Pacific Coast Wine cruise

beebee

Has anyone done this cruise? It sounds very interesting!

Would love some feedback and opinions from anyone who has done this cruise.

Thanks!

We did one a few years ago on the Mercury and had a wonderful time. Last month we did a seven-night California Coastal cruise on the Sapphire. While it wasn't billed as a wine trip, we made it just that ourselves by renting a car and hitting all the wine regions we could. Great time.

We've done the West Coast "Wine" Cruise on the Millennium twice. Southbound, Vancouver to Los Angeles and Northbound, San Diego to Vancouver. We spent two days in San Francisco on each cruise and single days in Seattle and Victoria. Also visited Nanaimo BC, Astoria OR, Monterrey CA and Catalina CA. There's so much to see in the larger cities and and all of them speak a common language and use the same currency:D. San Francisco was clearly our favorite and had so much to see and do! I would certainly recommend taking a tour in SF from one of the local tour companies. The tour we took was one of the best excursions we ever had. Also, it's really something to pass under the Golden Gate Bridge and it's free!!

I'm hoping that the Celebrity Solstice does this in early 2013 after she repositions from her Down Under itineraries. Her last known port of debarkation is Ensenada so it makes sense she'll cruise up the coast on her way to Alaska. But this is all speciation of course. ;)

I was on Century in May from San Diego up to Vancouver. It was a

repositioning and we stopped in San Francisco for 2 days:D

There are many tour choices (too many;)). Astoria, Oregon is a beautiful

seaside town too. I went on a seafood/wine excursion there and it

was a lot of fun.:)

I'm hoping that the Celebrity Solstice does this in early 2013 after she repositions from her Down Under itineraries. Her last known port of debarkation is Ensenada so it makes sense she'll cruise up the coast on her way to Alaska. But this is all speciation of course. ;)

She's scheduled to do the Ensenada/Hawaii run.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/plancruise/singleThumbTxtSub.do?pagename=new_deployment

We wish that was the fact of Soltice next cruise after Ensenada ,MX in May 2013:rolleyes:.It just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to have be bused through TJ & it is a 2 hour bus ride to the SD airport :o.SD port makes a lot more sense than Ensenada unless they are heading Soltice back around the Horn & puting in several South America cruises on her,before she is back to Ft Lauderdale:rolleyes::eek:.

We wish that was the fact of Soltice next cruise after Ensenada ,MX in May 2013:rolleyes:.It just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to have be bused through TJ & it is a 2 hour bus ride to the SD airport :o.SD port makes a lot more sense than Ensenada unless they are heading Soltice back around the Horn & puting in several South America cruises on her,before she is back to Ft Lauderdale:rolleyes::eek:.

She can't disembark in SD after the Hawaii cruise, it would violate the PVSA. She could three things IMO, head back to Hawaii, Coastal from Ensenada to Seattle then start Alaska or head down to South America, which I believe is not in season ..so A or B are the most likely.

We've done the West Coast "Wine" Cruise on the Millennium twice. Southbound, Vancouver to Los Angeles and Northbound, San Diego to Vancouver. We spent two days in San Francisco on each cruise and single days in Seattle and Victoria. Also visited Nanaimo BC, Astoria OR, Monterrey CA and Catalina CA. There's so much to see in the larger cities and and all of them speak a common language and use the same currency:D. San Francisco was clearly our favorite and had so much to see and do! I would certainly recommend taking a tour in SF from one of the local tour companies. The tour we took was one of the best excursions we ever had. Also, it's really something to pass under the Golden Gate Bridge and it's free!!

We were on Millinneium this past May ,10 night wine cruise & it was a fabulous cruise along with those 2 days in SF ,then Astoria ,kSeattle ,Victoria & Vancouver (oh we did stop in Catalina island on the way to SF) :D:D:D. We took the HoHO bus for 2 days at $35 each & imo that is the best way to see SF .we also had a authentic chinese lunch in china town .We just got off the HOHO bus 7 walked a short way for lunch .then back on the HOHO bus;):)

• 4 months later...
We are taking Millenium Pacific Coast Wine Cruise in Sept. Would you recommend wine tour in San Francisco provided by the ship or a private company?

We're signed up for that one too -- I think it's going to be a great cruise! :D

If you haven't checked out our roll-call thread yet, I've posted the link below -- should take you to the latest page. :cool:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1395607&page=26

We are taking Millenium Pacific Coast Wine Cruise in Sept. Would you recommend wine tour in San Francisco provided by the ship or a private company?

There are quite a few companies whose prices are substantially less than Celebrity's. We went with Wine Country Shuttle and would recommend. Many others Have recommended Terrific Tours.

Private companies (assuming you do a little research and choose a good one) are almost always much better than cruise line excursions. In addition to often being a lot cheaper, private companies often do much smaller tours so you receive more individual attention from the guide, have more flexibility in the itinerary, and are able to move at a faster place. You also do not stop at forced shopping destinations where the store is giving the cruise line a kickback in exchange for stopping there. I have booked with Best Bay Area Tours for a Napa & Sonoma excursion for my cruise next month.

beebee...We met on the Constellation this past Feb... for the Curacao play porto marie day! Tammy and Mike. My friend Elise and I did the LA to Vancouver on the Sapphire (Princess) last May and are doing the LA loop one this October...both wine country cruises...we loved it.

The ports are really nice, a very port intensive cruise, but a lot of fun. Email me with any specific questions: tamk625@aol.com

Tammy

• 2 weeks later...

I have a little problem which you might be able to answer. As the ship is in SFO two days, it would be wise to take a private wine tour the first day to avoid problem with return to ship late on the second day. However, the ship does not allow debarking until 11 AM on day one (I wonder if this is to avoid private wine tours). As most of the tours are 8 hour affairs, what does one do? Do they have shorter tours to Napa?

We did the Vancouver to SanDiego a few years ago (amazing cruise) on the Mercury. On the first day in SF, we contracted with a private limo to take us to Napa. We were there for about 5 hours or better. Came back to the port area and had dinner with friends on the pier. The next day we did alot of sightseeing (Alcatraz), etc. Great city!

We just booked yesterday on the Century's 9-26-13 Vancouver to San Diego wine cruise. We have one full day in SF and so a wine private tour might work there easily. Will check out these suggestions. On this one, the 2 day stay is in Seattle.

Sounds like a lovely itinerary...look forward to reading the reviews when these 2012 ones return.

Archived