Bring Your Own Life Preserver?

ViolaSwamp

:p

I got a new life preserver this morning - NOT for our cruise, but for our canoe in the summertime :D. ANYWAY, my mind got to wandering (as it often does), and I was pondering, has anyone ever seen someone bring their own life preserver onboard a cruise?

Again - I have ZERO plans to bring mine, I was wondering if other people bring theirs for whatever reason... would seem kind of odd to me, but I'd imagine someone out there does this?

I imagine there are folks who do this....I would never lug one when there are PLENTY on the ship! And, it's not like you're going to wear it 24/7, so what good would having your own do you?

We did actually see an older gentleman who wore his all the time....why did he even cruise, if he was that afraid, I don't know, but, there you have it!

The life jacket I have for canoing and kayaking is good for a dip in the lake. However I don't think it would stand a chance for a prolonged dip in the ocean. The life jackets they have on the cruise vessels are made for ocean use... (even have a light).... I'll stick with the ships vests!

Why not go all the way and bring your canoe?

Yes! :p

If you read my post, I hope you saw where I clearly said I have NO plans to bring my own, I was just wondering if anyone else had seen such activity (which I would consider funny...).

:p

I got a new life preserver this morning - NOT for our cruise, but for our canoe in the summertime :D. ANYWAY, my mind got to wandering (as it often does), and I was pondering, has anyone ever seen someone bring their own life preserver onboard a cruise?

Again - I have ZERO plans to bring mine, I was wondering if other people bring theirs for whatever reason... would seem kind of odd to me, but I'd imagine someone out there does this?

I am pretty confident that I will be able to get a life preserver on board.

However, not so for a parachute, so I bring my own.:rolleyes:

I have four Type IV vests on my sailboat, but the thought of shlepping one with me is way beyond the pale. There are almost twice as many on board as they need, if not indeed twice as many. There are vests in your cabin, and there are vests at the lifeboat stations as well.

Notwithstanding the recent actions of the captain of the Costa Concordia, I think there are enough aboard, and should the worst happen, your first choice should be to get onto a lifeboat and not need the life vest.

A good Type IV vest is going to take up most of a suitcase, and depending on your airline, that could cost you a lot to take along.

I realize the OP said he wasn't going to do it, and though there must be some that take them along, it must only be a certain fringe element who I shall not define further.

I usually bring my snorkel vest with me when I will be snorkeling. Maybe I should wear it all the time but do I wear it over or under the parachute?

Wear your wetsuit under your kevlar vest (for protection from muggers and such), then your snorkel vest, and finally your parachute, and top it off with a motorcycle helmet.

That should just about take care of all possible situations.

On formal nights, just add a tie.

I don't know how the cuiselines would react to your bringing your own life preserver (if you are serious), but for the wag that suggested bringing a parachute---I can assure you that unless it was in checked baggage, that would be a sure way to be denied boarding any airline at best, and at worst, be detained for some serious questioning by the ever vigilant TSA.;)

I don't know how the cuiselines would react to your bringing your own life preserver (if you are serious), but for the wag that suggested bringing a parachute---I can assure you that unless it was in checked baggage, that would be a sure way to be denied boarding any airline at best, and at worst, be detained for some serious questioning by the ever vigilant TSA.;)

Never had a problem bringing my parachute on a plane.

I also ask for the emergency exit seat.;)

I have four Type IV vests on my sailboat, but the thought of shlepping one with me is way beyond the pale. There are almost twice as many on board as they need, if not indeed twice as many. There are vests in your cabin, and there are vests at the lifeboat stations as well.

A good Type IV vest is going to take up most of a suitcase, and depending on your airline, that could cost you a lot to take along.

Type IV is not a vest. It's a throwable.

The cruise ships use Type I, which will turn an unconcious person face-up.

Archived