Never cruised before...

jewels07

About to do a last minute cruise, (in three weeks time) ... P&O Southampton to Norwegian fjords. (It seemed like a good idea at the time!)

Finally, having celebrated my 60th in Feb, maybe I am old enough!

This is a trial run for what hubby wants to do next year for his milestone birthday...a cruise to the Hawaiian islands. He does suffer from seasickness tho, hence the trial...I have bought him wristbands, so we shall see.

I think you're gonna be sorry you waited so long to cruise!

However, if you've never been to Hawaii and really want to experience it fully, do a land-based vacation there. You simply don't get enough time in each port to do everything that Hawaii offers! Cruising is great, but if you REALLY want to get to know an area, then you need much more time than a few hours in port will offer!

This is a trial run for what hubby wants to do next year for his milestone birthday...a cruise to the Hawaiian islands. He does suffer from seasickness tho, hence the trial...I have bought him wristbands, so we shall see.

That is a ton of sea days. Hawaii is almost 2,500 miles from California, about the same distance NY to Los Angeles.

Are you planning to fly to Honolulu, and do the 7-days cruise from there?

Or you want to fly to Los Angeles and take the 15-day cruise to Hawaii? Pacific ocean can be rough, may be not such a good idea if he gets sick.

Well, it was an impulse thing,,,we needed to book a week's break soon, since our main break this year isn't until late Oct (South Africa)

I didn't want a week poolside, and there were not many other options...

We will see...am not convinced cruising is our style...We normally book flights and hotels independently: I hate being herded around, but am willing to try it just once.

The best thing is sailing from southampton (2 hours drive from home) and it's an adults only cruise.

Look for Stugeron tablets in Boots, or any other chemists- P&O also sell similar tablets at reception. Listen to the captain's forecast, and take a pill if necessary. If he's not sailed on a cruise ship before, only ferries, he might find there's a great difference- the ships are huge, with excellent stabilisers.

If you fly out to Hawaii, take a break in between LA or San Fran- we didn't, as we had a short holiday allowance, and it was about 12 hours to SA, then about a further 5 to Honolulu- I'll never do that again, and the immigration in between can be a long drawn out affair. There's one ship, with NCL, which just sails round the islands, so you can fly all the way, then sail round for 7 days.

Don't think that cruising's only for older people- although it might seem so if you're on one of the adult only ships....the other ones have a good mix of ages.;)

Enjoy your cruise- neighbours started with Norway, came home and immediately booked another....:cool:

Jo.

The Hawaii thing would be fly to LA/Vegas, then LA to the islands and back. He's always had a thing about Hawaii....no idea why, but am willing to go along with it!

Hawaii is one of the most beautiful, perfect, edens on the planet.

Most incredible place I have ever been to, lucky enough to have been there a couple of times.

Maui and Kaui are impossible to describe if you like tropical paradises.

I would highly recommend it, but, not cruising, do at least 10 days, and hit at least 2 of the islands.

We use electronic bands and Stugeron (we cannot get this in the United States -- have to order it online from the U.K.) At the first sign of rough seas I give my DH 1/4 of a Sturgeron. IF he felt seasick, I would give him a bit more but would rather give less than too much. He is now so confident about cruising that we are doing the Bering Sea next year.

Avoid a cabin in the front of the ship on a high deck where you feel the most motion when it is rough.

The most stable location is a balcony cabin in a middle of deck location on a middle deck. The balcony will help with fresh air and if queezie can look at the horizon which helps.

I'm reluctant to be all Polyanna about it, but a lot of people who think they have a seasickness problem (my wife included) go on a cruise and discover they have no problem on a cruise ship.

If you go to Hawaii, expect to be romanced into a two-week stay later (if you can afford it). I can't imagine one day in each port. Maui alone is worth at least two weeks. It takes two or three days to wind down into the island flow. By the end of two weeks, you'll feel like you live there.

Jim

Archived