced these delays and lines with recent excursions (imagine three busloads of people lining up in the sun for tenders.) I do not want the included pre-cruise hotel, where busloads of people are transported to the ship at the same time. Etc. Or perhaps they will stagger the busses, where people in Concierge Class get the earlier busses, making others cool their heels in the hotel lobby.

The point about busloads of people being taken to the ship from the hotel for boarding is a good one. I wonder how that will work this year (it's too obvious how it will work next year!)

We have also experienced very long lines for excursions. Perhaps Regent will apply the Concierge rules to that too:confused:

Excellent cruise thus far.

Yesterday was sunny all day, with many lazing by the pool. Unfortunately today is overcast and cooler (64F).

We have started to collect Regent points by winning the croquet yesterday.

Last night we dined in Signatures with some new friends met on board - excellent food, great service and wonderful company. Embarkation night we dined in Compass Rose - again faultless. Tonight Prime 7.

A good lecture on 'Pirates' this morning.

Nearly time for lunch and maybe a small cocktail.........or two........or three. It is such a hard life on Regent.:rolleyes:

Tomorrow Bermuda

Susan & David

PS: Don't expect too many posts as the Internet connection is painful and drops out frequently

Prime 7 last night was very good - and for those worried about the large portions of meat the Chef is very happy to cut smaller portions to order.

Weather has cheered up with a sunny day in Bermuda.

Two trips today. A carriage ride around Hamilton this morning and then a boat trip looking at the billionaire's homes this pm. Both trips well organised and enjoyable. A little chilly on the boat trip.

Another Regent Point from the teatime Trivia Quiz - will soon have enough for a bookmark or luggage tag!

Now lazing on the balcony as we leave Bermuda. Think we will try the French Bistro in La Verandah tonight.

Tip of the Day: Be careful of the locks on the balcony doors. Yesterday morning we were taking breakfast on our balcony when the sea swell caused the door to roll shut - and it locked!!! We finally managed to gain the attention of a neighbour who rang reception to have us 'released'.

S & D

That lock problem is something I hadn't encountered. I thought they had to be positively locked from the inside. It is something to be careful about.

We thought Hamilton a very nice place. Now you are on your crossing with plenty of sea days. Hope you have a smooth crossing and enjoy the Regent day-time entertainment.

Have now lost all track of time - totally relaxed.

Weather and sea are both behaving themselves. Sunny days throughout the crossing thus far.

Yesterday was Susan's birthday so we started with a champagne and smoked salmon breakfast in the suite. Then a lazy day - stirring ourselves for the deck BBQ at lunch. A few friends in for drinks early evening and then an excellent birthday dinner in Compass Rose. Finished off dancing and drinking in Horizon. A thoroughly enjoyable day.

An example of Regent service: Two of the ladies at our table last night had forgotten their reading spectacles. No problem - the waiter quickly brought over a case containing an assortment of strengths and styles for them to use to read the menu. Regent really are faultless.

Today, croquet then shuffleboard (officers versus guests challenge). Susan graciously let the French Captain beat her, as I did with the Security Officer - we really must get some practice in.

We are now having another lazy afternoon trying to decide which cruise to book next! :rolleyes:

S & D

Have now lost all track of time - totally relaxed.

Weather and sea are both behaving themselves. Sunny days throughout the crossing thus far.

Yesterday was Susan's birthday so we started with a champagne and smoked salmon breakfast in the suite. Then a lazy day - stirring ourselves for the deck BBQ at lunch. A few friends in for drinks early evening and then an excellent birthday dinner in Compass Rose. Finished off dancing and drinking in Horizon. A thoroughly enjoyable day.

An example of Regent service: Two of the ladies at our table last night had forgotten their reading spectacles. No problem - the waiter quickly brought over a case containing an assortment of strengths and styles for them to use to read the menu. Regent really are faultless.

Today, croquet then shuffleboard (officers versus guests challenge). Susan graciously let the French Captain beat her, as I did with the Security Officer - we really must get some practice in.

We are now having another lazy afternoon trying to decide which cruise to book next! :rolleyes:

S & D

Sounds a great day.

On Mariner last year, I stopped Aurelia, then waitressing in Prime7, one evening to ask what she was carrying in a box which looked like a cigar box and it turned out to contain a variety of spectacles for guests who needed them.

Do you recall the name of the Security Officer? If it is "Harry" Harrison, please pass on our best wishes, from Tom and Barbara (Barbara in a wheelchair). We have had dinner with him on a couple of occasions. One was his first trip.

Oh! You lucky ducks! I am SOOOO jealous of your lazy, champagne filled days. And commiserate with you on the shuffleboard but then I suppose the officers are more experienced!

How are the lectures? Or have you been drinking too much champagne to notice??

(Sorry about that!)

Just realized that you are on the same cruise that I'm reading on another board. You are so fortunate to be on board with Franck Galzy as GM and Cruise Director Ray Solaire. In addition to being extraordinarily talented, Ray runs the best Trivia of any CD we have had in the past.

If you haven't found a section of Compass Rose that you prefer to dine in, try asking for Rommel's section (he is a head waiter and a wonderful person).

Continue to enjoy the cruise and report back when you can.:)

Well we have done it. After discussions with the on-board cruise consultant, and negotiations by email and phone with our UK TA, we have booked a cruise for 2012 - along with two other couples we met on board.

So as well as enjoying the rest of this cruise we have another Regent experience to look forward to. :)

After Madeira yesterday, today was another day at sea.

Tour of the Bridge this morning - Captain Stan made it very informative and interesting. Apparently Regent are negotiating with three shipyards to get the best deal for their new build. On ship's propulsion, 'Pods' are out and traditional 'screws & rudders' are back in favour. The maintenance costs and reliability issues of pods apparently outweigh the fuel savings.

Following a fish lunch (including sardines from Madeira) it was on to bowling and then a putting challenge. We now have so many 'Regent Points' we must end up owning at least half the ship at the end of this cruise. ;)

Off to Signatures this evening and then a show which Sue will thoroughly enjoy. Sue does not like comics or conjurers.................the chap this evening is a comedy magician :eek:

Sunday tomorrow..........that should mean starting the day with champagne & caviar again..........but, wait, we have an early tour in Casablanca................what difficult decisions we have to make daily on this cruise...................

Regards

Susan & David

Conversation of the day:

American lady: "The ship is rolling a bit today"

Susan: "It doesn't seem too bad"

American lady: "But it is a lot worse than yesterday"

Susan: "We were tied up in Port all day yesterday"

American lady: "I suppose that might make a difference"

Well we have done it. After discussions with the on-board cruise consultant, and negotiations by email and phone with our UK TA, we have booked a cruise for 2012 - along with two other couples we met on board.

So as well as enjoying the rest of this cruise we have another Regent experience to look forward to. :)

After Madeira yesterday, today was another day at sea.

Tour of the Bridge this morning - Captain Stan made it very informative and interesting. Apparently Regent are negotiating with three shipyards to get the best deal for their new build. On ship's propulsion, 'Pods' are out and traditional 'screws & rudders' are back in favour. The maintenance costs and reliability issues of pods apparently outweigh the fuel savings.

Following a fish lunch (including sardines from Madeira) it was on to bowling and then a putting challenge. We now have so many 'Regent Points' we must end up owning at least half the ship at the end of this cruise. ;)

Off to Signatures this evening and then a show which Sue will thoroughly enjoy. Sue does not like comics or conjurers.................the chap this evening is a comedy magician :eek:

Sunday tomorrow..........that should mean starting the day with champagne & caviar again..........but, wait, we have an early tour in Casablanca................what difficult decisions we have to make daily on this cruise...................

Regards

Susan & David

Conversation of the day:

American lady: "The ship is rolling a bit today"

Susan: "It doesn't seem too bad"

American lady: "But it is a lot worse than yesterday"

Susan: "We were tied up in Port all day yesterday"

American lady: "I suppose that might make a difference"

CLASSIC!

(Must've been a "landlubber"!

Don't get too excited about lots of "Regent points" - though well done you to have them! The "prizes" you get for them at the end of the cruise are usually not that great. Regent key rings, bookmarks etc. And the occasional vizor.

Archived