What Silversea Needs

Observer

The other luxury lines have all day cafes where one can get a coffee or snack. It's Seaboun Square (guess which line!) or Bistro (Crystal) or Coffee Corner (I think that's the name) on Regent.

Silversea has no such spot (I have not been on Spirit).

Why not provide some modest refreshment with staff assistance from dawn to dusk in the (underused) Observation Lounge. One could go there all day for morning pastry or a small (pre-made) sandwich/cake in the afternoon.

Currently, if one is feeling a bit hungry in the afternoon one has few choices: pool grill, room service, or wait for afternoon tea at 4 pm.

Thoughts?

I agree it would be easy enough to install such a facility in the Observation Lounge. The only problem is that ti would change the nature of that lounge from a quiet retreat to a busy gathering place. Whether that's good or bad is an individual preference. Silversea is an Italian line. They should look to the new Oceania Marina and its cafe called Barristas where one can get all sorts of coffee preparations all day long prepared by Italian barristas.

Observer, your suggestion is a good one.

We enjoy the Bistro on the Crystal ships. It provides a nice place to enjoy coffee, tea or other beverages and a light snack but on top of this provides a nice meeting place like you may have in a small town.

As Henry notes to do this on the Observation Lounge would change this up quite a bit as it would go from being a cozy/quiet lounge to something quite different. Would be a nice addition to any newer ship.

Keith

I very much enjoyed some solitude in the Observation Lounge. Even on a full cruise (Spirit), there was never anyone else there when I went in. A great place to read or just look out and take in the view. On the morning of disembarkation I had breakfast and then waited up there, in peace and tranquility, for 90 minutes until 'Dark Blue' was called. It was very pleasant to just enjoy that last hour and a half of vacation before returning to the insanity of Real Life.

I'd rather see this idea introduced as a new space on a new ship, rather than have the Obs. Lounge turned into a café.

but you know what they say about the word,,,assume....

Was thinking of taking a SS cruise next June,,but I d really miss my mid am cappucino,,,and snack...

Know I don t NEED it,,but nice treat...sounds like something that SHOULD be added SOMEWHERE...:confused:

You will have no problem finding a coffee in the mid am. The Panorama Lounge serves coffee all day long from 6.30am. You can get coffee at the Pool Bar from 8am. Depending what time you consider to be 'mid am' and what sort of snack you want, you will probably also be able to get that in one of the public lounges or bars, if not there is always room service.

The OP's point was more that there isn't a coffee shop/cafe type set up, rather than a bar/lounge, which serves snacks etc in the mid afternoon.

We are die-hard Silversea fans, but sailed on the Odyssey last year, and LOVED the Seabourn Square. Would love to see that sort of feature on Silversea ships. Have mentioned it to several corporate types...

Hello, DebbieH103 - we don't presume to know how everyone else thinks, but we did not like that 'The Bar' was so close and centrally located to the Reception and the lobby areas. It is lovely, but it is much more transient, if that is the correct term, and it's teal color didn't seem to gel with the rest of the decor. Last year, 'The Bar' seemed to serve as a pass-through for the 500 numbered cabins. On our Venice-Athens trip, it never seemed to be the gathering place that 'The Bar' on other ships is. We love 'The Bar' on other ships. This one just seems out of place somehow. We did note on the Shadow last month that the teal color scheme is now in place, although with the placement more removed, it was not as glaring. Of course, that is our opinion only.

Disagree with OP, this is just what Silversea does not need.

The Panorama always has fresh fruit and danish pastries available until 11am, and the bar staff will always make a cup of coffee, and find some cookies if you are still peckish.

The bar staff on the pool deck will also do the same if asked, morning and afternoon.

And as for the Observation Lounge, lets keep it as a quiet retreat.

Hello, DebbieH103 - we don't presume to know how everyone else thinks, but we did not like that 'The Bar' was so close and centrally located to the Reception and the lobby areas. It is lovely, but it is much more transient, if that is the correct term, and it's teal color didn't seem to gel with the rest of the decor. Last year, 'The Bar' seemed to serve as a pass-through for the 500 numbered cabins. On our Venice-Athens trip, it never seemed to be the gathering place that 'The Bar' on other ships is. We love 'The Bar' on other ships. This one just seems out of place somehow. We did note on the Shadow last month that the teal color scheme is now in place, although with the placement more removed, it was not as glaring. Of course, that is our opinion only.

Could not agree with you more on the Bar set up on the Spirit. Transient is the right word. No intimacy at all!

As the OP, I will take the liberty of weighing in again (non argumentatively!).

I have no particular brief for the Observation Lounge (though if it is as quiet as some posters say, perhaps it would be good to get a few more guests into this fairly out-of-the-way place.

I understand that coffee is available in the Panorama. However, they certainly do not advertise all day coffee there. I do not know how much trouble it is for the staff to make specialty coffees; is there a machine in the back?

More importantly, to my mind, is the lack of snacks. If one stays with Panorama, is it too much to ask to have some plates of cookies out all day and in the afternoon perhaps some of the sandwiches that will be served at tea? I know there is room service; however, I just want something quick and light and would be reluctant to place an order. I know too that there is the pool grill, until 4 pm. However, even on Silversea, there is rain, wind, cold, etc., making the pool grill an unattractive venue.

Some cookies and finger sandwiches and other light snacks all day in Panorama?

Observer, like your idea..but before they do anything to the very nice Observation Lounge they need to install bathrooms (yep, Observation Lounge has no bathrooms) in the next Spirit drydock (frustrating for us to have to trudge down to the pool deck (two decks down)) to use the facilities after mid morning coffee or before dinner drinks.

Observer, like your idea..but before they do anything to the very nice Observation Lounge they need to install bathrooms (yep, Observation Lounge has no bathrooms) in the next Spirit drydock (frustrating for us to have to trudge down to the pool deck (two decks down)) to use the facilities after mid morning coffee or before dinner drinks.

Perhaps the lack of toilets is Silversea's way of discouraging excessive consumption of liquids in the Spirit Observation Lounge. :)

While I would beg Silversea to keep the Observation Lounge as it is - a peaceful haven to read, look out at the view, or do nothing - and not turn it into a Starbucks (heaven forbid) at sea, I do like the idea of a coffee and snacks area.

I have just checked my Chronicles, and was interested to see that it states :

0700am-5.00pm - Coffee, Tea, Soft Drinks - Observation Lounge.

This was on Spirit, and we had no sea days. But as I mentioned earlier, at the times I was in there it was self serve drinks and I do not recall the coffee machine being one that would make cappucino or latte, for those that want those coffees. I believe that made plain filter coffee only. And I definitely don't remember seeing any snacks like finger sandwiches. They may have had some biscuits (cookies) available, but no sandwiches.

I did notice the lack of snacks in the afternoon. There's no need for anyone to go hungry on SS,ever, of course, but I do agree that it would be nice to get a finger sandwich or other small savoury items in the afternoon, without having to go for full afternoon tea or order room service, or wait until 6.30pm for canapés at the bar. Those of us in the lower echelon suites don't get canapés delivered by our Butler. :D

We tend to have a little nap for an hour or so in the early evening then eat dinner or supper quite late, and on the days when lunch is taken early it can be a long gap until dinner is actually served close to 9.30pm.

So, to reiterate, I'm a YES for the suggestion but not in the Observation Lounge, please. I think Panorama would be perfect for it, even on poor weather days one can enjoy the view.

Silversea announced almost a year ago that restrooms will be built near the Observation Lounge on the Spirit during it's first drydock. One less thing to think about.

A nice, modern machine (that makes lattes, cappucinos, espresso, etc) with a small display of sweets and finger sandwiches would be a nice addition to the ships. Coffee isn't something that one drinks at a certain time.. . it needs it needs to be available 24/7 and would require maintenance a few times a day. It could fit in a small space -- perhaps the Observation Lounge would work as it would not necessarily attract crowds.

On the Spirit, there is a small enclosed area just aft of the pool, one deck up. The stair case goes up there, and I believe there are also doors to the outside deck. It is never used. We had actually hoped they would put the table tennis table in there to avoid annoying other passengers and be sheltered from the wind. Unfortunately, one time the owner was on board when the table was in there, and he didn't like it. Maybe that would be a good place for a very small coffee bar.

Victoria (Emtbsam) we love that aft area on deck 8 (in the early a.m., I stretch my runs going up/down the stairwell, then crossing starboard to port). Also, very nice area to enjoy a good book with your favorite beverage.

Victoria (Emtbsam) we love that aft area on deck 8 (in the early a.m., I stretch my runs going up/down the stairwell, then crossing starboard to port). Also, very nice area to enjoy a good book with your favorite beverage.

Hi Wes -That area on Deck 8 is a favorite of Wellseasoned also. I'm referring to an enclosed area on Deck 10 - the deck above the pool - just to the aft of the pool.

WinWin, on the maiden voyage of Spirit, tons of activity was at the bar. They served food and drink all day and people were there all the time. Granted most people thought it was too cold for the pool deck. The second time on that ship, as you said, it was a pass through to the cabins beyond the doors but that is because they stopped serving and making it fun. It was completely fabulous when they first opened it. It was our favorite feature of the ship on the first sailing.

Hi, Debbie - we really need to experience the Spirit now that it has aged & 'settled in' - as I mentioned, it was our one experience only, and the ship was very new. I am glad to hear that The Bar may now be 'The Place' that we run to on every other ship!

Disagree with OP, this is just what Silversea does not need.

The Panorama always has fresh fruit and danish pastries available until 11am, and the bar staff will always make a cup of coffee, and find some cookies if you are still peckish.

The bar staff on the pool deck will also do the same if asked, morning and afternoon.

And as for the Observation Lounge, lets keep it as a quiet retreat.

Total agreement with your comments.SS is meant to be different to the other lines thats the attraction.

Archived