Recent IPAD Experiences??

mikjr

Just bought an Ipad2 this past summer and will be taking it on the Golden in September. I like games and usually take my handheld games consoles, Sony PSP and Nintendo DS Lite... PLUS all the games, and chargers, etc...

It will be nice to take ONE compact unit with games, books, photo manager, etc...

The question is... on previous posts, I have read mixed results from IPAD users while on board the ship, including the inability to connect to the ships WiFi, and constant disconnects.

I'm also assuming Facetime won't work!

I do have the WiFi unit and am curious if there is anyone with recent positive experiences with their Ipad and the ship's WiFi. any tips on connecting and staying connected would be appreciated.

Aloha Mike,

Both Leialoha and I use iPads on the ship....for both personal, (books,games,music) to surfing the web and taking care of emails and the like. I know a lot of people have said that they had problems with their pads, and connecting to the net, but neither of us have ever had much trouble. Facetime will work, BUT, I can almost guarantee that it would not be a satisfying experience, as we tend to find the wifi very slow on the ship. That is for both the pax and the crew wifi.

I also find it takes a couple of tries to get on as well...but never so bad that I would give up on it.

Aloha,

Dave

I have the IPad with 3G and used the 3G in port and the ship's WiFi during our Hawaii cruise. I was careful to log off each time and only occasionally had difficulties in getting access. I don't have Facetime. I love the ease of the IPad and of course, I was able to play games without logging on.

Haven't tried my iPad2 on a ship but around my home no question the signal I get is weaker than from my laptop. If you are on the ship and close to a base station I'd expect it to be good, wander further and I suspect a good laptop with better reception will likely drop less.

Just used my IPad 2 on both the Crown and Ocean. Wifi would not work on Crown B247 (had to go to one of the lounges), but worked almost perfectly on the Ocean except when we were in the far north and satellite reception was gone.

Bring it with you!

My iPad 3G+WiFi worked perfectly on the Caribbean Princess back in January. I had no problems signing in and out of the WiFi network in our cabin (B535) or out on our balcony. I took along my docking cradle and a small Bluetooth keyboard which made writing up emails a breeze.

Definitely take your iPad with you.

So let me see if I understand this: I can use my iPad onboard (without 3G?) and not have to pay for the internet usage from the internet cafe?

(Sorry -- I'm not a geek. :D)

No, you will connect, via wifi, to your shipboard account if you set one up. The charges will be to your shipboard account. If you do access the internet via wifi, make sure you log off so you won't incur any additional charges. To do this, simply type "1.1.1.1" in the address bar of your web browser.

Bob

I have the first generation ipad and used it on the Sapphire in E731 in December and January and had no problems with it. I also had my laptop and received the same level of signal with both devices.

No, you will connect, via wifi, to your shipboard account if you set one up. The charges will be to your shipboard account. If you do access the internet via wifi, make sure you log off so you won't incur any additional charges. To do this, simply type "1.1.1.1" in the address bar of your web browser.

Bob

Thanks!

Due to both cell (3G speeds are really meaningless onboard) and wi-fi traversing over relatively slow satellite links, any app's that expect "high-speed" data to work will either work poorly or actually be blocked (voip, video/music streaming, map/image downloading, etc). I'd imagine with all the metal onboard that getting a consistent wi-fi signal throughout the cabins is not guaranteed but haven't tried it myself (or I should say I did but could never get my smartphone (motorola android) to connect).

Bob

At least on Golden, you now connect to "logout.com" to logoff.

I had a fair amount of trouble with my iPad2 but did manage to use it with perseverance. I would frequently connect, get the successful message but then have it not actually connect to anything. I would either try logging in again or go to setting and toggle wifi on/off and then it tended to work.

I did use logout.com to disconnect and don't remember if I tried 1.1.1.1 just to see if it worked also.

• 5 months later...
Any "tech savvy" folks out there know if the "logout.com" or "1.1.1.1" commands work to log off the internet on a Kindle Fire? If not, what would one do to ensure a disconnect so that the internet meter does not continue to run?

I'm not sure if your Android device will disconnect with a logout.com.

To be on the safe side, after using logout.com on your browser, go to Settings > Wireless and Networks. If you are connected to a WiFi network, WiFi will have a green check mark.

Touch to disconnect. Touch again to reconnect to WiFi.

Archived