Camera on a cruise

MicheMommy

We'll be going on our first cruise in June and I'm wondering what to do about a camera. I have a pretty nice DSLR that is *technically* my father's but he's let me keep it for several years now. It's my only camera (well, my only digital camera) I'm nervous about bringing it because I worry that something would happen when it's not really mine, but I absolutely must have pictures of this cruise, so I'm not sure if I'm being too paranoid or what.

We'll also be doing some snorkeling and kayaking and I want to be able to take pictures during those times as well, so I'm thinking about doing a waterproof camera. I'm leary of the quality that I'd get from a disposable one time use camera, but I really don't have hundreds of dollars to spend on a waterproof digital camera.

So...all that said, what would you do? Would you bring the DSLR or not? Would you buy a disposable camera for the times it could/will get wet or some other option? I'd appreciate any advice at all as I really don't know what I'm going to do.

Thanks!

I was in a similar position a month ago - going to Costa Rica, do I take our son's binoculars, what if lost or stolen, or do I take not-so-strong cheaper ones?

There is no guarantee your father's camera won't get damaged or stolen, I wouldn't risk it. I'd buy another camera just for travels - but this is just me, I try to make my vacations worry-less first of all.

Years ago I took my whole, $7000 Nikon D1X DSLR kit on a ship(s). Not an issue.

As to the "water" issue, try a disposable, as you suggested. Don't go crazy trying to buy a water-resistant / proof DSLR or any digital camera. Just put it in a plastic bag (the disposable) and take it out when you need to use it.

Don't be paranoid; been there done that many times.

There is no guarantee your father's camera won't get damaged or stolen, I wouldn't risk it. I'd buy another camera just for travels - but this is just me, I try to make my vacations worry-less first of all.

I agree, there are many good cameras out there without spending a fortune, and you won't have to worry about your father's camera. One that is used by a CC member that posts LIVE (with great photos) of his cruises, says he mainly uses a Sony DSC-H10. And I'd go with a disposable for snorkeling/kayaking.

I would probably first try to see if I can purchase my own camera for a decent price. There are sales for cameras all the time, especially for models that are about to be discontiuned.

If that doesn't work, I would bring the DSLR you are "borrowing" because that is what is going to take the best photos. I would also bring the disposal one too for underwater photos or for times you just don't want to keep the DSLR with you.

There is no guarantee that nothing will happen to it, but there is not a guarantee nothing will happen to any of the things you bring with you. Just take measures to take care of it and more than likely you should be ok. You will see a lot of of people with very nice cameras and you do not want to be disappointed with your pictures once you get home.

Have a good trip!

I wouldn't take anything really expensive ashore, unless you'll be with it all the time. At the beach or on excursions, bring something cheap....no one wants your photos, but they might want the camera, if it's nice!

If you aren't doing water activities, then bring your nice one...no one is going to mug you for it, assuming you stay on the beaten path!!

On the ship, ditto....bring your better stuff...if you're worried about it in your cabin, lock it in your suitcase...no one is going to steal the luggage just to see if you stashed something in there!

DH brings his DSL all the time. We have never worried about it being, lost, stolen or damaged. I would definitely buy an inexpensive one to take to the beach. What you want are good pictures and no worries. Have a great cruise.

Ciao,

Nikki

For underwater I'd get a disposable or a waterproof point-n-shoot.

Sometimes the SLR waterproof housing costs more than the camera :eek:

Also to be frank, most underwater photos are not going to look like anything in National Geographic.

Using a DSLR around the boat is simple and safe, storing in your room is also easy, just slide it into a drawer. I have always brought a couple cameras; DSLR sometimes two, and a few P&Ss. 10 years from now the pictures will be what you have to remember that trip :D

As to on port, common sense and be aware of surroundings, this is no different than when you are about at home too.

On the beach and in the water is a entirely different matter. You might want to look at the latest waterproof offerings here:http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q311waterproofcompactgrouptest/

We'll be going on our first cruise in June and I'm wondering what to do about a camera. I have a pretty nice DSLR that is *technically* my father's but he's let me keep it for several years now. It's my only camera (well, my only digital camera) I'm nervous about bringing it because I worry that something would happen when it's not really mine, but I absolutely must have pictures of this cruise, so I'm not sure if I'm being too paranoid or what.

We'll also be doing some snorkeling and kayaking and I want to be able to take pictures during those times as well, so I'm thinking about doing a waterproof camera. I'm leary of the quality that I'd get from a disposable one time use camera, but I really don't have hundreds of dollars to spend on a waterproof digital camera.

So...all that said, what would you do? Would you bring the DSLR or not? Would you buy a disposable camera for the times it could/will get wet or some other option? I'd appreciate any advice at all as I really don't know what I'm going to do.

Thanks!

Thanks for all of the responses!

Also to be frank, most underwater photos are not going to look like anything in National Geographic.

WHAT?!! And here I had such high expectations! :eek: ;)

No National Geographic expectations here. I just want something recognizable and in focus.

My dad's camera that I have was his "backup" camera for a while (he's a bit of a photographer). But he's since bought a new one (or two - I can't keep track). He hasn't needed this one for a long time now and I *think* it's pretty much mine, but I haven't asked him that specifically. I suppose I should just do that and then I can stop worrying so much about bad things happening to someone else's stuff.

Anyone have any good experience with a particular waterproof disposable then? I think no matter what I'll end up getting one or two of those to take ashore at least.

I was in a similar position a month ago - going to Costa Rica, do I take our son's binoculars, what if lost or stolen, or do I take not-so-strong cheaper ones?

I just bought a Panasonic "Lumix" for our upcoming cruise - it's 16 megapixels, has some automatic adjustment features, a very easy zoom and even takes short movies. The pictures are terrific ( IMO ) and it was on sale at Walmart for $117. It's about the size of a slim wallet and easily fits in a purse. Plus it's got a lot of memory although you can add easily, and cheaply to that. I LOVE it. Have a great cruise!

Remember any disposable probably is going to run you 10-15 bucks for the camera than another 15-20 bucks for the developing of the film and another few dollars for the CD to come with it. I went this route a few years ago, I think it ended up costing me about 30 bucks for the 24 or so pictures from that camera. If you have the budget I'd consider a refurb'd camera from Amazon or ebay. You'll likely find older versions from this review ( http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q209waterproofgroup )available for possible 99 bucks or less. More than a disposable but without the limitations of film. They won't come close to your older DLSR in quaility but you'll have the flexiblity of digital.

I spent 99 for the Fuji.. a crap camera and bottom rater but for 99 bucks pretty amazing we can do that for 99 bucks :D, but its 70-80 bucks more than you were going to spend. That is my take anywhere camera that I also feel comfortable to let my kids take as well.

Thanks for all of the responses!

WHAT?!! And here I had such high expectations! :eek: ;)

No National Geographic expectations here. I just want something recognizable and in focus.

My dad's camera that I have was his "backup" camera for a while (he's a bit of a photographer). But he's since bought a new one (or two - I can't keep track). He hasn't needed this one for a long time now and I *think* it's pretty much mine, but I haven't asked him that specifically. I suppose I should just do that and then I can stop worrying so much about bad things happening to someone else's stuff.

Anyone have any good experience with a particular waterproof disposable then? I think no matter what I'll end up getting one or two of those to take ashore at least.

We bought our kids each an inexpensive 14MP P&S digital camera for about 60 bucks at WalMart-came with a cheap little case, 2 rechargeable AA batteries, and a charger. Only thing needed still was a SD card. It takes decent photos, certainly not studio quality, but decent enough. It's a small pocket-sized Kodak. For their first cameras, we didn't want to spend a lot, as you know how kids can be, so if anything happened, or they get lost, we're not out a lot of money.

Oh, and you can upload your photos to Walmart.com and they will print them for like 9 cents each if you are willing to wait a few days, or about 13 cents for one-hour pickup. I believe it's a bit more expensive to do this in-store, but maybe only a few cents more per print.

What would I do? I would take the DSLR and use it happily and, should anything unfortunate happen, I would deal with replacing it then. I wouldn't be worried that something would happen; I've taken it on many vacations without worry or problems. I would also just buy an inexpensive digital waterproof camera, as I won't get that much use out of it and so can't really justify paying much for one.

Whatever camera you take, if it's digital I'd recommend taking a pic at the beginning of each memory card of your contact info and a "Please Return" message. You hear stories about people finding a camera and wondering who the people are in the vacation pics. Maybe you'll at least get the pics back if its lost.

Like another poster, I have a Panasonic Lumix (DMC-ZS7) and I'm very happy with it. I would recommend getting a small point-and-shoot, simply because you might not want to lug around a (comparatively) large DSLR all day.

If you do decide you'd rather not spend the money on a new camera, I would go ahead and ask your father's permission to take his camera with you. If he says no, then you need to go and buy yourself a camera. But I would imagine he'll say yes, in which case you can go guilt-free. And if it gets damaged, you would do the same thing you would do if anything else belonging to someone else got damaged while in your care: you would get it repaired or replace it.

Thanks!

While onboard taking photos of my wife, a nice lady ask me: "Would you like me to take a picture of you and your wife together?" We rarely have photos together so I gladly said.."yes, that would be great". She took one picture, then said: "Wait, let me take another one". She took two steps and tripped on a lounge chair...all of us in disbelief as she dropped my Nikon D90...and gasp in shock after hearing that heartbreaking thud. We all felt bad, it was an accident...and an expensive lesson. Lesson: If you allow someone to use your camera, place the camera strap around their neck.

i bought an Olympus stylus tough ( i think thats the whole name ) its awesome.. the lesser modee of its more expensive brother. was bout 300$ and is my fave toy and investment. its water proof up to 8' i belive ( like i can swim down any fathure anyway) drop proof and a whole bnch of other things. i take it everywhere and takes great pictures. its about 3 yrs old now so im sure theres a newer version but i recommend buying a digital waterproof. :)

I would never walk around with one of those big cameras all day.

You can buy a small Nikon or Canon camera for less than $100 that will take pictures just as good for your purposes.

I also would not mess with those underwater disposables. The photos are bad and usually the scenery is not worth taking pictures of.

I have had decent luck with Waterproof and Underwater Cameras that I have found at Pawn Shops. Particularly the ones near Military bases. Seems the military guys (and gals) have few expenses and when they want something they buy it. But when you are based in Hawaii or the South Pacific, an Underwater Camera seems like a necessity. However when you are transferred to Killeen Texas, Omaha Nebraska, Adak Alaska, or Kabul Afghanistan, an Underwater Camera might not be something that you will have a use for. So it is off to the Pawn shop for cash (Seems like they always can find a use for Cash)

I have purchased three underwater cameras from Pawn Shops. All were in essentially new conditions (although all were film cameras) One in Killeen, One in Dallas, and One in San Antonio.

Never hurts to look.

I bought a Kodak easyshare waterproof camera for my last cruise. I think it was about $65 on Amazon, it came with a floating wrist strap. We used it for snorkeling and it did great. Just be sure and rinse the salt water off and dry it well before you open it up.

Archived