Credit Card Skimming

ROXIETHEHORSE

We returned from our cruise yesterday and received a phone call last night from our credit card company's fraud unit.

Before going on our trip (Galveston-Roatan-Belize-Cozumel-Galveston) we notified our credit card company of what countries we would be traveling to and on what dates. This is NOT the credit card that we had on file with the cruise ship. We used a different card for onshore purchases.

We used this card in Roatan and Cozumel. Charges started to appear on this card in Houston for the 15th and 16th. We got off the ship the morning of the 16th. We used this card in 3 places along the way back home to San Antonio.

Clearly, someone skimmed the card in either Honduras or Cozumel and knew what the ship's schedule was. The 15th was a sea day and we would (probably) not be viewing credit card transaction info.

When we started using the card on the way to San Antonio and someone else was using the card info in Houston, red flags went up for Chase.

It looks like they charged around $300 or $350 worth of stuff. Chase has shut down the card and removed the unauthorized charges.

Just an FYI to check your credit card charges online as soon as you get home. And always notify your charge card company of when and where you will be traveling. I believe this was the third time that Chase has caught fraud happening on one of our accounts.

We do not use our card at what appear to be "shady" establishments. All purchases were made in the cruise port shopping area and one at a resort. We use a credit card onshore and only bring a small amount of cash. If someone steals our cash, it is simply gone. At least by using a credit card, if we are targeted, we are off the hook.

Cruise port shopping areas are very touristy and things do happen. Americans will quickly hand their credit card to a stranger in any store or restaurant (this is the way we do things in the USA) and have no issues when the clerk or waiter takes the card out of one's site to process the charge. Any clerk/waiter can easily copy down the credit card numbers (and verification code) in a few seconds. This is why Europe (and most of the world) use a Chip/PIN system (which the USA credit card companies refuse to adopt) and also why in Europe you never need to let a card out of your site since they use portable card readers at your table.

So what to do? We try to minimize using our credit cards when traveling (except in hotels) and make very liberal use of our ATM card to obtain cash. And we always check our credit card accounts (online) on a very routine basis when traveling. We also agree that its wise (and sometimes required) to notify your credit card companies and ATM issuing bank of your trip itinerary.

Hank

Been traveling for 40+ years, we also notify the credit card company where and when we travel. We have also made it a personal policy we only use credit cards on the ship and major hotels (i.e., Hilton, Hyatt, etc.) and we use cash for everything else.

Cruise port shopping areas are very touristy and things do happen. Americans will quickly hand their credit card to a stranger in any store or restaurant (this is the way we do things in the USA) and have no issues when the clerk or waiter takes the card out of one's site to process the charge. Any clerk/waiter can easily copy down the credit card numbers (and verification code) in a few seconds. This is why Europe (and most of the world) use a Chip/PIN system (which the USA credit card companies refuse to adopt) and also why in Europe you never need to let a card out of your site since they use portable card readers at your table.

<snip>

Hank

Why won't U.S. credit card companies use the European style Chip/PIN system?

There were only 2 places where the credit card was run out of our sight...Tanzanite International in Roatan and Nachi Co Com in Cozumel. But, there is really no way to know for sure. If someone used a skimmer all they needed to do was turn the card over to look at the 3 digit code. That can be done in view of the customer very easily.

It won't stop us from using credit cards while traveling. We just make sure to use the same one all the time and have others for a backup.

Heck, Chase caught someone trying to use our CC in Aruba when we had not travelled at all around that time. I had made one charge in a town near our home on one evening and made a charge in another town near our home the next morning. In between, someone used that card number in Aruba. Got a call from Chase fraud unit within 10 minutes of the charge I made that morning.

We have tried to find out an answer to this question and there seems to be several issues mentioned by the credit card companies. The biggest problem are that there are 10s of millions of various card readers around the USA that would all need to be changed over to a Chip-PIN system. There are various estimates of the cost but they all are in the hundreds of millions of dollars to over 1 billion. In addition, just manufacturing the card costs more then the current magnetic strip card and there are more then 1 billion US cards in circulation. So it comes down to money!

We do a lot of international travel and it is now becoming increasingly difficult to use a US issued card in many foreign countries. Every year the situation is becoming more bleak for US travelers. In fact, it is now nearly impossible to purchase gasoline in the evening hours in most of Europe since a majority of gas stations close at night and only work on European EMV cards. This has caused us lots of grief when we have to turn-in a car at night and need to fill the tank. Our cards will also not work in many other automated machines such as toll booths, parking lot machines (you can get trapped in a parking lot/garage), etc.

Hank

In fact, it is now nearly impossible to purchase gasoline in the evening hours in most of Europe since a majority of gas stations close at night and only work on European EMV cards.

Hank

Don't feel singled out......I've had that happen to me in the US, where most of the pumps won't accept a non-US credit card, and unless you're at a station that's manned at that hour, you're out of luck.

We have tried to find out an answer to this question and there seems to be several issues mentioned by the credit card companies. The biggest problem are that there are 10s of millions of various card readers around the USA that would all need to be changed over to a Chip-PIN system. There are various estimates of the cost but they all are in the hundreds of millions of dollars to over 1 billion. In addition, just manufacturing the card costs more then the current magnetic strip card and there are more then 1 billion US cards in circulation. So it comes down to money!

We do a lot of international travel and it is now becoming increasingly difficult to use a US issued card in many foreign countries. Every year the situation is becoming more bleak for US travelers. In fact, it is now nearly impossible to purchase gasoline in the evening hours in most of Europe since a majority of gas stations close at night and only work on European EMV cards. This has caused us lots of grief when we have to turn-in a car at night and need to fill the tank. Our cards will also not work in many other automated machines such as toll booths, parking lot machines (you can get trapped in a parking lot/garage), etc.

Hank

Yes, Hank. I finally got a pin card, but no chip! will use the link posted to try again. Thanks to all who are helping out with this.

• 1 month later...

After $12,000 in charges, the company replaced our card with one that has the chip technology. I'm not sure how chips work. Do they only work on machines that use the chips? I'd think not, since we haven't been rejected since getting this card.

Years ago, we had about $1,200 in charges the week after returning from a cruise, so now we use mostly cash in the Caribbean.

Both times, they froze our card and didn't hold us responsible for the fraudulent charges.

Maybe it's just bad luck, but even though I've been more careful with my cards. I've had more fraud recently. One of the times, the merchant's database got hacked, and we got a letter telling us to call our credit card company. I started using ShopSafe for online purchases, but don't know if they have a form of Shopsafe for travel.

There is no certain way to guarantee your credit card's safety.....our card was compromised in our own town....the fraudulent charges were made 4 states away. Nothing is totally safe.

The credit card company will rectify any mistakes. Not a big deal.

I'm not sure how chips work. Do they only work on machines that use the chips? I'd think not, since we haven't been rejected since getting this card.

We've had the chip/pin cards in Canada for the past couple of years and yes, they can be used on other credit card machines - both the "swipe" type, and the old fashioned manual machines. Sometimes when you swipe the card, you will have to sign for it, other times you insert your pin. Either way, they work well.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Gerry

Your credit card information is not 100% safe anywhere, not even in your own home on your own secure network. Thankfully the credit card companies are very vigilant and have a system of 'suspicion triggers' that work amazingly well. Our last issue was very intriguing. Just before the end of the year, I had been making a series of online donations to several very reputable nationwide charities over the course of an hour or so. A phone call interrupted me - the credit card company calling about 'suspicious' activity. I thought they were just checking on the unusually large number of charges in a relatively short period of time.

That was not the case - they had picked up on one charge to a supposedly reputable charity that I had NOT donated to. The charge was for an amount similar to what I was donating to the others. I asked how they knew that one was not legitimate, but the others were, but they declined to discuss their methods. I later figured out they must be able to identify the computer source of the charge data - pretty impressive! Somehow, someone had hacked into one of the charity's networks and was skimming information real time. So....don't be too quick to blame the place where you charged something.

The point of this - use caution no matter where you are, but your credit card company will likely be there to protect you.

If it's a credit that has an RFID chip it doesn't even have to leave your wallet/purse have the information stolen.

Read this article http://lifehacker.com/5896785/foil-electronic-pickpockets-with-aluminum-foil-or-multiple-credit-cards

Chip cards have a printed circuit on the face of the card, in the middle on the left. This circuit must be in contact with the reader hardware to be read.

RFID cards may have a WiFi like logo on the face of the card (mine has a $ circled by two arrows). The technology involves a chip with antenna embedded in the card. The card has to be within 1-4 inches of a scanner for it to be read. Even if a thief is somehow able to get their scanner that close to the card all they'll get is encrypted data.

Both these technologies can be in the same card. Both have the advantage that they never have to leave the owners possession. RFID has the added advantage that the card doesn't have to leave one's wallet.

The credit card company will rectify any mistakes. Not a big deal.

It is a big deal. It is very violating and it's a hassle. It feels absolutely awful to be violated in this way. Stressful, worrisome, inconvenient, annoying, irritating, troubling, disturbing, unsettling. It is a big deal.

So what to do? We try to minimize using our credit cards when traveling (except in hotels) and make very liberal use of our ATM card to obtain cash. And we always check our credit card accounts (online) on a very routine basis when traveling. We also agree that its wise (and sometimes required) to notify your credit card companies and ATM issuing bank of your trip itinerary.

Hank

Actually, my credit union has said that ATM usage is more dangerous than using your credit card. If they get the right info from your ATM card, they can take everything out of your bank account and it's just too bad, no recourse. If you are using Visa, they can delete the charges to you and get you a new card. (Not to say we haven't used our ATM card when traveling, too, but we limit it's use much more than the credit card!) Be sure to get RFID covers or RFID wallet for your cards and also passport -- they can be read too for the personal data there without leaving your pocket! They just have to pass by someone with a reader. The RFID covers are cheap to get. I know you can get them at AAA and travel stores. I use them here in the US, too, because those readers are a problem in some places here, too, I understand.

Hank

It always feels strange to hand our cards over to total strangers (usually in restaurants) when we're in the U.S as we're used to the waiter bringing the credit card machine to us. In the UK, the person taking the payment doesn't even touch the card.

I'm not sure about the 100% security of the RFID cards but the chip & pin cards are very safe.

It is a big deal. It is very violating and it's a hassle. It feels absolutely awful to be violated in this way. Stressful, worrisome, inconvenient, annoying, irritating, troubling, disturbing, unsettling. It is a big deal.

Yes, it is a big deal is right. Recently I was in Florida and my bank notified me of suspected fraud on my credit card, which was being used in Washington DC without my knowledge. This card is the one I would ordinarily have used throughout my trip and during my travel back home. The card was canceled and a new one issued, but it took a week to be mailed to my home. Sure didn't help me in Florida. Had I not had another card with me, this could have turned into a very big deal! The people who are blase about it have obviously never been put into that kind of situation.

Yes, it is a big deal is right. Recently I was in Florida and my bank notified me of suspected fraud on my credit card, which was being used in Washington DC without my knowledge. This card is the one I would ordinarily have used throughout my trip and during my travel back home. The card was canceled and a new one issued, but it took a week to be mailed to my home. Sure didn't help me in Florida. Had I not had another card with me, this could have turned into a very big deal! The people who are blase about it have obviously never been put into that kind of situation.

this just happened to me last week. I was visiting my son in the DC area.

First nite we went to a casual restaurant.. by the next morning Chase called and told me my card was compromised (I had told them I would be traveling to DC). They let me take $100 from an ATM for the entire week. Thank goodness I had other credit cards with me. By the time I got home, I had a new card.

Actually, my credit union has said that ATM usage is more dangerous than using your credit card. If they get the right info from your ATM card, they can take everything out of your bank account and it's just too bad, no recourse. If you are using Visa, they can delete the charges to you and get you a new card. (Not to say we haven't used our ATM card when traveling, too, but we limit it's use much more than the credit card!) Be sure to get RFID covers or RFID wallet for your cards and also passport -- they can be read too for the personal data there without leaving your pocket! They just have to pass by someone with a reader. The RFID covers are cheap to get. I know you can get them at AAA and travel stores. I use them here in the US, too, because those readers are a problem in some places here, too, I understand.

1) There is recourse if your bank account is wiped out due to ATM fraud. It happened to me in Barcelona. I called the bank right away and the money was replaced within a few days and I was not held liable. You do have to file a police report -- which I did.

2) The main reason for having chip and pin cards is that even if the "chip" is scanned by someone, they cannot do anything with it without having the pin. Same with a passport -- nearly all of the times you'd use a passport, they want to see the actual book for ID, you can't just give them a number.

You can get a replacement card the next day with some credit card companies. When my wallet was stolen in Barcelona, I was able to have a replacement card Fed Exed to me (at no charge). It would have come the next day, but the next day was a Sunday, so it arrived on Monday.

That said, when traveling I have a separate account not linked to my other accounts that I use to withdraw money. Also, I keep a secondary credit card somewhere safe (not on me), such as in the ship or hotel safe, just in case of theft or mishap.

1) Also, I keep a secondary credit card somewhere safe (not on me), such as in the ship or hotel safe, just in case of theft or mishap.

This is the first year I've decided to bring a separate card with me - hopefully I'll never use it. It will be kept separately to be used only in case my first card is compromised and has to be cancelled.

As for RFID cards, I have foil sleeves for my card to prevent scanning when they are in the sleeve. I have one for my passport to. (They're actually paper covered foil sleeves that I bought inexpensively, so they're more durable than just foil.)

Chase does have chip enabled cards. But it'll still be chip and sign...they have no desire to go chip and PIN. And you have to specifically request the cards too...they aren't sending them out as a matter of course.

Archived