Where to put valuables when at a beach

new.b.cruiser

Hi,

I am going on my first cruise this December and I have no idea what to do with my stuff when I go to the beach. What are you supposed to do with your wallet/money/credit cards/purse when you go swimming. Also I plan on going snorkling at one port but where do I leave my stuff??I want to make sure I have money or a credit card with me to buy things after swimming like food or shopping...

I would really appreciate any and all ideas

Thanks!!

If you need something that holds several items, I have a waterproof "fanny pack" which a friend bought for me on-line, sorry I can not tell you where to get it. I find it works good for the 30 minutes or so that I spend in the water at any one time. I also put my belongings into zip lock bags inside the "fanny pack".

I leave my stuff on the beach....it's not like I'm not going to be able to "watch" my spot! I'm just taking a dip, not practicing for a swimming marathon! We don't bring much...and no "valuables"....no one wants your tee shirt or flip-flops....the little cash we bring is in my very small pocketbook, inside our beach tote. Room key and credit card go into the pages of an old paperback book....

You really don't need a "waterproof" container for these items....your key and credit card are plastic...water won't hurt them...and cash is still spendable when wet, if you choose to take them in the water with you.

We don't bring "valuables" with us when we go to the beach. Maybe $20 in singles and fives, no jewelry other than my $15 watch, the ships card and that's pretty much it. We'll go back to the ship and change and bring more stuff with us if we're going shopping, touring, etc. We don't take a lot of "stuff" with us when we go to the beach, but I've never seen anyone rummaging through someone else's beach bag or belongings or grabbing them and taking off.

Ship's key card and your credit card are waterproof - so probably is your photo ID (likely a driver's license), a zip lock bag, inside another will keep money dry. You do not need anything else in the way of valuables. I always use a bathing suit with a zippered pocket, so I can keep all "valuables" on me. A waterproof fanny pack also works. NEVER think it is safe to leave anything of value on the beach unguarded - even for the few minutes you will be in the water -- it just takes a few seconds for a beach scavenger (and all Caribbean beaches are full of them) to spot you putting something between the pages of a book, or in the toe of a shoe -- and then: poof.

I use something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/WATERPROOF-CONTAINER-AIRTIGHT-MONEY-BEACH/dp/B001DKAX44/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1353457023&sr=8-3&keywords=water+safe

I put my key card, credit card and, if necessary, some cash in it. I have a waterproof camera that will go into the water with me. I'll leave my clothes & such on the beach, but nothing important.

So apart from waterproof cameras, no one takes cameras to the beach? I was really hoping there would be lockers of some sort - I'm travelling with my partner & i would love to get pics at the beach :/
I take a waterproof camera with me to the beach. I bought it specifically for some snorkeling excursions a few years ago, but I have found that it's great to have a camera that can go into the water with me. I've taken some great shots of the beach from the water.

For my cash, ID, etc., I always make sure my swim suit has a pocket with a zipper or a full velcro enclosure. As CB said, cash can be spent even when wet. No one has yet turned down cash even when it's wet.

I take a waterproof camera with me to the beach. I bought it specifically for some snorkeling excursions a few years ago, but I have found that it's great to have a camera that can go into the water with me. I've taken some great shots of the beach from the water.

For my cash, ID, etc., I always make sure my swim suit has a pocket with a zipper or a full velcro enclosure. As CB said, cash can be spent even when wet. No one has yet turned down cash even when it's wet.

Cheers for the post. We've got a new camera that we want to take, maybe between now & then we'll invest in a waterproof casing... just had a look & the pricing of a case if more than a new underwater camera :/

May do some more research into lockers - I assume that those hiring snorkel gear would hire lockers...

You have been given good advice. We recently returned from a Med/Holy Land cruise where a passenger (a policeman in real life) left his valuables on a beach in Israel for only a few minutes and returned to find their passports, credit cards and cash all stolen. The basic rules for the beach are to take as few valuables as possible. We routinely snorkel (and have also done SCUBA) and keep our few valuables in a "Splash Caddy" which is a waterproof nylon fanny pack that contains a triple sealed special waterproof plastic storage bag. This system is used by many SCUBA divers and will work down to depths of over 100 feet. Its relatively inexpensive and you can buy it at many places on line for about $20.

Hank

Archived