What is best time of year for Mediterranean cruise?

cindygad

"Best" can depend much on your personal interests, schedule flexibilities, budget, travel style, etc. We have done two different Med cruise cruise in early to mid June. Things have worked out super well on both "adventures" with great weather and nice conditions. This includes late June 2006, Athens to Istanbul, enjoying the Greek Isles and Turkish Coast over seven days on a smaller Seabourn ship. Then last June for southern France, Italy and the Croatian Coast from spectacular Barcelona on the larger, 2850-passenger Celebrity Solstice that is detailed below on my live/blog for that trip and ship.

If your work schedule permits, May could be super, allowing less crowds, nice weather and maybe a little cheaper costs. As noted by others, late September and October can work out well, too (if you're not a football fan who has their favorite college and/or NFL teams). Early to mid June are good as many in Europe and other locations are not yet totally done with school schedules, etc.

You have several choice and decisions to consider. Where to depart from? Barcelona is becoming very popular with good air, port, main city, etc., options and facilities. Do you do more western Med and/or reach out and cover some of the eastern Med that includes the Greek Island and/or Turkish Coast. Then, there is wonderful Venice and key, spectacular cities such as Dubrovnik. Below are some added links and my visuals options to help spur your thought process. How much are you interested in history? Countrysides vs. cities? Museums, food, wine, art, music, shopping, architecture, culture, etc.? How much of it in a leisurely style versus fast-paced? Then, with more detailed and specific information from you, we can make better, more specific suggestions on what best fits your needs and interests.

Reactions and added questions??

CHECK OUT THESE POSTS FOR MORE INFO, VISUALS:

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 10,540 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and dropped by.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

More on wonderful Kotor and nearby, check these postings. Have had over 8,950 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and commented.:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439193

Since Venice is one of your key stops, you might look at this earlier posting that I did on the Italy board that shows many options and visual potentials for this city that is so great for "walking around", personally sampling the great history and architecture. This posting has now had over 15,275 views and I appreciate those who have dropped by and tuned in. Don’t be shy in sharing any questions or comments.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

You can check out my earlier post on “Athens Tips, Suggestions, Examples to Enjoy!” for many details, ideas and interesting visuals on this great city. Lots of ideas here from me and others experienced with Athens. This posting has had over 6,000 views. Appreciate those who have dropped by, made comments, etc.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 106,897 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Don’t miss the sail-in and/or sail-out for Venice. This was our view from the top of the ship as we approached the historic center of Venice. On a beautiful day, as we enjoyed, this is so spectacular!!!:

VeniceSailInWider.jpg

This is a view of the historic Dubrovnik wall at an upward and outward point built on top of the rocks and where it overlooks the Adriatic Sea. Walking this wall is a wonderful and unique way to sample and see up close and personal what makes this city so special.:

DubrovWallWaterViews.jpg

It was a big “WOW” for our first visit to Pisa. This tower is much taller than I expected. They just completed a major cleaning of it a few weeks earlier in the spring, making things perfect, except for that little foundation problem with one tower. Also impressive here are the Pisa Baptistry and Duomo (main) church. Pisa has a couple of major universities here. There is another church here that also also a learning (and shorter) tower. We drove by that site. Two leaning towers in Pisa! How many knew that?:

PisaLeaningTower.jpg

Looking downhill towards the library and other ruins from when Ephesus, along the Turkish Coast, was Rome's capital of Asia Minor. The history here is real and totally amazing! This Library of Celsus was built in honor of a Roman Senator and completed in 135 AD by his son, a Roman Consul and powerful official. The library was built to store 12,000 scrolls and to serve as a tomb for his father. The interior of the library and all its books were destroyed by fire in an earthquake in 262 AD. Only the facade survived, but was later destroyed by another earthquake. In a restoration during the 1960's and 1970's, the front was restored and serves as a key example of Roman public architecture.:

EphRuinsLongShot.jpg

Here was our first view of Istanbul in 2006 from our just-docking cruise ship as we smelled the sweet blend of this historic Turkish city. YES, you could really smell how “special” is this unique city with so much culture, charm and interest! Istanbul has so much variety, history, culture, architecture, people, food, charm, etc. It’s the total experience here that is so amazing.:

1A-Istanbul-Harbor.jpg

Here’s a sampling of the narrow, flowered street in Mykonos in the Greek Isles with its many shops. The streets were made so narrow in order to fend off pirate attackers. It is an island with lots of history and legend dating back thousands of years, including connections to ancient Greek mythology. Ionians settled on Mykonos in the early part of the 11th century BC. As Delos developed as a sacred center, Mykonos was under the influences of the different people, including Phoenicians, Macedonians and Athenians. With the rise of Alexander the Great, the fate of Mykonos became a commercial center for agriculture and maritime trade. Mykonos flourished with enormous wealth during Roman occupation during the reign of Augustus Caesar. During the Middle Ages, Mykonos fell under the Venetians and later were victimized by the Saracens and latter the Turks. Starting in the 1950’s, its unique architecture, seclusion and hospitality have made it a haven for the rich and famous.:

1A-Myk-FlowerStreet.jpg

Wow thanks! Lots of information! Dubrovnik, Kotor,Venice was the trip report that got me so excited! I will check out all the info and sites you gave me.

We have never been to Mediterranean. After reading some resent Mediterranean cruise reports it has peaked my interest. What is the best time of year to cruise the Mediterranean?

For me a very good time is May. We have taken transatlantic cruises departing early May from Florida and follow up cruises in the Mediterranean. The weather was perfect, not too warm and clear sunny days.

Okay, we have been in the Med in July, August, September, October and November. Our best time has been in October. Very little humidity, temperate days and nights (65 - 75 degrees F), very little rain. We are doing it again this year! (We live in the South, the Med can be as brutal in the summer!)

It looks like October would be perfect. Temps of 65-75 would be great! Thanks for input.

We've traveled in May and found it to be perfect. The weather was great and other than in Portugal, not hot, and the ports weren't too busy with tourists. We had no choice but to book for early June next year and I am hoping it is pretty much the same although this time around we are going to Greece/Italy.

Terry in Ohio, thanks for posting the pics. I will be checking out some of your links as well.

Gotta love C.C. for all the info and tips. :)

Wow thanks! Lots of information! Dubrovnik, Kotor,Venice was the trip report that got me so excited! I will check out all the info and sites you gave me.

Debathome: Terry in Ohio' date=' thanks for posting the pics. I will be checking out some of your links as well. Gotta love C.C. for all the info and tips. [/quote']

Appreciate so much the great comments and follow-ups. Keep these good questions and comments rolling along!! Lots of great ideas and people are here on these boards and they are happy to help and share more. Don't be shy!! The only "dumb" question is the one you don't ask. All of that researching and planning will be very helpful for when you do your actual trip and get the "thrills" from that real experience in the Med.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 106,897 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

We have never been to Mediterranean. After reading some resent Mediterranean cruise reports it has peaked my interest. What is the best time of year to cruise the Mediterranean?

We have gone in September. Kids are back in school and the weather is still nice.

We are going to be a bit contrarian and disagree with some of the comments. We have spent a lot of time in the countries that border the Med and have been there in spring, summer and fall (have not gone in the winter). The Med tends to have a huge high pressure weather system that gives it great weather from May though early October. But come mid October things can change. For example, Venice is supposed to be getting some heavy rain (and perhaps flooding) this week which does not happen in the late spring and summer months. As to December, you will find that many things are closed in touristy (but still wonderful) places like Capri and some resort cities will be partially closed..i.e. go to Eze Village in December and you will find many places closed for the season... On the Amalfi Coast you will find that some decent boat options are vastly truncated or gone for the winter. So, taking all this in consideration our favorite time in the Med is from the 2nd half of May through October. For those who have a problem with heat you might want to eliminate July and August from the mix.

Hank

Hank

We are going to be a bit contrarian and disagree with some of the comments. We have spent a lot of time in the countries that border the Med and have been there in spring, summer and fall (have not gone in the winter). The Med tends to have a huge high pressure weather system that gives it great weather from May though early October. But come mid October things can change. For example, Venice is supposed to be getting some heavy rain (and perhaps flooding) this week which does not happen in the late spring and summer months. As to December, you will find that many things are closed in touristy (but still wonderful) places like Capri and some resort cities will be partially closed..i.e. go to Eze Village in December and you will find many places closed for the season... On the Amalfi Coast you will find that some decent boat options are vastly truncated or gone for the winter. So, taking all this in consideration our favorite time in the Med is from the 2nd half of May through October. For those who have a problem with heat you might want to eliminate July and August from the mix.

Hank

Hank

Thanks Hank I am taking all of this in. We usually do not travel in summer. We have a lake cottage and Sept or Oct would be better for us.

Hank

Hank

We did our first med in March of 2009 and overall the weather was alot nicer than i thought it would be. Went from Barcelona as far as Cyprus and Egypt and back. Probably averaged mid 60's to low 70's. Last year went from Barcelona again this time mid May to early June. Weather was outstanding upper 70's to low 80's. Hoping my Oct 21st of 2013 from Rome to Istanbul and back will be at least as decent as the March 2009 trip. What do you think Hank

I have been in the Greek islands in July when it was beastly hot. April was quite poeasant in Rome, and May was great in the Med this year. I suggest you get a copy of Rick Steves' Mediterranean Cruise Ports, read about the ports you can visit and what to do there, and then go looking for an itinerary with your favorites. Unfortunately, he couldn't include every port, no islands other than Greek islands, but you can get other guidebooks for those. EM

You really have to be lucky. We cruised in May and had so much rain in Italy in late May, streets were flooded in Rome.

Next year, this time, we hope to cruise Italy and Croatia etc. At the moment, there appears to be lots of rain.

I would say don't cruise with me because I am not so lucky (lol). On the other hand, a good friend is joining us and she is usually lucky with weather, so I hope her karma is stronger than mine!!

I have been in the Greek islands in July when it was beastly hot. April was quite poeasant in Rome, and May was great in the Med this year. I suggest you get a copy of Rick Steves' Mediterranean Cruise Ports, read about the ports you can visit and what to do there, and then go looking for an itinerary with your favorites. Unfortunately, he couldn't include every port, no islands other than Greek islands, but you can get other guidebooks for those. EM

Thank you just added that information to my lists.

Just back from an Adriatic cruise on Silhouette (17 - 29 Sept). The weather was absolutely perfect - sunny without being too hot - and most of the crowds were gone.

So definitely, another vote for mid to late September.

Interesting that so many are suggesting October for being a great month.

I have a house not too far south of Barcelona, and I would say the best months are May and September for most people. I prefer June, because I like it hot. July and August are the hottest months, and if you get a scorcher it can be oppressively hot.

The Greek side of the Med is probably five degrees celsius hotter on average, so I would say late May.

One thing to not is the last two weeks in July and August are generally the school holidays, which will see Brits, Germans etc., flood much of Greece and Spain for their family holidays.

Another issue is perhaps the sea conditions. It's mostly fantastic, but it can be choppy as early as October, and rough seas and weather will also be a possibility from about then to April.

We cruise the Med every year usually back to back and read many myths about worries travellers need not have!

1. It is nice any time between late April and late Oct. Have not cruised later than mid Nov. when it was nice in the southern regions such as Israel and Egypt. You can get showers any time but they would be rare in July or August. Weather cannot be guaranteed anywhere but the Med. is more blessed than most!

2.Venice does not smell! We were there in Aug. when it is supposed to smell in high summer but there was no whiff whatsoever! Venice will be superb and cooler in Oct. but was not crowded in July this year. St Marks Square is pleasantly busy of course but elsewhere quiet and uncrowded.

3.Security is not a problem. If you are in a port where there is a protest (highly unlikely and unlucky) the ship would advise a detour. The TV coverage is from rare episodes in places like Madrid, not normally on the cruise itinerary!

4. Back to weather, in late or early season the best weather in to the south and nearer southern Greece and North Africa naturally.

We have done 3 Medditerranean cruise, between May 16 to June 10

Great weather, sunraise up by 5:30 sunset at 9

Never had any rain, not many tourists

Agree...we have done two. Perfect weather on both and both mid-May - first of June. Sunny, not too hot, lovely, lovely...(and no smell in Venice, I agree, think that is an old wives tale)

Archived