Once its all sailed and done.....

Ms. T

We've kept ours from 4 lines, but never from P&O......they say it's for security reasons...:confused:

Jo.

Security reason my a....

P&O were always cheap skates, they probably scratch out the names and reuse them.

Ron

PS All European lines allow you to keep the cards. At disembackation they are used to ensure that you have settled your onboard account and the last act is to swipe your card when leaving the ship after which you are persona non grata until your next cruise.

Ron

Sure, keep it. Hmmmm...I wonder what ships did, say, 30 years ago or so before electronic key cards? I wonder if they used metal keys?

The very first cruise we went on in 1983, we did, in fact, use a metal key. And you only used cash onboard. Couple years later, the room keys were a plastic card, but a bit smaller and thicker than the current sail & sign cards, and each one had a combination of holes punched in them to correspond with each room. They were very non-descript. If I recall correctly, cash was still used until the very late 80's or early 90's.

On Cunard, they keep it - but in exchange I got a 'World Club' card. Probably other lines are similar.

Hmm...I, too, had to turn in my card on Cunard, but I didn't get a "World Club" card. :(

I wonder if it was because it wasn't a 'world' cruise...just a one-time 3 night LA-Ensenada-LA cruise?

I really didn't want to give up that card because I doubt I'll ever sail again on Cunard. (not that there was anything wrong with the cruise...I just don't see us doing trans-atlantic or very long cruises)

Yea i don't know why it would be a security thing. On Celebrity they told me that once everyone is off the ship they deactivate all the cards before letting new pasengers on so it doesn't really matter if you have your card or not. I actually lost my card 2 days before disembarkment and was hesitant to get a new one as i didn't even have a credit card linked with it so was unsure if it was worth it but decided to get a new one anyway so i could keep it as a souvenir.

Hmm...I, too, had to turn in my card on Cunard, but I didn't get a "World Club" card. :(
You get a World Club card in the mail after your second cruise (when you reach Gold level). On our first cruise we got a letter the night before disembarkation welcoming us to CWC and telling us we were silver, but no card.

You get a World Club card in the mail after your second cruise (when you reach Gold level). On our first cruise we got a letter the night before disembarkation welcoming us to CWC and telling us we were silver, but no card.

Ahaaa...I recall getting something in the mail, but didn't pay much attention to it. I guess I should go thru the "I'll read this later" stack of papers...LOL...and see what it says.

Thanks.

Sure, keep it. Hmmmm...I wonder what ships did, say, 30 years ago or so before electronic key cards? I wonder if they used metal keys?

I don't know about 30 years ago but back in the 80's and 90's I don't remember having a key card. I may be wrong but I keep everything I can and scrapbook with my vacations and if we had one, I'm sure I would have kept it. I can remember whenever we would get a drink or something we had to pay for, you would sign a receipt. We have tons of receipts. :D

Archived