comfortable shoes for lots of walking--Rome

nojoke

I really don't want to wear my running shoes--so American looking! And I am looking online at the discount shoe sites, and the walking shoes are so UGLY!

I need something that I can wear socks with (the low ones that don't show) and that will get me over the cobblestones in Rome, and Athens, etc.

I do have comfortable decent-looking sandals, but this trip is in Nov/Dec., and I probably should have closed toe shoes. Do any of you have suggestions as to a brand or type of shoe that has gotten you over rough roads without blisters?

Thanks in advance!

Mary Lou

Everyone's feet are different-a lot of people love Keens, but mine give me blisters on the backs of my heels, and the toe guard isn't tall enough for my toes. And they do tend towards the ugly, too.

I do absolutely love Injinji socks though. They're toe socks, but they're really foot-shaped, and they do keep the blistering to a minimum for me.

I was in Rome May 1st this year on a cruise and I took some plain brown leather Earth walking shoes (similar to these but mine have laces)

Kalso Earth shoes are the most comfortable shoes I have ever worn, it's all I wear anymore.

http://www.amazon.com/Womens-Earth-CACHET-Slip-Loafers/dp/B003XJ9AYC/ref=pd_sbs_shoe_2

But really, I shouldn't have worried because I saw all kinds of shoes (and all kinds of dress, for that matter) everywhere. I'm glad I took shoes that look a bit more "stylish" than my regular walking shoes but I wouldn't have felt out of place had I worn them instead. I never felt like anyone cared what I wore.:)

Bring the shoes you're most comfortable wearing and that match the most clothes!:D Enjoy your trip!

I was in Rome in May and wore a pair of black walking shoes

by the "GRASSHOPPER" brand. They saved my feet.:)

They are plain, no designs or anything....just black lace ups with

a WONDERFUL CUSHIONY footbed:D and very good support.

Oh, I was not looking for a "pretty shoe" though...when you

mentioned everything being ugly? These are simply black.

I don't think they are ugly though...they saved my feet

as I wore sandals the first day:( and learned my lesson....

wore the shoes every day there after....we toured

Athens, Turkey, 3 different Greek Islands, Naples and

Sicily.

You'll have to try on various brands, because what fits another's foot may feel terrible on yours. Some recommended brands for good, non-Athletic walking shoes incude: Privo, Keen, Merrell, Clark's, Ecco, Skecher's, Mephisto.....and probably dozens of others.

You'll be walking on a lot of cobblestones, so the most important thing is to find shoes that have a firm, thick sole (otherwise the cobblestones can literally bruise the bottoms of your feet), and that fit securely not loosely on your foot. Shoes that are loose can twist and bend, causing you to twist an ankle, for example, if you mis-step.

Some people like a walking sandal, but I prefer a closed shoe -- I have a tendency to stub my toes. If I do take a sandal, it will be something like a Keen sandal with a toe guard.

thanks so much for all the great suggestions--I really like the look of the Earth shoes--and thanks for the suggestion about the injinji socks--I had tried the other type that hooks around the heel and they just slipped right off and bunched up under my foot.

I knew I could count on my "CC girls!"

You'll have to try on various brands, because what fits another's foot may feel terrible on yours. Some recommended brands for good, non-Athletic walking shoes incude: Privo, Keen, Merrell, Clark's, Ecco, Skecher's, Mephisto.....and probably dozens of others.

You'll be walking on a lot of cobblestones, so the most important thing is to find shoes that have a firm, thick sole (otherwise the cobblestones can literally bruise the bottoms of your feet), and that fit securely not loosely on your foot. Shoes that are loose can twist and bend, causing you to twist an ankle, for example, if you mis-step.

Some people like a walking sandal, but I prefer a closed shoe -- I have a tendency to stub my toes. If I do take a sandal, it will be something like a Keen sandal with a toe guard.

Hi Cynthia:) omg... your description of what can happen is spot on...

That is what happened to me the only day in Rome:eek:....my

poor heel was totally bruised:(...I thought my Merrell's would be

sooooo good...little did I realize my feet vs the cobblestone streets?

The street won:rolleyes:......after that I wore my walking shoes every

day! Thank goodness I brought them with me!!!

DD lives near the Villa Doria Pamphili and is always people watching.

Many Romans now where athletic shoes everyday, especially the younger ones. Unless you wear an European shoe you will be pegged as an American. Body shape and clothes also give us away.;)

DD gets odd looks when she wears a hoodie, shorts and flip flops- the unofficial school uniform of SoCal kids.

Sometimes it is best to be labeled as a tourist. Makes it much easier to cross the street. If you look 'native' they will expect you to know how to properly cross a busy street. They can be a bit more understanding if you look like you do not know what you are doing. I got yelled at once, standing on the curb, by a driver because I was waiting for his car to pass. (sigh) I was wearing my Rome clothes- jeans, Eccos, jacket and scarf.

Best tip is to test shoes over all terrain, not just at the store with it's cushy carpeting or vinyl. Find bumpy stuff. REI actually has a climbing hill in the shoe deartment.

Be careful of any type of heel. I wore my Clarks only the first evening for a 2 week stay because I couldn't walk on the cobbles, especially the ones used for traction on hilly curves. I was happy I brought a second pair of shoes with me. I had no problem with those Clarks in NYC.

Check out The Walking Company. They have good shoes that aren't athletic wear.

I like Aerosoles and Skechers for walking. I order a couple every few months so that they're always on hand for a trip. Lands End also carries some comfortable walking shoes & Crocs have some great options as well.

I purchased this pair of OTBT (Off The Beaten Track) Mary Janes about 4 weeks ago. I probably tried on 30 different pairs of shoes trying to find just the right ones for my high arches. I have been wearing them on my morning walks every day with no blisters or soreness, even the first day! The more I walk in them, the more they "conform" to my feet. I like that there is a heel and the sole is firm. I can even wear a footie sock from Clark's that is barely noticeable, except on the heel.

http://www.musthaveshoes.com/mhs/products?shoes=best-sellers&page=5&shoe=springfield-black-leather

Your feet will thank you for wearing a walking shoe with something of a rubber sole. All those cobbles are very hard on feet. We've walked so many miles, so many times, in Rome and I wouldn't dream of anything but a rubber sole.

I just bought a Joan & David at Macy's.

Circa by Joan & David Shoes, Yavin Wedge Pumps

$89.00

I wore them in Seattle sightseeing and they were a dream.

I'm thinking of buying a second pair while they are still available as they are great walking shoes.

At first I bought a pair shoes that were a cross between running shoes and sandals in suede called Pr!vo(actually way it is written-no typo)-comfortable in the store but when I tried them out when I take my walks, I found the back strap rubbed my heals even with socks, so I did not take them.

I found a pair of Sperry Mary Jane's done in canvas. They were great for Pompeii which foolishly I was more concerned about because of tour descriptions. For Rome I wore a pair of Clarks slide leather sandals that were comfortable but I did have to be careful walking on uneven ground. Silly me! I did not want to wear anything that looked like running shoes because of posts I read here.

Let me tell you Rome was super crowded with people on Holiday doing tours. Americans were a small fraction of visitors that I could see-even on our cruiseship where there were more Americans than from other countries-we were only maybe 20%.

What did I see in Rome? Tons of people in athletic shoes, and percentage wise very few were Americans-there were many Europeans wearing them including our Italian guide. They seemed to be the "shoe of the day" for those touring.

If you take that 10 hour tour that goes to the coliseum/forum, Trevi fountain, and the Vatican-beware all you do is a whole lot of walking. If I had to do it over again I would have worn my Sperry Mary Jane's for Rome also.

As far as spotting Americans, I have to tell you a funny. My daughter and I both had people come up to us speaking French thinking we were french. Now this was on the cruiseship-LOL I do believe we had almost as many french speaking people on board as Americans, maybe even more if you count those from France and those from Quebec.

I just returned from a land trip through France. People worry much too much about their shoes. I saw every type imaginable, on both Americans and everyone else, and that includes plenty of running shoes.

Wear what's comfortable and then just forget about it! A handy product I found is Band Aid Blister Block. It works great, suggest anyone who has a problem with blisters try it. Amazing product.

51LSu%2BBZOUL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

...What did I see in Rome? Tons of people in athletic shoes, and percentage wise very few were Americans-there were many Europeans wearing them including our Italian guide. They seemed to be the "shoe of the day" for those touring.

...People worry much too much about their shoes. I saw every type imaginable, on both Americans and everyone else, and that includes plenty of running shoes..

Exactly, agree with both comments. Wear your runners/athletic shoes if you want! They will save your feet, trust me! BTW, I would never "break in" a pair of new shoes on vacation - as noted, blisters do occur and they can wreck your holiday.

Thank you for the recommendation about the blister blocker. I'm on my way to google it to see how it works.

FWIW--We've has more success with moleskin and/or different socks than the lotions.

^ I have had success with inexpensive clear medical tape - the kind you tape gauze pads on with. Put it over the area where it is rubbing, maybe 2 - 4 pieces thick, and it works like a charm. Got two big rolls for less than 5 bucks. It's clear so it doesn't show like a bandaid does. Beauty. :)

Exactly, agree with both comments. Wear your runners/athletic shoes if you want! They will save your feet, trust me! BTW, I would never "break in" a pair of new shoes on vacation - as noted, blisters do occur and they can wreck your holiday.

Breaking in the Pr!vos before the cruise is how I learned they would not work.

Archived