Royal Princess design: badly solsticized

cruisetrail

Wrap-around promenade, front observation, aft pool, skywalkers, bow access are gone.  

220 members have voted

1. 1. Wrap-around promenade, front observation, aft pool, skywalkers, bow access are gone.

• I do NOT like this.
    • I like this.

Celebrity go for a much more modern and sleek interior design, which feels more light and airy in my opinion.

As an example, compare the buffet area on Ruby Princess:

Interesting. While I've been sailing Princess rather than Celebrity largely on the basis of price and itinerary, when I look at pictures of Solstice ships I often feel a pang of envy. But honestly, that X buffet has all the charm and graciousness of an operating room.

Interesting. While I've been sailing Princess rather than Celebrity largely on the basis of price and itinerary, when I look at pictures of Solstice ships I often feel a pang of envy. But honestly, that X buffet has all the charm and graciousness of an operating room.

I believe the buffet design has been improved on the new Silhouette. It looks much nicer:

Oceanview-Cafe-4900.JPG

It looks like you did not sail on Celebrity.

When X buffet (or Y, Z buffet) is full - it's full. I saw lines and a lot of chaotic movement around.

X buffet: I like higher ceilings.

Princess please solsticize Princess buffet as much as you wish but give us Princess food (not X food).

Yes it does. They added beige wood and touches of brass. ;)

*snort*

. . . where have I seen that before?

The furniture in those Celebrity photos (dining room and sea-view lounge) looks like it came from Eastern Airlines' Ionisphere Club at National Airport, circa 1979 (and that furniture hadn't changed as of 1991 when they went out of business -- I guess I know what they did with the surplus).

*snort*

. . . where have I seen that before?

The furniture in those Celebrity photos (dining room and sea-view lounge) looks like it came from Eastern Airlines' Ionisphere Club at National Airport, circa 1979 (and that furniture hadn't changed as of 1991 when they went out of business -- I guess I know what they did with the surplus).

Hahahaha:p

As long as its as clean as an operating room, I'll be happy!

In my opinion the Solstice buffets are much better laid out than the Princess buffets. Much larger with room to walk around from station to station. No bottlenecks where you have to stand in line and wait while people are trying to get toast from a machine that looks like it originated on the Mayflower. And much more choice available. Not sure what the Royal design is like but lets hope its better than the Ruby HC.

Well seeing as it set records on opening day I'm sure a lot of people can't wait to sail her. I tried Celebrity, nothing special, came back to Princess. Some bargain basement prices came out for Celebrity 2013 Europe today, Princess didn't seem to have that issue....interesting.

When I look at the pictures you posted, which obviously turn your crank but to me, the dining room is an absolute waste of space, no wonder they have to cram everyone so close together, add a floor!! Covered pool looks no different from any Princess ship with a covered pool. library out in the open like that...hmm no thanks, I like quiet libraries.

With all the problems the cruise industry has been having lately-Concordia, noro, propulsion issues on CB, etc - I think you will see lots of low pricing on all the lines since bookings overall are down. Don't kid yourself to think that Princess will not be affected.

As for the dramatic dining room on Solstice being a waste of space - why don't the eliminate the Atriums as well then, if space is a concern? Maybe those pesky sundecks should go too.

Lots of people love those high ceilings in the dining room, rather than the closed in feeling experienced on other ships.

I still don't understand the need to bash Celebrity and the Solstice class ships on this thread about the Royal Princess. You don't like Celebrity, don't sail with them. Simple.

As for the dramatic dining room on Solstice being a waste of space - why don't the eliminate the Atriums as well then, if space is a concern? Maybe those pesky sundecks should go too.

Lots of people love those high ceilings in the dining room, rather than the closed in feeling experienced on other ships.

I still don't understand the need to bash Celebrity and the Solstice class ships on this thread about the Royal Princess. You don't like Celebrity, don't sail with them. Simple.

Obviously Cruise Junky has taken offense to us trying to defend against his blatant Celebrity bashing, and he is obviously jealous of the photos we have been posting, even though he was the one who started posting them :rolleyes:

I agree about the open spaces on cruise ships. Those areas just make things seem more spacious and less densely packed, which I sometimes felt on the Grand Class. People hate all the time on RCI's Royal Promenade concept, but if those people actually went on the ship, they would realize that it opens up the lower areas and provides an easy navigation route along the ship. The soaring lobby on the Solstice which goes up to the pool deck would have just been filled with cabins (and more passengers) anyway. I had kind of hoped Princess would have done something similar on Royal with their dining room, or added a couple more decks of height to the atrium. I guess it doesn't fit in with 'big ship choice, small ship feel'.

LOL.... I was looking for the sign that points to Radiology.

Now with the warm tones added it looks like the food court in a mall with the straight lines and boxy floor.

Yet it still has more style than any of the Princess buffets. Think Olive Garden.

LOL.... I was looking for the sign that points to Radiology.

I would imagine that with its more spacious and open design, it is easier to keep clean as well. In these days when ships seem to be experiencing a lot of noro outbreaks, thats an important consideration.

I would imagine that with its more spacious and open design, it is easier to keep clean as well. In these days when ships seem to be experiencing a lot of noro outbreaks, thats an important consideration.

I really don't think there is a correlation. People still touch railings on the staircase, elevator buttons, door knobs, menus, salt and pepper shakers...... These are probably the most common places to catch norovirus on a ship. Commonly touched items.

Yet it still has more style than any of the Princess buffets. Think Olive Garden.

Ernie - it has been awhile since I sailed on the Millennium but the buffet was very disappointing. It was closed in the afternoon when I returned to the ship and it was closed at night also (only room service was available in the afternoon). Late afternoon when it opened up there were strange snacks such as a cracker with a cucumber, olive and tomato. We all looked at the selection in disappointment. In the morning when I went to the omelette station I was "restricted to one item in my omelette" - I could not have "ham and cheese" - it had to be one or the other. Believe me, it made the Princess buffet seem lovely!

I really don't think there is a correlation. People still touch railings on the staircase, elevator buttons, door knobs, menus, salt and pepper shakers...... These are probably the most common places to catch norovirus on a ship. Commonly touched items.

Whether its noro or any other germs/viruses, I still think cleanliness is important in all areas when you have a large number of people in a relatively confined space (a cruise ship). Makes it easier for the crew to do their jobs as well, I would think.

Whether its noro or any other germs/viruses, I still think cleanliness is important in all areas when you have a large number of people in a relatively confined space (a cruise ship). Makes it easier for the crew to do their jobs as well, I would think.

I agree cleanliness is important but having an open design has nothing to do with it. The elevator buttons are similar on both lines. Railings are similar on both lines. Having an open dining room does not attribute to this.

If you look at CDC's norovirus report, Princess has had it 3x this year and Celebrity 2x with Silhouette being one of the ships (Constellation another).

Last year, CDC reported Princess 4 times and Celebrity 3x (Solstice and Millennium reported).

Princess has more ships in their fleet so it appears that Celebrity is not benefitting from "their open and spacious design". They are just as affected as other lines.

That's a valid point. However, my wife works in the medical field and I work in retail so the last thing that we want a reference to while on vacation is work. I think that’s what bothers me most about the look. At home in our kitchen I do like the straight clean lines for the reason you mention but we have a small kitchen so it doesn't feel like an institution.

Obviously Cruise Junky has taken offense to us trying to defend against his blatant Celebrity bashing, and he is obviously jealous of the photos we have been posting, even though he was the one who started posting them :rolleyes:

I agree about the open spaces on cruise ships. Those areas just make things seem more spacious and less densely packed, which I sometimes felt on the Grand Class. People hate all the time on RCI's Royal Promenade concept, but if those people actually went on the ship, they would realize that it opens up the lower areas and provides an easy navigation route along the ship. The soaring lobby on the Solstice which goes up to the pool deck would have just been filled with cabins (and more passengers) anyway. I had kind of hoped Princess would have done something similar on Royal with their dining room, or added a couple more decks of height to the atrium. I guess it doesn't fit in with 'big ship choice, small ship feel'.

I thought people were entitled to voice their personal opinions.

Bob

Exactly my feelings. I will never understand the need to 1.) defend a cruise line against all criticism or 2.) bash a cruise line in all things when one or two didn't appeal. Don't people realize that they only diminish their own credibility when they do that? Princess is a wonderful cruise line and does many things better than Celebrity, but the opposite is also true. Not only do people take offense at anyone saying anything bad about "their" cruise line, they seem equally aggrieved by anyone saying anything good about another cruise line. How very...preschool.

Keep in mind, Princess has two of those Buffets to Celebrity's one. They can have one down for a thorough cleaning while one still operates.

Exactly my feelings. I will never understand the need to 1.) defend a cruise line against all criticism or 2.) bash a cruise line in all things when one or two didn't appeal. Don't people realize that they only diminish their own credibility when they do that? Princess is a wonderful cruise line and does many things better than Celebrity, but the opposite is also true. Not only do people take offense at anyone saying anything bad about "their" cruise line, they seem equally aggrieved by anyone saying anything good about another cruise line. How very...preschool.

I agree. There are certain things I enjoy about Princess, and certain things I enjoy about Celebrity. It is great to have choice and we plan to cruise with both lines (in addition to maybe giving HAL another go sometime). I don't feel a need to be a cheerleader for any line and until they make me president of one or the other I will continue to enjoy both. If I see something I don't like on any line I may comment on it (or something I do like - there are plenty of things to like about both lines.) Hopefully the cruise lines do read our comments on these boards, both positive and negative feedback. I just don't see the need to "bash" other cruiselines when looking at deckplans of a new ship coming out, or discount others' opinions because they are not solely Princess loyalists. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Archived