rude passengers on freedom

sheasey

I think we all have experiences where we hear that kind of stuff. I have just learned to ignore it. It's unfortunate of course, but it's their problem, not mine. I don't worry about anyone status. Oh and I like posting my cruise history because if it wasn't there, I couldn't remember them all LOL!

I have been on two cruise and about to go on the 3rd. I have the the past cruises in my signatures cause I like those ship things and if I make a post in reposne to question about a particular cruise and ship, folks can see that, oh ok he haqs been on that cruise and speak from my experience on that cruise or ship. I not experienced rude people that were rude to me, but I did see a guy that was drunk aS A skunk and was acting a total fool in one of the stores on the ship because he was trying to return something that they did not even sale on the ship. He was cussing the clerk out real bad. His poor wife was standing there looking so embarrased and she couldn't get him to calm down either. When he wouldn't cooperate and management couldn't talk to him without screaming and cussing, he left when secutirty was called.

Hmmmmm....interesting comments by people who exhibit their past and current cruising histories and plans openly here on these boards while criticizing others.

Personally, I thought this thread was about rude people, not about people who want to have fun on these boards. Posting accomplishments such as being fortunate enough to have many cruises is not being rude IMHO...any more than giving trophies and ribbons is to kids who've accomplished something in school. Everybody makes a statement about who they are by the way they dress and their personal preferences in cars, houses and possessions. Men usually question "What are you in?" or "What do you do?" so they can advertise how much they make or how important their line of work is. Women talk about their children and their accomplishments and what they have done to their homes or wear their fine dresses, baubles and gems for formal night. It's called ostentatiousness. All of these traits announce and advertise who you are. On the opposite side of the coin are those who complain that everyone must go to formal night dressed to the nines or they are barbarians and should be shunned in the MDR. Is there anything wrong with this? Maybe, but everyone does it in some way. And no, all of these things do not give anyone the right to treat others rudely or use them to complain or berate anyone. But the mere fact of posting your cruises or your position in the Crown and Anchor club doesn't make you rude.

To me its just a way of having fun before a cruise. And I am darn glad to be able to take advantage of the percs that come with loyalty to a cruise line. I'd be more inclined to say that there are rude people who say and do rude things and they just happen to be Diamond or whatever. But there are an equal number of people on here that are not Diamond and they can be as rude or ruder. That is their misfortune. When you point your finger at someone else, your thumb is still pointed at yourself...Just sayin.:cool: I stole the phrase I now have on my signature from someone else here because I admired it. I think it says it all.

My OH is very good at putting people in their place when they are trying to look better than you are.

We are silver surfers and have been on many cruises. But we never tell anyone what our status is.

On a recent cruise one passenger was flashing his gold card in the Diamond lounge as he had been upgraded from a balcony to a JS. He did this every night. One night OH nearly went and grabbed it off him to throw overboard.

I list all my cruises in my signature, not to get it in your face, but to add credibility when I answer another posters question. If a poster can see that I have cruised on the ship they are referring to, it sometimes helps them

Absolutely agreed! I had someone challenge me once on my list of past cruises - not that there are that many obviously, but why did I list them? For exactly the reasons you said. Thank you for speaking for me as well. :)

The status thing cracks me up. We are all on the swame boat. YEs some may hae better rooms but we are all the same people. Who cares if you are D or D+ or whatever. Lets just have fun. I laugh at the greater then thou people on ships throwing there status around.

Oh and I am so sick of hearing about the CL on this baord. Can we just give it a rest already? I am not at that level yet but I don't think I would even use that perk after having to hear about it so much. LOL

I don't put my cruises in my sig or my status because its my business and I don't need people to judge me on how many I have gone on or status.

I list all my cruises in my signature, not to get it in your face, but to add credibility when I answer another posters question. If a poster can see that I have cruised on the ship they are referring to, it sometimes helps them

Absolutely agreed! I had someone challenge me once on my list of past cruises - not that there are that many obviously, but why did I list them? For exactly the reasons you said. Thank you for speaking for me as well. :)

Good in theory but unfortunately, as we all know, there are many who post that like to embellish their signatures. I could give you a few examples of some very active posters that have made some "adjustments" to their signatures lately but it is not worth the time out I would receive.:eek:;):D

To the OP, you are going to run into rude people on every cruise. Try a member cruise some time if you want to run into a lot of overly self important people.:rolleyes: We met some wonderful cruisers on our member cruise last fall but we also met some that were just downright obnoxious about how many cruises they had been on, telling us we HAD to take certain cruises if we really wanted to know what a cruise is supposed to be.

...there are many who post that like to embellish their signatures. I could give you a few examples of some very active posters that have made some "adjustments" to their signatures lately...

Agreed, mema. I don't care for the "embellishments" either. ;) And yes I could hide the sigs but then I am often left floundering as I can't see what ship they are cruising on in future, in order to reply/help them with things.

Good in theory but unfortunately, as we all know, there are many who post that like to embellish their signatures. I could give you a few examples of some very active posters that have made some "adjustments" to their signatures lately but it is not worth the time out I would receive.:eek:;):D

To the OP, you are going to run into rude people on every cruise. Try a member cruise some time if you want to run into a lot of overly self important people.:rolleyes: We met some wonderful cruisers on our member cruise last fall but we also met some that were just downright obnoxious about how many cruises they had been on, telling us we HAD to take certain cruises if we really wanted to know what a cruise is supposed to be.

I have to agree with you on this. While I am sure the majority of the signatures are accurate I am equally sure many are embellished. It is kinda like saying someone with a gazillion posts is an expert. I sometime wonder if a few of these gazillion posters have even been on a ship in the last decade. That being said I think that after reading the boards for a while you can pretty much weed out the blow hards.

I could give you a few examples of some very active posters that have made some "adjustments" to their signatures lately but it is not worth the time out I would receive.:eek:;):D

LOL!!!!:D

I also did a members cruise one and NEVER again!! Way too many wanna be important people scrambling for top dog position!! I'd swear they eat their young.:p

Good in theory but unfortunately, as we all know, there are many who post that like to embellish their signatures. I could give you a few examples of some very active posters that have made some "adjustments" to their signatures lately but it is not worth the time out I would receive.:eek:;):D snipped...

Seriously? :confused: It would never dawn on me that anyone's signature wouldn't be accurate. I guess I must be really naive.

When we are on a ship, we don't mention what our status is or isn't. However, there are times on here that I do mention it. I don't do it often, but sometimes I feel by mentioning our status lends more credence to what I am posting.

I don't see why some people feel the need to be-rate the employees. I guess that because we worked for everything we have, that we understand how hard they work and are nothing but polite and courteous to them. My father taught me that "you get more flies with honey, than you do vinegar." I guess we don't have the need to feel more important than they are.

There are rude, obnoxious people in all walks of life. I show cats as a hobby and one year at the annual awards banquet there was an extremely obnoxious guy who had the highest scoring cat that year. He was all decked out in a fancy white tux while his wife had an expensive white beaded gown (the cat was white) - well, apparently the proper champagne was not delivered to their table and he was fuming. Went over to the bartender (we were seated nearby) and carried on something fierce - ending with "don't you know who I am - I have cat of the year!" Well, the poor bartender just stared at him while we were doubled over laughing.

OTOH, we were seated with an older British couple on our last cruise who had very obviously been on many, many cruises. They knew the conscierge quite well and told us they would not be dining with us on formal night - seems they were at the captain's table which was right next to ours. They never once mentioned how many cruises they had been on or what their level was. The only way we knew they lived on a large estate was when we inquired about their pets and who was caring for them - yes, several large dogs and the caretakers and housekeepers looked after them - but just matter of factly, no bragging whatsoever. That's class.

I don't list cruises either - just because I never quite figured out how to do it when I joined and just never bothered thereafter. It is good to know someone's status as it often lends credence to their responses to various questions.

I think this status thing is all quite silly. People could be bragging about their status and it wouldnt mean a thing to me. I would be looking at them with a blank face.:p

Those people are the minority of a minority. Normally I can just laugh them off because even the crew know they are in the minority and they just smile till they can get on to the next reasonable passenger. The only time a rude passenger actually bothered me was a guy who was in line ahead of me at the excursions desk on Navigator. I think his problem was the same as mine that his excursion was canceled once we were on shore. Even if it was preventable and even if the cruise line could have prevented the situation, which in this case they couldn't, it wasn't the poor girl at the desk's fault. The guy threw such a temper tantrum to embarass me standing behind him. I think I stepped further back so nobody would think I was with him. The agent was a german national, and I think I even said to her, I hope you know we aren't all like that.

Good in theory but unfortunately, as we all know, there are many who post that like to embellish their signatures. I could give you a few examples of some very active posters that have made some "adjustments" to their signatures lately but it is not worth the time out I would receive.

You are absolutely correct. I know for a fact this happens. The worst are the ones who add a fictional cruise in order to complain about a cruise line....for the purpose of cheerleading another. Yes, there are stupid people like that on these boards.

Exactly. Cruise Critic advertises itself as "A community of people who love to cruise." Displaying cruises in the signature is no different than displaying your pride and joy wheels on a classic car site. My signature is to add credibility to my posts, but moreso it's to display how much I love cruising. If people are offended or think it's bragging, they really should do themselves a favor and turn off signatures, and save themselves from getting an ulcer.

Exactly. Cruise Critic advertises itself as "A community of people who love to cruise." Displaying cruises in the signature is no different than displaying your pride and joy wheels on a classic car site. My signature is to add credibility to my posts, but moreso it's to display how much I love cruising. If people are offended or think it's bragging, they really should do themselves a favor and turn off signatures, and save themselves from getting an ulcer.

Very well put, Paul. I never understand some folks disdain for signatures which include cruising history. It is, after all, a cruise based website. Maybe it's jealousy.

Honestly, if I see a big long signature I don't assume that person as any more credibility than anyone else. It just says they've been on a lot of cruises. Every opinion is different and just because you cruise a lot, doesn't mean that how you interpret things is any more credible than anyone else. Just my opinion!

There are rude people everywhere (including these boards!). It's annoying, but you just need to either step up and say something or ignore them and walk away. Some people will never be happy no matter how much they have!

LOL!

I am so glad not to be the only person who notices people randomly announcing their 'status' in their posts on these boards and it is so funny. I truly get a giggle out of it because you can tell it makes them feel so important and is such a status symbol to them.

We know someone who brags their status/number of cruises every chance they get. We made a game out of counting how many times Diamond (at first), now Diamond+, was mentioned at a sitting. I think the record was 12 during dinner one night. Was very polite, though, to the crew.

I don't list our cruises either and have my options set to not list them on the forum posts to save time. Never thought about the "creditibility" issue, though, being helpful. However, one can look at the number of posts and get a general idea that someone with a lot of posts has probably been to the rodeo before on whatever cruise line forum they are on and can give a good response.

Tucker in Texas

We know someone who brags their status/number of cruises every chance they get. We made a game out of counting how many times Diamond (at first), now Diamond+, was mentioned at a sitting. I think the record was 12 during dinner one night. Was very polite, though, to the crew.

I don't list our cruises either and have my options set to not list them on the forum posts to save time. Never thought about the "creditibility" issue, though, being helpful. However, one can look at the number of posts and get a general idea that someone with a lot of posts has probably been to the rodeo before on whatever cruise line forum they are on and can give a good response.

Tucker in Texas

In most cases I agree, then there are those (names withheld) with 10's of thousands of posts that constantly throw out wrong information.

I don't list my cruises, too lazy and I figure it's no one elses business. I've been on more than some and fewer than others...no big deal. I don't often read others lengthy lists of cruises...don't care. Once in a while when I do I'm amazed at how many people only cruise one line, or go to one place all the time, doesn't that get boring?

It astounds me though, the rudeness of people. Why in the heck do you want to be rude to a person who is there to help you? Do people actually think they get something from being demanding or rude? One of my jobs is in customer service and I bend over backwards for people who are nice to me, the rude demanding ones I just want to get rid of them.

I've seen some fairly rude behavior on ships. A woman loudly complaining to the Guest Relations desk that there was no vanilla ice cream (really, I swear). A man complaining loudly about children in the vicinity of his table, the kids were far more well behaved than he, I felt so sorry for his travel companions. There was a man on CC once who complained on and on that his toast was cold, I envisioned the wait staff jumping over tables trying to get his warm toast to him.

I try to be nice and treat people the way I'd want to be treated. Even though I'm ____ with RCI points the only perk we care about is a balcony discount. I don't even tell my family/friends about that. What is the big deal?

Archived