Prinsendam : quick report

travlin

We are having a lovely cruise. Poland and Lithuania were fascinating ports to visit. I still can't believe I was there. Poland was always one of those places I never thought I would get to visit.

We did miss our Sweden stop because of the weather. Tendering would be too dangerous. We were able to do an overnight in Poland instead.

We will not be docking in Warnemunde. Rather, we will dock in Rostock. The stabilizer had been damaged in an earlier voyage. There will be a repair made then. The Captain said this would usually be done at dry dock, but the ship will not be at dry dock for 2 years. So it will be done underwater. According to him, this is very rare. There is a group on board that will do the work. They have been on National Geographic for their unusual work. They will offer free shuttles to Warnemunde. The rest of the tours will remain the same.

I suspect we will all be watching the work being done. I think this is fascinating!

We seem to be clear of the virus as we are able to serve ourselves again. They are insistent with the sanitizing gel at restaurants, which I appreciate.

The crew is wonderful. My steward seems to know when I leave and cleans while I leave for breakfast. I never even see him. He must be a ninja steward! :)

So far, this has been a wonderful experience!

Glad to hear things are going well aboard the Elegant Explorer. Great to know that fabulous crew has nipped any possible Noro in the bud. Looks like you're headed for St. Petersburg, have a wonderful time there.

Roy

Thanks very much for reporting in. Rostock is just a lovely town - it would be a pleasure to dock there. Warnemunde is very close so the tours shouldn't be affected:)

Impressive that they are doing this underwater. It should be very interesting to see:)

Thanks for reporting in. I was very interested to hear about the stabiliser damage and how they are going to fix it. Does anyone know where the Prinsendam's stabilisers are located?

Michelle.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thanks for reporting in. I was very interested to hear about the stabiliser damage and how they are going to fix it. Does anyone know where the Prinsendam's stabilisers are located?

Michelle.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Like most ship's stabilizers they are located near amidships more then half-way down the hull. Unless the water is very clear....you would not see much of any underwater repair job other then divers going under the water (they usually work off a barge).

Hank

Thanks for checking in. This sounds like a most interesting cruise, and for more than just the itinerary. Although that itinerary sounds great, too! How I would love to add Lithuania to my list of countries visited! I envy you.

Like most ship's stabilizers they are located near amidships more then half-way down the hull. Unless the water is very clear....you would not see much of any underwater repair job other then divers going under the water (they usually work off a barge).

Hank

Thanks Hank.

Michelle.

Thanks for the update! I'm a little surprised that you actually got to go to Lithuania - that's a country that's frequently skipped, even on so-called "Baltic" itineraries. Which port/city did you get to see? I spent a good deal of time there a few years ago...

Thanks for the update! I'm a little surprised that you actually got to go to Lithuania - that's a country that's frequently skipped, even on so-called "Baltic" itineraries. Which port/city did you get to see? I spent a good deal of time there a few years ago...

We were in Klaipeda. We also went to a resort town. Beautiful!

• 2 weeks later...
Today Prinsedam' s divers are still trying to fix the stabiliser in port Amsterdam. Delay aprox. 10 hours. :mad:

Will you miss a port? is it a 10 hour delay from when you were originally going to leave? bummer - but, does it give you an overnight in that port? At least, if it did, that would be a small plus.

Too bad - I hope things get rectified for you quickly so that there are no more delays.

Today Prinsedam' s divers are still trying to fix the stabiliser in port Amsterdam. Delay aprox. 10 hours. :mad:

Oh dear, I am so sorry for you and this disruption, and the crews that are also probably frustrated to trying to get it done too. Thanks for these updates. Hope you find some nice marzipan cake somewhere close by and remember that old travel advice: there are no uninteresting streets in India -- so who knows what might be right around the corner from where you are now currently stuck. Best wishes.

Thanks for updating us about your trip. Let us know if you can observe any difference after the repairs are made. Love to hear Moreno about other thoughts about the ship.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Repairs take longer. They remove the stabilizer and will repair it and then replace It in three months (I guess we/they dont need them).

Departure postponed to 6 pm. Free shuttles to Amsterdam Center (museumplein) today. Total delay 25 hours. Cruise program to be rearranged.

Edited by PeetNL

Repairs take longer. They remove the stabilizer and will repair it and then replace It in three months (I guess we/they dont need them).

Departure postponed to 6 pm. Free shuttles to Amsterdam Center (museumplein) today. Total delay 25 hours. Cruise program to be rearranged.

WOW! - hopefully the itinerary doesn't get mucked up too much!:eek:

That's a big delay. Glad that they provided free shuttles for you.

Looking for a bright side to this - Amsterdam is a lovely place and certainly a great place to be 'stuck' in.:)

Thanks for coming back and letting us know. Hoping the rest of your cruise goes smoothly and there aren't too many changes to your itinerary.