How fast could you pack ?

Sailor_Sally

I am considering a last minute cruise. I usually so some clothes planning but not near what some people do so I was wondering could you book a last minute cruise ( four days before departure ) and be packed & ready or would it make you crazy ?I live in Florida so no flying would be needed and 75% of my wardrobe is warm weather clothes so I am going to give it a whirl .

Go for it! I am a hard core planner when I have months before a trip. That actually makes me more crazy! If I had just a few days, it would probably be easier-- no time to over think it! Especially for a warm weather cruise, you could get by packing less. And if you forget something, you can always go shopping. I'd say keep it simple and go and have a great time!

I'm a planner too, but to me - that means that I have a well-tested and longstanding basic packing list. I could be out the door in an hour and not go naked. If I had a day, I could do laundry and make sure I get all the clothing items I want:p

I could also pack last minute. 4 days? After all these years of cruising,

for a Caribbean cruise? I am not packed much ahead 1/2 the time

anyway. 4 days is more than enough time to pack (for me)...I don't

usually pack much more than that anyway (time wise)

If is something like a European Cruise, that might be a little different

but for cruise out of South Florida? I could also pack a day before

and leave, no problem:).

Go for it! I am a hard core planner when I have months before a trip. That actually makes me more crazy! If I had just a few days, it would probably be easier-- no time to over think it!

I am a lot like this . If I have months I obsess over every aspect of packing & planning but the times I had wing it everything got packed and I had plenty of clothes.

IF I lived in FL near a port and didn't have to drive or fly......2 hours at the most.

I booked a cruise on a Friday at appox 11 am, did laundry, cleaned out fridge, packed, in bed by 10, up Sat morning, drove 550 miles to New Orleans, caught the ship on Sun for a 7 night cruise

I start a packing list with my existing wardrobe when I book. That's usually a year out so I just change my list depending on the clothes that I buy throughout the year. So I could pack in a few hours, given that I had all the toiletries that I needed. For me, the anticipation and planning are a lot of the fun though so it wouldn't be for me.

We travel alot, so I don't really need a "list"...I know what to take for any given weather situation.....

It's the toiletries that get you on those "last minute" things...gotta make sure you've got enough mascara, or foundation!!!

IF I lived in FL near a port and didn't have to drive or fly......2 hours at the most.

I booked a cruise on a Friday at appox 11 am, did laundry, cleaned out fridge, packed, in bed by 10, up Sat morning, drove 550 miles to New Orleans, caught the ship on Sun for a 7 night cruise

Wow ! You are my idol !

I am so jealous of your last-minute cruise! If it wasn't for my dog needing kennel reservations and to be dropped off there, and my darn job, I could easily be ready to go within an hour. :)

And I actually can drive to all of the Florida ports except Jacksonville in 4 hours or less...I need to find out where to go to find these last-minute deals!

Have a great time!

I do disaster medicine trips where I have to be able to deploy within hours. I am used to keeping my uniform bags packed and at the ready in their own suitcases.

On cruises I tend to pack and wear the same items cruise after cruise, so I know exactly what I'd grab and pack on short notice. Much of it is kept in the closet together. I also lean to items that are multi-functional. I have two toiletry kits- one for my disaster trips (with a wider array of items) and one for vacation type travel (more frou frou stuff). So if I were i a pinch for time I could really pack fast just grabbing one or the other.

Four days notice would be a piece of cake!

I could do it in less than 2 hours. We keep the toiletry kit packed all the time, my carry on bag has all our daily essentials (brush, toothbrush, razors, etc... duplicated and ready to go. We found out years ago that we would forget one little essential and then have to spend precious vacation time hunting down a replacement (at double the cost), so just keeping it packed and ready is the answer.

The one and a half to two hours would be to select the clothes, do a little ironing and get the suitcases down from the rafters.

It would be nerve wracking, but worth it :)

4 days? No problem -

We cruise often ( 6-8 times a year) and travel a bit and I can pack for a 7 night cruise in 30 minutes or less. Make-up and hair products are always packed. When I return, I fill all the small bottles and replenish products as needed so I am ready for the next trip. My cruise staples are black slacks and white slacks so they will match nearly whatever tops I decide to take. Seven nights is two formal and five casual. Five casual nights is two pairs of slacks (one black one ****e) , five tops . One or two cocktail dresses for formal night. Throw in a sundress for good measure. A few accessories. A few capris/shorts/skirts and a few casual tops, 3 swimsuits and a cover up. Beach shoes, evening sandals, flats, gym shoes ( oh and a few pieces of gym attire) , one casual evening bag, one dressy evening bag , one beach bag and I’m ready to go! 3 night cruise is even less and in a carry-on.

I don’t pack for “what if” except for maybe the sundress. I use the ship laundry service (I sail RCCL and they have no self-laundry) and cleaning. In fact a few cruises ago I spilled a full glass of RED WINE on my white linen slacks and the ship cleaning service got the stain out and made the pants look better than new!

I love to look at the outfits posted on this board and the discussion of the perfect shoe and bag for each outfit, but I could never be bothered with all that. I like to pack light. Fewer choices really makes getting dressed very easy. Packing /unpacking both at home and on the ship is much easier.

Enjoy

M

In 2011 I flew home from a huge convention on Wednesday night, getting home around 1:00 am. I woke up on Friday around 7:30, did two loads of laundry and packed myself, son, and husband. Also took care of some business emails and the dogs. We left for the port at 11:00 and were on the ship at 1:00.

If I only had to pack for me and the laundry was done, I could do it in 15 minutes.

I could book and travel two days out. One day might be a bit too tight. :eek:

Our carryons are always packed and I replace anything we used up immediately when we return.

We've been on so many cruises, it's easy to think about what to pack. I clearly could forget something but as long as we have passports, Rx medications, cash, credit cards and each other, we'd manage fine. :)

Archived