3 In A Room

chrismakris

Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how "comfortable" a room would be on the Celebrity Summit with 3 people in it and if we could add a person for the extra person price after we have booked.

I was thinking of inviting my father-in-law on a cruise my wife and I are already booked on.

We are in a 2B category Veranda stateroom.

If it makes a difference I am not big on just staying in the room.

A couple of years ago, my son wanted to ask a friend to join Us. We couldn't add the third person without losing the rates we originally booked at. At the time, there were no perks like 123 but I'm guessing that we would have lost those too if we had them. Things may have changed since then and we weren't really aware of the "ask a different agent, get a different answer" rule.

Having always traveled with 3 in a room, I personally wouldn't do it with all adults unless you have a FOV, suite or in the very least, a CC which are slightly larger. I can't imagine your FIL sleeping in the bunk over your head and the pullout leaves little room to move around the cabin. Even then, issues such as shared bathroom, snoring, privacy while dressing, and closet room would drive me nuts but that's just me.

It depends on the cabin you are in - some only accommodate 3. I considered allowing my son to bring someone with us on our upcoming cruise and was told we would have to switch cabins - and lose the Concierge class perks. It will also depend on how booked the ship is - even if your room can hold 4 if they are at capacity they won't allow you to add anyone to your reservation.

Sorry - I see you are two looking to add a third - We usually take our son (18) with us so three in a cabin isn't bad he's never complained about the pullout being uncomfortable - but he's a kid getting a free trip - not sure if my back would be out of whack if I tried to sleep on it.

Sorry - I see you are two looking to add a third - We usually take our son (18) with us so three in a cabin isn't bad he's never complained about the pullout being uncomfortable - but he's a kid getting a free trip - not sure if my back would be out of whack if I tried to sleep on it.

If I was getting a free trip, I suppose the pull out would suffice. Then again, I wouldn't want to be the third wheel either.:D

If the booked cabin can accommodate three, you'll be able to add another without having to cancel and book another cabin. I was part of a group of five women who sailed Summit in May. Three of them shared a concierge class cabin, a bit larger than the one you have booked, and they did fine. If three women could manage, I think you'll do fine.

One night around 2 am we seen a person sleeping in the library.

Seen people late at night also sleeping in the large hammock on the pool deck, and in the Hideaway.

We figured they got locked out of their cabin, or it could be the cabin was too crowded.

Cruise ship cabins are very small and the bathroom is the size of a closet. I wouldn't sail with 3 in a cabin unless it was a small child in which case you have to have 3 in your cabin. If you choose a suite then it would be tolerable. Check the sq. ft. of the cabin and then at home mark it off and you'll see how small an area it really is. Add two beds and a chair and closet and see you will be bumping into each other if you all try to get dressed at the same time.

Cruised ONCE with 3 of us gals in a standard cabin on Connie. In that case it only worked because we didn't care about privacy - someone would shower while someone else dressed, while the 3rd just had to wait and watch :eek: Once the pullout was opened there was no room to walk.

It is a good idea to look at the size of bedroom in your house and compare to the size of a cabin. Picture it with three adults (don't forget that the square footage of the stateroom includes the bathroom.

How comfortable will it be? That depends on how much privacy you want.

One practical idea is for one or two of you to plan to shower and change clothes up in the spa area. That frees up the pressure on the in-room shower time as you are getting ready for dinner after a day in the sun or sightseeing.

Have sailed three to a cabin many times, but the third was our son. As he grew into adulthood, it got to be very tight in the cabin. Unless you are very, very close (meaning, enjoy each other's company ALOT) then I could not recommend it. Another consideration is physical condition. The pull-out beds on some of the ships range from horrible to beyond horrible. (I do not recall your ship - but S class are definitely better than M class). I do not know the age or physical condition of your FIL but if he is not fairly young in excellent shape, you may be the one sleeping on the pull out! We have also had an issue once in sharing a room with our 80+ year old aunt due to physical reasons. She was somewhat hard of hearing and wanted the TV LOUD at all times. She also felt the cold much more than a younger person and cranked up the temp in the room way beyond what was comfortable for us. This is not a criticism of anyone - in her case it was just a part of aging and if you think these things don't matter I suggest you get back to me by about the third day:).

We had 3 ladies in our cabin on the summit to Bermuda. Was a little tight when the sofa bed was open but we managed. For the shower issues, two of us had our showers at the spa changing rooms. 10'x's better then the ones in the cabins,also great place to do your hair.

Joanne

Thank you for all your responses.

I am not the type to stay in my room. I would rather read a book in the library or explore the ship. I don't envision spending a lot of time in the room after we set sail.

We are going to be in 5 ports so there will not be a ton of down time where we will be trying to maneuver around the room. Basically its going to be do our tour, get ready for dinner, do some activity on the ship and then go to bed.

We get along very well and don't see many issues coming about. We would like to take him somewhere, seeing as he hasn't had a true vacation anywhere for many years.

I am not the type to stay in my room. I would rather read a book in the library or explore the ship. I don't envision spending a lot of time in the room after we set sail.

We are going to be in 5 ports so there will not be a ton of down time where we will be trying to maneuver around the room. Basically its going to be do our tour, get ready for dinner, do some activity on the ship and then go to bed.

We get along very well and don't see many issues coming about. We would like to take him somewhere, seeing as he hasn't had a true vacation anywhere for many years.

We have done it many times with our son who is an adult and 6"6". Wife usually does the closet and we live out of suitcases except our clothes that need to be hung up. My son and I will usually take showers in the gym so that makes it easy for the wife who of course takes longer to get ready than both of us put together.

We are rarely in the room, this is not something that I would do at a hotel resort where weather might keep you inside but on a cruise it's not a problem.

Sounds like you have a good relationship and I applaude your desire to give a trip to your FIL. I THINK you are paying for it, but am not sure if I just read that into your thread. You obviously think he can handle either the pull out or the bunk without trouble. I wonder if you have asked him about his view on sharing? It just may be he is not too keen on the idea for a variety of reasons.

If he would be paying for himself, perhpas he could contribute a ittle more and raise the booking to a somewhat larger cabin. Whatever, I wish you all a great trip.

Your father in law is really fortunate!!! Have fun!!:):)

@muffin We haven't run this by him yet. He is the kind of person who would ok with sharing but we are not going to purchase without asking first. We would definitely paying for him.

@dkjretired I would probably be the one showering in the gym, which I am ok with.

You cannot wait until the last minute to add people to your cabin. Once the ship reaches capacity, even if you had only two people booked in a quad cabin, they won't allow another person to be added. There are rules about this, having to do with lifeboat capacity. So, if you want to add your FIL, it's best to do it as soon as possible.

Another thought. I seem to remember hearing that cruise lines will pair up single cruisers. Is that true?

I know that it will be a crap shoot on who your roommate will be if they do this, but it would be another option.

Another thought. I seem to remember hearing that cruise lines will pair up single cruisers. Is that true?

I know that it will be a crap shoot on who your roommate will be if they do this, but it would be another option.

I don't know if it is true but I thought they only did that on tours like Contiki.:D

No, Celebrity does not do that. Years ago, HAL did but I don't know

if they still do. I always sail solo but you could not pay me to sail

with someone I have never met:eek:....I don't even share with someone

I do know.

Archived