Do you use a lanyard for your sea pass?

StevenStephen

Yes, I wear a lanyard. If I look like a newbie, so be it. There are worse things to look like. I probably look like one anyway. I'm always excited about cruising.

On the contrary, I think that wearing a lanyard makes you look like an experienced cruiser.

But they are so comfy! Sorry they are coming with me :D

We had thought about this, I even started a thread about sea cards. Only thing with this is - don't you have to hand your card over to get scanned when getting drinks? Or are you just unclipping it from somewhere and then reclipping it?

Mine has a plastic sleeve.

BTW, for people who keep a credit card out to use on the safe, I generally carry expired loyalty cards with me that works fine in most hotels - haven't tried it on an RCI safe yet.

Hi, a couple of people have mentioned the safe...why do you need a credit card for it? Ta

forceten - Have Customer Service punch a hole in your card, then attach it to your lanyard clip. Unclips easily to hand over for drinks.

White queen - Some older ships have room safes that lock by sliding a magnetic strip card, like a credit card or even a library card. Newer safes lock by punching in a 4 number code of your choice.

Hi, a couple of people have mentioned the safe...why do you need a credit card for it? Ta

Some safes use a four digit combination. Others use the magnetic strip from a credit card to open and close the safe.

forceten - Have Customer Service punch a hole in your card, then attach it to your lanyard clip. Unclips easily to hand over for drinks.

They won't punch a hole on Anthem because of the RFID antenna in the card. It can be done but you have to be careful where you do it.

Also, not all lanyards allow you to unclip. The CC lanyard I use has this feature.

When I go off the ship, I like a soft lanyard because I loop it around the handle of any bag I am carrying and drop it down inside easily. I can simply pull the cord and retrieve my card from a beach bag or purse. On board I sometimes use a sparkly one. And I take magnet hook and hang it on the wall by the bed when I am in the room. I hate looking for my key. Women often don't have pockets.

...with steviewonder1 and BlueRiband. it just screams, "I'M A NEWBIE"

seen people are not new to cruising with them too ,

i think it is handy you don't lose your card , i would not have one with my money or credit card in it in case a snatch and grab of it if just a cruise card they would not bother with it .

everyone has different opinions on whether to have one or not each to their own i say , :) but i will always have one so i don't miss place my cruise card when i cruise

oops lol saw when this was posted lol

Edited by Hawka

I don't understand what difference it makes if you "look like a newbie" or "tourist"

I do use one. One that hooks on my belt loop with a retractable string on it.

Just unhook and hand it to who ever needs it.

I'm not a newbie but I am a tourist. I figure if your in a cruise port, you will be spotted as a tourist in about 2 seconds no matter what.

I don't understand what difference it makes if you "look like a newbie" or "tourist"

I do use one. One that hooks on my belt loop with a retractable string on it.

Just unhook and hand it to who ever needs it.

I'm not a newbie but I am a tourist. I figure if your in a cruise port, you will be spotted as a tourist in about 2 seconds no matter what.

Agree fully

I am a super fan of the lanyard, personally. This way I know I won't loose it and it's on me at all times. I am a tourist, not a newbie... I simply tuck the lanyard in my shirt at port if necessary. Pretty sure we are all tourists at the ports, isn't that the point of stoping there? :) minus the locals and folks that work at the port, we clearly all just got off one ship or another. :)

I don't understand what difference it makes if you "look like a newbie" or "tourist."

If you read all the lanyard threads that come up from time to time on the different boards, you'd be led to believe that if you are in a suite or you're a senior loyalty club member, you're bragging. On the other hand, if you have a plain-jane card, you're a newbie tourist. You just can't win. ;)

Newbie? Hell, I wished I looked like a newbie. I have only been on 8 cruises and three of them were on MSTS ships. You have not cruised until you have been on MSTS. (Military Sea Transportation Service...MATS + Military Air Transportation Service)

There are times that I go places where I keep a hotel room key on a lanyard which is tucked under my shirt. Damn convenient. sometimes I will keep the cardkey in my pocket, but having a lanyard gives me a choice so I always bring one. I am not worried what anyone thinks.

My suggestion is to bring one and use it when it is convenient and tuck it in when you leave the ship.

BTW: Don't worry that when off the ship that locals will know you're a tourist. They will spot you from a mile away.

While onboard the ship yes. Being in a wheelchair just makes it easier to carry than in pocket that might hit one of my wheels an knock the card out.

Every cruise I find at least 5-10 peoples cards on the floor.

• 3 weeks later...

My elderly mother would say "your 3000+ newest BF's on that ship don't know you from Adam's housecat, and you'll never see them again so don't worry about what they think". Its your room key, do what you think will work best for you. Hang, tie, pin, stuff, or tape it in/to/from whatever is most comfortable for you to keep track of it. :D