Anyone else on the Caribbean stuck in Boston?

Bekachan

..... No fresh baked cookies but we do have several quarts of melting ice cream, which makes it "soft serve" - I can try to twirl it into a cone for you! :)

Cheers, Kirsten

Kirsten what a wonderful offer and most of us won't even complain if you don't have our flavor of choice. :D

Hey maybe we could watch Pirates of the Caribbean too! :p

Correction: tonight's Movies Under The Camping Lantern will be a double feature: the classic "Gone With The Wind" followed by the not as classic "Tornado!" No fresh baked cookies but we do have several quarts of melting ice cream, which makes it "soft serve" - I can try to twirl it into a cone for you! :)

Cheers,

Kirsten

LOL, hope you have sprinkles for your soft serve :):D

Are you serious?

Please tell me how they were "well informed?"

Very true, Yogimax. We were not informed and when we called Princess they said, "Halifax." No calls were made to us directly and if my husband didn't have a wife trying to keep up to date, he would have been in his Bermuda shorts.

First, I've not yet sailed Princess (will in April 2013 transatlantic then Baltics) - so I'm not a "cheerleader" and don't work for Princess, etc. My upmost concern is for the safety and security of all of citizen up and down the east coast. Lives are being lost and compared to that, any conversations about compensation pale in comparison - and seem quite pett, IMHO. Be an informed consumer - know what season you're booking in - alway buy insurance that covers weather, etc. - and use your own good judgment. No one is forcing you to do anything. If you think it is unsafe to travel and spend "rocky" days and nights on a cruise "to nowhere" - don't go and reschedule. I'm much more concerned about people's lives and destroyed property and not so much about your OBC.

First, I've not yet sailed Princess (will in April 2013 transatlantic then Baltics) - so I'm not a "cheerleader" and don't work for Princess, etc. My upmost concern is for the safety and security of all of citizen up and down the east coast. Lives are being lost and compared to that, any conversations about compensation pale in comparison - and seem quite pett, IMHO. Be an informed consumer - know what season you're booking in - alway buy insurance that covers weather, etc. - and use your own good judgment. No one is forcing you to do anything. If you think it is unsafe to travel and spend "rocky" days and nights on a cruise "to nowhere" - don't go and reschedule. I'm much more concerned about people's lives and destroyed property and not so much about your OBC.

Yeah, I would not advise buying travel insurance, unless it just make you feel better. Statistics say do not buy it and it's a waste of money. Much like buying extended warranties on electronics or a car. Sometimes bad luck or bad weather happens, just dealing with it usually works.

Very true, Yogimax. We were not informed and when we called Princess they said, "Halifax." No calls were made to us directly and if my husband didn't have a wife trying to keep up to date, he would have been in his Bermuda shorts.

Would you have been happier with Halifax? Something tells me "no".

Tripper10 - I agree with your post about insurance if you understand and are willing to accept the risk and consequences. I'm risk adverse and have had to use insurance twice. It would have cost me around $7,500 (total for two trips) had I not had insurance.

I completely agree & many of us feel the same way...it doesn't have anything to do with which cruise line we prefer because I'd feel the same way with any cruies line.

Tripper10 - I agree with your post about insurance if you understand and are willing to accept the risk and consequences. I'm risk adverse and have had to use insurance twice. It would have cost me around $7,500 (total for two trips) had I not had insurance.

I'm happy the insurance has worked out for you. I just travel with the mentality that "stuff happens". I just try to minimize the loss with strategic plans, usually with alternative plans if something happens.

Yeah, I would not advise buying travel insurance, unless it just make you feel better. Statistics say do not buy it and it's a waste of money. Much like buying extended warranties on electronics or a car. Sometimes bad luck or bad weather happens, just dealing with it usually works.
I agree with you with regards to warranties. However, I disagree when it comes to cruise insurance. The reason being that if you don't purchase a warranty, your loss is confined to the cost of the appliance, car, etc. When you are on a ship and experience a medical issue, it can be life threatening as you are likely hours or days from help. Your costs can also be astronomical... many times more than the cost of a cruise. I experienced this personally and yes, my BIL eventually died because he was on a ship, not land. His (and our) insurance paid out many times the cost of the cruise for expenses. I'm guessing the final amount covered by insurance was probably around $75,000, not including what was covered by medical insurance.

If it's a travel issue, a flight you purchased months before could also cost many times more if it has to be changed or you have to fly elsewhere to catch up with the ship.

"Stuff" happens. What about all those people from other parts of the country who are not able to fly for days, even though the weather here is sunny and warm? There are so many things that can screw up a cruise and wind up costing you hundreds or thousands more that your original cost.

Quick question...did you book through a travel agent?

Correction: tonight's Movies Under The Camping Lantern will be a double feature: the classic "Gone With The Wind" followed by the not as classic "Tornado!" No fresh baked cookies but we do have several quarts of melting ice cream, which makes it "soft serve" - I can try to twirl it into a cone for you! :)

Cheers,

Kirsten

Maybe a midnight showing of "Perfect Storm." (Well, that might be overdoing it.);)

I am on the management team for a Travel Insurance company and people have been down right abusive to my associates. People PLEASE read your cerificate of insurance when you purchase .... if you are not satisfied with it you have 10 days from the date of purchase to cancel the policy. Just because you have the insurance doesn't mean it covers your situation. OK ... there is my vent!

Maybe a midnight showing of "Perfect Storm." (Well, that might be overdoing it.);)
Good movie, plus eye candy (George Clooney). That was one heck of a storm; I remember it well as I lived on the MA coast at the time. Maybe a double-feature with the "Poseidon Adventure." :)

I'm happy the insurance has worked out for you. I just travel with the mentality that "stuff happens". I just try to minimize the loss with strategic plans, usually with alternative plans if something happens.

You don't buy insurance because of the cost of the cruise; most of us could easily self-insure. You buy it to cover an emergency evacuation or the cost of having a family member stay with you if you're hospitalized overseas or medical costs if your health insurance doesn't pay for international medical costs. As Pam pointed out, the cruise cost is minimal compared to what expenses could be incurred.

I have to say, though, as I did a few days ago, that discounting cruisers' concerns because there are people suffering in this storm is ridiculous. There are people suffering through something in this world every day; that doesn't minimize other people's frustration. Should we all just sit back and wait until there's nothing bad in the world before we're allowed to do what's required to take care of ourselves and our own situations? Yes, we're certainly seeing greediness and unreasonableness on the part of some posters, but we're also seeing bullying and holier than thou attitudes on the part of others.

You don't buy insurance because of the cost of the cruise; most of us could easily self-insure. You buy it to cover an emergency evacuation or the cost of having a family member stay with you if you're hospitalized overseas or medical costs if your health insurance doesn't pay for international medical costs. As Pam pointed out, the cruise cost is minimal compared to what expenses could be incurred.

I have to say, though, as I did a few days ago, that discounting cruisers' concerns because there are people suffering in this storm is ridiculous. There are people suffering through something in this world every day; that doesn't minimize other people's frustration. Should we all just sit back and wait until there's nothing bad in the world before we're allowed to do what's required to take care of ourselves and our own situations? Yes, we're certainly seeing greediness and unreasonableness on the part of some posters, but we're also seeing bullying and holier than thou attitudes on the part of others.

True. While it's important to be sensitive about the condition of others (God bless those in harm's way tonight!)... this is a cruise discussion board, and by definition, virtually everything discussed here is going to reflect an embarrassment of riches. People are starving and we're discussing our favorite gelato flavor....

PescadoAmarillo - simple - the answer to your "question" is YES. There is a very serious storm battering up and down the east coast. Petty complaining about how much compensation one gets comes across as just that - petty. Sometimes people need to sit back and show concern for others who really are in danger and less about a few more quarters in their pocketbooks. To give you a comparison (on a much greater scale of tragedy, of course) - people complaining about not being able to fly out of NYC after the attacks on 9/11 - yes - there were people who only thought of themselves and not of a greater concern.

Good movie, plus eye candy (George Clooney). That was one heck of a storm; I remember it well as I lived on the MA coast at the time. Maybe a double-feature with the "Poseidon Adventure." :)

Triple feature. Add "Titanic."

Archived