Venice or Istanbul?

scrapncruz

Desperately trying to decide between itineraries. Would you go to Venice or Istanbul?

It would depend on what you like. I have been to both, and personally prefer Istanbul only because of the history there and I fell in love with Turkey. Venice is smaller and more limited, BUT Venice is also beautiful and full of history (and has Italian food) :D

I would research both ports, see what they offer, and only you can decide which one would be better for you. The cruise we took included both -- would that be possible?

Desperately trying to decide between itineraries. Would you go to Venice or Istanbul?

I prefer and love Venice, but recommend both. HAL's Mediterranean Empires 12 day cruise that begins and ends in Venice, also includes Istanbul as a port of call and would be my choice. We took that cruise in May of 2010, and it was excellent.

What a difficult choice! I love them both but have to admit I enjoy Istanbul more. The history and the "East meets West" vibe, plus the friendly people, good shopping and good food make it second only to Rome in terms of my favorite cities of the world.

Wasn't a American turist just murdered in Istanbul?? not that that would stop me If I wanted to go there

Yes, but while highly unfortunate, such things are extremely rare in Istanbul.

It would depend on what you like. I have been to both, and personally prefer Istanbul only because of the history there and I fell in love with Turkey. Venice is smaller and more limited, BUT Venice is also beautiful and full of history (and has Italian food) :D

I would research both ports, see what they offer, and only you can decide which one would be better for you. Quote

---------------------

A perfect answer!! We have been to both cities several times, both as port stops and land vacations, and one of us would choose Venice and the other Istanbul. If you can only go to one, do the research and make your decision, a visit to the other one can be on a future cruise.

Loved Istanbul and Turkey; Venice is interesting and certainly not boring. I think it is more expensive. You will not make a mistake with either if you have never been.

I wondered about the tourist in Istanbul; traveling alone, not staying in the tourist area hotels, not taking tours etc. A foreign woman in NYC or Chicago going off the beaten path alone.....things could happen here also.

That itinerary also includes Cairo and Port Said and I'm afraid with the unrest they will pull those ports and don't know where they will substitute so we're a little reluctant to book that one.

Cairo and Port Said aren't included in the ports of call for the cruise that I suggested. Look on the HAL web site for the 12 Day "Mediterranean Empires" cruise that begins and ends in Venice. The cruise includes an overnight in both Venice and Istanbul. I think there are 4 sailing dates to choose from.

These two ports are so different. Venice is magnificently beautiful and civilized. It is quite easy to walk around Venice but do not try to haul luggage - too many ups and downs on bridges. Istanbul is has certain charm but is a little rough around the edges. Seems every time I am in Istanbul I get hassled by Vendors. Once one vendor came out of his stall to cuss me out because I bought a rug from a different vendor. The second time two young boys selling cigarettes at night on a dark street were pestering us in a threatening way. But don't get me wrong Istanbul has lots of interesting sights to see... Just use caution.

Cairo and Port Said aren't included in the ports of call for the cruise that I suggested. Look on the HAL web site for the 12 Day "Mediterranean Empires" cruise that begins and ends in Venice. The cruise includes an overnight in both Venice and Istanbul. I think there are 4 sailing dates to choose from.

I just looked it up, and it looks great. Italy, Greece and Turkey -- wow. That's the one I would choose if I wanted both Venice and Istanbul. The one we took a few years ago included Egypt. I agree, there's too much of a chance the ship wouldn't go there now.

My cruise there had an overnight in each port. Perhaps I was just too tired from traveling to get the most out of Venice (it was the embarkation port, and the weather was terrible), but have to say I loved Istanbul. It is interesting, exotic, and has much to offer.

You really can't go wrong with either port.

We have been to both and enjoyed both. But if I were to pick - I would pick Venice. Many beautiful things to see (besides the standard tourist things) and the sail in and out of this port is truly magnificent:D

i don't think you can go wrong - no matter what you choose:)

Wow, that is a very tough choice. We did both of them last year (Overnights in each city on the Nieuw Amsterdam). Just loved Venice but I found Istanbul somewhat more exotic. And a lot less expensive. Istanbul was the more congested but I loved it anyways. Took the tram everywhere. My DW however found Venice to be magical. Find a cruise that does both??:confused:

Both are wonderful ports. If your cruise begins or ends in Venice you should be aware that getting to the ship from the airport and back again isn't as simple as getting a cab. If tides are high, and your hotel isn't on the Grand Canal, you may have to walk from the Grand Canal to your hotel. Not fun after an overnight flight. But, no other city in the world is like Venice. It is truly special. It is also a expensive port.

I just looked it up, and it looks great. Italy, Greece and Turkey -- wow. That's the one I would choose if I wanted both Venice and Istanbul. The one we took a few years ago included Egypt. I agree, there's too much of a chance the ship wouldn't go there now.

When we took this cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam two years ago, it also included both Santorini and Mykonos, which were two Greek Isles I'd long wanted to visit. The cruise was port intensive, but one of the best I've been on. (Hope to repeat it next year with other members of my family.) Some of the ports of call change from year to year, but they have kept the overnights in both Venice and Istanbul, with Santorini and Athens in the mix. Our cruise also stopped in Split (Croatia), Ephesus and a couple of other ports and two sea days. We booked a Retreat Cabana on the two sea days - a wonderful way to rest up.

We flew to Venice two days early, so had some time to rest up and explore before the cruise. The day that you board the ship, it remains in Venice overnight and the sail away is late the following afternoon. The sail away is unforgettable - right down the Giudecca Canal (not to be confused with the Grand Canal.)

A special way to "arrive" in Venice is to take a private water taxi from the airport to your hotel - a bit of a splurge, but wonderful. Bus transportation is available and much less expensive. There's lots of great info about Venice online to help plan your arrival.

We have spent time and had multiple land trips to both cities. We have also been on cruises that started or ended in both cities.

We really like both cities and would never recommend one over the other. It is very much a function or your particular wants, likes, and dislike since they are so different. It may also depend on whether you plan to build in any pre or post land trips and where you would like to go.

I will say this...one day in either city is just not enough. You need a few days to really see the sights and get a feel for these wonderful places. That is one of the downsides of cruising...not enough time in each place

Enjoy your trip....whichever itinerary you select.

Archived