Booking while cruising

pingpong1

Folks - As some of you may know, I'm a Regent "Newbie" and will be departing on our first cruise (Navigator) on Aug 22. In the Regent literature I have read that passengers are given the opportunity to book their next cruise (with "exclusive bonus savings") if they do it while onboard their current cruise. I know I'll have this opportunity while I'm on Navigator. My question is - just how "exclusive" is the "bonus" that Regent offers for these future cruises? Is the discount that significant (compared to future pricing) that anyone would be a complete "fool" for not taking advantage of it or would I find out later on - that I could have gotten just "as good a deal' (maybe even better) by waiting until future offers/sales are posted without having to lay out a deposit a year in advance? Are those savings offered onboard by Regent as good/better/worse/same than those that could be later obtained through a TA or directly from Regent? Thanks for any/all insight and experience with regards to this matter.

Tombo - So where does the actual "savings" part come in (that they advertise by booking for a future cruise while I'm on a cruise)? If I'm not actually booking early for an actual future cruise (at a discounted price) but merely/rather giving them, lets say $2,000 deposit, to be used towards some future cruise - then how have I actually "saved" anything? Or... am I giving them $2,000 up front but they're "counting it" or "crediting it" as, let's say a $4,000 deposit towards a future cruise? Is that what is really happening? Thanks for the response.

When we book on board we get a 5% discount on a future cruise. We do have to book one while on board and pay a deposit...... but, as mentioned above, you can change the cruise (one time) without penalty. To my knowledge, you cannot normally receive this price.

You will be a Seven Seas Society member on your second cruise so you may want to look at sailings with the Seven Seas Society discount. The more you can save the better:)

Folks ......... Are those savings offered onboard by Regent as good/better/worse/same than those that could be later obtained through a TA or directly from Regent? .......

The savings or discounts you get from your OBB are usually in addition to what your agent can give you. Never book through Regent directly.

The only downside might be the penalty ($200 pp) if you never follow through.

J

Hi Kelvin/Pingpong1; Yes, as posted above by booking on board your discount could be as much as 5%. Thus, even if there is not a voyage that float your boat in 2013, you could book the least expensive (to minimize the deposit you have to put down on your on board booking) voyage (e.g. Caribbean on the Navigator ( http://www.rssc.com/cruises/NAV130226/summary/default.aspx )as a placeholder until the 2014 itineraries are released in Sept/Oct. You are able to transfer an on board booking discount once. AS posted above and below some TA's have arrangements with Regent that within 30days of disembarking, if you did not make an on board booking discount while on board, you can get an on board booking discount with these TA's--but they are not transferable. Therefore, if you like Regent, recommend you do an on board booking--you get flexibility with your booking that does not come when getting an on board booking discount post cruise.

The discount you can get from a TA can be 5-10% less than the direct booking fare with Regent. (in terms of the TA rebating cash back to you generally a few weeks before sailing). The TA also may belong to a Travel consortium (Virtuoso, Ensemble, or Signatures) and the consortium often also provides an on board credit, on board cocktail party, and/or included private excursion.

However, we do book directly with Regent (or Silversea) first then transfer our booking within a few days. Pls see post #6 in the thread below for rationale.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1683440

OrpingtonT, our TA here in the States also will honor the 5% discount if you book within 30 days of disembarkation, but the discount is not transferable. So if you change your mind and want to take a cruise other than the one you signed up for, you lose the 5% discount.

Many Thanks to all of you for the (as usual) superb advice. It all still seems a little complex to me for now, before actually getting onboard for the first cruise.....but I'm thinking that after I finally get onboard (along with continuing to follow these posts) it will all become a little clearer. I might also need some well-invested time in the Connoisseur Club for a good cigar and a single-malt before I see the "entire picture" clearly :)

So... If I book while onboard for a future cruise - any cruise - I'll get a 5% discount off that particular cruise's advertised price....Then, when I get back home, I quickly "transfer" that booking to a T/A who is affiliated with one of the aforementioned travel consortiums....I then (later on) have a one-time opportunity to change that particular booking (if I choose) to another/different cruise itenerary (even if it's one that sails in 2014 vice 2013) without "penalty" (a resulting loss of that original 5% discount that I earned)....and then, with whatever cruise I finally do go on, I should/could receive additional discounts/rebates/OBC's that might result from, or be offered by, the TA who is now handling that cruise/booking for me.....Have I got it all straight?

Needless to say, my "travel gang" (me, DW, and father) are getting pretty excited about our first cruise. Suitcases came out of the closet this morning and are now getting filled. Perhaps I'll be able to start a new thread describing our impressions when we actually set foot onboard Navigator on Wednesday. Regards to all.

OrpingtonT, our TA here in the States also will honor the 5% discount if you book within 30 days of disembarkation, but the discount is not transferable. So if you change your mind and want to take a cruise other than the one you signed up for, you lose the 5% discount.

Regent will allow you to transfer the OBB once and the 100 dollar admin fee pp can be used for up to one year

Kelvin, you have it precisely right. Enjoy (DW, Father/u) your first Regent cruise and please tell us about it (if time during) or after your cruise.

Tina/Tallship, that is correct reference transferring the On Board Booking (OBB) discount once if you booked the OBB while on board. On the other hand, if you booked with a TA that can apply the OBB within 30 days of disembarkation--this is not transferrable. Here is the rule:

ONBOARD BOOKING PROCEDURES UP TO 30 DAYS AFTER DEBARKATION If you do not book on board you can still book with your travel consultant within 30 days of debarkation and receive an onboard booking discount. However this on board booking discount is NOT TRANSFERABLE to another cruise.

We booked our second Regent cruise while on board last fall. A month or so ago we decided to not take that cruise and switched to another one. The OBB was honored and moved to the new cruise however our TA required us to provide the letter from the OB consultant stating that we could transfer the OBB if we decided to change cruises. I don't know if this is just peculiar to our TA or a new thing. We had the letter from the OB consultant so we scanned it and sent it to our TA who forwarded it to Regent. They then honored the OBB.

After booking the cruise I periodically checked the various deals that came out regarding that cruise and up until the time I switched cruises I never saw a deal that was better than the one we got on board.

So... If I book while onboard for a future cruise - any cruise - I'll get a 5% discount off that particular cruise's advertised price....Then, when I get back home, I quickly "transfer" that booking to a T/A who is affiliated with one of the aforementioned travel consortiums....I then (later on) have a one-time opportunity to change that particular booking (if I choose) to another/different cruise itenerary (even if it's one that sails in 2014 vice 2013) without "penalty" (a resulting loss of that original 5% discount that I earned)....and then, with whatever cruise I finally do go on, I should/could receive additional discounts/rebates/OBC's that might result from, or be offered by, the TA who is now handling that cruise/booking for me.....Have I got it all straight?

Now you have me confused -- might need a cigar (except I don't smoke:-)

I'm stuck on two issues:

1. You do not need to use a travel consortium TA in order to book onboard for the discount and you do not need to go home and transfer your booking to one. You can use your existing TA (although they don't sound as if they are as familiar as they should be with Regent policies). If you know what TA you want to use, Regent's Cruise Consultant will transfer the booking for you (we have done this many times). If, for some reason, you want to transfer the booking yourself, you do have 30 days.

2. You do not need a letter from the Cruise Consultant stating that you can transfer the booking you made onboard. It is Regent policy. Also, if/when you transfer the booking to another cruise, the discount goes with you.

The reason I am certain about these answers is because we did three onboard bookings last December that included some very special benefits that were only offered that month (double loyalty nights). We have transferred two of those bookings to other Regent cruises and all the benefits transferred with us. The most recent transfer was done a month ago.

Now I'm getting confused and may need a cigar (except that I don't smoke:-)

The points that are not clear are:

1. You do not need to use a travel consortium TA for your onboard booking and do not need to transfer to a TA after the cruise. You can use your current TA (although they do not seem to familiar with Regent policies) or any other TA. If you know who you want to use, the Cruise Consultant will transfer it for you. However, if you prefer to do it yourself when you get home, you certainly can.

2. If you decide to transfer your onboard booking to another cruise, all of the discounts and benefits transfer to the new cruise. You do not lose anything and do not need a letter for your TA. I am very familiar with this as we did three onboard bookings in December since Regent had very special bonus offer that was only good that month (double loyalty points). We have changed 2 of the bookings to another cruise and benefits transferred with it.

Just trying to simplify things for you:)

There is something new that was offered on our recent cruise. Instead of actually booking a cruise while on board, we purchased an "Open Voyage Future Deposit Certificate". The charge was $2,000. We have two years to select a cruise to apply it to. The certificates are fully refundable for two years. They are redeemable for up to 2 years towards a future voyage. The certificate says we will have an "Onboard Savings" of between $300 to $8,000 per suite, depending on the sailing and category selected. Once a cruise is selected, no further deposits are required until the applicable final payment date (unless the cruise is 26+ nights, which would require an additional deposit). The certificates can only be purchased on board and are not transferable. Once you apply it to a reservation you can't transfer it. Just thought I'd let everyone know what Regent is now offering on board.

Thanks for sharing this new information Carol, sounds very similar to the open booking you can make with Silversea for $1000 but good for only one year. So glad Regent has added this option which gives flexibility to their on board booking program that was not their in the past.

While this new "open booking" has its' advantages, am concerned over the information provided that you don't know what your savings will be until you choose the cruise you want to book. The book, transfer option provides a 5% savings in all cases while this new savings could be significantly lower depending on Regent's decision. Personally, I would like to know what I am getting before I enter into a contract (this is a contract between you and Regent). From my knowledge of contracts, this doesn't qualify as one since the specifics regarding discounts aren't known when the "contract" is entered into therefore believe either you or Regent can cancel the booking with a full refund, you could get no discount, etc,. at least based on my rudimentary knowledge of contract law.

You are correct Rachel, the full amount is refundable but, what are you buying?? While it isn't a great deal of money and it wouldn't earn much interest in today's sorry interest environment, it does give Regent cash to use as they please without any guarantee for what you will get once you decide to book. It could be a ploy by Regent to get working capital or it could be a good deal. Each person needs to make that decision on their own.

Believe the on board deposit is 10% so in some cases, this might be a bargain and in other cases not so much. Personally I would want to know what discount I am signing up for and in the old case, the only risk is $200. Also wondering if the $2K is per person or for two??

There is no one answer for everyone and still have the lack of a contract and therefore a meeting of the minds?? Perhaps a real lawyer will pipe in regarding contract law and validate or not my thoughts.

The $2000 is for 2 people. If you aren't pretty sure that you will cruise regent again in the next 2 yrs, there is no reason to take the offer. But if you are reasonably certain that you will cruise with regent in the next 2 yrs, no problem. BTW, my husband is a lawyer and has no problem with this.

Several months ago I booked the UK/Iceland/Baltic cruise on Voyager in June 2013 via my TA. I went to confirm a few details with the cruise consultant (Gudrun) on our recent Alaska trip and I don't know how but she managed to shave almost $1000 from the quoted price so it's certainly worth going to have a quick chat!

Archived