Do you use a lanyard for your sea pass?

StevenStephen

I like wearing lanyards when crushing to hot places since most of my shorts/ summer clothes don't have pockets - so it's lanyard or purse and I have no desire to carry a purse. It also depends on the ship. We've been on the Disney Dream 3 times and they actually give you a lanyard after your first trip. The lanyard works there because they have a tap system to get in your room. We just went on the RCL Oasis and you can't tap, so you'd have to take the card out every time if you have the kind with a pocket.

I don't care if it looks dorky, I really don't care what other people think of me. My 9 yr old thinks lanyards are cool lol

We wore lanyards on our first cruise and will wear them on our next. I often didn't have pockets or carried a bag. I knew I wouldn't put it down and wander off without it. I didn't feel the need to wear it ashore as when we went ashore I had a bag with me. Same when we stay in hotels, I don't leave the hotel room without a bag. I wander around the ship without a bag as the cruise card is all I need.

I am now old enough to be unconcerned about others assessment of my coolness!

...I am now old enough to be unconcerned about others assessment of my coolness!

My favorite comment on a very old post on Cruise Critic:

As my father used to say, "You wouldn't worry so much what other people think about you, if you knew how seldom they did."

It absolutely does NOT tag you as a newbie! I always use a lanyard on the ship and put it in my bag off ship but still on its lanyard so I can find it in my bag and it is ready to go back on my neck when I get back to the pier. If you want to wear it do so, and be proud of the fact you did your homework as a new cruiser! One suggestion would be to bring a lanyard from home. They can punch it in the shops or at the pursers desk. If you want one that has your cruise line logo, you can buy one on board.

On board ship it tags you as a newbie - off ship it targets you for possible terrorist attack. Put the thing in your pocket.

I want to look like a newbie. I wish I were a newbie. You can't be a member of the "Domain of the Golden Dragon" and be a newbie. It doesn't take a lanyard for them to spot you. They can smell you from a nautical mile away. (Should I say they can detect your lack of smell.) However, ashore the lanyard is just in your way. That's when I put them in my pocket.

On board ship it tags you as a newbie - off ship it targets you for possible terrorist attack. Put the thing in your pocket.

so the cruisers that have been on multiple cruises are newbies are they ??? seen plenty on my cruise that wear them , whether they wear them or not that is the choice of those people whether they are new or not who cares really it is their choice and that is what matters , don't give a rats what people think if i wear one which i did , meant i did not lose it simple as that i was new at it and yes even if i have cruised 30 times if not more in the future i will have a lanyard and i will wear it with my card attached to it and not care in the world what others think , it is my holiday after all to do what i wish to do :)

Hi there. One tip that I've often seen suggested is to get a lanyard to hold the ship sea pass. I sort of like the idea...in particular I have seen a waterproof one that would hold the pass, some cash and an ID. This sounds like a great idea for beach excursions.

Oh, and I'll admit that I've seen those sparkly rhinestone lanyards on Amazon.com. Tempting if only because they just look fun.

Thoughts?

They are great. I have a few depending upon my outfit

I am not a newbie and find if for example i want to just go to the gym, the pool I do not need any pockets

Edited by Cruise a holic

• 2 weeks later...

I've been considering a lanyard for my next cruise, but I may not end up doing so. It'd be convenient, I know, but it's dorky as hell. The one thing I do have that I use is a waterproof lanyard for the beach and pool. I don't want to leave my cabin card (or at a hotel, my room card) with my other stuff. I know on a cruise, it's highly unlikely that someone's going to rob my cabin, but I'd really just rather keep things like that on me. It'll store other things, of course, although I've yet to feel comfortable putting a phone or an electronic key fob in it, no matter how much the manufacturer swears that they won't get wet.

• 1 month later...
This thread started out as a serious question, but I just laughed my butt off reading all the replies!

The reason I asked in the first place is that, while I've gotten better over the years, I still misplace things. I'd probably keep my lanyard under my shirt or jacket. Heck, I might just put a big "Hi, My Name Is..." on it. I don't mind if somebody thinks I'm a noobie...I will be! I've pretended I've known what I was doing for years...long enough to know that it's exhausting.

Gosh, In a few minutes I've gone from being embarrassed for asking about lanyards...to deciding that I'm going to have a wardrobe of them. A black rhinestone one for formal night (with my black suit), maybe a blue rhinestone (or orange to match my bathing suit) one for by the pool...and that waterproof thing for the excursions.

Oh, and if somebody has the GUTS to snatch that from my neck...God help them. I'm 6' 2" and one darn fast running muscle bear.:eek:

I want to party with *anyone* who has a wardrobe of lanyards. And coordinating with your bathing suit? *Brilliant*

Lanyards are a must - I have four kids, and they carry their own cards on lanyards tucked into their clothing.

Having been on over a dozen cruises, we love the convenience of the lanyard. I'm on the cruise to enjoy myself. Besides, I don't feel very dorky with my DIAMOND hanging around my neck from my lanyard. ;)

I couldn't find a lanyard that was long enough to suit me so I bought a package of long shoelaces and added the clip that I took off another lanyard and made my own.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Office Supply, Staples...just about ANY place like this sells a magnetic disc with a hook on it. We put this on the wall in the cabin and that's where the lanyard goes. Everyone just grabs their lanyard, tucks it inside their shirt and we are ready to head out of the cabin. One of the best and most convenient things about the lanyard is having it handy when we are ready to get back on the ship.

I never cared for the lanyard around the neck.

Instead, I opted for a retractable badge reel.

Most any outfit has something that it can be clipped to.

I usually have a belt loop to use.

Worked like a charm.

You can get a hole clipped into your seapass on the ship.

Or you can use one of the waterproof cases.

You can also use this and just tuck the card into a pocket when on excursion.

Here is what I got...but there are many different varieties.

http://www.amazon.com/KEY-BAK-SIDEKICK-PROFESSIONAL-RETRACTING-KEVLAR/dp/B00TS3UT42?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

Edited by lottathought

Hi there. One tip that I've often seen suggested is to get a lanyard to hold the ship sea pass. I sort of like the idea...in particular I have seen a waterproof one that would hold the pass, some cash and an ID. This sounds like a great idea for beach excursions.

Oh, and I'll admit that I've seen those sparkly rhinestone lanyards on Amazon.com. Tempting if only because they just look fun.

Thoughts?

No need to advertise

I never cared for the lanyard around the neck.

Instead, I opted for a retractable badge reel.

Most any outfit has something that it can be clipped to.

I usually have a belt loop to use.

Worked like a charm.

You can get a hole clipped into your seapass on the ship.

Or you can use one of the waterproof cases.

You can also use this and just tuck the card into a pocket when on excursion.

Here is what I got...but there are many different varieties.

http://www.amazon.com/KEY-BAK-SIDEKICK-PROFESSIONAL-RETRACTING-KEVLAR/dp/B00TS3UT42?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

i got this and the lanyard love the retractable ones they are cool