Caribbean weather in December?

PS1818

Hi everyone, I'm sure this question has been asked a lot and I searched it but didn't come up with much. So I am trying here :) . What is the weather like in mid-December in the Caribbean? We are leaving 12/14 out of Miami and going to St. Thomas, St. Maarten, and Nassau. Will it be warm and sunny or cold and rainy? I really want to lay around in the sun with a fruity cold drink in hand! Thanks!!

We visited the Caribbean last December (sailed December 15th). We were lucky with rain only part of one day. In the islands the temperature was about 80 but the Bahamas were cooler (and that is where we had the rain).

No way to predict the weather for sure (if there was, somebody would be making a fortune!!!)

Our first Caribbean cruise was cold, rainy and windy for most (but not all) the time. Our second was perfectly sunny and hot for eight days straight.

Here's my advice. Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst. We were very happy to have our jeans, hoodies and raincoats the first time. And very glad to have our shorts and sunscreen the second time. And BTW, we had a great time on both cruises. People who cruise just before Christmas (as you will be) are so laid-back, it's just a delight. Let other people fight the holiday shopping hoards. We pre-Christmas cruisers don't miss the craziness at all.

I've never had really cool weather in the actual Caribbean--maybe 70 the lowest out of 20+ cruises there.

Nassau and Florida will probably be nice, but not as warm; 60-80. We've seldom had rain either area, but quick showers sometimes.

Like others have said, weather is unpredictable. We've needed light jackets in Ft. Lauderdale in December and also had 95 degrees in December when boarding.

Cruised the Caribbean during December for the last several years, last year a B2B on Allure of the Seas and Ruby Princess and before that a B2B on Celebrity Millennium. Doing it this year as well on a B2B on the brand new Royal Princess. The eastern Caribbean seems to get better breezes and to me at least was more comfortable than the western Caribbean. We did have a passing rain shower during the shore excursion in St. John but other than that the weather was very nice. Hoping for more of the same this year as I repeat the exact same itinerary that I did last year in Ruby Princess again this year on Royal Princess, two weeks in a row.

I'm cruising St Maarten, San Juan and Grand Turk late Jan/early Feb. Is the weather stated on previous posts indicative of what I can also expect during my cruise? Hoping it will be a bit warmer as I hate the cold. I just realized that if I need any warm weather clothes that I may need to purchase in next couple of months since shopping in Dec or Jan for warm weather might be difficult. Any excuse to shop, right???:D

Thanks for the input.

Bermuda and the Bahamas have "Florida" type weather

...neither are actually in the Caribbean.

The Caribbean Islands themselves are warm to hot year round. ===> Yes.

Thank you for your geographical clarification.

See where I live?

I live where it's Hot at 13 degrees N.of the Equator

and where it cools down to just Warm in December.

Our temps rarely get below 70 degrees F.

even those "chilly" rainy nights between mid-December and mid-January

We did western Carribbean. It was pleasantly warm (hot even) at all the ports. There was one day where I put a sweater on to go on deck (due to the wind and sun behind a cloud) but people were still laying out in swimsuits, soaking up the sun. It was a perfect day for the hot tub. This was early December.

We've been to your ports many times at the end of December (Christmas/New Year's). Almost always great weather in St. Maarten and St. Thomas! Florida and Nassau can be quite chilly!

Plan on having a wonderful cruise! :)

LuLu

~~~~

Archived