Is "spring break" over by the beginning of April?

DH and I are booked for a cruise leaving April 6, we generally try to cruise during unpopular times to avoid crowds, at least as much as possible. We have never cruised in April before, is there still a holdover of spring breakers? Should they all be done and back to school by then?

Thanks in advance for any input!

There are other threads you may want to search on this subject, but in general there is no "one time" for spring break. School districts vary around the country with this as well as different weeks for college spring break. I think it is safe to say that anytime from early March through early April can be someone's spring break. (and maybe even a little later). I also think that mid-late March is probably the height of break time, however.

DH and I are booked for a cruise leaving April 6, we generally try to cruise during unpopular times to avoid crowds, at least as much as possible. We have never cruised in April before, is there still a holdover of spring breakers? Should they all be done and back to school by then?

I live in a Spring Break town, so I'll tell you what I see every year. The bulk of college Spring Break is during March, especially mid March. However, come April, more grade schools are on their Spring Breaks, mostly lasting in to the second week.

Another Spring Break town - college in March and public schools mostly April. In the South the public schools tend to center their spring breaks around Easter. So depending on when Easter is next year there will be many schools the week before and the week after.

Growing up in Chicago, our spring break was around the first week of April. I just sent a text to my cousin, who is in high school in suburban Chicago, and she says it's the week of April 1-5 for her. So, while peak SB time may just be past, it's definitely still ongoing. I would say anything from early March through mid-April will encounter a good number of spring break travelers from somewhere.

There are other threads you may want to search on this subject, but in general there is no "one time" for spring break. School districts vary around the country with this as well as different weeks for college spring break. I think it is safe to say that anytime from early March through early April can be someone's spring break. (and maybe even a little later). I also think that mid-late March is probably the height of break time, however.

With Easter on March 31 this year? No way. MANY schools will have spring break the week before that (late March) or the week after (early April.)

With Easter on March 31 this year? No way. MANY schools will have spring break the week before that (late March) or the week after (early April.)

However, in many northeastern states the grade and high shools have a Spring vacation period during the month of April. In Massachusetts it is usually around Patriots' Day (April 19th) while in NH and RI it may be a week earlier. College spring breaks may pretty much be over but if you want totally to avoid kids and families, April can also be a problem

However, in many northeastern states the grade and high shools have a Spring vacation period during the month of April. In Massachusetts it is usually around Patriots' Day (April 19th) while in NH and RI it may be a week earlier. College spring breaks may pretty much be over but if you want totally to avoid kids and families, April can also be a problem

I understand all that, and I wasn't saying those two weeks were the only spring break weeks; I was simply responding to someone who said they thought mid-March was peak spring break season. I was giving one huge example (Easter) of why I doubted that was true, at least as far as K-12 schools. :)

We usually cruise the end of April/beginning of May, see my history below, specifically to avoid Spring break. We did cruise once on a cruise departing 4/6 on Navigator and found more crowds, but not an unruly drunken mob.

I understand all that, and I wasn't saying those two weeks were the only spring break weeks; I was simply responding to someone who said they thought mid-March was peak spring break season. I was giving one huge example (Easter) of why I doubted that was true, at least as far as K-12 schools. :)

You're both right....you're talking about 2 different school types. For college, mid March is still peak SB time. Grade schools, a little later.

You quoted me, and what I said was "I think that mid-late March is probably the height of break time". Not limited to mid March . I also said that spring break can run into early April or later. Please re-read - I stand by what I said in the entirety of my post, not just the context that you just mis-stated. My comments were not specific to dates but a generalization of the timeframe - which I also stated.

But I do agree that with Easter Sunday falling on 3/31 this year that the first week of April will also be busy this year.

We usually cruise the end of April/beginning of May, see my history below, specifically to avoid Spring break. We did cruise once on a cruise departing 4/6 on Navigator and found more crowds, but not an unruly drunken mob.

We do the same. Partly because of my work restrictions, but also because we have found that this time frame does not cater to school breaks. That is probably why we ended up on the same cruise!:D

One way I discovered to find the spring break demand is by looking at the price of the cruise. If the same cruise is avaiable in other weeks and yours is cheaper, then there probably won't be as many spring breakers.

Of course since DWs employer is a school board, we can only take vacation during peak family times. So it kind of kills my strategy.

For others reading, the best strategy to avoid spring breakers is take longer cruises, or pick ones that depart and arrive in different weeks.

And even after that since spring break for some northeast states starts the week of Patriots day which is April 15th this year.

What is patriot's day? Never hear of that one. Must be small and/or local.

I don't know if we are supposed to list other sites here, but I just went to ask.com......when is spring break2013 .......and chose the site with the answer. Spring break for colleges starts Feb 16 and runs till April 13. Looks like the site is inertia tours/ spring break

Archived