Suite Perks

Woobstr112G

I would like to get some thoughts on one of the new suite perks that Princess is offering. What is your opinion on the announced "Priority Sign Up for the Chef's Table?" Will suuite guests automatically be guarenteed a spot? Just curious.....

Bob

I would like to get some thoughts on one of the new suite perks that Princess is offering. What is your opinion on the announced "Priority Sign Up for the Chef's Table?" Will suuite guests automatically be guarenteed a spot? Just curious.....

Bob

Sure sounds like it. Then again, I have heard that CT is not filling, so they need a new gimmick.

Bob

I hope so. Selfish, I know, but I'm taking my first cruise in Sept. and would like to experience both the Chef's Table and Ultimate Ship's Tour.

I hope so. Selfish, I know, but I'm taking my first cruise in Sept. and would like to experience both the Chef's Table and Ultimate Ship's Tour.

The rush seems to be over. Not too many waiting to spend $95 for dinner or $150 for a ship's tour. And since most are couples and would want to go together, definitely no rush.

The rush seems to be over. Not too many waiting to spend $95 for dinner or $150 for a ship's tour. And since most are couples and would want to go together, definitely no rush.

Pia;

You bring up a very good point about Princess needing a new way to draw cruisers in. I'm looking forward to doing it on the Sapphire. I've had a bit of bad luck being chosen for the CT as I'm only 2 outa four for when it was offered (wasn't offered on the Diamond in Feb 2009). I was shut out two T/A's in a row on the Ruby.....

Bob

That's good for us. If they have low numbers, I might be able to get my family in there too. There are seven of us wanting to do it. It's expensive I know, but it's a one-time experience for us.

Denise

I also think it is a one time experience for most. And many suite people are not super rich - may be a special occasion, so they may not want to shell out any more money.

We have never been turned down while in a suite = but never tried before we started booking them.

I'd rather have some internet minutes.

I am guessing suite individuals already were prioritized anyway for Chef's Table. I know individuals in suites who have always "been approved" every time they booked it.

I think they are now "advertising it as a benefit".

I am guessing suite individuals already were prioritized anyway for Chef's Table. I know individuals in suites who have always "been approved" every time they booked it.

I hope so. I've known people, on previous cruises that were shut out even though they were suite passengers.....

Bob

I'm not sure how they would provide priority reservations for suite passengers for CT or UST unless they automatically invited these pax and then remove their names if they decline the invite.

I agree with Pia that the economy and price may be contributing to the decline in these events. I've experienced both a few years ago but wouldn't spend the $$ to do it again.

Pia;

You bring up a very good point about Princess needing a new way to draw cruisers in. I'm looking forward to doing it on the Sapphire. I've had a bit of bad luck being chosen for the CT as I'm only 2 outa four for when it was offered (wasn't offered on the Diamond in Feb 2009). I was shut out two T/A's in a row on the Ruby.....

Bob

Just off the CB Bob and they couldn't "give it away." They kept advertising it over and over and over. Evidentally the Brits are not interested, since these two cruises was mostly UK passengers.

agree - I think they want to make suite guests THINK they are getting something new. People around here are cutting back on spending (who knows what will happen later this year after we see what the drought prices have in store for us) and it's not like we won't get fed unless we pay more. My dh is a meat and potates guy so he really has never cared for the CT food, especially the appetizers. I doubt he will ever want to go again, especially at $95 - we have enough of the same cookbooks. And that is another thing that is not fare - a couple gets one cookbook but if it is two women or men in a cabin - they both get one.

Just off the CB Bob and they couldn't "give it away." They kept advertising it over and over and over. Evidentally the Brits are not interested, since these two cruises was mostly UK passengers.

Pia;

Hopefully that holds true next year on the Royal.....:):):)

Bob

agree - I think they want to make suite guests THINK they are getting something new. People around here are cutting back on spending (who knows what will happen later this year after we see what the drought prices have in store for us) and it's not like we won't get fed unless we pay more. My dh is a meat and potates guy so he really has never cared for the CT food, especially the appetizers. I doubt he will ever want to go again, especially at $95 - we have enough of the same cookbooks. And that is another thing that is not fare - a couple gets one cookbook but if it is two women or men in a cabin - they both get one.

I dunno the "Meat on a Hook" thing is pretty close. :D

In a recent discussion someone posted a PDF file of the suite benefits. While some items such is the complimentary dinner in a specialty restaurant was a new benefit, the priority for the CT and the UST did not have the same notation so you're probably correct that they are now just advertising it is a benefit.

In the past we have enjoyed four CT's before the price increase but since then have not gone because to us it's not worth the additional $190 more than eating in the MDR. I may have felt differently if I had never gone to a CT but now we choose to spend our money on other things.

Increasing the price for a popular dinner with a limited availability makes business sense however they may have priced it higher than most are willing to pay. I thought that maybe another reason for the price increase could have been to eliminate repeat CT diners and for others to be able to enjoy the experience. However based on recent experiences of others & needing to advertise their limited number of seats was not necessary in the past.

In a recent discussion someone posted a PDF file of the suite benefits. While some items such is the complimentary dinner in a specialty restaurant was a new benefit, the priority for the CT and the UST did not have the same notation so you're probably correct that they are now just advertising it is a benefit.

In the past we have enjoyed four CT's before the price increase but since then have not gone because to us it's not worth the additional $190 more than eating in the MDR. I may have felt differently if I had never gone to a CT but now we choose to spend our money on other things.

Increasing the price for a popular dinner with a limited availability makes business sense however they may have priced it higher than most are willing to pay. I thought the price increase could have been to eliminate repeat CT diners and for others to be able to enjoy the experience. However based on recent experiences of others & needing to advertise their limited number of seats was not necessary in the past.

I do think Suite people have been prioritized in the past, though it doesn't mean that they always "were invited", I am sure there were exceptions here and there when people didn't get invited but I am sure they were almost always at the top of the list when they were considering who would clear the list.

There have been people who have posted who have been on 7 night cruisers that were also advertised as 14 night cruises and they claimed that those the week before were able to sign up for the following week when they hadn't cleared the first week which left no empty spaces and they thought that was unfair (and I agree). But this was when one of the new ships were released and it was still fairly new. On my last 3 cruises, they were also advertising big time to fill spots.

There have been people who have posted who have been on 7 night cruisers that were also advertised as 14 night cruises and they claimed that those the week before were able to sign up for the following week when they hadn't cleared the first week which left no empty spaces and they thought that was unfair (and I agree). But this was when one of the new ships were released and it was still fairly new. On my last 3 cruises, they were also advertising big time to fill spots.

A couple of years ago I had the same experience, we were the first people to sign up for the CT on our cruise however there were 20 carryovers from the previous cruise who were unable to get the CT during that previous cruise. There's no system that everyone would agree upon it being fair and I did understand why those denied on the previous cruise were on the list ahead of us. Fortunately either enough of them declined or they added an additional CT because we are able to enjoy our first experience at the Chef's Table. :)

Speaking of suite amenities, I thought I'd tell you about the new "Chef’s “Welcome Goodies” on embarkation day" We had two little bowls of candied almonds on the wet bar counter. Mind you, they were tasty, but I'd rather continue to get free internet. Also, there was only one minibar setup in the cabin, not as the last few times one for being suite and one for being elite. When I inquired about this, I was told that they only give you one at a time now and that when we finished the first one we should just ask for it to be replenished. We haven't tried that yet, but I found it strange that they had changed.

Speaking of suite amenities, I thought I'd tell you about the new "Chef’s “Welcome Goodies” on embarkation day" We had two little bowls of candied almonds on the wet bar counter. Mind you, they were tasty, but I'd rather continue to get free internet. Also, there was only one minibar setup in the cabin, not as the last few times one for being suite and one for being elite. When I inquired about this, I was told that they only give you one at a time now and that when we finished the first one we should just ask for it to be replenished. We haven't tried that yet, but I found it strange that they had changed.

Now that is really chintzy. They're hoping you forget. Give them three days and ask for it. What the H. You're a fast drinker. ;)

Speaking of suite amenities, I thought I'd tell you about the new "Chef’s “Welcome Goodies” on embarkation day" We had two little bowls of candied almonds on the wet bar counter.

Thanks. I've been wondering about that perk. Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but seriously, candied almonds are the Chef's Welcome Goodies. I expected freshly baked cookies or something like that. Its a little disappointing.

Denise

Archived