Is it best to perhaps just follow cruise ship rules?

Gordie Howe

OK. I'm a real smuggler! I don't normally go around breaking rules--except speeding with no traffic around :). I also seldom cruise but once found a great price for a 5 day cruise out of Tampa with liquor restrictions. Because I had a left over bottle of wine from the previous week in FL, I decided to pack it in my luggage and take on board. Normally this cruise line would not have cared but unbeknownst to me it was spring break. It's unbelievable how many kids have cruise funding.

My suitcase didn't arrive in our cabin so I called and was told I needed to come to service desk to claim. They said there that they saw "something" on the scanner and would I please open the bag. I started to explain as I unzipped the bag that I knew what they had seen but the person there just said. Oh, don't bother opening it. You're OK. I know it was only because I was a 60 year old female. Too funny! Not what they were expecting on spring break.

JMO but.....

They had every reasonable expectation their guests would follow the rules they agreed to when they purchased their cruise. I think that is what they expect from us on all cruises.

JMO but.....

They had every reasonable expectation their guests would follow the rules they agreed to when they purchased their cruise. I think that is what they expect from us on all cruises.

Well, obviously not since they did not confiscate it when I offered to dig it out.

Some people seem to be a little too self-rightous (guilty?). As a previous poster stated, everyone has broken a rule at one time or another. Just try to live doing the best you can.

Well, obviously not since they did not confiscate it when I offered to dig it out.

Some people seem to be a little too self-rightous (guilty?). As a previous poster stated, everyone has broken a rule at one time or another. Just try to live doing the best you can.

I posted this earlier in this thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sail7seas viewpost.gif

Yes, I think it reasonable to say at some point in everyone's life they have broken a rule or law whether knowingly or not. If caught, there is usually a penalty.

When people smuggle liquor aboard, they do not pay the penalty..... everyone else does. The worst penalty I've ever heard the offender incurs is loss of the contraband.

Just for the record, since I understand your post to imply otherwise, we have never brought any liquor or anything else aboard a ship that is not permitted. Not even when we board very close to our home and could easily carry heavy liquor.

Just for the record, since I understand your post to imply otherwise, we have never brought any liquor or anything else aboard a ship that is not permitted. Not even when we board very close to our home and could easily carry heavy liquor.

Never implied anything of the sort. Sorry you misunderstood. I was referring to ALL rules EVERYWHERE and I am sure you have broken some too. The end!

I try to obey the cruise line's rules. But on our last cruise, I did bring back a bottle of rum punch past the security table where they were collecting liquor. I did not feel like hassling with checking it with them. We did not drink it on board.

No, we don't. I respectfully disagree.

If you speed and are caught, you will pay a penalty.

If you illegally park and are caught, you will be ticketed.

If you sneak liquor aboard just because you think it's stupid rule, the rest of us pay a penalty. Our fares are higher, our drink prices are higher...... we pay for others rule breaking same as consumers pay for all the shoplifters. No different.

So the cruise lines increased our cost for food because we were sneaking food on board? Or because they were trying to squeeze additional profit out of us? I never saw anyone sneaking a steak on board. The truth is if they have a monopoly on liquor they can charge whatever they want, that's why they have a "rule." The fact that so many of you defend those rules is what's wrong with this country. There used to be rules stating that Black people were not citizens. and people who didn't own land could not vote. Would you support those rules too, just because they were rules? Or do you also apply a common sense test to them? We have a brain for a reason. We should use it. There are no absolutes in this world.

If you sneak liquor aboard just because you think it's stupid rule, the rest of us pay a penalty. Our fares are higher, our drink prices are higher...... we pay for others rule breaking same as consumers pay for all the shoplifters. No different.

This. I haven't even been on my first cruise yet, but for some reason all this talk of smuggling really bothers me. It's like, if everyone did it, cruise lines would probably go out of business.

Oh, come on, folks! Can't we lighten up?!

Really, none of us are saints. We have all -- every single one of us -- coasted through a stop sign, or brought a contraband candy bar into a movie theater, or otherwise bent the rules. I bet many of you have even flat-out lied when your wife asked you "does this dress make my ass look fat?"

So you are potentially a criminal, a thief, and a liar. I really don't care!!

It is absolutely ridiculous to equate smuggling a candy bar or drink, to breaking and entering.

Seriously, people. Get a life.

Amen!!

So the cruise lines increased our cost for food because we were sneaking food on board? Or because they were trying to squeeze additional profit out of us? I never saw anyone sneaking a steak on board. The truth is if they have a monopoly on liquor they can charge whatever they want, that's why they have a "rule." The fact that so many of you defend those rules is what's wrong with this country. There used to be rules stating that Black people were not citizens. and people who didn't own land could not vote. Would you support those rules too, just because they were rules? Or do you also apply a common sense test to them? We have a brain for a reason. We should use it. There are no absolutes in this world.

This post is quite amusing!!! The poster seems to think that bringing booze aboard is a God given right that the cruise lines are oppressing. Fact is, the cruise line owns the ship you are boarding. It is a private firm, and their private ship, and they can make whatever rules they want for what ever reason they want. It is not a democratic society - it is a privately owned entity. If you book with them you have agreed to abide by their rules and policies, whatever they may be. You have no right to decide what rule is worth observing or breaking. You gave up that right when you agreed to book with them.

I simply can't understand why this concept is so hard for some people to accept. :confused:

And to correct you on one important point - what is wrong with this country is not that people respect the rules. What is wrong is that there are too many self absorbed people who do whatever they want, to hell with the rules.

This post is quite amusing!!! The poster seems to think that bringing booze aboard is a God given right that the cruise lines are oppressing. Fact is, the cruise line owns the ship you are boarding. It is a private firm, and their private ship, and they can make whatever rules they want for what ever reason they want. It is not a democratic society - it is a privately owned entity. If you book with them you have agreed to abide by their rules and policies, whatever they may be. You have no right to decide what rule is worth observing or breaking. You gave up that right when you agreed to book with them.

I simply can't understand why this concept is so hard for some people to accept. :confused:

And to correct you on one important point - what is wrong with this country is not that people respect the rules. What is wrong is that there are too many self absorbed people who do whatever they want, to hell with the rules.

I hadn't noticed that fellow's comment about what is wrong with the country! Wow. I mean, he's wrong, but Holy Moly!!!

Extremely well said. I couldn't agree with you more.

To add to it, several people have said none of us are saints, we have all gone a mile or two over the speed limit, perhaps unintentionally, etc.

But.... an important but... buying devices (rumrunners)so one can sneak booze on? That is not a slight infraction. That is a deliberate act to allow breaking someone else's perfectly legal and ethical rules. And asking what the policies are, and then saying, what the heck, I don't have to follow those policies. Again, that is not accidental or unintentional, it is deliberate.

When talking with my Carnival PVP for a few days before booking trying to get all of my questions answered I asked ... Am I allowed to bring any other alcohol besides the wine on board? His response. ... The policy says no BUT there are alot of creative things people are doing to get alcohol on board and if you look on the internet it won't be hard to find. And guess what ... it wasn't! So it looks like I will be in the minority on this thread but I will be taking my PVP's "advice" and saving a few bucks on my bar bill (which i'm sure will still be hefty) unless ofcourse I get the drinks confiscated at which time I plan to continue to have a wonderful cruise and not be concerned with the loss. And for Mr John Q whoever ... oh who cares im sure you will disagree and we will never agree to disagree. :D

When talking with my Carnival PVP for a few days before booking trying to get all of my questions answered I asked ... Am I allowed to bring any other alcohol besides the wine on board? His response. ... The policy says no BUT there are alot of creative things people are doing to get alcohol on board and if you look on the internet it won't be hard to find. And guess what ... it wasn't! So it looks like I will be in the minority on this thread but I will be taking my PVP's "advice" and saving a few bucks on my bar bill (which i'm sure will still be hefty) unless ofcourse I get the drinks confiscated at which time I plan to continue to have a wonderful cruise and not be concerned with the loss. And for Mr John Q whoever ... oh who cares im sure you will disagree and we will never agree to disagree. :D

It scares me sometimes when I guess right about certain things. The first thing I saw on your post was your user name - raiderg68. Then I looked to see where you were from - San Jose, CA - Raiders country. I immediately thought "A Raiders fan. I'll bet he's in support of smuggling booze". And sure enough, you do. Figures! You Raiders guys are so predictable!! :rolleyes:

It scares me sometimes when I guess right about certain things. The first thing I saw on your post was your user name - raiderg68. Then I looked to see where you were from - San Jose, CA - Raiders country. I immediately thought "a Raiders fan? I'll bet he's in support of smuggling booze". And sure enough, he does. Figures! You Raiders guys are so predictable!! :rolleyes:

Thats hilarious because i assumed someone like you who would stereotype someone by their username or their location would be the 1st to make a (on this thread anyway) predictable comment. Give me a break and before you continue being so "saintly" realize how foolish you just made yourself look by what you posted. This "Raider guy" is about to punch the clock and go have an unsmuggled beer just as you assumed im sure

Extremely well said. I couldn't agree with you more.

To add to it, several people have said none of us are saints, we have all gone a mile or two over the speed limit, perhaps unintentionally, etc.

But.... an important but... buying devices (rumrunners)so one can sneak booze on? That is not a slight infraction. That is a deliberate act to allow breaking someone else's perfectly legal and ethical rules. And asking what the policies are, and then saying, what the heck, I don't have to follow those policies. Again, that is not accidental or unintentional, it is deliberate.

Good. I do not own a roadrunner, so I am fine!!!!

One is rules violation

the other is a crime

Wake up

Also lock it up

Really!

If they are both wrong, why condone either one of them?

"Also lock it up"

In other words - Hurry up before they tighten up security and ruin my chances of smuggling!

:(

...there is no doubt in my mind that you have been playing hockey far too long without your helmet!!!!:D

You my friend are going to the Sin-Bin for 2, unsportsmanlike conduct!

And no smuggling of ... whatever is in that water bottle!!

:p

Thats hilarious because i assumed someone like you who would stereotype someone by their username or their location would be the 1st to make a (on this thread anyway) predictable comment. Give me a break and before you continue being so "saintly" realize how foolish you just made yourself look by what you posted. This "Raider guy" is about to punch the clock and go have an unsmuggled beer just as you assumed im sure

I lived in San Jose for over thirty years. I know all about Raider fans. My assumption is well founded, in spite of how you want to spin this.

As to sounding foolish, that award belongs to you, a person who readily admits that he will break the rules to suit himself. Not much of a character reference in that admission. And I speak as a "saintly" (and don't forget "smug" and "self righteous") stereotyper who has never felt the need to sneak alcohol onto a cruise ship.

Archived